• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

De_Legend

Banned
Arrogance doesn't lead to a release like Gravity Rush 2 in 2017. PS4 is bordering on being my favourite console of all time.. the best console of all time. The diversity of games between retail and PSN is insane. The exclusives are also diverse and sublime. The only thing it's still missing is that one big massive huge 98/99 Metacritic killer app.. but I think it'll come.

Yup, TLOU part ll will do that, or maybe GOW.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
mordecaii83 said:
I'd be shocked if they announced a hardware revision less than 1 year after the original released.
In all fairness - PS3 had 2 major hw-revisions in its first 12 months on the market (and "two" price drops) - PS2 had one of each (also in first 12 months).

While I wouldn't expect any physical design changes ("Slim" Pro is obvious nonsense), it's not impossible they'd do something like a UHD BR drive revision, although the fear of early-adopt backlash likely prevents this.

The only thing it's still missing is that one big massive huge 98/99 Metacritic killer app.. but I think it'll come.

I wouldn't hold my breath, if you literally meant those numbers then I really doubt we're getting a 98/99 metascore game. Breath of the Wild was the best chance for a number like that and it didn't land it, there's just too many contrarian reviewers that will knock down the score of the game just for the sake of doing so (like the Jim Sterling review and I don't mean the score, I mean the review itself when he mentioned how other reviewers were rating the game as if he felt the need to take a stance).

shandy706

Spencer's talking but he's basically saying nothing.

Spencer's been talking about a whole bunch of nothing. Yoshida's been like "here's a bunch of critically acclaimed exclusives for you to play, right now".

I like the latter approach.

People are asking Spencers a lot more questions more often.

It's either ignore people or give what little talk they can before E3. He's not just randomly offering "talk" constantly for no reason.

OP should say "Why aren't we asking Sony more questions about the future?"

Although that's easy to answer too.

pswii60

I wouldn't hold my breath, if you literally meant those numbers then I really doubt we're getting a 98/99 metascore game. Breath of the Wild was the best chance for a number like that and it didn't land it, there's just too many contrarian reviewers that will knock down the score of the game just for the sake of doing so (like the Jim Sterling review and I don't mean the score, I mean the review itself when he mentioned how other reviewers were rating the game as if he felt the need to take a stance).
I wasn't being literal. I just meant something BotW-calibur. Those games that are few and far between and greater than a sum of their parts. It'll come, there's lots in the pipeline.

Apathy

Man if Sony were out there being loud the first threads we'd get would be "arrogant Sony is back". E3 is coming up, probably saving any talk till then

GLAMr

The only thing it's still missing is that one big massive huge 98/99 Metacritic killer app.. but I think it'll come.
PS2 doesn't have any 98/99 games on Metaceitic and it's the greatest console of all time. I'll shirtfront anybody who disagrees.

Don't agree on GoW, but yeah TLOU PT II should do it. Death Stranding will probably do MGS2 metascore numbers when it release

I think GoW might, it wouldn't if it were the same thing as ever but the change and new people on the game might be just what the franchise needed. Remember that the mainline games got 90+ metascores.

Also, not even Zelda got 98/99 so, probably no one will, maybe GTA VI or Mario Odyssey.

Loris146

Arrogance doesn't lead to a release like Gravity Rush 2 in 2017 (or the non-cancellation of TLG for that matter). PS4 is bordering on being my favourite console of all time.. the best console of all time. The diversity of games between retail and PSN is insane. The exclusives are also diverse and sublime. The only thing it's still missing is that one big massive huge 98/99 Metacritic killer app.. but I think it'll come.

Almost impossible. There alway will be "low score reviews".Even Zelda was not able to reach 98 on MC.

nynt9

Really? I Hope they would Show more Gameplay and Not announce games that are 5+ years away.

What a shitpost.

E3 2016 for Sony:

God of War: Gameplay reveal, presumably 2018
Days Gone: Gameplay reveal, 2017
The Last Guardian: Gameplay shown, 2016
Horizon: Gameplay shown, 2017
Detroit: Gameplay reveal, 2017
Farpoint: Gameplay reveal, 2017
Crash: Teased, 2017
Death Stranding: Ingame cinematic reveal, TBA
Spider Man: Ingame gameplay? reveal, 2017

Seriously, your post is garbage.

jdmonmou

Microsoft is active because they've got to market the Scorpio. Sony released all their new hardware last year. This year has really been an awesome year to own a PlayStation. There have been numerous games to play and there are plenty more coming. I don't think Sony has to say anything until E3.

Loris146

What a shitpost.

E3 2016 for Sony:

God of War: Gameplay reveal, presumably 2018
Days Gone: Gameplay reveal, 2017
The Last Guardian: Gameplay shown, 2016
Horizon: Gameplay shown, 2017
Detroit: Gameplay reveal, 2017
Farpoint: Gameplay reveal, 2017
Crash: Teased, 2017
Death Stranding: Ingame cinematic reveal, TBA
Spider Man: Ingame gameplay? reveal, 2017

Seriously, your post is garbage.

Spider Man and Days Gone won't be out in 2017 in my opinion.

Eggbok

Microsoft:
635938793682042730132otsev.gif

Nintendo:
94eqmvhkvenckyssjs.gif

Sony:
tumblr_oh9w3aNzFR1qm2uhao7_r1_400.gif

nynt9

Relatively credible leaks for them are stated for 2017, but even if they don't make 2017 clearly they won't be 2021 like the poster says and they were still revealed with gameplay.

