• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Guerilla Games: work on new IP started 2.5 years ago, 'be a bit more patient'

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
business of making mediocre games? If they weren't under Sony, they would be dead by now. They need to take it seriously and step up their game.

The money that's employing 200 people and maintaing a studio, could be better spent on more talented devs
Their games have sold millions, regardless of how you feel about them. More than enough to justify keeping a studio afloat and grow it out. There aren't many more talented devs out there that Sony could afford to buy that would do substantially better.

Anyway, if that's your stance and you're sticking to it, you should probably get around to changing your avatar then. Just a thought.

GG should be all about new IP's going forward. Nailing an appealing artstyle, a riveting setting and penning a compelling storyline will be the biggest goals for them. They are good enough at everything else that they just need those three things to really take off.

business of making mediocre games? If they weren't under Sony, they would be dead by now. They need to take it seriously and step up their game.

The money that's employing 200 people and maintaing a studio, could be better spent on more talented devs

They rack up 2-3 million sales per game on average. One would assume that's enough to keep them in the black. If they're making a profit, even if their games are 'merely' above average, why close them down? Because people like you moan about them on a forum?

Bundy

Banned
Can someone clear this for me? Does Guerrilla Games have 2 teams, and 3 teams if you include Guerrilla Cambridge, or are they part of the 2 teams?

They have two teams aka two studio (in two different buildings).
1. Team/Studio --> KILLZONE: Shadow Fall Team
2. Team/Studio --> New IP (for 2 1/2 years)

And Guerrilla Cambridge (aka SONY Cambridge Studio) in the UK.
Which you could call their third studio.

Hyunashi

GG should be all about new IP's going forward. Nailing an appealing artstyle, a riveting setting and penning a compelling storyline will be the biggest goals for them. They are good enough at everything else that they just need those three things to really take off.

I absolutely agree with your words. A compelling story and a fresh setting would do wonders with the abilities of the staff at GG.

Ape

Banned
I'm really interested in what they can do outside of KZ. Will people care? KZ in an established franchise and it has a good base of fans, hopefully they buy whatever Guerrilla makes.

Business

I absolutely agree with your words. A compelling story and a fresh setting would do wonders with the abilities of the staff at GG.

KZ:SF story was so bad again though that I have very little faith on GG's hability to create a compelling story. I hope they can hire somebody competent because the art and the tech of their games is too good to waste on mediocre storytelling.

Mr.Mike

Y'know Sony is probably one of my favourite publishers. I look forward to seeing whatever Guerilla Games has been cooking up. At the very least it'll be a graphically stunning game. But I have faith that they can make a good WRPG. I see that they've picked up the Fallout : New Vegas writer, which is a really good sign.

I wonder if Cambridge might become the Killzone team since Mercenary turned out well from what I've heard(don't own a Vita) and Sony seems to be abandoning first-party Vita development.

If GG manage to do for RPGs what they did for FPSs, when it comes to combat(and their mechanics) plus delivering a mature and dark art direction/world, then this could easily end up my GOTY. I drool thinking about the weight based swordplay with fantastic hit detection they are capable of making.

I really hope it's in 3rd person and something akin to Skyrim/Dragon's Dogma/The Witcher

I also hope the Obsidian writer is writing it. Whoever has been writing Guerilla's games is awful.

And for the love of god, please tell me they hired a new level designer. KZ:SF's level design was abysmal.

Maybe a 3rd person, semi-open world shooter/stealth RPG.

I dunno... I can't choose what kind of genre I'd me more excited about from this team lol.

Hyunashi

KZ:SF story was so bad again though that I have very little faith on GG's hability to create a compelling story. I hope they can hire somebody competent because the art and the tech of their games is too good to waste on mediocre storytelling.

Yea, I returned the game without finishing
even though the genre is not my thing, my brother also could not find himself motivated to play it
while on the other hand, completed Knack in 2 sessions.

As this might be a different direction from normal in terms of everything, I really hope they got someone new to atleast write for them.

Weren't most of those years worked on for proof of concept

They had some ideas and scraped a lot of others

They've been hiring character artist in the fall and last September they got a new story head from Obsidian

Hope it turns out better than Shadowfall.

