• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony was founded on this day in 1946.

twilo99

Its first product was an electric rice cooker.

Sony’s first office was in a department store, which was bombed during WW2.Aside from the rice cooker, Sony mainly focused on fixing radios.

Its first worldwide hit was in 1957.A pocket sized radio…the TR-63:

Sony was not the original name. It was picked to have global appeal. It combined “sonus” and “sonny.”“sonus” is Latin for sound. “sonny” means little son.

Sony then focused on televisions.It launched a portable TV in 1960. And it raised the bar in color TV with its Trinitron televisions.

In 1979, the Walkman was released. 3,000 units sold in the first month.2 million sold in the first 1.5 years.400 million Walkman devices were sold over the next 30 years:

Sony would keep innovating.Both in TV, with the launch of the Watchman pocket TV in 1982……and, that same year…

The first CD was released, based on technology Sony helped develop.

Sony also had a CD player to launch alongside that Billy Joel album.Here’s a commercial from 1982:

And just two years later, Sony was pushing ahead with the Discman:

On the television front…Sony coined the term “jumbotron” in 1985 to highlight its video innovation.

That same year, the Handycam would usher in the camcorder era:

Sony had wanted a film company to complement its electronics business.So in 1989, it bought one:

The MiniDisc came in 1992……and two years later, a major contribution to the gaming world…

…the PlayStation, released in 1994:

Heavenly sound this:

Sony would need to keep up in world of computers and laptops.The Vaio brand launched in 1996.

Note Sony had lots of ties to the computer industry before Vaio.Its floppy disk was used with the Mac in 1984:

Sony was one of the first players in the consumer robot market.Aibo was unveiled in 1999:

And 30 years after the Betamax battle……Sony would battle it out in the DVD technology wars, with Blu-Ray.

Arguably the biggest battle would be coming…in the phone market. There were the early Sony Ericsson phones in 2002……even a Walkman phone in 2005…

…and later, phones that would be seen as potential iPhone killers…(we know how that went tho)

Innovation is tough. If any company knows that, it’s Sony. It’s been at it now for 78 years.

I apricate engineering so this should be celebrated. I am also carry the opinion that they have lost their engineering vigor and hope they can get it back.

source

Trunx81

Amazing thread for an amazing company.
I grew up with the Walkman, a small radio with cassette player (that works till today, nearly 40 years and counting), “My first Sony” … the list goes on and on. My dad even had the Watchmen. I used it to watch the World Cup final Brasil - Italy on a camping site.

The history of how the first PlayStation came to be is also incredible. Thank you, Sony Music, to make it possible, when no one in the mother company believed in the small project that changed the world.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Loved the Walkman and the discman.

No mention of umd or memory sticks. Proprietary ideas that didn’t hit.

PSYGN

I appreciate how Sony still tries to innovate and create new products (well, less these days, but I mean just look at how PSP and Vita felt ahead of its time)... just wish they had more follow-through vision. Steve Jobs even admired Sony, I mean who couldn't with all the cool stuff they've made.

Last edited:

twilo99

I appreciate how Sony still tries to innovate and create new products (well, less these days, but I mean just look at how PSP and Vita felt ahead of its time)... just wish they had more follow-through vision. Steve Jobs even admired Sony, I mean who couldn't with all the cool stuff they've made.

Compared to their peak, innovation has been rather stale in past decade or so, at least as far as I can tell

lachesis

I miss old Sony - the walkman/discman/MIni Disc variations releases in Japan were truly mind-blowingly small and functional with impeccable industrial designs for the era. It just felt like Sony = high-tech. Their TV was simply on another level with Trinitron, and all. Beta was still widely used for Broadcast for their superior quality back in 90s too.

Now they just feel like some media mogul company, not an innovating manufacturer of master class, which made “small is beautiful” really meant something for them. (Looking at you, my launch PS5…)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Had a bunch of Sony products over the years

Vaio_Teaser_01.jpg

Windows 8 was joined with a touch screen

NWE394B_1_3000x3000.jpg

The Walkman to me was better because its buttons but also the drag and drop, had one of those e-series walkmans in high school 2011 as a junior.

my-old-darth-vader-edition-v0-2rjq1ajz4cjb1.jpg

Darth Vader edition Sony psp, healthy amount of game time on that thing and couldn’t have asked for a better portable.

SJRB

Gold Member
Currently reading "Chip War" and it's really cool to read about how Sony (and others in the Japanese tech market) differentiated itself from the US with crazy high quality output for the consumer market at remarkably lower costs. Pinnacle of innovation but with overwhelming efficiency.

Not to mention aesthetically beautiful products.

2508-Digital-Dreams-10_600x.jpg

2508-Digital-Dreams-9_600x.jpg

2508-Digital-Dreams-7_600x.jpg

twilo99

Currently reading "Chip War" and it's really cool to read about how Sony (and others in the Japanese tech market) differentiated itself from the US with crazy high quality output for the consumer market at remarkably lower costs. Pinnacle of innovation but with overwhelming efficiency.

Similar to the car industry…

Drew1440

They were very innovative in the broadcast industry, the Metamorphosis demo still looks impressive for something filmed in 1990, one of the few HD footage of the era.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
My favourite of the historically groundbreaking gadgets brought to us by Sony.

ZAYPn5S.jpeg

MSFQo7x.jpeg

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Always been a fan of their engineering work. Decades of brilliant products that transformed everyday life.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Always been a fan of their engineering work. Decades of brilliant products that transformed everyday life.

I do miss that Sony that would think outside the box and release innovative products.

I really thought that going into the semiconductor space would have been huge if they stuck to it.

VR and AR could be an interesting space for them in a few years. I’m surprised they never launched a TV streaming box/stick when they first arrived on the market.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I do miss that Sony that would think outside the box and release innovative products.

I really thought that going into the semiconductor space would have been huge if they stuck to it.

VR and AR could be an interesting space for them in a few years. I’m surprised they never launched a TV streaming box/stick when they first arrived on the market.
Yeah, most of the innovation is in the software space right now. Hard to come up with anything transformative when we all have do-everything devices. And Japanese tech companies were always weak at software and internet connectivity, which is putting them behind these days.

YCoCg

Sony-Ericsson phones were legit great, I had a few through the 2000's, back when premium phones were £200 😭

Top Bottom