• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sources: Trump lawyers knew of Russia emails back in June

Tovarisc

President Trump’s legal team was informed more than three weeks ago about the email chain showing that his son Donald Jr. met with a Kremlin-connected lawyer last June, two sources familiar with the handling of the matter told Yahoo News.

Trump told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday that he learned just “a couple of days ago” that his son, Donald Trump Jr, had met with the Russian lawyer, Natalia Veselnitskaya, after receiving emails that she would supply him with information that “would incriminate Hillary” and was “part of Russia and its government’s support for Mr. Trump.” That was the day after Donald Jr. released the email exchanges himself, after learning they would be published by the New York Times.
But the sources told Yahoo News that Marc Kasowitz, the president’s chief lawyer in the Russia investigation, and Alan Garten, executive vice president and chief legal officer of the Trump Organization, were both informed about the emails in the third week of June, after they were discovered by lawyers for Kushner, who is now a senior White House official.
The discovery of the emails prompted Kushner to amend his security clearance form to reflect the meeting, which he had failed to report when he originally sought clearance for his White House job. That revision — his second — to the so-called SF-86, was done on June 21. Kushner made the change even though there were questions among his lawyers whether the meeting had to be reported, given that there was no clear evidence that Veselntiskya was a government official. The change to the security form prompted the FBI to question Kushner on June 23, the second time he was interviewed by agents about his security clearance, the sources said.

But the information that Trump’s lawyers were told about the emails in June raises questions about why they would not have immediately informed the president. Trump’s campaign is under investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller into possible collusion with Russian government officials. The emails appear to be the first hard evidence of contacts between top campaign officials and someone connected to the Kremlin.
Aside from questions about the credibility of White House statements, the disclosure of the emails potentially has raised new questions about Kushner’s security clearance. He initially filed his SF-86 on Jan. 18, leaving out any mention of meetings with foreign government officials during the transition and the campaign. His lawyers have said this was inadvertent and that a member of his staff had prematurely hit the “send” button for the firm before it was completed. Within twelve hours, they have said, Kushner notified the FBI that he would make amendments and disclose his meetings with foreign officials.

This was followed by a revised security clearance submission on May 11 in which Kushner reported more than 100 meetings with officials from over 20 countries, including a meeting with the Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak and another with Sergey Gorkov, the head of Russian state-owned bank.

The revised security clearance led to Kushner’s first FBI interview about the matter in mid-May, the sources said. The bureau is now reviewing Kushner’s second amended form following the new disclosure about his meeting with the Russian lawyer. His lawyers are confident that it won’t raise any additional problems since, as they have asserted, Kushner had forgotten the meeting — he was only briefly present — and had no intent to conceal it. In the meantime, he has an interim security clearance, sources said.
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/sources-trump-lawyers-knew-russia-emails-back-june-000320831.html

Hopfrog

tumblr_mnegocrYg01qa0n48o6_250.gif

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Starting to think the President of the United is a gosh darned liar!

Strike

Just give us the pee pee tapes. If that's real, then everything is real. No one
reasonable
will be able to deny it then.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
See this is why you hire competent people instead of loyal people.
You have millions, you can afford the actual best. Instead you hire people that verbally suck your dick the best.

That Arrested Development GIF just keeps on giving.

MarionCB

June last year more like. But yeah, Easy D caught in another clear lie, now numbering in the thousands. And this:

He initially filed his SF-86 on Jan. 18, leaving out any mention of meetings with foreign government officials during the transition and the campaign. His lawyers have said this was inadvertent and that a member of his staff had prematurely hit the ”send" button for the firm before it was completed.

Is the flimsiest, most transparent bullshit excuse I have ever heard. Why then didn't they correct it immediately rather than waiting over 5 months, after he'd been caught out on the meeting? Yeah, I thought so.

So you're telling me we got incredibly incriminating evidence from Jr only missing a direct link to Trump himself, followed by Trump denying that he knew about these emails or the meeting.

And now it comes out that his lawyer knew about these at least since June and there's really not a plausible explanation why Trump himself wouldn't know from him?

These guys are really bad at this.

antonz

Trump more or less admitted on Air Force One today he knew of the meeting. Just no idea about the contents of meeting supposedly

Al-ibn Kermit

You mean the president would just like to us like that?

Listen, when you grow up and get a real job then maybe you'll see that it's not Trump's problem to know what laws he and his family and his associates may or may not have broken. That's why they get a lawyer who's obviously doing a tremendous job. The guy was on top of it so far before the FakeNews New York Times.

