• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to have around 70 games at their E3 booth

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Keep those Indies coming Sony! I absolutely love the uniqueness and variety they bring to the table.

Anyone who's vehemently against Indies and FTP games probably doesn't own a PS4. Bitterness and envy are so frigin' ugly.

While i am not AS informed about indie games AS most of gaf, i See the uniqueness in visuals but have yet to See some great gameplay features that are not just a gimmick (oktodad) or already done a hundred times over (2d jump n run, sidescroller adventure). While I am sure there are plenty, it gets hard to find them when you have 70 of them thrown in your face.

I am not a defacto AAA fan, never bougth any cod, asscreed, battlefield etc. but i Miss the ps2 era AA games that are simply more ambitious then these indie games that I feel are more at home on my iPad.

Would much prefer it if only the top of the crop would find its way on consoles, as this would allow them to be recognised by ME.

Kssio_Aug

While i am not AS informed about indie games AS most of gaf, i See the uniqueness in visuals but have yet to See some great gameplay features that are not just a gimmick (oktodad) or already done a hundred times over (2d jump n run, sidescroller adventure). While I am sure there are plenty, it gets hard to find them when you have 70 of them thrown in your face.

I am not a defacto AAA fan, never bougth any cod, asscreed, battlefield etc. but i Miss the ps2 era AA games that are simply more ambitious then these indie games that I feel are more at home on my iPad.

Would much prefer it if only the top of the crop would find its way on consoles, as this would allow them to be recognised by ME.

Well, I dont know what kind of ambitious features youre looking for, but check out some indie games as: Resogun, Dont Starve, Stick it to the Man and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, aswell as Braid, FEZ and Limbo. And also check out about RIME, Galak-Z and The Witness!

All of those games are somewhat very original, and I would definitely call all of them ambitious. AND, theyre definitely games! And all of those that I said (except for those that still are not released), are also definitely better then many "big-budget" games out there from my point of view.

Just saw Fluster Cluck...

1450.gif

my god this is impressive. i wish i could go to E3 :(

Can't wait for a whole bunch these. Also it's great that it seems like Galak-Z, Secret Ponchos, and Cactus (and hopefully newer announcements like Hyper Light Drifter) are finally getting closer. That old livestream made me feel like Galak-Z was closer, so now I can't wait lol.

Also, can't freaking wait for Guilty Gear Xrd in the fall, so gorgeous.

Salex_

Take away one or two?

As for the other bit, I didn't buy a PS4 to buy PC indy game ports.

Then don't buy them? You have a functional brain, right?
Of course I don't buy them. That doesn't leave much else though. Also, way to go resorting to personal insults.

I'm asking a simple question. If your feelings are hurt I can't help you.

I have no sympathy for the lazy people who don't do research before buying a product.

Then don't buy them? You have a functional brain, right?

I'm asking a simple question. If your feelings are hurt I can't help you.

Yes I can see your question is pretty simple. Just like the rest.

I have no sympathy for the lazy people who don't do research before buying a product.

Ok, I will make sure my next console isn't a Steam box. Cheers.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Aaru’s Awakening Lumenox PS3
Apotheon Alientrap PS4
Axiom Verge Thomas Happ Games PS4
The Binding of Issac: Rebirth Nicalis PS4
CounterSpy SCE / Dynamighty PS4/PS3/PS Vita
Destiny Activision / Bungie PS4
Disgaea 4 NIS America PS Vita
DRIVECLUB SCE / Evolution Studios PS4
Freedom Wars SCE/SCE Japan Studios SHIFT and Dimps PS Vita
GALAK-Z: The Dimensional 17-BIT PS4
Helldivers SCE / Arrowhead Game Studios PS4/PS3
Hohokum SCE / Honeyslug PS4/PS3
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Devolver PS Vita
Hyper Light Drifter Heart Machine PS Vita
Jamestown Plus Final Form Games PS4
Killzone Shadow Fall Intercept SCE / Guerrilla Games PS4
Murasaki Baby SCE / Ovosonico PS Vita
Nidhogg Messhof PS4
Night in the Woods Finji Games PS4
Planetside 2 SOE PS4
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare EA PS4
Race the Sun Flippfly PS Vita
Secret Ponchos Switchblade Monkeys PS4
Source Fenixfire PS4
The Order: 1886 SCE / Ready At Dawn PS4
Valiant Hearts Ubisoft PS4
Velocity 2X FuturLab PS4

There are a lot of games coming out. How am I going to afford this? There's even a lot of games on that list I don't remember having been announced. It's just insane. 2015 is going to be fucking amazing for gamers.

