• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice Delta New enemy reveal : Cinderella

joe2187

Banned
Thanks to ZeroAKA for the post in the Vita thread. and the original from Silconera

The story of Soul Sacrifice Delta aims it's sights on classical fairy tales from the Brothers Grimm.

However the SS team dont think that the original Grimm fairy tales are dark enough so they've injected their own brand of storytelling to make it more interesting. And I love it.

slide4_3.jpg

The story in the PlayStation Vita game starts the same as the fairy tale with three sisters and the two older ones going to a dance arranged by the king. The younger sister is stuck at home cleaning the house and longs to go to the ball, but there’s no Fairy Godmother in Soul Sacrifice. So, Cinderella uses a poisonous centipede to poison her oldest sister and dresses up as her.
Since this is a masked ball, Cinderella slips in without a problem. However, the prince who has a fondness for feet mistakes Cinderella for her eldest sister. When the prince tracks down the older sister (expecting Cinderella) he touches her foot and then licks his fingertips. He realizes he found the wrong woman and Cinderella is exposed. Cinderella misunderstands and flees leaving her shoes behind. While on the run, her foot gets caught in a giant rock. The prince finds Cinderella and the explanation of why the prince loves feet is revealed – he’s into foot odor, which Cinderella wasn’t aware of. Cinderella then thinks back to the centipede and fuses her body with the insect to please the prince with infinite feet.

cts6_img.jpg

slide4_2.jpg

And you can see a visage of the prince licking Cinderella’s centipede feet in these Soul Sacrifice Delta screenshots.

slide4_1.jpg

Shinta

Banned
"The prince finds Cinderella and the explanation of why the prince loves feet is revealed – he’s into foot odor, which Cinderella wasn’t aware of. Cinderella then thinks back to the centipede and fuses her body with the insect to please the prince with infinite feet."

Yep, the writing in this game is great.

icy_eagle

Might just be me, but I feel like they're trying waaaaaay too hard to make her grimdark.

Edit: also like how casually her fusion with a fucking caterpillar is described, as if it is the most mundane thing in the world.

Hexa

Soul Sacrifice: Bringing fairy tales to a whole new level of dark and creepy.
I love it.

Astarte

The prince having a foot fetish made me laugh. Being able to tell someone apart from the taste of their feet? Awwww yeah

joe2187

Banned
Might just be me, but I feel like they're trying waaaaaay too hard to make her grimdark.

where do you think the word grimdark comes from? the original uncensored Grimm fairy tales were horrible nightmares. In the original cinderella the mother forces one to cut off her toe to fit into the slipper, and the other bleeds out after her mother cuts off her heels to make her feet fit into the glass slippers.

And then cinderella gets married to the prince.

And both the step sisters eyes are plucked out and eaten by pigeons on her wedding day

softie

The stories of the creatures were always so damn weird and great in SS. It would be really cool to play their stories too. :-D

I really hope this is enough of a success that Sony commission a full sequel. I'll be getting it, unless Sony screws up my plans and gives vanilla SS away via PS+ in the mean time.

I really hope this is enough of a success that Sony commission a full sequel. I'll be getting it, unless Sony screws up my plans and gives vanilla SS away via PS+ in the mean time.

A sequel is already announced after SS Delta.

and vanilla SS is already announced free for PS+ this month...

It's outstanding.
Man, I remember first reading the Harpy story, and the entire thing where she has a hole in her stomach so she can always know the joy of eating without ever having to bear the pain of being full... god damn.

icy_eagle

where do you think the word grimdark comes from? the original uncensored Grimm fairy tales were horrible nightmares. In the original cinderella the mother forces the other two sisters to wear hot coals in her shoes to dance to her death, and the other bleeds to death after her mother cuts off her heels to make her feet fit into the glass slippers.

Fair enough, that was worded badly on my part. I feel like they're trying way too hard to make a grotesque design without any regard to making a semblense of sense. 'Fusing with a centipede'? And at what point does the prince become a part of that abomination. Admittedly, I'm only commenting on this news piece, I've only ever played a demo of Soul Sacrifice, so maybe I'm missing out on some info.

It's just so far away from the source material why even bother making the connection. I'd rather they reference the actual grimdark stuff you posted, i.e. feet cutting and hot iron shoes (which the mother is made to wear, actually)

"The prince finds Cinderella and the explanation of why the prince loves feet is revealed – he’s into foot odor, which Cinderella wasn’t aware of. Cinderella then thinks back to the centipede and fuses her body with the insect to please the prince with infinite feet."

must have been reading gaf thread about the foot fetish.

joe2187

Banned
It's outstanding.
Man, I remember first reading the Harpy story, and the entire thing where she has a hole in her stomach so she can always know the joy of eating without ever having to bear the pain of being full... god damn.

Seriously the writing in the game is very underrated, well the entire game is very underrated, the soundtrack, the presentation, the combat, everything is so well done.

Fair enough, that was worded badly on my part. I feel like they're trying way too hard to make a grotesque design without any regard to making a semblense of sense. 'Fusing with a centipede'? And at what point does the prince become a part of that abomination. Admittedly, I'm only commenting on this news piece, I've only ever played a demo of Soul Sacrifice, so maybe I'm missing out on some info.

It's just so far away from the source material why even bother making the connection. I'd rather they reference the actual grimdark stuff you posted, i.e. feet cutting and hot iron shoes (which the mother is made to wear, actually)

Yeah, I corrected the mistake I had with the story. But the explanation in the game is that there is this "Holy grail" like chalice that appears to those with very strong desires and it twists their wishes against them to create monsters, and can only be killed by wizards who take up contracts to kill monsters for money or other stuff.

ZeroAKA

Thanks all! If I buy SS now, will I be able to get the 'delta' pack as DLC?
I don't think anything has been announced yet, but I have a feeling this is going to be a standalone game only. SS Delta allows you to import original SS save files though.

A sequel is already announced after SS Delta.

and vanilla SS is already announced free for PS+ this month...

I am UK GAF, although PS+ here and over the pond often follow similar patterns, so I guess we can expect SS within the next six months or so.

Can someone please explain this 'delta' thing to me?

Is it like DD:DA, DLC or what?

Yeah, it's an expanded version of the full game getting a full retail release. Exactly like Dark Arisen. I don't know if the 'Delta' part of it will be available as DLC though, or if it's all or nothing.

mclem

Forget Cinderella, there's something much more mundane yet fascinating here...

Cinderella then thinks back to the centipede and fuses her body with the insect to please the prince with infinite feet.

Centipedes have conquered the notion of infinity?

lupinko

where do you think the word grimdark comes from? the original uncensored Grimm fairy tales were horrible nightmares. In the original cinderella the mother forces one to cut off her toe to fit into the slipper, and the other bleeds out after her mother cuts off her heels to make her feet fit into the glass slippers.

And then cinderella gets married to the prince.

And both the step sisters eyes are plucked out and eaten by pigeons on her wedding day

joe2187
shit his pants in anger when Bambi's mom died
(Today, 07:38 AM)

Top Bottom