• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) Famitsu scan

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
This is supposed to take place in between Soul Blade and Soul Calibur, right?

Hm... no Cassandra, then...
I didn't think it seemed that bad (though still nothing I'd buy until it hit $20 max; seems much too brown, and especially so in comparison to the vibrance of the other games in the series), but now you've definitely killed it for me. :p At least I know ahead of time, though, instead of getting hopes up.

NeonZ said:
The problem is that this is a spin off, rather than a main entry, and it seems to have limited development time- it's in 40% but is supposed to be finished by the end of the year (and probably limited budget too, judging from the lack of new costumes).

Limited dev time? This is print media. Although someone has mentioned it before, I'll reiterate. They receive their news some time in advance in order for it to be ready to be printed so the info we're getting is probably over a month old (I know it was either NP or EGM that said they get their info 2 months before print date). And I don't know why everyone thinks all game need super long dev cycles in order to be good. There are a number of games that had relatively short dev times that have turned out well (Metroid Prime 2...). Not to mention 40% probably doesn't include planning, which probably started even earlier

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Zoramon089 said:
Limited dev time? This is print media. Although someone has mentioned it before, I'll reiterate. They receive their news some time in advance in order for it to be ready to be printed so the info we're getting is probably over a month old (I know it was either NP or EGM that said they get their info 2 months before print date). And I don't know why everyone thinks all game need super long dev cycles in order to be good. There are a number of games that had relatively short dev times that have turned out well (Metroid Prime 2...). Not to mention 40% probably doesn't include planning, which probably started even earlier

Actually, the impressions may have been from an event yesterday:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/06/namco_bandai_sh.html#more

I saw this thread from work, but couldn't see the pic. After reading some of the reactions, I thought it must look pretty bad. Now I get home, and...er, wtf, guys, it looks pretty good.

My only complaints are that the locations almost appear ripped from SC2's Weapon Master mode, and the enemies look a bit uninspired. I'm not ready to dismiss this yet, even though I have little hope it will be a great game.

Also, if this takes place between Soul Edge/Blade and Soul Calibur, why is Siegfried not under the control of the weapon Soul Edge?

Terrell

Segata Sanshiro said:
The lack of new Klonoa games is possibly Namco's greatest sin.
I could never agree more with anything ever said. Klonoa, to me, has easily replaced Sonic the Hedgehog as Mario's platformer equal.... and Namco does nothing with the character. Pathetic... to the extreme.

klonoa.jpg

Who wouldn't want to see more of that?

Terrell

The Take Out Bandit said:
So will there be a PS2/PSP port?
Sure, I'm sure that PSP can handle the waggle controls... go give it a shot. And don't worry about a wrist strap, I'm sure the PSP's shiny plastic surface will allow you to keep your grip on it just fine. :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I just hope they can make the gameplay somewhat decent. I haven't been able to trust any certain product from Namco since the first few years of DC/PS2 development.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Naw, those platforms can't handle the Dreamcast level visuals in SCL.
??

PS2 certainly could, but a PSP version would require a significant downgrade (namely in the texture department).

The visuals in SCL are beyond Dreacmast level, however. The models appear to be significantly more detailed than what we were seeing on Dreamcast even in Soul Calibur itself (a 1 on 1 fighter).

nightez

Banned
You guys are all blind. This almost looks just as good a Ninja Gaiden. They got generous amounts of polys on the characters.

nightez said:
You guys are all blind. This almost looks just as good a Ninja Gaiden. They got generous amounts of polys on the characters.

Maybe the poly count is comparable, but the lighting is awful.

TheGuardian said:
Maybe the poly count is comparable, but the lighting is awful.

The lighting in Ninja Gaiden wasn't great though, and that's my biggest problem with that game from a technical and visual standpoint. Use of fake local lighting really affected it, but the smooth 60fps was a nice trade-off.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
that actually doesn't look to shabby.

stupid idea to put it next to SC4 in the magazine though :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Is it just me or does this actually look decent now?

img.php

These two shots I think are the best and really show the scope of the game a lot better. Looks like fun ... and again co-op is a big plus for me with these types of games.

KingJ2002

thanks for the scans neo... the game looks sweet... i wonder if there will be any head to head fighting in this game... maybe 4 player "powerstone ish" type battles

Linkup

DoA: XBV2 would have trouble handling the physics on those

soundwave05 said:
Yeah it has co-op play.

You can see in the shot of the Astaroth (boss battle?) the co-op play.

That's good to hear.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
??

PS2 certainly could, but a PSP version would require a significant downgrade (namely in the texture department).

The visuals in SCL are beyond Dreacmast level, however. The models appear to be significantly more detailed than what we were seeing on Dreamcast even in Soul Calibur itself (a 1 on 1 fighter).
:(

Pretend I'm anihawk, then try replying...

Night_Trekker said:
My only complaints are that the locations almost appear ripped from SC2's Weapon Master mode, and the enemies look a bit uninspired. I'm not ready to dismiss this yet, even though I have little hope it will be a great game.

Also, if this takes place between Soul Edge/Blade and Soul Calibur, why is Siegfried not under the control of the weapon Soul Edge?
Well from the costumes, it looks closer to SC in timeline than SE. Post SE, Siegfried turns to Nightmare but after some time reverts back into Siegfried upon being defeated by Kilik I think (both were playable in SC) and come SC2 he reverts back to Nightmare (Siegfried isn't playable). I'd imagine this game will cover events like Nightmare reverting to Siegfried as well as Nightmare's hunting party (made up of him, Lizard Man, Ivy, and Astaroth). And hopefully the intro of the Awesome Asian Alliance (Maxi, Xianghua, and Kilik).

While SCIV is of course the more important title, I'd say I'm pretty excited about both. I'd imagine weapon based fighting makes a better transition to motion controls since, due to it being slower, you'd need to do less actions to fight. Nightmare and Astaroth could probably work really well since their slower and long range. Not sure about Taki. The priority that Namco is giving to this game in comparison to SCIV has me worried but until more impressions come, I'll believe. Besides I love the SC universe so I'd be pleased with more insight into it.

EphemeralDream said:
Well from the costumes, it looks closer to SC in timeline than SE. Post SE, Siegfried turns to Nightmare but after some time reverts back into Siegfried upon being defeated by Kilik I think (both were playable in SC) and come SC2 he reverts back to Nightmare (Siegfried isn't playable). I'd imagine this game will cover events like Nightmare reverting to Siegfried as well as Nightmare's hunting party (made up of him, Lizard Man, Ivy, and Astaroth). And hopefully the intro of the Awesome Asian Alliance (Maxi, Xianghua, and Kilik).

While SCIV is of course the more important title, I'd say I'm pretty excited about both. I'd imagine weapon based fighting makes a better transition to motion controls since, due to it being slower, you'd need to do less actions to fight. Nightmare and Astaroth could probably work really well since their slower and long range. Not sure about Taki. The priority that Namco is giving to this game in comparison to SCIV has me worried but until more impressions come, I'll believe. Besides I love the SC universe so I'd be pleased with more insight into it.

I get the feeling SC4 isn't very far along in development. When you get a teaser trailer that's mostly art work/character renders, that more often than not is a tip off that the dev team is quite early on in the design process. Fall 2008 for SC4 I think is probable.

Hopefully Namco can rock hard with both titles whenever they do come out.

Ahhhh...Taki's nipples are as prominent as ever.

I like how Namco made Ivy's outfit even smaller to make up for SC3. Also noticed that the top half of her outfit is mesh.

Top Bottom