• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) Famitsu scan

Flakster99

Initial impressions? The info needs to be translated. I'm also getting Shenmue vibes. All we have are a few screen shots to go by, which at this point doesn't mean a whole lot. I won't assume anything about this game, so I'll wait for more info.

king zell said:
the game is only 40% complete :)

And it's supposed to launch by Winter 2007?

Either it'll be 3 hours long or it's a rushjob.

My conditions for buying this game was either (a)Siegfried and Cassandra both show up (not likely, given the timeframe) or (b) this game is actually worth playing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I...can't tell shit from those scans. Looks ok in very tiny picture form though?

This thread will skyrocket in length though, especially after SC4's announcement. *snicker*

big_z

Now it's next gen!
scwii.jpg

Anyway looks like sc2 minus lighting and shadows, lower polygon characters and shittier textures. World looks flat and bland as well.

Hopefully the end product looks better since this is below cube level and the wii is more powerfull. Have a feeling this is nothing more than a quick cash in to make some money in case sc4 takes some losses.

canocha

big_z said:
Now it's next gen!
scwii.jpg

Anyway looks like sc2 minus lighting and shadows, lower polygon characters and shittier textures. World looks flat and bland as well.

Hopefully the end product looks better since this is below cube level and the wii is more powerfull. Have a feeling this is nothing more than a quick cash in to make some money in case sc4 takes some losses.

You can tell all that from those little pics!! AWSOME! :D

Krowley

Many people seem to be comparing this to the MK adventure game or virtua fighter quest...

The first thing that comes to mind for me is DOA - Ninja Gaiden which is a much more positive association. It seems to me that fighting game devs are the perfect people to work on an action title.

If it really is the SC2 director making it, even if it is a B team under him, that's good news but if it's due out this year and it's only been in development for a short time, that's obviously bad news unless it's a really short game.

fernoca

Well..I think it looks good..
I also liked MK Shaolin Monks, so there's hope..hehe.. :lol

Anyway, I love how everyone here call the Wii a GameCube (or 2 duct-taped together)..and yet, expect EVERY game to look even better than 360 games..

Oh well..
NeoGAF: Were NOTHING can please you...no matter what. :D

jrricky

Banned
^^^GAF: I like to go on internet messageboards and complain about games Ive never played. :lol :lol :lol

Anyways, thats some quality screenshots. Just hope the game plays well.

BrodiemanTTR said:
I continue to expect absolutely nothing from this.

Same thing. And outside the last two screens at the bottom of the page, the others are not in motion. So, the game looks definitely meh, for now.

This is another "Tales of the Tempest"-quality-like.

hyp

titiklabingapat said:
After SCII on the GC? These are terrible.

Soulless indeed.

The NPD and MC cannons are loaded and will be fired on Thursday in retaliation. Again.

sales figures > good games

Kafel

Banned
Is there another page coming ?

There was a pic of the game's title but I think we didn't see this complete scan.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
I think it looks surprisingly decent, are we all looking at the same game?

I was just thinking, if to get hand me down side-stories of franchises all Nintendo has to do is outsell the competition 5 to 1 combined in Japan, 3 to 1 in NA and 2 to 1 (speculation) in Europe? How do they have to perform before third parties start putting some big games on it? 20 to 1?

FiRez

AniHawk said:
Fighting games have never translated into action or adventure well.

Death By Degrees (Tekken), Mortal Kombat: Shoalin Monks, Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, & Mortal Kombat Special Forces, Virtua Fighter Quest. Now this piece of shit. The only reason it's getting attention is because it's a formerly big name franchise on the Wii (same deal with RE:UC).

shaolin monks was damn good

Satter

Banned
AniHawk said:
It might look halfway decent if it didn't remind me of every soulless (no pun intended), uninspired action or adventure game that came out during the PSX and early PS2 era. Brown rooms. Gray cloned enemies. Yeah, it looks ****ing awesome.

Or that has been, or will be, on the PS3 and 360.

G4life98

capslock said:

I was just thinking, if to get hand me down side-stories of franchises all Nintendo has to do is outsell the competition 5 to 1 combined in Japan, 3 to 1 in NA and 2 to 1 (speculation) in Europe? How do they have to perform before third parties start putting some big games on it? 20 to 1?

70% marketshare atleast :lol

Kyosuke

Why does everyone here think that this is made by the DbD team? Did I miss something?

Anyway, it looks pretty good, but the winter 2007 release termin doesn't sound very promising. I actually hope that it will get delayed so it doesn't end up being a rushjob.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
capslock said:

Like someone said, wait 6 more months until busting out these statements. If no "big" 3rd party support, then bitch.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this thread reminds me that i need to buy shaolin monks. and i've actually got a copy of death by degrees around here somewhere -- picked it up for a couple bucks on clearance. should try that too, what the hell.

jarrod

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I guess it *could* be the Spawn: Armageddon team. Or the Dead to Rights 2 team. At least we know it's not Monolith.
Probably not, since it's being made in Japan at Namco. POV Software did Spawn and Hometek's R&D team (who's now defuct) did DTR1/2.

big_z said:
NAnyway looks like sc2 minus lighting and shadows, lower polygon characters and shittier textures. World looks flat and bland as well.

Modeling looks identical to SC2, it's really just lighting and the barren environments that's making it look bland... even if it looks like this and runs at 60 fps, it'll still be better looking than Twilight Princess. :p

I don't think it's so much a "cash grab" as it was just greenlit relatively recently. I'd agree SC4's probably been in development longer though.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is another "Tales of the Tempest"-quality-like.
Uh, it's a quickie mobile upgrade from DIMPS?

