• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to show off HMZ Prototype AR HMD at TGS ( teaser video)

i-Lo

Can you imagine Sony selling this as a bundle with PS4? Of course a conflict of interest arises since they also are in the HDTV market.

Mr.Green

Would you honestly buy and use this thing?

Why the hell not!? What's wrong with it? You're afraid you'd look like a giant dork-o-tron using it? Sure you would! Who cares? Just don't use it in front of your harem.

Edit: Oh, and btw I pledged for an Oculus Rift dev kit so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd buy and use such a thing. ;)

Why the hell not!? What's wrong with it? You're afraid you'd look like a giant dork-o-tron using it? Sure you would! Who cares? Just don't use it in front of your harem.

Edit: Oh, and btw I pledged for an Oculus Rift dev kit so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd buy and use such a thing. ;)

Just seems useless?? Im happy to play my games on a TV and on a TV alone.

Imagine playing a co-op game with your friends in your house, "helmets on guys!"

Same kind of situation if you playing with your girl, "You wanna use my virtual reality hemlet?"

Just another Kinect/Move gimmick. Except this one would make you look like and even bigger "dork-o-tron".

Mr.Green

Imagine playing a co-op game with your friends in your house, "helmets on guys!"

Same kind of situation if you playing with your girl, "You wanna use my virtual reality hemlet?"

Just another Kinect/Move gimmick. Except this one would make you look like and even bigger "dork-o-tron".

Jesus you haven't watched any videos of people trying the Rift have you? The point is to be in the game world instead of simply being a RC camera. Of course it's not for every game but for first person games it's the holy grail! No?

Jesus you're dead inside. Check for yourself. I'm pretty sure you don't even have a pulse.

At my age the local multiplayer gaming sessions with buddies are few and far between and my girl isn't into gaming anyway so there's that too.

Mindlog

9w9Xk.jpg

I keeps it real. Headphones are for suckaz.

I don't know why Sony is attached to this form factor. They've made improvements, but it would probably be best if they started over. Sticking more weight on the end just seems like a step backwards.

patsu

9w9Xk.jpg

I don't know why Sony is attached to this form factor. They've made improvements, but it would probably be best if they started over. Sticking more weight on the end just seems like a step backwards.

I agree they should revamp the harness once they get the core product functionality working. Shrink/miniaturize and optimize the components in the process. As a prototype, it's probably more important to work out the concept, use cases, software and hardware integration.

Mung

So it's not for you. It's for me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
How similar will this be to Oculus Rift?

Provided the display latency and sensors speed/accuracy/precision is equal, the only meaningful difference between this and the Rift would be the field of view, hence the "immersion factor".

Rift field of view is 110° (you feel immersed into the virtual environment)
HMZ is 45° (you feel immersed in a dark room with a screen floating in front of you)

Other differences (according to current prototypes' specs):
Screen resolution: HMZ wins
Comfort/lightness: Rift wins
Prescription glasses "friendliness": HMZ wins
Stereo 3D quality: Draw (no cross-talking)

It goes without saying that when it comes to VR stuff, the most important feature is the field of view, so overall the Rift is "better".

Afrikan

they probably wouldn't want to..

but if this released next year and if we didn't have next gen systems yet...couldn't map this device's head tracking to the right stick of a Dual Shock controller.

so for games that you would control the game's camera with the right stick, you would actually use your head.

i know someone on youtube has created physical mods that directly connect to a PS3 controller's right stick...but what I'm talking about is more of a new software setting option in the settings menu in the XMB. "enable right stick to be mapped to Head Tracking".

mrklaw

MrArseFace
9w9Xk.jpg

they're not sticking to anything. They're just using the HMZ-T2 as a host platform for their AR demo. The headset means nothing in terms of what a final version would look like, or even if there will be one.

thuway

Can someone download an MP4 of the youtube video and rehost it for those of us who can't access Youtube since our country blocked it :-/.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Looks like they were using that same 'LiveAction' AR tech from this demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rbTLrrgEaU

i.e. a model filmed from multiple angles, then switch angles as you move around.

