• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I understood correctly a 1080p tv with 50Hz refresh rate ( which I own atm ) is way faster ( inputlag and response ) than a fancy tv with all the digital bells and whistles. Is it safe to say that a 50Hz 4K HDR10 capabele set will also perform better when it comes to gaming?

For all I know that gamemode on any tv will set 100/200Hz etc to 50Hz. For me personally , who will be using this tv purely for gaming, 50Hz might be the way to go as it is cheaper.

Sony has released some new models in August ( at least in the Netherlands ) which could do the trick ( 4K HDR10, although no info is geven on brightness ).
Models are:
- 49XD 8005
- 49XD 8077/ 8088 / 8099

I think the 8005 is the same range as the TV in the OP, only larger. So there should be a 43XD8005 as well

Vuze

Basically your choices are:
1. Spend $5+k, and be super pissed in 1-2 years when it doesn't meet some new standard as 4K solidifies
2. Wait 2 years and spend $1k

I am in team 2, especially considering I have a really nice Sony 1080p low input lag panel + receiver.

Save for UHD blurays, a few things on Netflix, and high end PCs, there really isn't much 4K content at native resolution. It's like trying to have 1080p in the early 2000s. Did you miss it then? I didn't.
Yeah, it blows my mind how people can bust 5k on a 4K TV at this point.
I mean if they've got money to burn, sure. But I've seen people paying of these TV sets on monthly deposits. At the point they've paid it off the messed up TV industry has probably introduced Ultra HD Premium Super Smooth Deluxe.

I'm also in team 2. At that point there are probably also <10ms 4K60/120 HDR Gsync displays and semi-affordable GTX 1280 cards that can push these displays.
I felt like I was in the market for a 4K set but I'll let the TV industry get their shit together and then decide between a new monitor or TV.

I picked up the 49in x800D panel for a family member. Awesome TV for the price. It had surprisingly better blacks then the more expensive X830d but the 830 is a bit bigger and older.

Excited to see what will come next from Sony in 2017 given how competitive this one is.

Caayn

And this deserves a thread because? I get that people are excited for a new TV since the PS4Pro announcement. But this, the amount of new TV threads, is getting ridiculous.
KS8000 55 inch goes for a little over 1800 euro in the Netherlands

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/519851/samsung-ue55ks8000-zwart.html

A lot more expensive than US prices, but so are all other tv's.
The USA and EU models don't match.

EU - USA
KS7000 = KS8000
KS8000 = KS9000
KS9000 = KS9500

Karak

Can you elaborate?

My apologies everyone pretty much has. Its a bad panel not actually true HD with the wrong pixel setup. Its literally sneaking into the market on bullshit.
edit RTings seems to have corrected it and said it has a 10bit panel so I removed that from the original comment. That leaves the pixel setup which is actually not true 4k.
And no local dimming and its edge lit. Sort of double not wanteds as we move forward.

Taker34

Banned
Tempting, even though I wonder if it'll be a noticeable difference when switching from a 3ms to 30ms input lag display... other than that it sounds like a solid choice.

Bookman

This was not thread worthy.

I totaly see your point and there are already threads on 4K TVs. On the other hand , it is kind of intressing information , now with the PlayStation Pro and all that. There is incompatible data ( hrd10 ) and there is a need to discuss the newly released 4k tvs . I'll have to buy a 4K TV , I appreciated thread.

Still not sure if this tv has hdr10 ?

c0de

We create threads now with will recuse reviewed tv's from every company?
Does Sony still use Android on their sets? I heard horrible reviews about that.

I think the 8005 is the same range as the TV in the OP, only larger. So there should be a 43XD8005 as well

I actually think it's a new model. Last years model was 43XD8005C and this one is listed without the C. It's available since August 2016.

Anyway, these modelnumbers are driving me crazy already &#128517;

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The 4k HDR version of my TV is £50 more than my current 1080p model, I lose a inch and 3D but still typical.

EvB

What is theNIT output for this TV, Sony have refused to publish them.

Why? Because they likely don't meet 1000

longdi

Banned
Its only 650 at amazon now, 2016 set that ticks many boxes, i think its good deal thread worthy

Still not sure if this tv has hdr10 ?