Take all the time you need and hire a better writer!

They already did. They hired John Gonzalez, a writer from Obsidian and WB Games

He is now Guerilla Games' lead writer.

To be completely assured of how great this fact is, John Gonzalez was lead writer for Fallout: New Vegas

To be completely assured of how great this fact is, John Gonzalez was lead writer for Fallout: New Vegas

Whoa, this is amazing. My interest in their next project just increased tenfold.

Their games have sold millions, regardless of how you feel about them. More than enough to justify keeping a studio afloat and grow it out. There aren't many more talented devs out there that Sony could afford to buy that would do substantially better.

Anyway, if that's your stance and you're sticking to it, you should probably get around to changing your avatar then. Just a thought.

the multiplayer is shallow but I am enjoying it.

injurai

Banned
This probably means E3 unveiling?

Who knows, I don't expect all of Sony's new IP's to launch in 2015, a few are best saved for 2016.

Something is going to allude E3 this year certainly, but what is anyone's guess. I actually think ND's new IP is the farthest out so I certainly think we have a chance of seeing this game. Especially if it's a year out, sort of how the announced The Order a year in advance.

Guerilla imo, lacks only in writing and level design. ( hit-and-miss on the latter.) Not easy shoes to fill, but it's good that they're not hampered in ways that can't be solved by hiring good creative/design leads.

I've heard some say they're boring and not innovative in gameplay, but I think that's not a bad thing per say. They just needs to figure out the right polish, and keep things solid and grounded. I would say that SF was actually weakened somewhat in level design because they seem to attempt to go too far in trying to be 'different.'

sunnz

Would be nice if we atleast knew what type of game it is ( open world? story driven/cinimatic? RPG?)

I know the rumours point to an open world RPG i think but a confirmation would be great.
Really hope it is an open world game, SONY are lacking in that category ( thank fuck for I:SS)

btkadams

ugh so hyped. story has always been the biggest downfall of guerilla's games. i can't wait to see this game.

Sony is getting a bit anaemic with their upcoming line up. All they have shown really in terms of big games is The Order 1886 (very little) and Infamous. I wonder what they are up to? They really need to show a lot of stuff at E3.

Good, let it cook for another 1.5 years, last time they worked so long on a game it turned out to be my favourite shooter of the gen.

Anything in the oven for 2.5 years at GG definitely has my attention. I hope we get an E3 announce. That kind of dev time would make sense for a rumored WRPG, but I have serious concerns about their suitability for that genre.

KZ Shadow Fall sp seems to be really bad. Seems worse than KZ2 and KZ3. And the multiplayer is shallow

these guys should be shut down if they don't deliver on the new ip IMO

Yeah people should lose their jobs because they make games I dislike...

KZ SF has been a commercial success and even if the new IP bombs, they won't be closed and shouldn't

Grisby

Nice. I didn't play New Vegas but I always hear good things about it.

Interesting, they've become an absolutely massive studio.

If GG manage to do for RPGs what they did for FPSs, when it comes to combat(and their mechanics) plus delivering a mature and dark art direction/world, then this could easily end up my GOTY. I drool thinking about the weight based swordplay with fantastic hit detection they are capable of making.
I don't see how you share this optimism. Out of 4 of their games, only has been a contender for GOTY and even K2 was never the frontrunner in that regard. Otherwise, they've made pretty good games but never great or the best of the year. Now don't get me wrong, I am very excited about them potentially doing a WRPG game and moving away from FPS. Thankfully they got a new writer instead of the terrible writers they've had beforehand, though the problem is that they must still be working on GG Team 1's new game which likely Killzone again (why can't they get fired already?). On top of new writers, they need new people who can design and make the gameplay a lot more interesting. I am excited but very skeptical, so I'm curious what makes you so confident in this team.

The second team is probably really small (like 20/30 dev).
I really don't see how that's possible. They have more than 270 people working for them, how could only 20/30 people work on it. I doubt they had more than 150 people working on Shadow Fall. If the game has been in progress for 2 1/2 years, we should expect it in 2015.

Top Bottom