• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have fun with that 4 megapixel camera.

I've been a Z2 advocate since it was unveiled, but now thanks to the delays and reading reviews I'm starting to sway towards the M8.

The only think I have reservations about is the "Ultrapixel" bollocks, other than that the M8 build style and software is slowly winning me over.

Saskabush

Looks like this is a Bell exclusive in Canada which is terrible. I used to have Bell TV and they were not a good company to deal with. Sasktel has the s5, guess Sony just made up my mind for me.

Kyoufu

That Verge review is odd. They lump the phone along with the tablet in one review when they do separate ones for other devices and 90% of other reviews say the camera is very good.

Impressions from Z2 owners suggest that the screen has the same brightness as the Z1. Was the Z1 bad in sunlight?

darkwing

interesting screen display comparison between the S5 and Z2

http://www.digitalversus.com/mobile...peria-z2-display-quality-compared-n34019.html

looks like the Z2 is brighter?

The Galaxy S5 boasts infinite contrast thanks to AMOLED technology, but maximum brightness barely gets past 307 cd/m2. Average contrast is around 1000:1 in the Xperia Z2, with maximum brightness just over 400 cd/m2, which is better but still not amazing. Both screens are easy to read in indoor conditions, but less so outdoors. Bright, direct sunlight (which we've had plenty of over the last few days) can sometimes prove fatal when trying to enjoy certain types of content outdoors, such as videos. Both models try different tricks to help improve readability, with the Z2 upping screen brightness to the maximum and the GS5 relying on infinite contrast and a brightly coloured interface.

belvedere

Junior Butler
And I thought the engadget review was odd... Paraphrasing here, "sometimes the pictures are soft but sometimes they're brilliant." Ok, so there's potential inconsistency, but without any comparisons I have no way to equate that hollow statement. I don't see any of that mentioned in any of the other reviews. I'd like to hear more about the display's performance in daylight though.

This phone still seems more consistent than either the M8 or the S5.

Raknar

Neo Member
I've just been told my phone will be with me within 2-3 days, not the 'early May' they told me earlier. So it seems Vodafone at least does have them in stock and available right now.

I was about to import the Taiwan model, but then I found out the Taiwan/China model is 2mm longer!! Still metal frame though, also no lanyard hole!!

After putting a lanyard on my Z1...I now want lanyard hole on everything. It makes handling the phone less scary lol..

Fezan

Man, I read this review and I'm totally put off now.

Nobody should trust vlad reviews at all. Its not about the score its about the content.

Reviewing tablet and phone at same time than comparing tablet with nexus 7 and giving nod to 7. Saying tablet camera doesn't matter but criticizing the tablet camera. NO video review or pics of outdoor screen . Docking reviews for camera which every body almost agree is best in class. No real factual number for any thing.

I had high hopes for theverge before but it looks like they are worst reviewers and are easily persuaded by marketing dollars

kudoboi

Even using the phone in direct sunlight in sunny Singapore, it is still perfectly viewable. The HTC One M7 had worse display in sunlight compared to z2.

Screen reflections can get slightly annoying though.

One problem I noticed was the fact that double tap to wake up does not work well in pockets. My phone accidentally unlocked several times in my pocket today and even launched some apps. You would think that they would have some sort of sensor that would disable it when in pockets but nope

Gibbo

Z2 user here.Screen fares very well under direct sunlight. Even better compared to my previous phone (s3). Not sure what the complaints are about really..

Ryu1999

I was about to import the Taiwan model, but then I found out the Taiwan/China model is 2mm longer!! Still metal frame though, also no lanyard hole!!

After putting a lanyard on my Z1...I now want lanyard hole on everything. It makes handling the phone less scary lol..

Just bought one while in Taiwan and they threw in a official Sony case. Is that normal?

longdi

Banned
The Verge Review - 7.8 - "Screen is practically useless outdoors"

Shame.

Totally disagreed with this review. No issue using the screen at auto-mid brightness in my sunny country. i-Verge is practically the worst Apple worshiper masquerading as a multi-platform review site.

Read the Engadget review, it is almost similar to my experience and feelings about the Z2, only that i would buy the Z2 again instead of M8.

Z2 user here.Screen fares very well under direct sunlight. Even better compared to my previous phone (s3). Not sure what the complaints are about really..

AMOLED's are notoriously terrible in sunlight so the S3 might not be a good phone to base your comparison off of.

Talon

Totally disagreed with this review. No issue using the screen at auto-mid brightness in my sunny country. i-Verge is practically the worst Apple worshiper masquerading as a multi-platform review site.

Read the Engadget review, it is almost similar to my experience and feelings about the Z2, only that i would buy the Z2 again instead of M8.
lol. All the major editors carry Android devices as their primary device, and the EiC, Managing Editor and lead Mobile Editor spend 30 minutes on a podcast ranting about how they couldn't ever go back to iOS, but sure, keep believing what you believe.

The guy that wrote that review is a self-avowed Sony fanboy and has carried a LG G2 since launch and can't stop praising it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'll never understand the "they don't like my device, so they're BIAS and paid off" mentality. It's silly.

longdi

Banned
lol. All the major editors carry Android devices as their primary device, and the EiC, Managing Editor and lead Mobile Editor spend 30 minutes on a podcast ranting about how they couldn't ever go back to iOS, but sure, keep believing what you believe.

The guy that wrote that review is a self-avowed Sony fanboy and has carried a LG G2 since launch and can't stop praising it.

And he iswrong, either his Z2 was faulty or his country was really really really sunny, although i doubt it would as sunny as mine which is near the equator.

For an avid Sony fanboy, he and his editors sure let out a slipshot review condensing phone and tablet into 1 article.

Dommel

So "apparently" <cough>theverge<cough> the screen is utter crap in sunlight.

Can anyone of you lovely people confirm or deny this?

Like i said earlier in this thread this is the first smartphone on which I notice little dots when sunlight is reflected off the screen but this doesn't make it unreadable/unusable outside at all.

It's hard but which screen isn't when you're trying to read in direct sunlight, little dots or not.

Also, it's The Verge. If it doesn't have an Apple logo on it they don't like it.

Brandson

Reviews are great and all but it would be nice if Sony could tell us when the Z2 and tablet are actually going to be available in the US and Canada.

darkwing

Reviews are great and all but it would be nice if Sony could tell us when the Z2 and tablet are actually going to be available in the US and Canada.

this is the biggest problem because those are the biggest markets, at least here in my country it will be coming in May, and it's already out in Singapore but sold out lol

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
So Bell (in Canada) has the Z2 up for pre-order online for 179.95 on a two year contract or 700 off contract. No release date from what I saw.

Good deal until you come to actually sign the $80 / month minimum contract.

I'm actually kind of tempted to just get one unlocked and go to Wind.

edit - that Verge review was utter, utter bollocks, by the way

Good deal until you come to actually sign the $80 / month minimum contract.

I'm actually kind of tempted to just get one unlocked and go to Wind.

My monthly is 65 bucks a month with 6GB of data with one year left on my contract. I'm trying to decide whether to use my early upgrade for this or just get a Nexus 5 off contract. Decisions.

spwolf

The guy that wrote that review is a self-avowed Sony fanboy

yeah sure, thats why he said it is not worth upgrading fro Xperia Z to Z2, not enough upgrades?

Since Z2 has best specs of any other Android phone right now, does that man that original Z was crazy awesome phone that got 10 on Verge?

That review was the dumbest review I have read in a while.

Vlad is far from a Sony fanboy. He has never once praised a Sony phone. He claims that his favourite phone ever is some Sony Ericsson W series phone, but thats the biggest pile of tosh I've ever heard. Everyone knows that the best Sony Ericsson phone ever is the K800.

Ryu1999

What does it look like?

Z2_Hands_On_Imagea.png

Two holes on each edge of the left corner

I went to disneyland last weekend and I had with me a Z1, Iphone 5s ....and a Ricoh GR..

Guess which one took the best photo??

The GR destroys both smartphone, no contest...

It made me realize that smartphone camera are all just good enough but still doesn't compare to a high end point and shoot. The only thing that smart phone can do really really well are selfies....

leng jai

I went to disneyland last weekend and I had with me a Z1, Iphone 5s ....and a Ricoh GR..

Guess which one took the best photo??

The GR destroys both smartphone, no contest...

It made me realize that smartphone camera are all just good enough but still doesn't compare to a high end point and shoot. The only thing that smart phone can do really really well are selfies....

The M8 has the best "selfies" camera, lol. I honestly don't get why people make such a big deal out of phone cameras. I facepalm every time I read the comments on a major review and 90% of the comments are arguing about the camera.

The M8 has the best "selfies" camera, lol. I honestly don't get why people make such a big deal out of phone cameras. I facepalm every time I read the comments on a major review and 90% of the comments are arguing about the camera.

Well yeah... It's nice to always having a decent smartphone camera with you but if you're really serious about taking good pictures there is no substitute for a dedicates camera.

In term of smartphone camera I believe that overall the iPhone 5s is still the best...due to ease of use...

Oh yeah in Disneyland, I've never seen so many mom n dad carry an iPad to to take pictures.... I cringed so many times....

leng jai

Well yeah... It's nice to always having a decent smartphone camera with you but if you're really serious about taking good pictures there is no substitute for a dedicates camera.

In term of smartphone camera I believe that overall the iPhone 5s is still the best...due to ease of use...

Oh yeah in Disneyland, I've never seen so many mom n dad carry an iPad to to take pictures.... I cringed so many times....

I've always thought that people taking photos with an iPad is one of the dumbest looking sights in life.

Kyoufu

Post better.

Yeah that Verge comment about the screen seemed iffy as soon as I saw it. Their reviews in general are pretty useless.

The M8 camera is the biggest weakpoint of the phone and ultimately a dealbreaker for me (and some others here). I don't know what's wrong with what I said.

More than enough. MP doesn't matter at all, they even have a negative effect on image quality if you have too much MP.

If you see comparisons out there on the web you'll see that it doesn't perform as well as the S5 or the Z2, especially in low-light.

leng jai

The M8 camera is the biggest weakpoint of the phone and ultimately a dealbreaker for me (and some others here). I don't know what's wrong with what I said.

If you see comparisons out there on the web you'll see that it doesn't perform as well as the S5 or the Z2, especially in low-light.

You don't see that your post was just a snarky one liner? Maybe he doesn't care about the camera. It would be like me telling you to enjoy your plastic if you chose a S5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom