• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Fate/Grand Order was the #3 highest grossing mobile game worldwide in January

Watch the subtitles too the English dub is atrocious
Yeah, I always watch it in it's native language, and only watch dubs if I read they are good. DBZ is like the only show I can stand in English, full metal alchemist was good too, but that show creeped me out some lol.

Breads

Banned
Lineage 2... I've fallen back into that hole multiple times - the latest being in 2013 which is when I left behind my lvl 95 Feoh Wizard (Spellhower). Interesting see that name still being thrown around. Can't believe I'm seeing an L2 anything being no. 2. L1 seems to be the one that withstood the test of time while L2 sputtered on and on.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This. Just stop after Zero.

Also, ignore this. People who get in to Fate from zero have a complex about the rest of the franchise and can't disassociate the adaption from the rest of the series, for various reasons.

For your own sanity, i advise not to fall into the trap

How much does Sony make from the game?

I feel like they would be talking about it a lot more if they were actually making money off it. Developers or the license holders might be getting a big chunk of the profit

They mention it in their fiscal reports pretty much every quarter at this point. the last quarter was when they actually name dropped it.

Lemstar

watching fate/zero and then thinking that fate/stay night is bad is like preferring the phantom menace over the original trilogy

f/z gets away with being so tonally and thematically different from f/sn because it's a prequel that was written after, but if you're watching it first then it defeats the purpose since pretty much everyone who does that has warped expectations of what f/sn should be

just don't do it

The series has a complicated history of adaptions.

When the fate franchise was still early, DEEN studio was given rights to do a fate stay night anime. they did an adaption of the first route of the visual novel in 2006(which is where i started fate back then in high school). It wasn't done particularly well but has nostalgic value and certain redeeming elements.

DEEN in 2010 did a movie adaption of the second route, unlimited blade works, it was very rushed having to fit in an hour and a half time period, and the content suffered, although i didn't think it was so bad.

DEEN lost the rights after that and Ufotable got them, which they then used to make 2011's "Fate Zero" adaption of the prequel light novel. It was well received. This gave them incentive to do 2014's Fate Stay Night Unlimited Blade works anime series adaption.

In addition to this, there have been other anime spinoffs like Canival Phantasm, Grand order and such, but they are not considered apart of the main fate stay night material.

If you want to know the story, i always say start with the visual novel as the anime adaptions are incomplete, except in cases where one is not used to or not into visual novels. Then i recommend starting with Fate Zero and then going to UBW. The story is incomplete and not in the order it was originally written in, but ufotable interpreted the story in a way where people could watch the prequel first and move onto FSN as if it were the sequel instead of the other way around.

If you like those, then you can go back and watch DEEN's adaptions if your curious.
Oh ok...so is it like a Hunter X Hunter situation where the older anime was updated? Small things here and there were changed, but it's still the same story.

Talha

Also, ignore this. People who get in to Fate from zero have a complex about the rest of the franchise and can't disassociate the adaption from the rest of the series, for various reasons.

For your own sanity, i advise not to fall into the trap

They mention it in their fiscal reports.

Yea I do agree UBW wasn't so bad it's just a certain character in the story becomes so underpowered that you question the series, but in itself it's still amazing the relationships between the characters is developed amazingly, also the soundtracks are heavenly, they really have the "Heavens Feel" to them.

Busaiku

watching fate/zero and then thinking that fate/stay night is bad is like preferring the phantom menace over the original trilogy

f/z gets away with being so tonally and thematically different from f/sn because it's a prequel that was written after, but if you're watching it first then it defeats the purpose since pretty much everyone who does that has warped expectations of what f/sn should be

just don't do it
So I should just skip it entirely after watching Zero?

just don't do it
I agree because I actually watched Fate/Zero first but I feel like I should not have because it really is quite a tonal shift compared to the rest of Fate Stay Night. The Ufotable Unlimited Blade Works series and now Fate/Grand Order: First Order are trying to copy the darkness of Fate/Zero to a degree when they really should not as much. Personally my favorite is actually the Fate/Kaleid series because of how funny it is.

Talha

So I should just skip it entirely after watching Zero?
No dont listen to this guy you can go in from Zero to UBW with no prior knowledge, like I did and I still enjoyed both of them. they both have their mysterys but it's really more spoiled if you start with UBW and go back to Zero

Inuhanyou

Oh ok...so is it like a Hunter X Hunter situation where the older anime was updated? Small things here and there were changed, but it's still the same story.

Well things are basically the same as the unlimited blade works DEEN movie, because they are adapting the same source material route from the VN. but the 2006 adaption is the fate route adaption, the first route, so it would be different by default.

There is also an ufotable movie series adaption of the third route, heaven's feel coming soon, so far HF has not had an anime adaption(unless you count episode 6 of carnival phantasm which parodied it, but obviously that would not really count)

Inuhanyou

If I had it my way, everyone would read all three routes of F/SN before watching F/Z.

All we can hope for is that ufotable goes back and re-does fate route, so the whole story is out there somehow. But even then i know they would probably rewrite certain things for posterity(as nasu said he wanted to do if he ever went back to fate route) and skip over certain things for pacing reasons.

T-Rex.

Banned
I mean I'm happy for them, but also fuck the gacha rates! 1% chance or some shit for a SSR smh. Oh and don't skip UBW ya fucks.

I got lucky and have Gil, Void Shiki, MHXA, Waver, King Hassan, Emiya and a bunch of others so I guess I can't complain, but still. Gimme Jeanne.

How good is Mash in the game?
Her defence is pretty great which comes in handy in the later stages.

cireza

Personally I would recommend watching first Fate's route made by DEEN. Sure it was not the best adaptation, but it is still the best way to start. It sets up the universe and characters.

Starting by Zero will simply make this show less "powerful". Going to Zero after you have seen the initial route and characters gives you a gigantic slap. In a good way.

Then, watching UBW after having seen the Fate route (first anime from DEEN) makes the show a lot better because you can really see the differences on how things happen, and be a lot more surprised.

OVDRobo

Would've loved to see it get a worldwide release some day, though I guess most of the fanbase is in Japan and it's probably a bit too long in the tooth to consider that at this point. If it or some follow-up in a few years gets a worldwide release, I'll give it a shot.

If I had it my way, everyone would read all three routes of F/SN before watching F/Z.

If you can't be bothered with figuring out how to play it yourself, I suppose reading an LP works too.
Yeah, but sadly it's just too much to ask.

The superiority complex people have towards Fate/Zero is infuriating when trying to talk about it online. Yes, it's awesome, but it purposefully set out to do something different from F/SN, and also never would've existed without F/SN.

And also, it's goddamn nonsense that people say F/SN "spoils" Zero. Zero is a prequel. That's like saying watching the Original Trilogy in Star Wars "spoils" Anakin going bad. Zero was written for fans assuming knowledge from F/SN, and so spoils significantly more for F/SN than vice versa. In the first episode alone, there are several pieces of info that were twists in F/SN that are just dropped casually.

If you're gonna go anime only, it probably is best to watch Zero then UBW, because they kinda reconfigured UBW a bit to make it act more like a sequel to Zero. But just understand that UBW came first and was a different kind of story, and that Zero got to pick and choose cool shit from the mythos and craft a cool story from the foundation of Stay/Night.

On the topic of Grand/Order, I'm glad Type Moon is doing well, but I simply despise the majority of the servants in the game. The art styles clash awfully due to all the artists, and some of the servants look simply lame, while others are shitty fapbait, and yet more are lame looking fapbait that are also gender swaps. Swapping genders a few times is okay, but it gets tiring when "x historical figure is now a little girl!" keeps happening. I feel like Fate was at its best with just the "core" materials. F/SN, F/HA, and F/Z. Fate/Extra and beyond just went completely batshit and went all in on a lot of the elements and tropes of the Nasuverse that are annoying to me.

I'd still like to give it a try, as well as play Extra one day, but yeah. Fate was already about taking mythological and historical figures and making them anime as fuck, and then Extra and onwards made it as anime as they could possibly go. And I like anime (obviously), but it's a bit far for my tastes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I mean I'm happy for them, but also fuck the gacha rates! 1% chance or some shit for a SSR smh. Oh and don't skip UBW ya fucks.

This is why I stopped. Was sick of getting rares and having them be a craft essence
or a male

Inuhanyou

Yeah, but sadly it's just too much to ask.

The superiority complex people have towards Fate/Zero is infuriating when trying to talk about it online. Yes, it's awesome, but it purposefully set out to do something different from F/SN, and also never would've existed without F/SN.

And also, it's goddamn nonsense that people say F/SN "spoils" Zero. Zero is a prequel. That's like saying watching the Original Trilogy in Star Wars "spoils" Anakin going bad. Zero was written for fans assuming knowledge from F/SN, and so spoils significantly more for F/SN than vice versa. In the first episode alone, there are several pieces of info that were twists in F/SN that are just dropped casually.

If you're gonna go anime only, it probably is best to watch Zero then UBW, because they kinda reconfigured UBW a bit to make it act more like a sequel to Zero. But just understand that UBW came first and was a different kind of story, and that Zero got to pick and choose cool shit from the mythos and craft a cool story from the foundation of Stay/Night.

On the topic of Grand/Order, I'm glad Type Moon is doing well, but I simply despise the majority of the servants in the game. The art styles clash awfully due to all the artists, and some of the servants look simply lame, while others are shitty fapbait, and yet more are lame looking fapbait that are also gender swaps. Swapping genders a few times is okay, but it gets tiring when "x historical figure is now a little girl!" keeps happening. I feel like Fate was at its best with just the "core" materials. F/SN, F/HA, and F/Z. Fate/Extra and beyond just went completely batshit and went all in on a lot of the elements and tropes of the Nasuverse that are annoying to me.

