• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z2 Officially Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
yeah sure, thats why he said it is not worth upgrading fro Xperia Z to Z2, not enough upgrades?

Since Z2 has best specs of any other Android phone right now, does that man that original Z was crazy awesome phone that got 10 on Verge?

That review was the dumbest review I have read in a while.

Yeah that is so wrong on all accounts.

Z to Z2 is like iphone4s to iphone5s worth of upgrades.

Kyoufu

longdi, did you get the Noise Cancelling headphones with your Z2? If so, do they sound as great as the reviews suggest?

Dommel

longdi, did you get the Noise Cancelling headphones with your Z2? If so, do they sound as great as the reviews suggest?

I got them together with the charging dock. I'm not a big fan of in-ears but I tried them anyway.

And now I love them, the noise cancelling is really good. Walking down a busy road or sitting on noisy public transport is like sitting in a sea of calm. It's not that great at cancelling voices but other sounds seem to just disappear.

Just yesterday I was walking down a street when an annoying motorbike dude had to launch his very loud bike off the traffic lights turning green and I barely noticed. Took out one headset piece to confirm that it was a really loud bike.

HigXx

Yeh I got the NC earphones bundled with the phone in the UK and I absolutely love them! Im a bit of an audiophile so theyre not the best earphones ever but by golly is the noise cancelling fantastic!

Kyoufu

The DK36 magnetic charging dock I ordered arrived today. It's much smaller than I imagined. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs until the phone itself arrives on Monday.

You Z2 owners here, have you guys had any heat issues with the phone?

demented

Anyone who's waiting for Z2 considering picking up oneplus one?
Costs a lot less (at least for me), has about the same spec and I might be able to order it online before z2 even gets here, when it will cost like 700 eur (or maybe 500e by the end of summer) while I can get one for 300 euros right away.

spwolf

Anyone who's waiting for Z2 considering picking up oneplus one?
Costs a lot less (at least for me), has about the same spec and I might be able to order it online before z2 even gets here, when it will cost like 700 eur (or maybe 500e by the end of summer) while I can get one for 300 euros right away.

sure, i think everyone might be... but when is Oneplus One going to be available? I dont think they will go into sales that soon at all. How well is it going to work? Warranty and after sales?

Generally, their advertising where they attack every competitor is a bit childish now and not to mention that some of it is false. For instance:

oneplus.jpg

It is actually significantly taller than Z2 and bigger in every direction.

They are also holding contest where 100 people who do their best to smash their current phones will get this one for $1... that is cool if you are 7 yrs old.

Sure, it is cheap so if it works well, it does not matter. But it does not exactly inspire confidence...

MarkusRJR

So annoyed the Z2 is Bell exclusive... I really wanted it but I'm still stuck on Telus. What kind of reasoning did Sony have?

demented

You're right, but still twice cheaper than z2 for me, I'll wait and see the user reviews I guess, hopefully by June it will all be clear.

Keep on failing to grasp the point.

Can you explain why its bias?

Vlad up to his old antics, never gets old.

How the fuck do you lump two separate products into one review and to top it off not have the decency to provide a video review of it? i mean come on.

Well they probably think it's not worth it, it's not widely available and the Z3 is right around the corner....who knows...

Engadgets review seems right on, specially about the size, Alot of people don't realize how big it is till they actually held one.

kudoboi

so the phone will apparently only be sold on Sony's Online Store in the states

I got the sony smartband today. some annoyances for me would be
1: tapping it with NFC only switches on bluetooth and connects it from there. Was hoping i wouldn't need to do that.
2: in order to control music, i need to press the button at the side and that switches it to media control mode for a few seconds. then I need to tap the wristband once, twice or 3 times to control the player. I was hoping it would use swipe gestures to control the music but apparently not.
3: the "large" size wristband isn't really that large. It fits me at the 3rd largest size but i can see it being an issue for those who have big arms.
4: there is no way to switch it off. the only way to switch it off it seems is to let it drain out it's battery.

SpecX

Sony lost me as a buyer then. I was going to pick this up for my wife, but at the rate they're going, they don't want my money.

The new Z1 update is a fucking disaster.

If I was buying new right now I would avoid Sony, they totally fucked me over with the 4.4 update.

My Car Bluetooth no longer connects
My battery is now 20-30% shorter
The updates to the UI are shit and pointless and make quick icons actually harder to use
Messaging crashes a whole ton
All the volume settings are fucked at full volume I can hardly hear a phone call
Also the bluetooth volume control does nothing either, whereas it actually did something before

I wish I never updated, my girlfriends Z1 has all the same issues. The fact that you HAVE to get a Z2 with 4.4.2 installed makes me want to avoid this phone like the fucking plague.

Kyoufu

The new Z1 update is a fucking disaster.

If I was buying new right now I would avoid Sony, they totally fucked me over with the 4.4 update.