Grimløck;115118173 said:
housemarque is an independent studio.

So if a game, say, Wonderful 101, is made by independent studio (Platinum) and is published by someone else (Nintendo), it means the game is an Indy?

sub_o

Axiom Verge Thomas Happ Games PS4
Danganronpa 2 NIS America PS Vita
Disgaea 4 NIS America PS Vita
GALAK-Z: The Dimensional 17-BIT PS4
Guilty Gear Xrd Aksys Games PS4
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Devolver PS Vita
Hyper Light Drifter Heart Machine PS Vita
Jamestown Plus Final Form Games PS4
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix Square Enix PS3
Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty Oddworld Inhabitants, Inc PS4
Rogue Legacy Cellar Door PS Vita

Wow quite a number of games that I'm interested in knowing more.

Indie is such a misappropriated term nowadays.

Just call them smaller-scope digital titles if you really want to put a label to them.

What exactly is a 'real game'?

Didn't you know, anything that cost less than 10 million dollars to make is not a real game. /s

Qassim

So if a game, say, Wonderful 101, is made by independent studio (Platinum) and is published by someone else (Nintendo), it means the game is an Indy?

You've hit upon the debate on what 'indie' even means. Valve, for example, is an independent game studio that funds their own games and publishes their own games, using EA as a distributor only for their physical copies of games.

In many regards, Valve fit the criteria for what should be considered an independent game developer. But people don't call them 'indie' - people have this really specific idea on what an 'indie' developer and an indie game is - but that specific idea varies person to person.

HORRORSHØW

the taxonomy and distinction of these games get blurred when independent studios are funded for their projects by publishers. i would consider it an indie game insofar that it's made by an independent studio. is a kickstarted indie game any less an indie game?

but that specific idea varies person to person.

Yup.

Indie can mean the most literal sense of independently published/developed game like Half Life 2 or it could also be a derogatory term used to sarcastically deem them less than games to 2 different people.

I think for many people indy games are (not that I agree):

- games released on digital platform only
- games made by companies that are never heard of (that is, not Konami, Capcom etc.) and do not cost full price
- "free" PS+ games
- "quick PC" ports

I think (and a personal opinion, not a dogma) that the PS4 has so many Indy games rests on two things:

1. AA/AAA games are very expensive to make so the number of these is diminishing all the time (due to the risks involved), so Sony encourage Indy games to 'fill in the gaps'
2. The fact that the PS4 runs on an x86 CPU it makes it "easy" to port.

Feel free to debunk :)

sublimit

Banned
Apotheon Alientrap PS4
DRIVECLUB SCE / Evolution Studios PS4

I think these are the only ones that really interest me from that list.

Damn, I just realised that Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Shadow of the Beast aren't on there. I had expected they'd be 2015 releases, but I hope we get to see more of them soon. Would be great if they're at the show proper.

destiny beta has to be coming up so soon. and my dreams of playing isaac rebirth will be fulfilled in anywhere from 2 to 6 months! i'm so excited for e3.

Damn, I just realised that Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Shadow of the Beast aren't on there. I had expected they'd be 2015 releases, but I hope we get to see more of them soon. Would be great if they're at the show proper.

We'll probably see an update on that at Gamescom, given that's where they were first unveiled.

Dio

Banned
You've hit upon the debate on what 'indie' even means. Valve, for example, is an independent game studio that funds their own games and publishes their own games, using EA as a distributor only for their physical copies of games.

In many regards, Valve fit the criteria for what should be considered an independent game developer. But people don't call them 'indie' - people have this really specific idea on what an 'indie' developer and an indie game is - but that specific idea varies person to person.

The image that comes to my mind when thinking of an 'indie developer' is a hipster with a scarf, carrying around a MacBook Pro and programming a "retro" pixel platformer with bigger pixels than an Atari 2600 game, soundtrack courtesy of the as3sfxr sound generator.

