• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony trademarks clickable analog sticks for a portable gaming device (Vita revision?)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
If this came up a couple years ago I would have been filled with excitement and hope. Now I'm just filled with sadness in the knowledge that this will never turn in to anything. It won't be PSP3. They won't even do a Vita revision to make remote play control right. Sony have made it very clear that they don't give a shit anymore.

I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

KTO

The worst part of owning a Vita is knowing that you have to spend $100 on a super expensive memory card that would hardly hold any fair amount of games.

I have a 64gb ($100) card and I have like 15 ps1 games and 12 full retail games and it's only half full

Xenus

6 Inch OLED latest Samsung panel, BETTER WiFi chip for Remote Play, L2/R2, and this click stick. Take my money.

I forgot about the wifi since I'm always within like 10 ft of the router but yes give me a better wifi chip it doesn't even need to be ac though something that could do 5ghz would be nice

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony fucked up so bad with the Vita. I'm not a handheld gamer but the Vita is damn good. Personally, they should release a new version that eliminates the back touch, adds the two trigger buttons that are missing and an HDMI out port so you can connect it to your HDTV. Even if it's just an automatic 720p but can be played in full screen on my 32 inch would be sweet. Adds life to the Vita and would make me consider buying one if they lower the price of the memory cards which should have been done years ago.

Also market it for remote play with PS4. Still shocked that Sony didn't release a PS4/Vita bundle for $500 when the PS4 launched. That would have been a smart move because which would you rather have - a PS4 and Vita OR an Xbox One and Kinect for $500?

To me, the answer is clear. PS4 and Vita.

Sony should've had this on the Vita at launch. Not having it really limited some games. It would also be nice to have vibration feedback in a revision.

Maedhros

Vita was Sony's last handheld guys... a revision won't be coming either.

They are just filling a patent for something they developed and don't want copied without giving them money.

Kyoufu

How Vita didn't have clickable sticks is something I will never know.

Vita is one of the most botched hardware designs I've ever seen.

Give me a PSP2 that only costs 150-199$, is easy to program for and I'll support it.

The Sony handhelds always launch way overpriced and Sony could've possibly owned that market segment with the original PSP if it wouldn't have been so goddamn expensive.

Maedhros

Give me a PSP2 that only costs 150-199$, is easy to program for and I'll support it.

The Sony handhelds always launch way overpriced and Sony could've possibly owned that market segment with the original PSP if it wouldn't have been so goddamn expensive.

Why, if they ended selling as much as the GBA with the price as it was?

3DS exists, so no.

people are quick to forget that MSD launched at like $100 for a 1gb card

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Vita could have used some improvements but the hardware is bloody good dude. To call it one of the most botched hardware designs when it's BY FAR the best handheld hardware ever created is beyond ridiculous.

Kyoufu

3DS exists, so no.

No what? I said "one of".

Reading comprehension please.

Vita could have used some improvements but the hardware is bloody good dude. To call it one of the most botched hardware designs when it's BY FAR the best handheld hardware ever created is beyond ridiculous.

No it fucking isn't. They designed it with Remote Play in mind but it lacks four buttons that a DualShock has.

As a basic handheld, it uses fucking proprietary memory cards that cost A MILLION DOLLARS each. It was botched, simple as that.

Breads

Banned

Oh man just the thought of playing your games on a handheld... so hype.

I don't know why someone doesn't just release a device that is completely open to homebrew like the PSP unintentionally was. No need to concern themselves with software sales... just let the homebrew/ indie develop for you and see how things turn out.

Filling date was June 2014.

Sony has abandoned the Vita. This is not getting released.

Crushed.

Eusis

I feel like it's something of a victim of timing. Maybe if they were willing to wait a few years more (or conversely came out a few years ahead) it could've been really amazing whether due to striking the PSP iron while it was still hot or due to having hardware that was going to take way longer to be obsolete compared to what phones/tablets got, but as it is it feels like it got drowned out by phones surging up and handhelds losing their allure. I'd LOVE it if they made a new one anyway, but I think at best we can hope for a sort of New 3DS situation with pragmatic hardware updates and better remote play functionality.