My Car Bluetooth no longer connects
My battery is now 20-30% shorter
The updates to the UI are shit and pointless and make quick icons actually harder to use
Messaging crashes a whole ton
All the volume settings are fucked at full volume I can hardly hear a phone call
Also the bluetooth volume control does nothing either, whereas it actually did something before

I wish I never updated, my girlfriends Z1 has all the same issues. The fact that you HAVE to get a Z2 with 4.4.2 installed makes me want to avoid this phone like the fucking plague.

My friend with the Z1 hasn't noticed any differences besides it fixing a speaker glitch.

Every flagship comes with 4.4.2 this year so I can't imagine it being a bad update for any manufacturer.

RoKKeR

Sony really knows how to fuck over a good chance of their phone gaining some ground in the US. What a fail.

I'd like to say I'll wait for the Z3 but who's to say the same thing doesn't happen again at the end of the year?

demented

Yeah I think they lost me as a customer too. I can already get S5 (for a while) and now M8 here for good price and z2 nowhere in sight, and it will most likely be pricier than the two... Gonna see if I can get my hands on oneplus one

Does Sony hate money? I don't understand why they're doing this.

Yes, it is soo dumb plus they will announce the Z3 soon.
The Z1 already lacks custom rom development and right now the Z2 development looks like a ghost town. HTC and Samsung customers rom development is as strong as ever.

So if you like to rooting and flashing custom rom....don't get current Sony phones.
Sonys 6 month flagship plans really ruin custom development.

really surprised to see Z2 come in 2nd or last in the tests… Also S5 is 1st in all of the benchmarks.

Benchmark is worthless... Real time usage is more important.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DChf8nhi2tM

Sony really knows how to fuck over a good chance of their phone gaining some ground in the US. What a fail.

I'd like to say I'll wait for the Z3 but who's to say the same thing doesn't happen again at the end of the year?

I was ready to import the Taiwan version of the Z2 but so far I've been hearing alot of not so good stuff alot it.
Z2 is also more expensive than both m8 and s5 and it only has 16gig. Expandable SD card is like crap with Kit kat.

Speaking of kit kat...I agree kit kat on the Z1 is horrible. The 757 firmware fixed some of the issues like message force closing and speakers, but still a step back.

kudoboi

I was ready to import the Taiwan version of the Z2 but so far I've been hearing alot of not so good stuff alot it.
Z2 is also more expensive than both m8 and s5 and it only has 16gig. Expandable SD card is like crap with Kit kat.

Speaking of kit kat...I agree kit kat on the Z1 is horrible. The 757 firmware fixed some of the issues like message force closing and speakers, but still a step back.

like?
the phone supports file transfer to SD card without rooting.
Not sure what you mean by step back. imo I prefer the Sony UI compared to Sense

The phone has the best battery life ever in any smartphone i ever owned.
This is under heavy usage with a lot of music listening and playing games and with bluetooth earbuds + smartband ( not sure how these two impact battery)

like?
the phone supports file transfer to SD card without rooting.
Not sure what you mean by step back. imo I prefer the Sony UI compared to Sense

The phone has the best battery life ever in any smartphone i ever owned.
This is under heavy usage with a lot of music listening and playing games and with bluetooth earbuds + smartband ( not sure how these two impact battery)

its googles fault on the whole SD card thing.

I'm speaking about kitkat on the Z1. I felt jelly was better on the Z1.

sense vs sony ui....I like both.

some of the issues i'm reading on xda is over heating and built quality issues.

I still want to get the phone but 900 bucks is pretty steep, especially if I already have Z1. Here is the US Sony phones are always high price without contracts, but their value seem too drop faster than the other flagship phones.

yogloo

I went to disneyland last weekend and I had with me a Z1, Iphone 5s ....and a Ricoh GR..

Guess which one took the best photo??

The GR destroys both smartphone, no contest...

It made me realize that smartphone camera are all just good enough but still doesn't compare to a high end point and shoot. The only thing that smart phone can do really really well are selfies....

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5533410947/smartphones-versus-dslr-versus-film?page=2
We have come pretty far, you know?
Low light is where we still have to catch up on cameraphones.

longdi

Banned
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5533410947/smartphones-versus-dslr-versus-film?page=2
We have come pretty far, you know?
Low light is where we still have to catch up on cameraphones.

I honestly think high end compact like rx100 or lx7 gives clearly better pictures. Im not sure about iphone, but Z2, with iauto+ under bright daylight, would still fail to capture details in the back areas, there is this small front focal area where things look relatively sharp, but beyond it, it is all smeary. And forget about pixel peeping to blow the photos up beyond facebook upload sizes .

Kyoufu

My Z2 arrived!

- Camera is a huge upgrade from the S3. It's pretty gloomy in my area so the S3 camera always struggled with low light but the Z2 camera is blowing my mind with clear shots (auto mode). Haven't tried the manual yet.

- Feels amazing in the hand. Coming from a plastic phone this feels great.

- Noise cancelling headphones sound very good. I think I'll be using these a lot more than I thought.

- White design is great. Not a fingerprint magnet on the back of the phone. Definitely the sexiest piece of hardware I've held.

