• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

Alebrije

E3 is coming

Sony is just waiting...no need to do anything now.

RIc4u9qv4XWTTQ03xJeK4B62Qm646Cnz6GNJq-wCIK9vQccMfvtlqXlpSHPB6THiC6MK4sbfbWNfm0t5=w400-h250-nc

Sony doesn't need do to anything in regards to PS4, it has quality games coming out steadily and is smashing the competition.

I wouldn't mind more information regarding PS VR tho.

Ascenion

Relatively credible leaks for them are stated for 2017, but even if they don't make 2017 clearly they won't be 2021 like the poster says and they were still revealed with gameplay.

Spider-Man doesn't make sense in 2017 if you miss the release of Homecoming. Even if they are unrelated, it's idiotic to miss the marketing boost from the movie. And the home video release won't nearly be as big. It's best to drop it next year with Avengers Infinity War.

pswii60

Phil keeps talking about what he needs to do and what he wants to do, Sony is just doing it.
Yep. And Phil talking in recent interviews like they're real experts in analysing the market, about how single player story driven games are dead and games should be a service now.. all whilst Sony and Nintendo keep releasing hugely successful single player games that sell in incredible numbers and push their hardware to do the same. Sounds like excuses to me.

I was such a fan of the 360, I can't believe how little interest I have in what they're doing now. They lost me with the XBO reveal and even with Phil's promises there's no interest for me.

Yep. And Phil talking in recent interviews like they're real experts in analysing the market, about how single player story driven games are dead and games should be a service now.. all whilst Sony and Nintendo keep releasing hugely successful single player games that sell in incredible numbers and push their hardware to do the same. Sounds like excuses to me.

I was such a fan of the 360, I can't believe how little interest I have in what they're doing now. They lost me with the XBO reveal and even with Phil's promises there's no interest for me.
Way to spin words like I've never seen them spin. Hyperbole at its best.

Generally I agree with the people saying "E3 is coming". But I'd like to see more active communication on PSVR, and PS4 Pro. Sony put out two $400 chunks of hardware last year, which they're kind of neglecting. It's ridiculous that a neogaf thread and DigitalFoundry are the main communicators for the Pro.

Meanwhile the PSVR really has no champion right now, and little in the way of a roadmap. Sony could very well come out with a huge lineup of unannounced VR killer apps at E3, but they could also ignore it like they did Vita.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
They don't brag like MS that's for sure! They've gone silent despite winning NPD. As far as talking with the media, I'd rather them let the games do the talking.
Yea forgot about this.

They just might be focused on other things.

It's extra weird because MS has very little track record for games as a service. This model's natural home is on PC, but Xbox is in no better position than PS to deliver. Both platforms have ARK, Paragon, ESO, etc. There's no reason to think Sony isn't catering to service developers even if that's not their publishing focus.

Generally I agree with the people saying "E3 is coming". But I'd like to see more active communication on PSVR, and PS4 Pro. Sony put out two $400 chunks of hardware last year, which they're kind of neglecting. It's ridiculous that a neogaf thread and DigitalFoundry are the main communicators for the Pro.

Meanwhile the PSVR really has no champion right now, and little in the way of a roadmap. Sony could very well come out with a huge lineup of unannounced VR killer apps at E3, but they could also ignore it like they did Vita.
Statix and star blood arena came out recently
Farpoint comes out next month with a new controller as well as Star Trek at the end of may.
I'm not sure if their vr studios will be ready to show yet but we'll see at e3 I guess

mave198

With what has released this year along with what's been announced, Sony doesn't have to say anything.

And we still got E3 in a few months.

MS will basically need to announce Half-Life 3 exclusive to compete with Sony.

convo

There is no need to talk for the sake of talking, which is what Spencer has been doing in recent years.

They are doing what everybody should be doing, letting the games and the hardware do the talking. Just shut up and deliver.

Yeah i will not care about anyone's new hardware announcement unless it also has games to go with it. It has been constant games back-to-back-to-back. That's why waiting until E3 is a good idea to not overwhelm us with more stuff in a busy time for games. If RDR2 manages to make this year than what does anyone have to worry about the industry? Even if nothing else were to be announced for this year, there is plenty enough.
Any suprises will be welcome of course and i only need a new From game to make me excited for next year.