Although it looks higher quality here.

They're also 'cheating' slightly, although understandably...there doesn't seem to be translational tracking. When he shifts his head left and right toward the end it's reflected more as a rotation. Not surprising though.

I'd love to see the full thing. It's supposed to be a 15 minute demo, I think?

Koren

It goes without saying that when it comes to VR stuff, the most important feature is the field of view, so overall the Rift is "better".
I disagree... I would love a larger FoV, but not at the cost of a resolution far below what the eyes can resolve. Less immersive, but more confortable. I'm not even sure it's so safe to look at a blur image for long periods of time. That was one of my main reasons to dislike older VR glasses.

That being said, there's one important thing the Rift may do better, that's input lag. I've been said that HMZ is quite laggy, even if I haven't been able to test it myself, and that kills any potential for head tracking. Rift is said to have a far better input lag.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What the hell. Horror film/game hybrids will be off the hook with this thing.

I still don't understand how they did it (or what I'm seeing). I mean, having recorded real life actors show up like that, consistent with headtracking and all.

Edit: Ah, LiveAction AR. That explains it. Cool stuff.

I disagree... I would love a larger FoV, but not at the cost of a resolution far below what the eyes can resolve. Less immersive, but more confortable. I'm not even sure it's so safe to look at a blur image for long periods of time. That was one of my main reasons to dislike older VR glasses.

A 110° FOV provides a level of immersion an higher res screen with 45° FOV will never be able to provide. So, in the context of VR (which is all about immersion), I think it's more important. Of course both are important (along with low latency), but between the two, large FOV is paramount.

Perkel

Banned
I still don't understand how they did it (or what I'm seeing). I mean, having recorded real life actors show up like that, consistent with headtracking and all.

Edit: Ah, LiveAction AR. That explains it. Cool stuff.

nanomashines !

Koren

I still don't understand why they include only one camera on a VR helmet used for AR. One camera is great for head tracking, but for AR, that would make the whole real world flat to the user, without depth (or compensate it with an algorithm that'll make plently of Z-errors), while everything added by the computer would be stereographic 3D...

Just a prototype, I know, but it seems they invest quite a lot in it, it's not just a camera put on a helmet with duck tape...

If there's only rotation, that's not a technical problem, you just have to record the scene with a large FoV camera...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What the hell. Horror film/game hybrids will be off the hook with this thing.

All according to Keikaku:

2006: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4779998#post4779998

2008: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257647#3

gofreak said:
In far future, perfect embodiments, you could think of it as being like virtual reality, but instead..mixing the virtual and the real worlds. So, for example, maybe you could play a horror game in your own house at nighttime..think of walking around your own house in the dark, with the glasses augmenting your visual perception. So for example, you see apparations pass the door in your own house, blood crawling down the walls, meet rendered characters in 'the real world', and so forth. Or think of an alien invasion game where you walk outside, look up, and UFOs are flying out of the sky, explosions on the horizon, or something :p

The walking around the house bit might be a bit more far future than this though, if we remain tethered to power sources ;)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
If there's only rotation, that's not a technical problem, you just have to record the scene with a large FoV camera...

So when he rotates the head he just pans across a large FOV video recorded from the very same position his head is at?

It might be, actually. Albeit I see the perspective changing a bit, which is something that shouldn't happen if it was just video panned around. This is unless the room is always real, and only the actors are over-imposed. But it doesn't seem like it does it? When the neon lights blink, they do so only in the "fake" room not the real one.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AV Watch Impress has some details:

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120920_561012.html

Google Translate:

Mechanism of this strange world is this. First, in the same room, set up a 360-degree camera called "Ladybug" of Point Grey in advance. Recorded as footage of 5,400 × 2,700 dot / 15fps footage and ceiling 360 degrees all around. Researchers and became a zombie, Mr. Miyamoto to play, taken with this camera.

Interestingly, it is not only filled with all sight picture of the past, can be viewed by cutting out a portion. Previous experience in the demo, you can also be displayed at the same time as two women and live, such as "the art of alter ego," women of the past, and display a mix of live and historical footage.

