• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) Famitsu scan

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
John Harker said:
hmmm, so theres multiplayer. put it online, and there may just be hope. add that to a special system similar to MK Wii, and this might just prove the naysayers wrong. still, good control doesnt make up for sloppy game design. i'm still skeptical

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
doomed1 said:
hmmm, so theres multiplayer. put it online, and there may just be hope. add that to a special system similar to MK Wii, and this might just prove the naysayers wrong. still, good control doesnt make up for sloppy game design. i'm still skeptical

5 to 15 minute levels?
While co-op is fantastic, that's pretty dissapointing to hear. its mission-level based, not an open world adventure game.

NeonZ

In addition to single player play, Legends will also include multiplayer support. Players will be able to face off against one another and combat enemies cooperatively. While Okubo admits that the method of implementing the multiplayer modes is still under consideration, he expects the game to use a split screen setup in order to allow players to fully become their in-game counterparts.

Hm... Interest raised.

Now, let's just wait and see if they can make a decent battle engine and a large enough roster (well, either a large roster or a SC3-like Create a Soul).

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Are you so jaded that some scan with a couple of screen-shots is enough to make you start comlaining and make you automatically think a game is going to be bad, especially when the graphics are actually not that bad (by Wii standards).

Something that irks me slightly is thus.

When the Wii gets a port of a franchise it gets labeled a wiiport.

When the Wii gets a ground up version of a franchise it doesn't get any respect.

Logic where is it?

jarrod

Banned
Jin Okubo and Tetsuya Akatsuka have been with the series since Soul Edge fwiw. Okubo directed SC2/3 and Akasuka co-directed SC3 too... guess we can officially kill the Death by Degrees talk. :D

Threi

notag
DeadyFernGarden said:

When the Wii gets a ground up version of a franchise it doesn't get any respect.

Logic where is it?

me.jpg

It's in the ball.

Scum

DeadyFernGarden said:

Logic where is it?
Logic? Pfft! You're forgetting where you are, my friend!

neogaf_dude.gif

JDSN

Banned
So:

Producer: Jin Okubo(Director of SC II&III)
Director: Tetsuya Akatsuka (Lead Game Designer of SCIII, Game System Directors of SCII)

But yeah, lolz dead bi de3greS team haha witrds pwned.

mentalfloss said:
Unless Soul Calibur IV does something remarkably different in the series, I'd actually rather play Legends.

Yeah i co sign this, i am actually a lot more hyped for legends than the next soul calibur or even tekken for that matter.

NeonZ

DeadyFernGarden said:

Logic where is it?

The problem is that this is a spin off, rather than a main entry, and it seems to have limited development time- it's in 40% but is supposed to be finished by the end of the year (and probably limited budget too, judging from the lack of new costumes).

Deku

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I suppose we'll wait and see. If this is as good or better than Soulcalibur IV, I'll owe some apologies.

That's impossible. Granted this game is in a completely different genre. I suppose it might be a good action title.

fernoca

NeonZ said:
The problem is that this is a spin off, rather than a main entry, and it seems to have limited development time- it's in 40% but is supposed to be finished by the end of the year (and probably limited budget too, judging from the lack of new costumes).

Ehr..
You do know that the game being revealed in a "printed media" means that the build/version they played or were given info was from like 1/2 months ago...Right?
Meaning that it was 40%...back then. (Is not like they played the game last week and quickly went and wrote the preview and printed all those magazines)

And again..because some are still talking about it...
The game IS NOT being made by the Death by Degrees team.

jarrod

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
And start the Spawn: Armageddon talk.
Seems Okubo was credited on that as "special thanks: Project Calibur". Probably because POV Soft reused the SC2 Spawn model. :lol

Okubo also worked on the Tekken games (up to Tag) and Xevious 3D/G btw.

