• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, the masters of spoiling the party

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameGamer

besada said:
No doubt that Sony always does this and a certain set of fans and journalists always fall for it, though.

That's my big complaint.

Sony can do whatever they want. But the media has to call them out on it. Bring up their history of bringing talk to the table when another company is about to bring product, etc.

Question the suspicious announcements, the odd timing, push for actual shipping dates, maybe even use the phrase "so if this doesn't make it to market this year what else do you have lined up?".

And of course I don't mean they should do it just to Sony.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I could point out the underdeliveries from Microsoft, Nintendo, Philips, LG, Audi, Mercedes, etc etc but it would be a waste of time since some of you already got "Sony is teh anti-christ and blah blah blah" stuck in their heads.

They all do this. Anyone who's been following for a while knew there wasn't going to be 2 HDMI ports on the PS3, Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros. weren't going to launch with the Wii, and there wouldn't be virtual clothing stores run by users on 360.

hc2 said:
I have all three consoles- the PS3 and Wii have a fine coat of dust on them as I look at them. The 360 is still warm. All three are launch buys. All three have had no mechanical problems. It just seems with Live and the game line-up, the 360 gets used 95% of the time. If the one I have failed, I would buy another. I am not sure I would do the same if the PS3 or Wii failed.
And as far as pre-release hype goes. the proof is in the pudding-SALES. The 360 and Wii are making money for their respective manufacturers. As far as I can tell, Sony is still losing money on their console (going by various posts and news items in various places). So what did they gain?

First, tell me does this statement have any relevance to the conversation. Less gamers more analyst? I still don't get why you guys get riled up about this stuff. I mean, if you bought in to the hype and you're dissapointed, then you have an argument. But dissing a company just for kicks......

El-Suave

Everybody does this - i.e. I'm still waiting to buy a t-shirt from VelocityGirl on Live marketplace and to design and beef up Forza cars on my cellphone. You could go on and on.

Night_Trekker said:

Wat?

The "Toy Story" comparison used in the Sony article is from a reporter.

The "Toy Story" quote used in the Microsoft article came directly from a Microsoft representative.

You honestly can't tell the difference? How can you post on a message board if you have such trouble with basic reading comprehension?

People have searched the web far and wide for this mythical Sony-"Toy Story" quote. FOR YEARS, ever since this myth started. NO ONE HAS EVER FOUND A DIRECT LINK TO SONY AND THE "TOY STORY" QUOTE. Yet the Microsoft link is easy to find, and was reported by more than one source.

Why is this lie still being told in 2008, when everybody knows the truth?

Slamo said:
xbox_boat.jpg
haha first thing that came to mind when I read the thread title :lol

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Yikes, GAF. Touchy, touchy.

I'm no fanboy of anything and I think the OP makes some valid points.

Even in the case of the Project Reality/N64, while there were plenty of blatant bullshots and overpromises, it was all pretty transparent proof-of-concept tech demo type stuff, they didn't really try to pass that virtual museum with framed Mario characters off as a full game or anything. I don't recall any really notable first-party vaporware coming out of the pre-hype. That Final Fantasy VI tech demo maybe misdirected some people, but if we're playing that game, PS3 did the exact same thing with FFVII, which is perhaps more damning because that time around, people in the west actually knew what FF was.

Every console has its vaporware, but with Sony it's been a bit more extreme than elsewhere. An installment in a bubillion-selling franchise like Gran Turismo Portable turning out to be smoke isn't even comparable to a niche offering like True Fantasy Live Online or Robotech: Crystal Dreams or whatever, it's on another level entirely. People bought a PSP for the eventual promise of GT Portable, and considering it was there in force at the system's unveil and even had mock-up UMDs made and shown front and center, I can't fault them; Sony treated it as though it was practically guaranteed.

Getaway and 8 Days are less egregious violations, but they were still 1st party showings whose footage got prime real estate at conferences. Potential high-profile apps for the system and now they don't exist. I don't really begrudge Sony that or anything fundamentally, cancellations happen, but they were definitely trotted out with much more force than, say, Project HAMMER.

jay

gcubed said:
i would say most, if not all big business, in most, if not all aspects of corporate life over promise and under deliver on concepts.

My point is, its not a new revelation that all of a sudden started with Sony, and they are so horrificly bad they are bringing down the "industry as a whole" as one poster put it.

By fixating on only the most extreme positions you've decided that it's not worth discussing and also demonstrated you can only see this as a black and white issue. If you think the OP is wrong why not offer some sort of counter point that's not "grow up"?

Let me also assure you that the OP doesn't become true if you fail come in and insult it.

Otheradam

The OP has a valid point. Does anyone not remember the PS2 launch? That thing was hyped to be the second coming, and it launch with no big name title, yet it still sold like hot cakes. Their first party support was a joke for the first year.

Does any of that sound familiar? Oh yeah, the PS3 launched was almost exactly the same, except this time, not as many people were willing to pay $599 US dollars for a console with no games on it.

hc2

slicedking said:
First, tell me does this statement have any relevance to the conversation. Less gamers more analyst? I still don't get why you guys get riled up about this stuff. I mean, if you bought in to the hype and you're dissapointed, then you have an argument. But dissing a company just for kicks......

Not dissing, just making an observation. And I have a right to post my comments just as you have a right to misunderstand. My main point was what did the "hype' do for Sony? Not a whole lot as far as I can tell.

Pristine_Condition said:
Wat?

The "Toy Story" comparison used in the Sony article is from a reporter.

The "Toy Story" quote used in the Microsoft article came directly from a Microsoft representative.

You honestly can't tell the difference? How can you post on a message board if you have such trouble with basic reading comprehension?

People have searched the web far and wide for this mythical Sony-"Toy Story" quote. FOR YEARS, ever since this myth started. NO ONE HAS EVER FOUND A DIRECT LINK TO SONY AND THE "TOY STORY" QUOTE. Yet the Microsoft link is easy to find, and was reported by more than one source.

Why is this lie still being told in 2008, when everybody knows the truth?
would microsoft have ever said it without the widely believed Sony story already being out there?

Metalmurphy said:
Nope, RR7 is true 1080p @ 60fps.

There's some NBA game that's also 1080p60.
if you're talking about NBA Homecourt that's 1080p30... but i'm fairly sure VT3 is 1080p60 on both PS3 and 360.

and the op was pretty clear in saying 'everyone does it, but sony do it best'... so all these examples of nintendo and microsoft doing it are kind of missing the point.

plagiarize said:
if you're talking about NBA Homecourt that's 1080p30... but i'm fairly sure VT3 is 1080p60 on both PS3 and 360.
No, I'm talking about the one that's exclusive to PS3.

Oh and seems that Full Auto 2 is also 1080p60

*edit* It's NBA07/08

Wish that there would have been a thread called "Early insights - the good and the bad", but...

Try to imagine a games industry that:
- doesn't show early artwork
- doesn't interview people during pre-production
- doesn't show pre-alpha screenshots
- doesn't let people try out actual gameplay in alpha stage
- doesn't show prototypes and early concepts
- doesn't involve the public in their great visions and plans for the future
- only show games when they are 100% finished

all because the internet can't understand projects, hardware, concepts, services that get cancelled, revised, overhauled, scaled back, re-evaluated etc.

Personally, throughout my business career, I haven't seen a lot of very large scope projects go straight from concept to product without transforming a lot during the process. Most large companies have a portfolio of strategic projects and innovation projects and quite a few of these won't ever make it to the finish line. And they rightfully shouldn't - however, you don't know which ones until much further down the road.

hc2 said:
Not dissing, just making an observation. And I have a right to post my comments just as you have a right to misunderstand. My main point was what did the "hype' do for Sony? Not a whole lot as far as I can tell.
Forgive me if I misunderstood. But still, my point remains.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
plagiarize said:
would microsoft have ever said it without the widely believed Sony story already being out there?
'Toy Story graphics' is such an ubiquituous benchmark soundbite for 3D games that even if no one officially said it on the record, it's a fair bet that an employee somewhere mentioned it.

Regardless of the whole whys and wherefores of that specific quote, it's a pretty clear-cut case that Sony promised a lot more of the Emotion Engine than what we actually got.

Ajax said:
It hurts to know that you're not a joke character. When will the fanboys get a life and stop hating lifeless consoles? You take the fun of reading this forum with all this nonsense.
Newsflash: I do not loathe whatever box sits underneath your television set. How you got that from what I posted, I have no idea.

hc2

slicedking said:
Forgive me if I misunderstood. But still, my point remains.

I would love for the PS3 to do well and bring out more games that I enjoy playing. It would be a win, win, win situation if all 3 consoles lived up to their respective "hype' for me-except financially (@ $60/game).
But how about quit promising and disappointing?
I remember Half Life took most people by surprise, I remember GTA being a pleasant surprise, I remember Halo surprising everyone, recently Bioshock and Mass Effect kind of surprised a lot of people.
What if Sony (and Microsoft and Nintendo) did some walking before starting the talking? I like surprises, and hope to be surprised again. No more "Alone In The Dark"'s or "Haze"'s please.

squicken

Wasn't it the Mangod himself who said Killzone PS3 was a trailer before it was a game? Same with 8 Days and The Getaway. The difference is most publishers use CG trailers to reveal games in development that aren't ready to be shown. Sony uses CG to reveal games that don't exist.

minus_273

Banned
squicken said:
Wasn't it the Mangod himself who said Killzone PS3 was a trailer before it was a game? Same with 8 Days and The Getaway. The difference is most publishers use CG trailers to reveal games in development that aren't ready to be shown. Sony uses CG to reveal games that don't exist.

shane also talked about next-gen rumble in MGS4

Dave Long

Banned
Sony's use of this tactic to completely and utterly destroy Sega's Dreamcast is where it really grates my britches. People back then were so hyped up on Saddam Hussein steering missles with PS2 and ragging on the DC that they completely missed out on one of the best console lineups in history.

Now they're all buying Soul Calibur on Xbox Live Marketplace and have no idea how much has been chopped out of the original game or how crap it plays on Microsoft's shitty d-pad. :(

ascii42

Dave Long said:
Now they're all buying Soul Calibur on Xbox Live Marketplace and have no idea how much has been chopped out of the original game or how crap it plays on Microsoft's shitty d-pad. :(
How could anyone be unaware of that?

TheBranca18 said:
Are you trying to justify the statement?
i'm saying that going 'BUT IT WASN'T SONY IT WAS MICROSOFT' that said it isn't telling the whole story.

we don't know if Microsoft would have said it if it wasn't widely believed that Sony had... and it certainly isn't Microsoft's fault that everyone thought it was a claim Sony made.

has Sony ever denied that claim? did they know it was out there and not shoot it down?

a lot of gaf posters like to see one company as evil and one as guiltless, but the truth is far from that.

of course that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain when any company engages in shady or anti consumer tactics. i don't care if they all do it or not. i don't like it ever.

Sony bailed on LA Noire . . . but Rockstar picked it up. I suspect it will become dual-platform now. I can't see any other way for Rockstar to re-coupe their investment.

hc2 said:
I would love for the PS3 to do well and bring out more games that I enjoy playing. It would be a win, win, win situation if all 3 consoles lived up to their respective "hype' for me-except financially (@ $60/game).
But how about quit promising and disappointing?
I remember Half Life took most people by surprise, I remember GTA being a pleasant surprise, I remember Halo surprising everyone, recently Bioshock and Mass Effect kind of surprised a lot of people.
What if Sony (and Microsoft and Nintendo) did some walking before starting the talking? I like surprises, and hope to be surprised again. No more "Alone In The Dark"'s or "Haze"'s please.
Understood... But the talking and blatant boasting will never cease as long there is a business running.

tehbear

I went to Sony's part for things that weren't on the flyer. Can't really complain cause they didn't promise me those things. :(

Forsete

speculawyer said:
Sony bailed on LA Noire . . . but Rockstar picked it up. I suspect it will become dual-platform now. I can't see any other way for Rockstar to re-coupe their investment.

Team Bondi started working on that game in 2004, I wonder if we'll see it at E3?

Baha

theBishop said:
Sony uses CG to reveal games that don't exist cheat consumers out of their money.

Posts like this make you realize just how long certain people have been paying attention to the gaming industry if at all. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated in this thread but if it'll help I'll repeat it again.

All three current console makers have, at one point or another, used cg trailers to market future games. It's even become the trend in the industry for not just the console makers but for studios. That Gears of War 2 teaser? CG. That Resistance 2 teaser? CG. Go back even further, and you'll see worse examples. They do it to build up hype, plain and simple. Don't believe for a second that this is some kind of new phenomenon in gaming. It's been here since 2 generations ago.

Baha said:
Posts like this make you realize just how long certain people have been paying attention to the gaming industry if at all. I don't know how many times it has to be repeated in this thread but if it'll help I'll repeat it again.

All three current console makers have, at one point or another, used cg trailers to market future games. It's even become the trend in the industry for not just the console makers but for studios. That Gears of War 2 teaser? CG. That Resistance 2 teaser? CG. Go back even further, and you'll see worse examples. They do it to build up hype, plain and simple. Don't believe for a second that this is some kind of new phenomenon in gaming. It's been here since 2 generations ago.
the problem has always been CG pretending to be gameplay. i don't think anyone would have confused that Gears of War 2 teaser for gameplay.

And why was I banned last week for 5 days for making a joke about Sony causing lowered expectations in the industry? Yet - this topic and subsequent posts are fine!?

Mods please explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom