• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

B.O.O.M

They are just building up that Spartan rage meter.....and then we know what happens

tumblr_o8rznfxIEo1s2wlkdo1_500.gif

sense

Modern game marketing is generally 5-8 months prior to launch, and I'm not convinced they have games making it this Fall that they aren't already talking about (Uncharted and Gran Turismo), so E3 is more likely.

You'll notice that we don't actually have any Ubisoft titles outside of South Park announced either, which would suggest their three remaining titles are one November game (guessing a May unveil), and probably two E3 reveals for Q1.

Also, Sony is out of touch with the market in that they don't have much in the way of service games, so they don't have much to talk about frequently in between releases. If you look at Activision Blizzard, most of their talking is about their constant updates to their hugely successful service games.
Or maybe they are doing the smart thing and providing the games the competition is lacking and let the third parties free reign on their platform with gaas. Not an easy task to come out with a successful gaas product that is also exclusive. It doesnt seem to hurt their financials as well.

Dynomutt

I am hoping they're not getting complacent. Hopefully that quietness translates in work being done and not idle hands (great movie by the way!).

UI/OS could be more intuitive. Getting into communities is a process. Maybe used Triangle or Square are programmable long press hot keys when in the main menu.

Servers? Announce that some of that PSN money has been used in a partnership with AWS to increase stability and performance.

PS Plus needs some type of rework or add-on especially after the price increase.

The elephant in the room is still backwards compatibility it is inconsistent and PS2 on PS4 I not exactly flexible.

Chill out on hardware except for an improved premium controller. Leave it the same maybe better plastics more metals. Braided USB and 2 or 4 programmable action buttons on the underside where your fingers rest for easy access.

Other than that I'm Gucci! Back to RetroArch and the NBA Playoffs.

DMONKUMA

So we definitely are getting a Knack 2 shadowdrop with Knack being available on PS+ right after the conference? Right?

They actualy had a fuckton of games coming out, what else needs to be said?

*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.

leave-britney-alone-02.jpg

How have they been quiet? The Last of us 2 just starting mocaping with a new cast member announced, Nioh and Neir just got more dlc announced in the last weeks, they just showed off Uncharted dlc, Destiny 2/Cod WW2 just announced marketing support for the fall, Horizon has had several patches, and God of War has had a couple production updates. Seems like plenty of small stuff.

Quiet? I'd rather them show us with actions not words and they have done a great job. Persona 5 and Horizon alone are GOTY typw candidates and it is only about to be mid 2017. I'd rather see results than get empty words like with MS.

I have more games I need to play now than I ever did in the past.

I don't need Sony talking. I need them to continue doing what they've been doing.

*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.
Sorry, but I've been too busy playing games on my PS4 to actually care about what these companies have to say. We are only 4 months into 2017 and I already have 4-5 more PS4 games that I really want to buy, but I'm simply not done by what I've already purchased for this system.

De_Legend

Banned
To be fair, FFVIIR was announced at 2015 E3 alongside Shenmue 3. I can easily see FFVII not releasing before 2019 at least and Shenmue is not going to come out till late 2018 most likely.

I have a hard time not seeing FF7 and Shenmue 3 in 2018. Plus they are 3rd party.

Xe4

Banned
I mean, if there's any time for a studio/big 3 to STFU it's right before E3. Build anticipation by not saying much, and then let it all loose in June.

Whats more interesting to me is how well Sony has kept a lid on leaks, which they've historically been pretty shit at doing.

Nintendo is being quiet too, it's only Microsoft that's doing a lot of PR.

Phil talks a lot. Has been the case since he was in charge.

These days you basically have people from Xbox going on mini PR campaigns every time they do a system update.

Its kinda cool they are so public facing I guess. If at times a bit desperate looking.

For the PS side, Boyes was OK with doing the odd interview and podcast here and there and I guess Sony is missing someone like that now but TBH Sony has releases games during the first half of the year. So we had a big Horizon push. We had a month of coverage for the Uncharted 4 DLC. We had Persona and Neir bringing it from 3rd parties. They dont need to pander when they are actually delivering the goods.

But I swear we see the same stuff every first half of the year leading to E3. People wonder why Sony is being so quiet while Phil is out there tweeting random hyperbolic shit and giving interviews to Xboxfans420.zone. Its just different approaches.

phansen

Neo Member
Spencer is constantly talking to the media because all the games that are talked about right now are on PS4, PC and Switch. If it wasn't for him constantly blowing steam in interviews MS would be pretty much out of the videogame coverage loop. Sony doesn't need to do any of that. I would even say they shouldn't give any interview so as not to take coverage away from the games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Or maybe they are doing the smart thing and providing the games the competition is lacking and let the third parties free reign on their platform with gaas. Not an easy task to come out with a successful gaas product that is also exclusive. It doesnt seem to hurt their financials as well.
Sure, and that's fine, but the implication is that they would have less to talk about compared to their peers who are constantly communicating about game updates.