I'd still like to give it a try, as well as play Extra one day, but yeah. Fate was already about taking mythological and historical figures and making them anime as fuck, and then Extra and onwards made it as anime as they could possibly go. And I like anime (obviously), but it's a bit far for my tastes.

I agree with everything said here.

Even the grand order stuff n regards to characters...i get Arturia is popular as fuck without a doubt, i'm probably her number 1 fan. but the amount of versions of her created just for GO alone is fucking ridiculous and i think really diluted the character herself as she was originally.

I can understand rewriting Lily into younger Arturia. Hell i can even excuse Lancer Arturia being an alternate version with what Arturia's original mature body should have been.

But now they've gone too far....Alter Mysterious Heroine X who looks like a moe blob? what even is this at this point?

The game has managed to hold my interest since launch. The amount of well produced events and units is staggering. Good on them. Too bad Type-Moon hates the west.

Also they ran a paid guaranteed 5* gacha in January which is probably the reason it flew so high in the charts.

But now they've gone too far....Alter Mysterious Heroine X who looks like a moe blob? what even is this at this point?

MHX Alter is a cutie and I would suffer drinking a pumpkin spiced latte with her.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree with everything said here.

Even the grand order stuff n regards to characters...i get Arturia is popular as fuck without a doubt, i'm probably her number 1 fan. but the amount of versions of her created just for GO alone is fucking ridiculous and i think really diluted the character herself as she was originally.

I can understand rewriting Lily into younger Arturia. Hell i can even excuse Lancer Arturia being an alternate version with what Arturia's original mature body should have been.

They have always horrendously milked her design even before Grand Order. Hell even Tsukihimes heroine is now retroactively a Saber clone. That was simply the logical end pointed.

Dio

Banned

Shuten Doji was too far for me. It's just stupid now.

I hated Jack the Ripper's design in Apocrypha because it was the most egregious "historical figure is a girl", but Shuten Doji is even worse.

Lemstar

cashcow.jpg

Inuhanyou

They have always horrendously milked her design even before Grand Order. Hell even Tsukihimes heroine is now retroactively a Saber clone. That was simply the logical end pointed.

Arcuied's design is not about looking like Arturia, its a victim of Takeuchi-san's sameface issues he's suffered through recently. Most of the girls and even a lot of the guys have the same facial features. A clear downgrade from his style 5 or 7 years go.

MHX Alter is a cutie and I would suffer drinking a pumpkin spiced latte with her.

6S8Ovu3.gif

Shuten Doji was too far for me. It's just stupid now.

I hated Jack the Ripper's design in Apocrypha because it was the most egregious "historical figure is a girl", but Shuten Doji is even worse.

I was just about to mention Assasin of Black before you added her xD But yes, Shuten Doji is on that tier of bad. Its annoying becuase most of these designs are not even designed by Takeuchi san, but outside illustrators who put their otaku bait trash in there

Dio

Banned
Is this another valuable "mobile games are shit" post or do you have any complaints about the actual game?
F/GO as a straight up game is bad, the shitty flash game animation in combat is bad, the story has some really bad lows before Nasu came in and tried fixing things, and the designs for a lot of the new characters are hilariously stupid. (Note: the crap animation's one reason I uninstalled it.)

I can see why people would call it trash.

F/GO as a straight up game is bad, the shitty flash game animation in combat is bad, the story has some really bad lows before Nasu came in and tried fixing things, and the designs for a lot of the new characters are hilariously stupid. (Note: the crap animation's one reason I uninstalled it.)

The animations have gotten a lot better. They've even gone back and remade the sprites and animations for several old characters like Arthur, Emiya, Attila, Gil and Cu. I've never cared about the story, mostly because I can't read it.

And oh boy, the characters are stupid? Are you aware we're talking about Fate here?

Plus you managed to completely glide over the gameplay, but who cares about that anyway.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The animations have gotten a lot better. They've even gone back and remade the sprites and animations for several old characters like Arthur, Emiya, Attila, Gil and Cu. I've never cared about the story, mostly because I can't read it.

And oh boy, the characters are stupid? Are you aware we're talking about Fate here?

Plus you managed to completely glide over the gameplay, but who cares about that anyway.

1 Saint Quartz has been deposited to your account.

NexusCell

Ehh, to be fair, most of the recent servants all have unique or interesting animations, and they've actually gone back to previously released servants (ieL Medea, Cu, Medusa, Nero, Saber, Gil, Altera, Waver) and revamped their animations so they are all unique.

IE: Medeas animations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqc5fB4QI8

1 Saint Quartz has been deposited to your account.

Why can't people defend things without being called a fucking shill?

Dio

Banned

Okay, well, its been a while since I played so maybe they did remake the character sprites to a better standard, I wouldn't know.

Takeuchi's designs are way more restrained and iconic than some of the ridiculous designs in F/GO. Just compare Medea, Arturia and Archer's designs with, say, Shuten Doji, Elizabeth Bathory, Mozart, Jack the Ripper, etc.

Top Bottom