Statix and star blood arena came out recently
Farpoint comes out next month with a new controller as well as Star Trek at the end of may.

Farpoint was E3 last year, and those other games are just not notable, sorry.

Anyway, I'm not saying "PSVR is doomed", "no games", etc. I'm saying there's no roadmap, and no medium-term vision. Basically everything we've seen is a first generation experience. It's up to Sony to communicate the 2nd generation, which is always where games get interesting.

Farpoint was E3 last year, and those other games are just not notable, sorry.

Anyway, I'm not saying "PSVR is doomed", "no games", etc. I'm saying there's no roadmap, and no medium-term vision. Basically everything we've seen is a first generation experience. It's up to Sony to communicate the 2nd generation, which is always where games get interesting.
Well if you were going to dismiss games I wouldn't have bothered

I like surprises and I'm not someone who's always itching for a leak or rumors....so Sony silence makes me happy. No shade to MS since Phil is doing rounds of interviews about Scorpio and it's not his fault....but it's boring when nothing is really being said but more "please be excited, we are investing money into 1st parties, Netflix for gaming" etc etc... all of that is cool but we've been down the road of talking about these commitments...just do and release.

barybll

Banned
Phil just talks too much, tries to be "our guy" too much, it just increases my scepticism

I rather have nintendo or sony approach

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well. Suffice it to say, some folks will shit their pants.
Uh oh.

Hardware related I would over a new hand held. My head would explode if its news of the PS5.

Game wise, the usual will be nice regardless.

So....

(Time to read back thru this thread to see who said they would shit their pants ..)

bombshell

Are they quiet though?

Just recently they've announced release dates for Uncharted Lost Legacy, Everybody's Golf, WipEout Omega Collection, Crash Trilogy and a few others and that's coming off an incredibly strong start to the year with acclaimed exclusives one after another.

Meanwhile MS has had fuck all to say about games for a very, very long time unless you like RTS on consoles, which very few people do.

E3 is close and that's where you'll get the megatons.

cakely

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?

Actually delivering games and not spending more time talking about delivering games is overconfident, now?

If anything it probably means they're getting better about leaks. They have a ton of events worldwide they need to have content for, good to be tight lipped in my opinion.

If anything it probably means they're getting better about leaks. They have a ton of events worldwide they need to have content for, good to be tight lipped in my opinion.

I remember when there was a rumor that Sony themselves put out the "Last guardian is cancelled" rumor to flush out a leaker, Unfortunately for IGN they were the ones that reported it and have to acknowledge that it wasnt true.

The console war is crazy.

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?

yosp is still doing interviews and other shows on twitter and youtube and other gamedesignesr give also interviews regularly like the makers of parappa, horizon, uncharted and others.

They have always been like that. Sony just has to keep delivering games. You have major Nelson creating threads and communicating with the Xbox community on reddit about upcoming features, and you have Sony keeping their community in the dark. Simple really.

Head.spawn

Is it okay if i think people who pretend they don't know when the announcements and news is coming are being completely ridiculous?

The companies have different strategies and I'm not sure why anyone who is paying attention has a cause for concern.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That would be really hard to do. How do you top that live orchestra?

Its a slippery slope actually as I thought last years E3 was great not just for the content shown but how they showed it off. It was confident, it was slick, it moved at a great clip and really did everything it could to make already grandiose gaming stuff seem even more than it was. However if they went too far with all the extra stuff and it started weighing things down then it could get bloated or loose sight of things. I remember those E3 shows that got a little too far up their own asses.

Still I think more of the same from last year with a little bit extra would do wonders in selling games people already want to see and purchase as well as draw in others. Everyone loves a good bit of presentation and spectacle, even stuff like Kojima walking in was pretty well done. Eye catching enough and fast enough that it didn't slow the whole thing down but enough to let people show their enthusiasm for the man who created so many great games.

Its a tight rope walk but Sony seems to have got it together going off their last few big conferences including last years PSX which went from what I consider a fan and niche event to something bigger with that premiere of TLoU2.

Crayon

The catering is going to bad and there won't be enough bathrooms and some people are going to shit their pants. I don't know anything. Just my best guess as of now.

Top Bottom