Maybe "out of touch" doesn't quite evoke the right image. "Operating differently from"?

Fisty

Spencer is constantly talking to the media because all the games that are talked about right now are on PS4, PC and Switch. If it wasn't for him constantly blowing steam in interviews MS would be pretty much out of the videogame coverage loop. Sony doesn't need to do any of that. I would even say they shouldn't give any interview so as not to take coverage away from the games.

This E3 is probably the most important in MS history, I really believe that. If they just show Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 (and maybe a few pure-CG teasers) it's going to be a bloodbath. Not even Scorpio hype will save them

Sure, and that's fine, but the implication is that they would have less to talk about compared to their peers who are constantly communicating about game updates.

Maybe "out of touch" doesn't quite evoke the right image. "Operating differently from"?
I'd agree that's a better way to put it

That's the best way to put it, and their better for it IMO. If they were pushing GaaS as well their platform wouldn't stand out

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well. Suffice it to say, some folks will shit their pants.
The moonlight glistens as it reflects on the dew drops.
No footsteps heard, yet an eerie silence fills the room.
A sudden gust of wind, the rustling of autumn leaves.
Cuts through the quiet like cold Samurai steel through warm tired flesh.

Rymuth

"Slow to adapt"

sense

Yea just disagreed with the out of touch part.

Then again when people say they are quiet, they probably mean no new service announcements like game pass, play anywhere, nindies direct!! system or game updates. I was sort of surprised there was nothing meaningful coming out of gdc from them when they usually have some announcements or atleast new indies. The only notable info so far this year is probably uncharted expansion date and a low key gt sport beta.

Why chase the GaaS craze when you can get exclusive marketing for it?

Good luck trying to compete with juggernauts like Overwatch, Destiny, any of the 30 from Ubisoft, etc.

Many of the "me too" Sony games ended up terrible, so why bother.

specdot

GTS is more than enough for Sony this fall and that's the only first party game I'm expecting from them this year. I could see GOW having the Horizon time slot for Q1 2018. Third party games will carry Sony this holiday.

I hope Gaf has their expectations in check.
If that does happen, people are going to lose their minds. "Ohh Sony has nothing this holiday season, MS and Nintendo gonna outsell them on Black Friday 4:1". Prompted by another huge BF by Sony "on 3rd Party Games alone".
Anyway, they gonna either open, or close with actual story and gameplay trailer for FF VIIR with a release date. It's time.

Mooreberg

They're publishing a bunch of games this year. Chatter for what comes next year will start at E3. I'm just surprised that Spiderman is obviously not coming out alongside the movie. Maybe it will be timed with a Blu-Ray release in October?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Nirolak said:
If you look at Activision Blizzard, most of their talking is about the constant updates to their hugely successful service games.
Blizzard's last 15 years were almost exclusively games as a service, ie. you're taking the golden standard in making online games and applying it as a benchmark - when most of the rest of the industry is just as "out of touch" as Sony.
Even Activision themselves - they've been fumbling with their main IP for some time now, failing to go from annualized subscription to a proper service, so they aren't exactly a highlight.
Ubisoft is a more apt comparison as they've come from a polar-opposite approach to the market and have been trying to turn the ship around for 7 years or so now.

That being said - I like Sony doing what they do as they are filling a niche most other publishers either completely dropped the ball on, or aren't interested in anymore. The "we should all follow the leader" is precisely the mentality that has frequently led this industry into bad places in the past, until someone disrupted the under-served market segments.

MS need to talk because they have a console launching this year... what does Sony need to say that their games are not? The PS4 console is dominating as well as software, plus mind share and marketing is strong. MS continues to promise new IP and talk power, but they have yet to deliver this gen.

Calm before the storm from Sony I think.

Fisty

Nah.

I could see a minor hw revision on both PS4 and PS4 Pro to add UHDBR drives though, at the very least for the pro if only for marketing purposes.

Not a chance. For the small selection of UHD discs and no games being able to use them, no point whatsoever. Wait for PS5 in 2019

I mean Sony doesn't have much reason to be saying a lot at the moment? The PS4 itself is doing fine, there's plenty of software launching, and there isn't a whole lot else to say. I'm sure they'll have plenty to say / show at E3 and then likely will go back to relatively quiet for a while because, again, the platform is stable and there's not a ton worth running around about.

MS have to be vocal because they have a brand new platform launching and have to convince consumers it's worth investing in. Also there has been a lot of doubt about the state of their 1st party, so again it's something that needs to be addressed.

They are just in 2 totally different situations

Top Bottom