• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) Famitsu scan

REV 09

AniHawk said:
Fighting games have never translated into action or adventure well.

Death By Degrees (Tekken), Mortal Kombat: Shoalin Monks, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, & Mortal Kombat Special Forces, Virtua Fighter Quest. Now this piece of shit. The only reason it's getting attention is because it's a formerly big name franchise on the Wii (same deal with RE:UC).
shoalin monks was a fantastic co-op beat em up. the combat was fluid and quite entertaining. you are correct on the others though.

Kreed

I'm more interested in the game play and how it uses the Wii-mote. I doubt we'll get anything Ninja Gaiden or DMC level but who knows? Hopefully we'll get some footage of this game in action soon.

Haunted

Wow at the negative reactions. The first answers in here were by Nintendo fans miffed about not getting SC4 on Wii and Sony fans trolling (I can't explain the negativity otherwise, because this scan definitely does not warrant it). I think it looks decent (what little you can tell from the scan anyway).

I love Soul Calibur 1/2 and its characters. I don't like Ninja Gaiden but I like God of War but I don't like Devil May Cry but I like Otogi. :lol

So I need to play this because I have no ****ing clue if I'm going to like this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
Are people here sour graping or something? I mean it doesn't look amazing or anything but it certainly doesn't look like shit...

actually for now it kind of is...i advise you to stop looking at screenshots and watch the videos.
Do you really think that I, of all people, have judged Mario Galaxy solely from screenshots? Of course not.

Haunted One said:
Wow at the negative reactions. The first answers in here were by Nintendo fans miffed about not getting SC4 on Wii and Sony fans trolling (I can't explain the negativity otherwise, because this scan definitely does not warrant it). I think it looks decent (what little you can tell from the scan anyway).

I love Soul Calibur 1/2 and its characters. I don't like Ninja Gaiden but I like God of War but I don't like Devil May Cry but I like Otogi. :lol

So I need to play this because I have no ****ing clue if I'm going to like this.
Actually, the first answer was from me, and I would've looked at SC4 wherever it ended up, though I'm glad it went to what I believe is the best place for the game. Hardcore fighting games and the Wii are not meant to be good friends, I'm afraid. I just feel that coming on the direct heels of the announcement, scans of the spinoff are cold comfort to Wii fans.

Anyway, based on Namco's stellar reputation for action/adventure titles, I'm sure we're all just over-reacting.

Krowley

I see no reason to hate based on these screens.

It looks non-offensive and fairly clean... Nothing much can be said about it at this stage. I like the concept of a SC adventure game and I don't see anything here that would dash my hopes or increase them. It's not beautiful but it's certainly not ugly and it does appear that they are going for a NG/DMC style game, which is what I wanted.

Taxman

I think the game looks fine. However, I do agree with those who think the game looks soulless. I hope it can find its own style before release, or I'm not going to care.

Krowley

Taxman said:
I think the game looks fine. However, I do agree with those who think the game looks soulless. I hope it can find its own style before release, or I'm not going to care.

The real hope for this game visually will be in the animation. The fighting series has tremendous animations and if there is any crossover between the main team and this team, there is a good chance this will as well.

That's the most important visual element for action games like this IMO.

G4life98

namco knows the formula...add link to sc4 and make mint, but no they have give wii owners a shit spin-off that no one wants...oh well, i guess they hate money :lol

its vfquest all over again.

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Anyway, based on Namco's stellar reputation for action/adventure titles, I'm sure we're all just over-reacting.
It's more of a dungeon crawl though evidently. At least the Valkyrie and Druaga games were pretty good...

G4life98 said:
its vfquest all over again.
Well, minus the SC Kidz and TOSE. It actually seems more long the lines of what we thought VF RPG was going to be back in 2002...

im amazed at how anihawk can obviously troll a thread and get a bunch of people to agree with him.

anyway, the graphics look ok, not that i care. other than that, i cant assume anything about this game, so i will wait for more infos.

dark10x

Hydro_Alexis said:
Looking good, haters keep hating because it aint on the system they wanna be playing
Heh, it seems more like angry Wii fans that want Soul Calibur IV along with Legends on Wii rather than people demanding Legends on other platforms. Greedy bastards. :D

What I want to know is...

