• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why does it matter if Sony is saying stuff right now? They have games. Exclusives, even. Really good ones. Like, I have a tough time understanding how someone could look at their 2017 lineup and have doubts about their direction. They don't need to say shit.

xviper

no need to talk, the impressive line up of exclusives they offered this year talks for them

also, sony has always been silent near E3, then they blow your mind with their show, last year's sony E3 was the best E3 of all time for me, no talking, no bullshit, just showing games after games after games

They have been killing it with early 2017 games, so I don't see what they need to speak out.
Also E3 is not too far off...
MS is going to be launching a new console this year, so it's only natural that they talk more imo.

this

also besides death stranding who knows when there Next first party announcement will be !

Dabi

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Eh, Sony is constantly proving their worth by showing and proving. I'm 100 % fine with the silence.

wapplew

Sure, and that's fine, but the implication is that they would have less to talk about compared to their peers who are constantly communicating about game updates.

Maybe "out of touch" doesn't quite evoke the right image. "Operating differently from"?

Sony have plenty of service games themselves, just not their eye catching portion.
Uncharted 4 MP still getting constant update, MLB the show DD mode selling card packs. Coming up, GT sport, Everybody's golf and Dreams seems to have similar business structure.
Their few attempts at full on service game failed, I guess they won't force GaaS happen now, rather let their game include service option organically.
Horizon 2 probably will include multiplayer mode, that's how they approach GaaS I think.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel if a company has titles actually at the store for the consumer to purchase then they don't have to say much. All they really have to do is keep filling the next quarter of games.

I'm thrilled with the lineup already this quarter and it isn't like Sony is gonna say how mediocre something was. I personally think they're fine because E3 is right around the corner.

I could hypothetically point to another thread about Microsoft or even Nintendo. Eg where are Microsoft games besides Scorpio hype? Where are the Switch games? etc etc

Bold One

mou1.png

Thats fucking badass

STEaMkb

Sony have plenty of service games themselves, just not their eye catching portion. ... Coming up, GT sport, Everybody's golf and Dreams seems to have similar business structure.

Dreams allows user-created content to be shared for free. You can even 3D print your designs.

Marceles

Is it just me or things have been very quiet recently on Sony's side ? I mean since PSX, they have been radio silent while MS with Spencer have been very active in gaming medias.

Is it a Calm before Storm situation we are witnessing or are they a bit overconfident with their actual position in the market ?

Silence is underrated these days. Everything was awesome when we had to depend on new gaming news once a month with magazines. Now people expect some sort of update or leak every week or more.

Wagram

They're winning by a mile, had an unbelievable lineup of software come out and there's still more coming. They don't need to speak. Keep it tight lipped and have a fun E3.

This E3 is probably the most important in MS history, I really believe that. If they just show Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 (and maybe a few pure-CG teasers) it's going to be a bloodbath. Not even Scorpio hype will save them

They'll end with Halo 6.

Temascos

Neo Member
Ask, and ye shall receive! ;)

Simply perfect! :)

While I'm not a MS fan, I do hope they try to expand what they are doing. They'll need it if they are to compete in the console space, especially with Sony and Nintendo releasing great games recently.

Dargor

Live action skits on stage, acting out all game trailers.

No CG whatsoever.

Having an orchestra again wouldn't hurt either, lol

Nah man, TWO orchestras, both playing different themes at the same time, so people get confused as fuck deciding which awesomeness they should pay attention to lol

edit: Is it just me or are these sources of infinite meme gifs?

Wagram

I would like the Orchestra to return. Not using them for Sephiroth would be a total missed opportunity (plus they're so good).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I personally think with E3, PSX and their pre Jump Festa conference all lined up for this year, they would be right to save their ammo.

As much as people say otherwise, Switch will likely be a great success...who knows what Scorpio will turn out like, but Sony i feel knows they have to make sure they are ready to spread out announcements and keep hype going throughout the year when their competition for all intents and purposes will be trying their absolute hardest to fire on all cylinders

dracula_x

Well. Suffice it to say, some folks will shit their pants.

96gGFIl.gif

Modern game marketing is generally 5-8 months prior to launch, and I'm not convinced they have games making it this Fall that they aren't already talking about (Uncharted and Gran Turismo), so E3 is more likely.

You'll notice that we don't actually have any Ubisoft titles outside of South Park announced either, which would suggest their three remaining titles are one November game (guessing a May unveil), and probably two E3 reveals for Q1.

Also, Sony is operating differently from the rest of the market in that they don't have much in the way of service games, so they don't have much to talk about frequently in between releases. If you look at Activision Blizzard, most of their talking is about the constant updates to their hugely successful service games.

the funny thing is that Sony already has a successful GaaS franchise –
Gran Turismo since GT5

Roufianos

They don't need to say anything. Nioh and Yakuza 0 are some of the best games this gen and obviously Horizon was a big success. That's all the talking I need.

Top Bottom