Trump didn't lie since he didn't know which is the correct answer to say something that's not the truth as you describe it (alt facts) since that's the lawyers responsibility to handle law stuff. These are the best lawyers by the way, absolute top of the line.

Fergie

Banned
June last year more like. But yeah, Easy D caught in another clear lie, now numbering in the thousands. And this:

Is the flimsiest, most transparent bullshit excuse I have ever heard. Why then didn't they correct it immediately rather than waiting over 5 months, after he'd been caught out on the meeting? Yeah, I thought so.
Are they even trying at this point?

Incredible.

Sessions could be in the clear since he was a Senator and can use that as an excuse.

Amending your clearance forms twice by Kushner and only after the incriminating emails are brought forth to his attention is preposterous.

Tommy DJ

See this is why you hire competent people instead of loyal people.
You have millions, you can afford the actual best. Instead you hire people that verbally suck your dick the best.

That Arrested Development GIF just keeps on giving.

He can't hire the best because its an awful client who doesn't pay his bills.

Horns

His lies are lies about lies. Trump will eventually tell the truth but we're going to assume it's a lie.

Trouble

Banned
This is really starting to sound like Kushner is throwing Jr under the bus

Lawrence O'Donnell pointed out last night that one of the the things Jared's father went to jail over was an attempt to fuck over his own brother in law. Fucking guy sent a prostitute to his brother in law, taped it, and then sent the tape to his own sister.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
He can't hire the best because its an awful client who doesn't pay his bills.

Ah right, can't forget his bad habit of stiffing the bill.
I recall the article about lawyers all over the country refusing to defend him

So you're telling me we got incredibly incriminating evidence from Jr only missing a direct link to Trump himself, followed by Trump denying that he knew about these emails or the meeting.

And now it comes out that his lawyer knew about these at least since June and there's really not a plausible explanation why Trump himself wouldn't know from him?

These guys are really bad at this.

Trump did know about the meeting. He promised an oppo droppo on Clinton (for the next week) the same day Jr. set up the meeting with the Russian lawyer. Trump is guilty.

RDreamer

His lawyers have said this was inadvertent and that a member of his staff had prematurely hit the “send” button for the firm before it was completed.

Really hope this member of his staff is loyal enough to stick by that story when they're questioned by the FBI, lmao

There should be a Clue-like boardgame, but instead of a murderer, you have to figure out who in the Trump inner circle is leaking to the press.

bengraven

Well...well....Obummer lied all the time. He destroyed America.

In fact I think it's GREAT that our president is sooo devoted to his family, that he will lie for his son. Makes me tear up with pride.

Da. Thank god for him, comrade.

CrisKre

Trump not knowing about this meeting (and of course others) flies so patently contrary in the face of common sense I doubt is even worth discussing TBH. That the top 3 people in his campaign could have this meeting and the boss not be told is just unfothomable. Furthermore, they are trying to say that, even if they didn´t tell him then, when the story on Russia started gaining traction these people didn´t think it important to mention the President this took place? Really?

The kicker is that, sure, there is the POSSIBILITY they didn´t tell him. But the PROBABILITY that he didn´t know? slim to none.

The POSSIBILITY exists that they kept it away to protect him I guess, but given how cluless of the implications the participating parties seem to have been by what we know, yeah, the probability of it is almost non existent.

Still, the lies keep piling up and they are being more and more surrounded and enclosed by them in every direction. Its fascinating to watch.

This palace intrigue exhausts me.

Remember, though, that unlike the Trumps, Kushner has retained very competent counsel, former Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick. (Coincidentally, she works at Mueller's law firm.) I've no clue why he's acted the way he has recently, but all of these actions that appear to put him in a deeper hole have been at the direction of his lawyers. Lawyers represent only their clients' interests. If getting him off requires screwing someone else, Gorelick would be in dereliction of duty not to do it.

Why isn't the PotUS being held accountable right now for this? He should give a public announcement tomorrow on this.

Because bringing formal charges against the Executive Branch takes time and if not done carefully the odds of successful indictment, let alone conviction, will fall apart on simple procedural technicalities.

Kushner in prison, guys like him are used as currency in prison.

Once they knock all his teeth out and shave his butt, that'll be a prime piece of real estate. And Kushner knows all about prime real estate.

Who are we kidding he's off to country club prison isn't he?

Top Bottom