RyoonZ

Banned
Considering they won't make another handheld this is such a despicable move to deny other company to use this technology.

Eusis

Considering they won't make another handheld this is such a despicable move to deny other company to use this technology.
Patents exist partially because (ideally) they'd encourage innovation in trying to work a legal alternative to patented technology, possibly creating superioer alternatives or at least creating more variety in available solutions. Nintendo patented their analog stick on the N64 as I recall, but we saw analog sticks on Sony, Sega, and Microsoft platforms nevertheless.

Are you forgetting that the PSP sold 80+mil worldwide? I mean sure it's no Nintendo DS numbers at the time, but for Sony's first attempt into the handheld market, that's amazing. Especially when you consider how Sega, Atari, and so on failed to even snag a significant market share.

No it fucking isn't. They designed it with Remote Play in mind but it lacks four buttons that a DualShock has.

As a basic handheld, it uses fucking proprietary memory cards that cost A MILLION DOLLARS each. It was botched, simple as that.

Your only rebuttal is because of Remote Play and Proprietary Memory? I mean sure these two aspects represent a flaw, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't negate that between the 3DS and the Vita, the Vita's hardware is significantly more powerful.

Kyoufu

Your only rebuttal is because of Remote Play and Proprietary Memory? I mean sure these two aspects represent a flaw, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't negate that between the 3DS and the Vita, the Vita's hardware is significantly more powerful.

Why is this a Vita vs 3DS debate? I don't like either of the two when it comes to hardware design, but this thread is about Vita, not 3DS, so why are you mentioning it? I'd be happy to list all the things I find wrong with the 3DS in a relevant topic.

shiyrley

Banned
But adding an entire new method of input on a hardware revision? I can't think of a single platform that's done that.
cXRuExd.jpg

If you make a new Vita Sony make the good colours available in the west you fools.

I want a red or blue Vita 3000, and while you're at it make em' use SD cards you damn money vampires. Enough is enough.

I would very much appreciate Vita-3000, a new revision that mirrors button layout of DS4 [clickable sticks, 2 sets of shoulder buttons]. The rest can remain the same.

Same here.

With the amount that I use my Vita for Remote Play I'd buy this in a heartbeat. It's a game changer for me and I can't imagine owning a future Sony console without being able to RP on a handheld.

It's crazy to me that there isn't a PS4/Vita bundle or at least a push to sell Vita's showing off how awesome RP is.

Dee Dee

Guys, what am I missing here?

This a patent for clickable analog sticks... don't these already exist?
Is it a patent specifically for clickable sticks on a handheld console? Can you do that??

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Announce the PSP2 and i'll buy it day 1

Astral Dog

It's not a trademark. It's a patent. And it'd say that it's time to realize that not all patents actually result in actual products.

Companies patent things so that they have the chance to possibly use them in the future, but from there to actual use there's a big difference.

The fact that it's demonstrated with vita means nothing, because it's simply an example to illustrate the patent.

In this case, it's extremely unlikely that Sony will ever make a Vita 3000 with different inputs, simply because they're already having massive problems with incompatible games with Vita TV.
So are you saying there might be a VITA 2?

Fisty

Im not sure if id rather them do a revision or just new hardware with full backwards compatibility. Considering how a new Sony handheld would likely just end up being another indie/jrpg machine (which is amazing, dont misunderstand), they might as well just put out a Vita 3000. Up the ram a bit, maybe a bit higher cpu clock like later PSP models, 5ghz WIFI, and a sweet new OLED along with these clickable sticks could get me to upgrade from my 1000. As long as we get one of those shell grips that adds L2/R2, making remote play amazing... would be the perfect handheld

Why is this a Vita vs 3DS debate? I don't like either of the two when it comes to hardware design, but this thread is about Vita, not 3DS, so why are you mentioning it? I'd be happy to list all the things I find wrong with the 3DS in a relevant topic.

I'm not making it a 3DS vs. Vita thread, if hardware is going to be brought up then it makes sense to compare in the handheld console market to see the objective fact between the two, as far as the technology is concerned. I own both consoles, so I know the pros and cons of each one.

If anything, idk why you were so quick to say "console war"!

Top Bottom