Outside of me not owning the TV myself, I can verify that those who have looked and reviewed the TV professionally have indicated that yes, this TV is HDR10. There is a GAFFer who posted in this thread who owns this TV, and he seems happy with it. I think he would have indicated that if that wasn't the case.

Caayn

I don't get it either. There's a general thread for TV talk where people with knowledge tend to dwell. Threads like these are very prone for incorrect information.
Chû Totoro;216466114 said:
Doesn't HDR10 mean it's at least 1000?
UHD premium requires 1000 for LCD and 540 for OLED.

HDR10, and Dolby Vision for that matter, says nothing about a minimum output. Although with an output as low as this TV, combined with no local dimming and edge lit, you might as well not have HDR at all.

From what I read on the Sony site the two models are basically identical except for motionflow performance.

X800: 200Hz
X850: 800Hz

Imo, turning motionflow off makes games look better. First thing I did ( after reading threads like these for hours a when PS4 launched ) when I got my new Sony w805 1080p screen,was turning off all digital bells and whistles. Resulted in better looking games and better performance. Feels odd dumping this set already :/

Maybe I should wait and see results of downsampling on a 1080p screen first, before buying a 4K set.

I'm definitely tempted to pick up a new 4k HDR TV in the next few months. It'll have to be bigger than 47" as that's my current Samsung model with huge bezels that's probably about 6 years old. I'm not too concerned with input lag as i don't play many PvP games - and it's not something I've been affected by in the past. My budget is £1000 or less. Any recommendations from fellow UK'ers? I'll need to pick up a new AC receiver at around the same time....

Nice to see smaller models coming up now. We have a 42" from 2009 (which is soooo old now), and we really don't need a bigger tv, so I would consider the 43" for sure. Tbh I'm not even that bothered about the 4k part but everyone seems to be sold on HDR.

EvB

Chû Totoro;216466114 said:
Doesn't HDR10 mean it's at least 1000?

Nope.

There is so much confusion about this.

UHD_Premium_logo-970-80.jpg

the "UHD premium" badge means it is over 1000nits, is 4K in resolution, has a 10 bit panel and supports HDR10 (which is the dataformat)

Sony don't Want to participate in this (because they only have a couple of sets that meet this requirement)

So they created
4K HDR
Which is a logo only on Sony TVs, that literally means nothing.
They have 450nit TVs with these badge.
Sony-4K-HDR-ULTRA-HD-620x350.jpg

It's full on proper marketing BS to the trick consumers intot buying something sub PAR.

As an actual kick in the teeth, Sony is part of the UHD Alliance that created the UHD Premium standard.
Samsung, LG, Panasonic are all adhering to this standardisation.

Just not Sony :/
Sneaky

MaLDo

Tempting, even though I wonder if it'll be a noticeable difference when switching from a 3ms to 30ms input lag display... other than that it sounds like a solid choice.

It'll be VERY noticeable. Gaming limit must be under 20 ms. People used to play with higher input lag are so mad.

jett

D-Member
I take it only Sony TVs with the "x-tended dynamic range pro" bullshit provide proper HDR with 1000+ nits? So not this.

Man I hate the TV industry. I honestly do. Such a huge amount of purposeful confusion, every time. And now we have "real HDR" and "poor man's HDR", plus the whole HDR10/Dolby Vision format war. Get it together people, jesus.

ViciousDS

Banned
I take it only Sony TVs with the "x-tended dynamic range pro" bullshit provide proper HDR with 1000+ nits? So not this.

Man I hate the TV industry. I honestly do. Such a huge amount of purposeful confusion, every time. And now we have "real HDR" and "poor man's HDR", plus the whole HDR10/Dolby Vision format war. Get it together people, jesus.

I think LG has a standard that's above Dolby vision coming out too now lol.

We all thought HD TV buying was hard back in 2007. It's about to get fucking stupid.

I really hope rtings review process becomes a standard for websites. PCMag also has a good review process pulling the marketing shit off the box and telling you exactly what it means in terms of comparison to the real deal.

Sadly the average consumer......doesn't care

They are 10 bit panels, but they are not HDR10. They will for the price still deliver amazing color and picture though and a decent form of HDR. If you want HDR10 for cheap.....you're not going to find it sadly

According the Dutch site they are HDR10 Wide Color Gamut

Edit: could be wrong though, it's not clear on the Sony website. What a mess this is...

EvB

They are 10 bit panels, but they are not HDR10. They will for the price still deliver amazing color and picture though and a decent form of HDR. If you want HDR10 for cheap.....you're not going to find it sadly

See my post.

HDR10 is essentially a data format

Like MP3 vs OGG

You can have totally mediocre TV that supports HDR10, almost all of the current 4K Tvs are exactly that.

EvB

Oh well, so the wait for HDR 4K monitors in 2017 begins...

Yeah it's going to take a while to show up in PC monitors as Win 10 anniversary was the first OS to gain HDR support and very few graphics cards support it (The new Polaris and Pascal ones do for example)

ViciousDS

Banned
Yeah it's going to take a while to show up in PC monitors as Win 10 anniversary was the first OS to gain HDR support and very few graphics cards support it (The new Polaris and Pascal ones do for example)

this is really what I wanted before ordering my TV.....but I do need a TV for the big room lol. I love my IPS monitor ssssooo much. Hopefully ASUS is working on a nice set of 4k HDR monitors for the crowd.

See my post.

HDR10 is essentially a data format

Like MP3 vs OGG

You can have totally mediocre TV that supports HDR10, almost all of the current 4K Tvs are exactly that.

God......things only get more confusing.....fucking hell

Pifje

Wonder if the UI and menus are shitty and slow (takes solid 1 minute to open the menu after booting up the TV) as on my friend's 1,5 year-old Sony TV. Good god that shit was awful in comparison to my Samsung with the same exact panel.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't know of any monitor or HDTV that has a 3ms of input lag.

If you're below 20ms on a HDTV you're already the very top of the line in that category.

ktroopa

Im limited by space really, max tv size i can have is 43" which is not ideal. I sit 2m away. Guess il wait till 2017 and see if sony has sorted its act out by then..

This 10bit color and HDR shit is so confusing :/

spwolf

there are 8 bit HDR panels, there are 10 bit HDR panels that are real HDR, and then there are TVs that can show up to 1000 nits in small window for short time..

You can see this in the reviews, this is 10 bit panel with around 400nits max but evenly distributed... something like more expensive Samsung KS8000 can peak at 1400 nits for 2% of the screen short time, however its sustained rate is still around 500 nits.

You can see this in rtings reviews and it is not hard.

ViciousDS

Banned

If you're below 20ms on a HDTV you're already the very top of the line in that category.

he probably thinks response time = input lag

which doesn't, but it does add to it.

Lowest input lag monitor I know of are 9ms and there might be some 8ms ones out there. But 3ms is nearly impossible on any HD device.

Im limited by space really, max tv size i can have is 43" which is not ideal. I sit 2m away. Guess il wait till 2017 and see if sony has sorted its act out by then..

This 10bit color and HDR shit is so confusing :/

spwolf or the poster above me explained it well. All about that peak and sustained brightness.

longdi

Banned

My dell u3014 is measured to have 3ms of total lag, posted earlier.

I do feel my inputs have been instantaneous with it

oneils

My apologies everyone pretty much has. Its a bad panel not actually true HD with the wrong pixel setup. Its literally sneaking into the market on bullshit.
edit RTings seems to have corrected it and said it has a 10bit panel so I removed that from the original comment. That leaves the pixel setup which is actually not true 4k.
And no local dimming and its edge lit. Sort of double not wanteds as we move forward.

Thanks. Yeah, the edge lighting is somewhat of a turn off. And I had no idea that the resolution is not actually 4K. Thanks for that insight.

spwolf

Shame it's no where near that price in EU even with Euro=$

i think it just got released in Europe, and it is still the cheapest 10 bit panel.

In 2 months we should get better prices.

Now question is if extra $350-$500 for KS7000 (EU) is worth it?

Top Bottom