• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonys stock price falling - Nikkei:"DQ shock"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Xater said:
Well technically it will be released on another platform than the Wii, so we were not wrong.
You know exactly what I meant.

[Nintex] said:
Nintendo acting like the Wii U is some sort of Wii extension is going to bite them in the ass hard in the long run.
I don't see how having a version of the Wii's biggest third-party title in Japan close to launch is going to hurt the Wii U in the long run, but ok.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn Apple is filthy rich

"Apple Console incoming due to Stumpokapow saying Apple worth more than Sony. Apple buying Sony confirmed" - Analyst

Watches the stock market go ape shit

[Nintex]

GraveRobberX said:
Damn Apple is filthy rich

"Apple Console incoming due to Stumpokapow saying Apple worth more than Sony. Apple buying Sony confirmed" - Analyst

Watches the stock market go ape shit
That's not news, investors have been wondering what Apple is going to do with the +$50 billion in cash reserves and have touched nearly every subject from Apple buying Disney to Apple buying EA.

Ulairi

Banned
Busty said:
Before entering this thread this is more or less what I believed to be the case.

Now? Now I don't know what the hell is going.

Needless to say I am not very well acquainted with the world of business and what not.

Enlighten us please. In layman's terms if you don't mind. :p

All shares are not available on the open market. You need to see who owns what and what type of shares.

dark10x said:
Is DQX even a big deal? What kind of impact did DQ9 end up having? As far as I could tell, not much.
In the time before its release it strengthened the DS' position as the market leader and raised the confidence in the platform. The DS became even more attractive to publishers, so having Dragon Quest on your system is surely a lot better than not having Dragon Quest on your system.
And in the end it turned out to be the best selling third party game in Japan (now overtaken by MHP3rd) and sold a lot of hardware at a time when many people thought almost everybody already owned a DS.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ulairi said:
I wasn't agreeing with Warren Buffet. I was trying to make your enterprise value point. I get tired of people saying "Apple should buy X" and looking at market cap. Hostile take overs are extremely difficult and expensive unless you're Mr. Potter.

Well, sure. I agree--market cap is totally reductionist when you're thinking about a takeover. During the actual takeover stage you need to really blow out the balance sheet and look at things, starting with something like an Enterprise Value but probably going further.

It's moot anyway, because beyond whether or not Apple can buy Sony, why on earth would they want to? Sony is a fat, debt-riddled company with no breakout performer divisions, no interesting intellectual property, no real brand equity, and an enormous headcount. Apple is a lean, cash-rich company that excels at virtually everything it does, owns an enormous amount of intellectual property, has excellent brand equity, and does it with a pretty lean staff. Also they never buy large operations. Despite people telling them to, they stick to modest acquisitions of interesting companies, largely for their expertise or IP, based on ability to integrate those companies into the Apple fold.

People who want Apple to buy Sony are simply projecting their own love or hate for Sony and their own love or hate for Apple, it's not based on any business logic at all :p

Stumpokapow said:
Erm. Please don't talk about things you don't know about. Buying shares is buying a company. If you own a controlling interest in a company, you can replace the board or liquidate the company or approve a poison pill or do whatever you want to do.

What you're referring to is that a company's value is not only defined by its share price. You want to include assets. If you include assets, you need to include debts and securities. When you buy a company, you assume both assets and debts. The metric you're looking for is Enterprise Value.

Sony's enterprise value is ~$15 billion
Apple's enterprise value is ~$315 billion

Apple is worth 21 times what Sony's worth by the metric you've chosen to use. Your point is less correct using your own metric than using the metric the poster you were replying to was using.
Thank you, I get it know.
I didn't know that I don't know about enterprise value, I just was confident that market cap is not what you need to pay for owning a company; although it turned out to be more in favor of my argument :D

But still I don't understand how apple can use more than its total cash equivalent assets to buy Sony? actually I don't get how its total market cap is more than its total assets.

wsippel

Banned
Xater said:
Well technically it will be released on another platform than the Wii, so we were not wrong.
Which was hinted at months ago. Everyone should have considered the possibility, and the moment it was announced to be an MMO, I knew a Wii U version had to be announced as well. It had to be on a future proof platform, and that platform had to be a Nintendo platform. There was no surprise.

Busty

Banned
[Nintex] said:
That's not news, investors have been wondering what Apple is going to do with the +$50 billion in cash reserves and have touched nearly every subject from Apple buying Disney to Apple buying EA.

Though I don't think it will happen I wonder why the press never linked Apple with a bid for the whole of Time Warner.

Seems as good a target as any for a 'fantasy' purchase.

walking fiend said:
Thank you, I get it know.
I didn't know that I don't know about enterprise value, I just was confident that market cap is not what you need to pay for owning a company; although it turned out to be more in favor of my argument :D

But still I don't understand how apple can use more than its total cash equivalent assets to buy Sony? actually I don't get how its total market cap is more than its total assets.
company A has 10 dollars in assets and makes 40 dollars a year in profits.
company B has 40 dollars in assets and makes 10 dollars a year in profits.

Which company would you rather invest your money in over the next five years?

So let me get this straight..... the entire Japanese market is down by 2.2% and Sony is down by 2.5%.... and Nikkei's blaming the 0.3% difference on this game?

Sipowicz

Banned
Brazil said:
I don't see how having a version of the Wii's biggest third-party title in Japan close to launch is going to hurt the Wii U in the long run, but ok.

I think he's referring to nintendo's laughable and ineffective strategy of releasing consoles that look and sound like hardware upgrades

the layman will think that the Wii U is a new version of the Wii, just like he thought the 3DS was a new version of the DS. and just like the 3DS it will sell like shit

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ulairi said:
Hostile take overs are extremely difficult and expensive unless you're Mr. Potter.

66893512_fabc50f689.jpg

Top Bottom