For example, when Miyamoto-san is playing, but tried to lift a hand in front of his face, for the video of Miyamoto-san has been overwritten to live video of course, my hands I can not see the. However, we are shifted to the side hand, there is a break in the video overwritten, there is a place where you will see your own hands. Long strip-shaped image, but the feeling of being part of the view up and down Haritsui horrendously.

So basically they filmed the room and stuff happening in the room with this 360 degree camera and then they blend footage with stuff being recorded live by the camera on the hmd (like your hand in front of you), and can switch between angles as you move your head.

Might explain why the view looks so good too - a lot of the time you're not seeing what your hmd's camera is recording, but what the ladybug camera recorded.

There is another camera in the room but I'm not sure what it's doing.

hmd02.jpg

Other pics:

hmd10.jpg

hmd11.jpg

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I guess the "ladybug" camera is what Google uses for Google Maps right?

The "15fps" part saddens me to no end tho :/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The head-straps mounted on this prototype seem different (better?) than those on the T1/T2 models

hmd06.jpg

Side note: Damn the design of this HMD is so sexy. Uncomfortable, but sexy.

Mr.Green

did you just happen to have that picture nearby TTP..? lol ..;O)

I'm not sure I wanna know. ;)

So, TTP, you've tried the Rift prototype first hand; as far as VR is concerned, is this a competing product or is this still simply the equivalent of having a large LCD TV strapped to your head?

I ask because I can't see that footage from work, btw.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Now re-shoot popular movies with an upgraded 360 degree cinema camera and watch them on this thing. The future has arrived.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm not sure I wanna know. ;)

So, TTP, you've tried the Rift prototype first hand; as far as VR is concerned, is this a competing product or is this still simply the equivalent of having a large LCD TV strapped to your head?

I ask because I can't see that footage from work, btw.

I don't think they are competing at all. At least not according to the current HMZ specs and applications.

Rift is actual VR for games. Real time computer generated graphics, huge field of view, you in the game etc.

The HMZ is, as you say, an LCD strapped to your head offering an experience akin to watching an HDTV in a dark room. Nothing more than that besides the flawless stereo3D (since there is no cross-talking). This SR prototype here is a step forward in that it includes headtracking, but it's obvious to me that Sony is still going after movies rather than actual gaming VR.

The whole TGS 2012 demo is just a movie recorded with a ladybug camera. Think of it as a glorified Google Maps street view feature. Instead of a 360° pic you have a 360° movie (a 15fps one at that apparently - meh), and instead of using arrows to turn the view you actually turn your head.

Personally, I think Sony should stop pursuing (and spend R&D money for) this sort of apps as soon as possible and jump onto the Rift-like VR bandwagon. What they are doing right now is basically developing not just a new way to watch movies but to also film them. If not even think them. Yeah, good luck getting support from the movie industry.

Besides, the pre-recorded nature of movies negates any sort of head position tracking, and going by my experience with the Rift, you *do want* position tacking to avoid motion sickness.

Mr.Green

I don't think they are competing at all. At least not according to the current HMZ specs and applications.

Rift is actual VR for games. Real time computer generated graphics, huge field of view, you in the game etc.

The HMZ is, as you say, an LCD strapped to your head offering an experience akin to watching an HDTV in a dark room. Nothing more than that besides the flawless stereo3D (since there is no cross-talking). This SR prototype here is a step forward in that it includes headtracking, but it's obvious to me that Sony is still going after movies rather than actual gaming VR.

The whole TGS 2012 demo is just a movie recorded with a ladybug camera. Think of it as a glorified Google Maps street view feature. Instead of a 360° pic you have a 360° movie (a 15fps one at that apparently - meh), and instead of using arrows to turn the view you actually turn your head.

Personally, I think Sony should stop pursuing (and spend R&D money for) this sort of apps as soon as possible and jump onto the Rift-like VR bandwagon.

As someone who doesn't see in 3D, I agree 100%. :) Give me VR and fuck 3D movies!

Thanks TTP.

Top Bottom