Is it possible to release an actual Wii game that requires the usage of a different controller? Soul Calibur, for instance, would not play well with the Wii-mote. In fact, it would be downright horrible. The classic controller or GC pad would be superior in this case. Could a developer specify one of these pads as a requirement ala Virtual Console games?

jarrod

Banned
Francois the Great said:
anyway, the graphics look ok, not that i care.
Modeling looks nice (SC2+ level, probably just reused the assets) but it really needs some dramatic light sources and shadows. Who knew ancient Egyptians had such even lighting fixture placement for the pyramids? :lol

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:

Is it possible to release an actual Wii game that requires the usage of a different controller? Soul Calibur, for instance, would not play well with the Wii-mote. In fact, it would be downright horrible. The classic controller or GC pad would be superior in this case. Could a developer specify one of these pads as a requirement ala Virtual Console games?
That's what GGXXAC does evidently... though I think they still need to offer a wiimote/nunchuck (ie: standard) setup as an option too. Same goes for DBZ BT2 and (probably) Art of Fighting Anthology.

jarrod

Banned
Jirotrom said:
What does it say about Soul Edge at the bottom Corner? Will it be a pack in?
I think it's just going through the relevant game history. Takes place between Soul Edge/Blade and Soul Calibur, hence why they're shown.

Throwing in the System 11/12 versions might be a nice bonus though (a la the System 11/12 versions of Tekken 1-3 thrown on Tekken 5 PS2).

Threi

notag
dark10x said:
Heh, it seems more like angry Wii fans that want Soul Calibur IV along with Legends on Wii rather than people demanding Legends on other platforms. Greedy bastards. :D

Im pretty sure they can...i mean Wii games specify the control type on the back of the box - i don't think people will feel TOO burned to have to buy the CC for fighting games.

Soul Calibur, for instance, would not play well with the Wii-mote. In fact, it would be downright horrible.
Why? All it needs is a stick and four buttons, which is easily replicated with the remote and nunchuk.

dark10x

Jirotrom said:
What does it say about Soul Edge at the bottom Corner? Will it be a pack in?
It basically comments on various modes included in the PSX port (which, as noted within, was ported from arcades during the same year). Nothing involving the Wii game.

Brofist

It doesn't look that bad. I thought Death by Degrees was going to be shit from the first time I saw it. This at least has some potential. I wouldn't go expecting Ninja Gaiden just yet either though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
titiklabingapat said:
Mario Galaxy has "soul" and doesn't look flat.

Thats because of art direction. The textures still aren't in a league of their own.

Hopefully this will be a case of ninja Gaiden, or Shaolin Monks(Great game :mad:), and not some shit like Death by Degrees.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Looks good for PRE-ALPHA GRAPHICS (hey if that excuse works for Halo, why not for this game)

And yes, OF COURSE SC2 looked better. Fighting games have better graphics than adventure games for very simple reasons. You can put a whole lot more detail into two characters and one environment on screen (fighting game) than one character, one HUGE environment and dozens of enemies (adventure, action games)

Raging Spaniard said:
Looks good for PRE-ALPHA GRAPHICS (hey if that excuse works for Halo, why not for this game)

And yes, OF COURSE SC2 looked better.
Fighting games have better graphics than adventure games for very simple reasons. You can put a whole lot more detail into two characters and one environment on screen (fighting game) than one character, one HUGE environment and dozens of enemies (adventure, action games)

What? The pic in the bottom right is Soul Calibur 2, isn't it? And it definately didn't look better than this. Maybe on par but certainly not better...It's just that the main character's models will usually be a lot better than those of random enemies and so far we've only seen Taki's (and Seigfried's) which looks no worse than she did in SC2 or SC3

dark10x

Zoramon089 said:
What? The pic in the bottom right is Soul Calibur 2, isn't it? And it definately didn't look better than this. Maybe on par but certainly not better...It's just that the main character's models will usually be a lot better than those of random enemies and so far we've only seen Taki's which looks no worse than she did in SC2 or SC3
No, the bottom right blurb/picture is Soul Calibur for Dreamcast.

jarrod

Banned
Again, the models look ripped straight outta SC2... this game probably runs on a tweaked SC2 engine actually (so hopefully 60 fps). Just needssome proper lighting and it'll be set.

People really need to stop defending this game. Its a spinoff to a once great franchise being made by a Namco B team and it doesnt even look as good as its predecessor released 4 years ago.

drohne said:
it actually looks pretty nice, though there are of course many reasons to doubt its quality. its visual similarity to ninja gaiden or dmc is kind of promising -- i was expecting dq swords with old sc assets.

Yea.

We'll see. Don't quite understand all the hubbub in this topic.

Dascu

Are we actually sure it's the Death by Degrees team? Honestly, stop the whining. Give the project a chance. I'm already very satisfied with the way it looks, both graphics-wise (at least it looks like a decent GameCube game) as gameplay-wise (I was expecting first-person view like DQS or that slashing game).

Of course, sucks that we're not getting SCIV. Understandable from a developping perspective, not from an economical perspective.

Mog

Its looking okay so far. Nothing special, but okay. I hope it will be a lot better than Death By Degrees.

Threi

notag
if SB and SC1 are in this game in any way, shape or form it is an instabuy. I don't give a crap if the adventure mode turns out shitty of whatever. :lol

tribal24

Banned
btw i think it looks very good this early of a reveal>.> i dont see anything negative about this unless they happen to miss it up-_-

Top Bottom