JDSN said:
So:

Director: Tetsuya Akatsuka (Lead Game Designer of SCIII, Game System Directors of SCII)

This info is about 10x more important than whether or not the game has flip flop mip-mapped floor textures or whatever.

The thing that I worry about with projects like these is companies like Namco and Sega (NiGHTS 2) who are now rushing to get more content out for the Wii are in too much of a rush and will end up releasing games without giving the dev team a full 18 month design window.

Unless development on this started in early 2006 (which I doubt), they shouldn't rush it out for Christmas 2007 just because they're now realizing the Wii has the fastest growing userbase. You gotta have a good game first if you want to take advantage of that userbase.

Can't say I'm all that interested in this spin-off, but then I don't know if I want Soulcalibur IV if it hasn't spent some time in the arcades and received a few re-visions. I'd probably take the traditional fighter over the beat 'em up.

Flakster99

Thanks for the posting the translation, I was waiting for it to pop up. :)

Co-op is a definite plus. Happy to see the game is in good hands.

Threi

notag
omg rite said:
You have absolutely nothing to suggest that it won't be.

- short dev time.
- It's not an attempt at a completely new franchise, but rather a spin-off of an existing one.

keep in mind though that this is all a maybe.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
well, one thing is for certain, the likely quality of this game has suddenly gotten better. i still dont think it can live up to not putting SC4 on the Wii, but it has the potential to be more than a cow pie.

JDSN said:
So:

Yay! good news. Maybe there's still some hope after all! :D

Krowley

From the IGN article, the kind of design they're using with the short stages sounds like the sort of thing that could be made with a shorter dev time, but it also sounds a bit shallow.

I imagine it will be something like the NG: black mission mode, except some missions will have larger stages and more enemies. The keys to this will be multiple characters and difficulty levels and replay factor.

It makes me a bit less concerned about the dev time, but more more concerened about the actual game design.

Bildi

Krowley said:
From the IGN article, the kind of design they're using with the short stages sounds like the sort of thing that could be made with a shorter dev time, but it also sounds a bit shallow.
Potentially, but it depends on the number of stages and what's in them. The short stages could be designed with replay-type of gameplay in mind rather than just play through and onto the next stage. The stages may also connect with eachother so the end of one stage and the beginning of another is a bit like a checkpoint.

I have no idea, but it's really up in the air at this time and the information thus far doesn't really offer anything concrete.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
jarrod said:
Seems Okubo was credited on that as "special thanks: Project Calibur". Probably because POV Soft reused the SC2 Spawn model. :lol

Okubo also worked on the Tekken games (up to Tag) and Xevious 3D/G btw.
jarrod always fighting the good fight in face of idiocy. "I want this game to be bad so lets make up shit! Death by Degrees team!"

jarrod

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yay! good news. Maybe there's still some hope after all! :D
Given the timetables, I wouldn't be surprised if Project Calibur was handling both this and SC4 actually. This game obviously reusses assets and it's core engine, so it's not like it's probably taking a gigantic staff , and it's due this year (while SC4 is likely end of 2008).

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
What does say the magazine says with all those kanjis and kanas? no one to translate? :(

Graphics looks ok, as expected. But I must admit that the setting is not my favorite.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JDSN said:
So:

Thanks a lot- that makes me feel a bit better about the project.

dark10x said:
It's only going to get worse. Wii games appear dated now, but imagine them in 2 years...
citrus lump said:
The wii is on par with an xbox. There isn't a whole lot of room to wiggle. We've already seen the best from that level of hardware.
God of War II, which is on an even older console than Xbox and GC, begs to differ... :D

Shaheed79 said:
jarrod always fighting the good fight in face of idiocy. "I want this game to be bad so lets make up shit! Death by Degrees team!"
People are going to keep saying it's the DbD team, anyway. Facts aren't going to get in the way of spreading FUD.

Branduil

Why are you guys comparing the graphics for a fighting game in an enclosed arena with two characters to a game in an open environment with multiple characters?

Top Bottom