Kamille

Looks pretty good to me. Was anyone expecting PS3/360 level graphics? The screens look atleast GC quality, an improvement over the below GC quality we usually get on Wii. These look to all be from the same stage, plus it's not possible to tell anything about gameplay yet...so I think I'll wait to pass judgement. Anyway, I expected worst. Looks good so far.

youta said:
You know, this really needs to stop. It mostly seems to come up with Wii/DS games and is a pretty stupid argument to begin with. If we weren't supposed to speculate and develop opinions about media for unreleased games, what's the point in posting them at all?

People were more excited about this before they knew there was an actual SC4 on the way, now it'll be trashed no matter how good or bad it turns out to be as "a dumb spin off no one cares about, got the real deal here in SC4 baby!"

Even if SC4 sucks.

typhonsentra said:
You know, this really needs to stop. It mostly seems to come up with Wii/DS games and is a pretty stupid argument to begin with. If we weren't supposed to speculate and develop opinions about media for unreleased games, what's the point in posting them at all?

No, what needs to stop is pple expecting ps3/360 graphics and derail the thread......

NeonZ

I don't think the screens look bad, but I despise the concept of this game and the probable lack of Soul Calibur 2 characters...

dont worry even if the game game gets mediocre reviews wii fanboys can always pretend they like the game and the REviewers"just dont get it"....you know like MK armageddon.

Kamille said:
Looks pretty good to me. Was anyone expecting PS3/360 level graphics? The screens look atleast GC quality, an improvement over the below GC quality we usually get on Wii.

Legends looks barely on par with SC2, let alone SC3.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Wii to match a PS2 game.

Dascu

typhonsentra said:

It's just a bit silly to see that some people have already made up their mind that this game will be crap, having only seen a few screenshots and thinking that it's made by the Death by Degrees team (1: not confirmed 2: this game could still be better).

fernoca

Though it will be interesting to know, which 'team' is making the game.
Part of the usual SC team, or just another one??

With Shaolin Monks, Midway let another studio (the one behind X-Men Mutant Academy) develop the game (with input from the MK team). Since the game ended being, actually good...Midway bought the studio.

So there's always hope that the game could be..you know..at least good.
It looks good so far.. :)

Krowley

typhonsentra said:

I agree in general, but sometimes people go over the line a little bit..

An example: The first pics of the harry potter wii game. ...They weren't bullshots so everybody started picking on them due to jaggies. Then we got a video and now it's obviously one of the best looking 3rd party games.

the pics were actually pretty good but people are in hypermode about attacking 3rd party wii games and they couldn't see the good stuff like the quality of the lighting.

This SC spinnoff game is being totally dismissed based on nothing but speculation. The pics don't look bad at all.. Certainly not enough to justify this reaction. there are reasons to be skeptical about this game, but these pics are decent compared to the average 3rd party wii game. And the artstyle.. Well it looks like the soul calibur artstyle. They've always had pretty generic art in soul calibur games and I never remember the games being especially soulfull.

Consider that this is not a fighting game, so the levels will be bigger and there will be more characters on screen.. Despite that, this is comparable to SC2 graphicly. That's pretty good and since animation is the main thing that set soul calibur apart, this may be a very impressive game in videos.

pyros

i don't see why everyone is reacting to the haters, the scans look great, when the Wii was released, we knew it was going to play "other" games, not compete with the mainstream, i will buy SC for my 360 or PS3, most probable PS3 and enjoy legends on the Wii.

i am amazed by the ability of some of the poster in this tread, in over 30 odd years of gaming, i never learnt the ability to decern the quality and depth of a game, by just looking at a scan from a magazine, i am in awe at your greatness

fernoca

typhonsentra said:

Kinda weird, coming from someone that in another thread said:

typhonsentra on Legend of Heores III (PSP) said:
Please play through this game. It has it's issues but it's a pleasent enough title and ever since I beat it I've hated how there's no one to talk about it with as it sold so horribly.

See?
With many people badmouthing the game, based on just lame pictures and previews..yet, most of them never played it...that's a reason of why some games end selling really bad.

:)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Red Blaster said:
Legends looks barely on par with SC2, let alone SC3.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Wii to match a PS2 game.

Are you on crack the taki level is straight out of the coliseum levels found in SC2. Granted the game is definetly lacking for what it could be doing get some good lighting in there RE4 and RS have me spoiled where's that self shadowing namco. It's painful to watch sc and tekken get butchered even more because of namco's incompetence.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Looks good for Wii, although it's hard to judge since I'm not sure what kind of reference I should be using - what they're aiming for. For example, the scale and complexity of the environments, number of enemies on-screen, framerate etc etc. If there are gameplay reasons for the game not to look better, I would like to know before getting all upset.

Anyway, I don't see why people are overreacting so much.

fernoca

Another thing to remember is that in all SC games you just fight in a ring/square with barely nothing around it..and the backgrounds are just there as decoration...

While in Legends, the game still manage to look as good as the previous ones, but (apparently) you can move around it and the stages are also bigger.

Considering that many consider here the Wii as a "barely more powerful PS2"....I don't know why those same are complaining. :lol

pyros

fernoca said:
Kinda weird, coming from someone that in another thread said:

See?
With many people badmouthing the game, based on just lame pictures and previews..yet, most of them never played it...that's a reason of why some games end selling really bad.

:)

well done, you hit the nail on the head, :lol

Top Bottom