• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's actual quietness

yurinka

They'll tease PS5 right around Scorpio launch.
Why? Scorpio won't affect them at all, same as Switch.

They estimate that are going to sell 18M PS4 consoles this fiscal year, which means 78M units after 4 years and a half. And have the strongest exclusive catalog by far for the rest of 2017 (plus marketing deals with the main multi games) and 2018.

They don't give a fuck about Scorpio or Switch. They don't have reasons to worry about.

Loris146

Ask, and ye shall receive! ;)

tRInc63.gif

Thanks for reminding me the best period on gaf ( Playstation meeting 2013 ).

jrDev

Never change from what? Making reasonable arguments as to why silence in this case is warranted? Why Nintendo must do more talking to convince people to buy their system and have faith they'll support it?
Are you talking about the Sony that dropped the Vita 1 year in? Please, all these companies do the same thing, there are always biases on the forum; revisionism skews everyone's views too...

*Nintendo says relatively little* - "They have nothing!!!! Nintendoomed!!!"

*Sony says the square root of nothing* - "Pfft, who needs communication?"

Never change, GAF.

No the fault is on you for not noticing that Sony hardware was released 3/4 years ago, they already have a catalog , unlike the switch that need one to stay alive.

paulogy

From the way this year has gone so far, it seems like they're just letting the games do the talking:

Edit: And I just added it up and I think 12 of those 20 games aren't on Xbox One (or at least not yet)

I'm actually a bit surprised with how many Scorpio / Spencer interviews we've seen over this same period, but it makes sense if they're not having a dedicated Scorpio conference ahead of E3.

Thanks for reminding me the best period on gaf ( Playstation meeting 2013 ).
It really was, the hype was through the roof and the sheer tidal wave of fun and creative gifs really was the most fun I have had here.

Wait, is this true?? It can't be that much. I thought Xbone was around 40m.
While no one officially knows its fair to assume you could take 10 million off your number from what I remember reading.

specdot

Why would you think they were around 40 million when they stopped giving numbers at around 20 million.
With all the talking MS has been doing lately and all the hype in those Scorpio threads, the service announcements, BC, and the way Xbone owners talk up the console I was certain it was at a higher number than 30m. Boy can Gaf really throw someone - who doesn't care about figures much - off.
I'm guessing the Switch's current success is being overblown as well?

Head.spawn

I wouldn't be surprised by another From exclusive.

Well that's a bit different, they have a long history of doing games together. But even with Bloodborn, I think people mainly wanted PC ports (likely many Sony fans) because of the poor performance stuttering, lack of 60 fps, crap image quality and the crazy cyan/magenta 80's 3d glasses effect all over everything.

If they release a good performing game, I don't think you'll see as much clamoring.

He doesn't know

Gotcha, I thought I missed something, everyone kept quoting 'em.

autoduelist

Are you trying to spin that they are showing their games 4 years before they launch as a positive?

That is a positive. It's great to know about games in advance. Sure, we may have to wait for those games, but we get other previously desired games now.

Elfstruck

With all the talking MS has been doing lately and all the hype in those Scorpio threads, the service announcements, BC, and the way Xbone owners talk up the console I was certain it was at a higher number than 30m. Boy can Gaf really throw someone - who doesn't care about figures much - off.
I'm guessing the Switch's current success is being overblown as well?

These don't sell consoles. People don't buy new console to play old games, I know I wouldn't. For Q1, MS has been lackluster when it comes to games compared to the likes of Sony and Nintendo.

Also, Switch's success is not overblown. It's selling like hotcakes, and I don't think it's gonna slow down anytime soon.

Hawk269

Sony has insane E3 conferences for at least 3 years in a row, and PlayStation Experience shows that rival E3, and OP questions whether Sony has anything to show lol

I have really enjoyed many of the recent E3 shows, but I don't think they are insane. The one year where Shenmue 3, LG & the FF game, really did not materialize fully as of yet. Yeah, it was a great "talking point" but little to no substance behind that. Sony basically said what people wanted them to say and people went ape shit. Same thing with the Death Stranding reveal, it was a pre-rendered video of a game no one knows what it is or what genre it would be, yet you had people going over ape shit for something they have no idea what it is. Those moments to me are cringe worthy.

When Sony shows games and spends time talking about them and show actual gameplay is what excites me and Sony has shown to be very consistent about that portion. I actually was not blown away too much by last years show. Sony however is in such an amazing place right now. They have a lock on almost every major 3rd party game with the advertising/marketing rights...which although they will show up on other platforms, it is such a great position to be in.

For me, Sony needs to bring some compelling software for the PSVR...they launch the thing and support has been abysmal and they need to really come to the show with some compelling software for it. We seem to already know the big games they will show, COD, SW BF2, Destiny 2, Spider-Man, Horizon DLC, GOW, Days Gone, Death Stranding, Last of Us 2 etc...that is already a lot of stuff to show and all of those will need their time to not be lost in the shuffle.

It is going to be interesting how they balance the show this year....the scary thing is that the titles I listed above is 3/4 of the entire show for them, if not more. These games need their time in the spotlight as well, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Looking forward to it big time and I hope that PSVR gets some love and we get a few new unknown announcements that are not 2-3+ years out.

With all that said...that is why Sony is pretty quiet right now...they have some great selling games available right now, great selling system and they have no reason to say anything since they are in that market leader position.

????

Can't drop a nugget of info like that without telling us more.

thats not what im doing

just a prediction. if you've been noticing with ps4 exclusive threads, port begging is a common theme. its a combination of the quality of said exclusives and the other guys lacking in that department.

sam12

I personally think with E3, PSX and their pre Jump Festa conference all lined up for this year, they would be right to save their ammo.

As much as people say otherwise, Switch will likely be a great success...who knows what Scorpio will turn out like, but Sony i feel knows they have to make sure they are ready to spread out announcements and keep hype going throughout the year when their competition for all intents and purposes will be trying their absolute hardest to fire on all cylinders

They don't have to worry about Microsoft. They misfire more times than not

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I have really enjoyed many of the recent E3 shows, but I don't think they are insane. The one year where Shenmue 3, LG & the FF game, really did not materialize fully as of yet. Yeah, it was a great "talking point" but little to no substance behind that.

That generally doesn't matter to the reveal of those games and what people were asking for, whether they came out yet is kind of irrelevant.

I feel like a lot of your statements there are attempting to downplay downplay downplay with no real way of doing so.

Ni No Kuni 2 hasn't come out yet, yet it was revealed at a Sony conference and people were happy to see it, does that mean its just a talking point...because it hasn't come out yet? Its a ridiculous argument to make.

I think GTS will be enough for the end of the year, plus the 3rd party deals.

Push GOW for March and Spider-Man for June-September.

GTS is the only first party game this fall from Sony. I'm quite confident of that GOW will land nicely in that horizon release date slot.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think GTS will be enough for the end of the year, plus the 3rd party deals.

Push GOW for March and Spider-Man for June-September.
They will want Spider-Man as close to the film as possible, even if there is no connection.

That generally doesn't matter to the reveal of those games and what people were asking for, whether they came out yet is kind of irrelevant.

I feel like a lot of your statements there are attempting to downplay downplay downplay with no real way of doing so.

Ni No Kuni 2 hasn't come out yet, yet it was revealed at a Sony conference and people were happy to see it, does that mean its just a talking point...because it hasn't come out yet? Its a ridiculous argument to make.

Yep people are just happy to know games are coming even if they take a while .
Some of them still going to sell good so that don't really matter in the long run .

Top Bottom