I wasn't being literal. I just meant something BotW-calibur. Those games that are few and far between and greater than a sum of their parts. It'll come, there's lots in the pipeline.

Oh then I agree with you completely, there's too much potentially great stuff on the horizon.

StereoVsn

Days Gone is going to be Q1 2018 I think. That time slot works really well for Sony.

Spider-Man, don't know. If they could release it in the fall it would be great especially considering we are getting a new Spider-Man movie this year.

Anteater

they have a blog and they don't even have to promote anything while the community will do it for them, they don't need to say anything until they have something more major to announce

Fbh

I don't think they have much to say at the moment. For the past few months a lot of the talk on gaming sites and communities has been focused on games that are available on Ps4, with several of them being exclusive.

Nintnedo has to do a lot for talking because they just released a console.

MS because their 2017 so far has been really poor and they are putting a lot of focus on their upcomming console.

Sony is going through a great moment right now and I think they can afford to be relatively quiet until E3

Unknown?

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?
They don't brag like MS that's for sure! They've gone silent despite winning NPD. As far as talking with the media, I'd rather them let the games do the talking.

Sony

Nintendo
I feel there is some charm to just not talking and releasing game after game. The only thing I would like them to talk about is OS updates. Other than that, I'm not bothered whatsoever about their "silence". Sony's management team is silent, but their first party devs are quite transparant and talkative, which is nice.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
After having one of the loudest Q1s in gaming history, they can go dead silent for all I care lol. Actions always and forever, speak louder than words.

KORNdoggy

I'm not sure what you expect Sony to be talking about?

MS are talking to the press on a regular basis because they have a console launch coming end of this year and they need to keep reminding people of that so they remain even slightly relevant.

Sony on the other hand are just releasing a lot of games...and any talk about games is often left to the big conferences or trade shows...like the one coming up in a few weeks.

Sonys typically quiet because they have multiple conferences to fill with announcements.

What was MS's last conference, E3? Sony had PSX. They don't really need to keep blasting PR to be relevant. The games do that for them.

jaypah

Man if Sony were out there being loud the first threads we'd get would be "arrogant Sony is back". E3 is coming up, probably saving any talk till then

I dont think anyone would call Sony arrogant for answering questions lol. That's what businesses do. There was a time when Sony actually was arrogant but it was many many years ago. They've been pretty nice and they deliver so it makes them look even better.

Perineum

No matter what MSoft shows off, all Sony needs to do is show us Last of Us 2 gameplay on stage this year, and BOOM locked for the win from the press and gamers.

On top of that if Sony throws us more God of War, a Bloodborne 2, the alleged Resistance 4 or a new Socom, then it is done.

At the end of the day you win E3 with games. New hardware is peachy keen and dandy, but without incredible software on it all it does is collect dust.

Scorpio will most likely show off the new Halo on it, a Forza, and maybe Crackdown. I can't see the new Gears yet being something they show, but jesus that is all MSoft ever shows. The first new exciting thing they had was Scalebound and they cancelled it.

I will eat crow, but I doubt MSoft can deliver jack shit...again.

Vinc

I don't know that they need to talk. I don't know that I've ever been as satisfied with a console as I've been with the PS4 this year.

Putty

Really? I Hope they would Show more Gameplay and Not announce games that are 5+ years away.

Terrific post. I suspect you won't return to this thread given you post nature/history...On the off chance you do, would love to hear a follow up?

HardRojo

Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Nier Automata, Horizon and Persona 5, with Crash releasing in 2 months. I think their games have been doing the talking for them, plus E3 is just around the corner.

farisr

Last time they announced a game that was 5+ years away was 2009 with the TLG. Most of their first party announcements this gen have had a 1-2 year timeframe from reveal to release.

Out of the current games revealed, Death Stranding is the only one that has a chance of coming out more than 3 years after reveal. (No idea what Capcom is doing with Deep Down, wouldn't be surprised if it ends up as a multiplat like RIME did if they intend on releasing it at all)

The rest didn't get release windows because they didn't want to announce and delay a game by whatever amount of time again, like they've had to do with many games this gen (driveclub, ratchet, uncharted, horizon, gt sport), not because the games are really far off.

ClearData

I really don't think they need to say a word until E3. The lineup the past few months will keep me busy for a long time. E3 will show off the fall first and third party fall lineups and future titles for next year.

Even if there are delays I think I'm spoiled with quality right now. And there's presumably Horizon DLC, Lost Legacy, Edith Finch, and maybe Red Dead 2 out there for me in the future.

Nameless

Sonys typically quiet because they have multiple conferences to fill with announcements.

Exactly. And this year has seen them delivering on a lot of the goods that have taken center stage past conferences. Plus we've had Battlefront II and COD WW2 revealed in recent weeks with Destiny 2 up next -- three gargantuan titles Sony has marketing deals for this Fall.

Seems counterproductive if not downright silly to cannibalize those reveals with their own announcements, especially with E3 right around the corner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In all fairness - PS3 had 2 major hw-revisions in its first 12 months on the market (and "two" price drops) - PS2 had one of each (also in first 12 months).

While I wouldn't expect any physical design changes ("Slim" Pro is obvious nonsense), it's not impossible they'd do something like a UHD BR drive revision, although the fear of early-adopt backlash likely prevents this.

Is there a significant difference in the drives? Wondering if it'd be possible for Sony to update the drive firmware to support UHD, like they have in the past with the HDMI output for HDR and I think stereo 3D in the past?

Top Bottom