Problem is, 'indie' has become inseparable from music in image, so a lot of the ideas about people who listen to obscure music and frequent the local coffee shop bleed over into games.

yurinka

I'm interested in a lot of these games. And I want to see more of Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Shadow of the Beast, that I think they aren't there because they are being saved for Gamescom.

I'd love to see Uncharted PS4, TLG and Project Beast in the stage, gameas that if announced to be released soon may be also to play there. If in addition to them also Parappa Vita, Syphon Filter PS4, and Agent are announced then such amount of megatons would created a black hole there that would end E3 forever.
Resogun is considered indie?
Housemarque is an Finnish indie 3rd party dev studio. But Resogun is an IP published and owned by Sony Computer Entertainment, who funded the game. Like Journey and Rime.

Magician

Neo Member
Well, that's quite a number! And some of those tittles, despite them not being "real" for some people here, seem interesting to me.

KKRT00

Going through people lists here, i think most of You dont know what Shadow Warrior is.
Go and check it out.

yurinka

Already got PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate thanks to PSN.

I'll buy unless abysmal Metacritic:
Aaru&#8217;s Awakening, Axiom Verge, The Binding of Issac: Rebirth, Destiny, Driveclub, EarthNight, Freedom Wars, Guilty Gear Xrd, Hohokum, Hotline Miami 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Jamestown Plus, Legend of Raven, Metrico,N++,Nidhogg, Night in the Woods,Nuclear Throne,Oddworld: New &#8216;n&#8217; Tasty, Planetside 2, Road Not Taken, Shadow Warrior, Starwhal, The Crew, The Order: 1886, The Swapper, To Leave, Valiant Hearts, Velocity 2X

I'm interested but not sold, want to see more:
Apotheon, Chasm, Galak-Z, Helldivers, Home, Killzone DLC, MechRunner, Murasaki Baby, One Way Trip, Project CARS, Race the sun, Rogue Legacy, Secret Ponchos, Source, Super Exploding Zoo, Switch Galaxy Ultra, Teslagrad

If not crossbuy, I'll buy their Vita version if available.

Pretty good if most are new unreleased games.

They seem to be?
Aprox. 2 thirds are new unreleased games.

The other are ports/DLC/tweaked editions/remakes/available in 'early access' or prototype stage. But the ones available somewhere else are basically from PC, so they are new for consoles or portable devices.

Raist

Banned
Oh, just noticed Secret Ponchos. That game has been in the dark since last E3 hasn't it? I can't remember reading/watching anything about it since then.

Edit: Where is No Man's Sky. Hello Games plz.

Kssio_Aug

I think for many people indy games are (not that I agree):

- games released on digital platform only
- games made by companies that are never heard of (that is, not Konami, Capcom etc.) and do not cost full price
- "free" PS+ games
- "quick PC" ports

I think thats just your definition of indie. I already got many big-budget games on PS3 for free on PS Plus such as Battlefield 3, inFamous or Uncharted. PS4 is a new console and of course they will not give their biggest games for free right now, and you can bet that Live With Gold wont either!

So its being really hard to understand whats your point with that! Because even if some of those games come out on PS Plus and / or are released on PC theyre still games!

Sony is not giving up their biggest productions for indie development, so...

shem935

Banned
I really am wondering what the ps3 and 360 were like. Were there some deluge of high quality AAA exclusives raining down from the sky within the first year? Did we get something akin to infamous and drive club within the first year on the ps3? I think people need to get some perspective with this.

I think thats just your definition of indie. I already got many big-budget games on PS3 for free on PS Plus such as Battlefield 3, inFamous or Uncharted. PS4 is a new console and of course they will not give their biggest games for free right now, and you can bet that Live With Gold wont either!

So its being really hard to understand whats your point with that! Because even if some of those games come out on PS Plus and / or are released on PC theyre still games!

Sony is not giving up their biggest productions for indie development, so...

It is not my definition of Indy. For me Indy is a game that had been developed with the dev team's own money/kickstarter and then published/made available through their own website or via Greenlight, Gog, etc. And I agree these are still games.

Top Bottom