Only used it for a few hours so I can't comment on the battery life yet. Will post more impressions later. Very happy so far!

darkwing

My Z2 arrived!

- Camera is a huge upgrade from the S3. It's pretty gloomy in my area so the S3 camera always struggled with low light but the Z2 camera is blowing my mind with clear shots (auto mode). Haven't tried the manual yet.

- Feels amazing in the hand. Coming from a plastic phone this feels great.

- Noise cancelling headphones sound very good. I think I'll be using these a lot more than I thought.

- White design is great. Not a fingerprint magnet on the back of the phone. Definitely the sexiest piece of hardware I've held.

Only used it for a few hours so I can't comment on the battery life yet. Will post more impressions later. Very happy so far!

jelly you got the noise cancelling headphones package, I've seen a review and the pair (Z2 + headphones) are quite good

Raknar

Neo Member
I've had the phone for a while now and I'm still impressed. Battery life is far better than I expected. It's on 49% with 1 day and 17 hours since I last charged it. That is with quite a lot of internet browsing, several phone calls and camera use. And if I put Stamina mode on, the estimated battery time is 5 days.

I am still getting used to the size of the phone, as it's quite a lot bigger than my old S3. But the screen is fantastic for watching films and browsing the internet.

Luminaire

I have Verizon and unlimited data. I'd like to keep that and don't want to lock myself into a 2-year contract, so I've been looking at buying a phone for the past year. I've passed on the M7, S3, S4, G2, and even the S5 and M8.

With the announcement of the Z1 a long while back and the whole T-Mobile deal, I've been kind of out of luck. Pair that with Sony dragging it's feet when it comes to releasing the Z2 in the US and you have a lot of confusion...

With this phone being able to be purchased unlocked via Sony's website, does anyone know if the phone would work in Verizon? This is a list of Networks that the phone works on, taken directly from the site.

Networks

UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 900 (Band VIII), 1700 (Band IV), 1900 (Band II), 2100 (Band I) MHz
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20)

According to wikipedia, Verizon wireless uses LTE Bands 4 and 13. I'm curious if I'd be able to buy the phone and just do a simple hardware swap.

Thanks if anyone can help clear up some confusion.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I have Verizon and unlimited data. I'd like to keep that and don't want to lock myself into a 2-year contract, so I've been looking at buying a phone for the past year. I've passed on the M7, S3, S4, G2, and even the S5 and M8.

With the announcement of the Z1 a long while back and the whole T-Mobile deal, I've been kind of out of luck. Pair that with Sony dragging it's feet when it comes to releasing the Z2 in the US and you have a lot of confusion...

With this phone being able to be purchased unlocked via Sony's website, does anyone know if the phone would work in Verizon? This is a list of Networks that the phone works on, taken directly from the site.

According to wikipedia, Verizon wireless uses LTE Bands 4 and 13. I'm curious if I'd be able to buy the phone and just do a simple hardware swap.

Thanks if anyone can help clear up some confusion.

It won't work on Verizon. Period.

Verizon = CDMA
Xperia Z2 = GSM

Kyoufu

I've had the phone for a while now and I'm still impressed. Battery life is far better than I expected. It's on 49% with 1 day and 17 hours since I last charged it. That is with quite a lot of internet browsing, several phone calls and camera use. And if I put Stamina mode on, the estimated battery time is 5 days.

I am still getting used to the size of the phone, as it's quite a lot bigger than my old S3. But the screen is fantastic for watching films and browsing the internet.

Yeah I can actually enjoy YouTube on a phone now. I'm impressed.

The battery life is really impressive. I don't need to charge this thing all the time like I used to with the S3.

I'm glad I bought the DK36 magnetic charging dock. It's really easy to charge the phone.

Raknar

Neo Member
I'm glad I bought the DK36 magnetic charging dock. It's really easy to charge the phone.

I might have to pick that up. I charge my phone a lot during the day at my computer when I'm working. It would be nice just dropping the phone into the dock and not have to mess around with USB cables.

Servbot24

Banned

Woah, that sounds great! I'm used to having to charge at least once a day on my 4s.

Gonna wait for some more 1+ One impressions and if those aren't good Z2 will be my next option.

Raknar

Neo Member
Woah, that sounds great! I'm used to having to charge at least once a day on my 4s.

Gonna wait for some more 1+ One impressions and if those aren't good Z2 will be my next option.

Yeah. When I first got my iPhone 4, I still had to charged it every single night. With this, you could definitely stretch it to every other day.

I did see on the Vodafone forum some people were having issues with battery life when they hadn't charged the phone properly when they first got it. It may not be true, but I would charged it fully when you first get it (they say 30 minutes). Then run it down to about 10% and charge it fully again.

I'm really loving the screen on this phone. Colours are great and feel far more accurate in comparison to other phones I have had. I'm a photographer and use IPS panels for my work, so I was initially considering the S5. But the Z2 is better than I expected and the adjustable white balance is a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom