• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korean Adopted At Age 3 Is To Be Deported Nearly 40 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

South Korean Adopted At Age 3 Is To Be Deported Nearly 40 Years Later

ap_163007763431401_Adam_Crapser_wide-aff0ff8b56347c01f60779a2b975da892b0ae4c2-s800-c85.jpg

Adam Crapser was brought to the United States when he was 3, to start a new life — new parents, new culture, new country.

But his adoptive parents didn't complete his citizenship papers. Then they abandoned him to the foster care system.

And now, as a 41-year-old father of four, he's being deported. Despite his appeals for help, he has been ordered to be sent back to South Korea, a country The Associated Press describes as "completely alien to him."

His predicament is the result of parental failings, a criminal past and acts of Congress.

First, his adoptive parents never obtained citizenship for him.

"They promised that they would take care of these things, and it never happened," he told NPR in 2015.

He's not alone in that: One Korean-American advocacy group estimates some 35,000 people in the U.S. were adopted from abroad and don't have U.S. citizenship, the AP reports.

Then, after an abusive childhood, Crapser served jail time for crimes including burglary and assault.

The New York Times Magazine took an in-depth look at Crapser's story last year. The report explained what happened to Crapser and his sister after they were brought to the U.S.:

"The first family that adopted Crapser and his sister fought viciously and punished the children frequently; Crapser remembers being whipped and forced to sit in a dark basement. After six years, the couple decided they no longer wanted the children they had adopted and the siblings were split up. Crapser bounced between foster homes and a boys' home before landing with a family in Oregon.
"His new parents, Thomas and Dolly Crapser, had a house full of foster and adopted children, as many as ten at a time. Their punishments, too, were frequent and even more brutal than his first adoptive parents'. Dolly, Crapser says, slammed the children's heads against door frames and once hit him in the back of the head with a two-by-four after he woke her up from a nap. Thomas duct-taped the children's mouths shut, Crapser says. He also burned Crapser's hands and once broke his nose when Crapser couldn't find Thomas's car keys."

Adam Crapser's criminal record began after he was kicked out of the Crapsers' house. He broke back in — to try to steal back his possessions, including shoes and a Bible, he says — and was convicted of burglary. After serving time and being released, he racked up several other criminal offenses, including assault.

The Times says Crapser later turned his life around, spending stints as a barbershop owner and in the insurance industry. He married and had several children; more recently, he was a stay-at-home father. But, the Times says, it was hard for him to hold a job without citizenship.

Here's where Congress comes in.

As Alexandra Starr reported for NPR last year, a law was passed in 2000 to grant automatic citizenship to children adopted by U.S. parents. But the law "only covered future adoptees and those 18 or younger," Starr reported. "One of the people who didn't make the age cut-off was Adam Crapser."

So Crapser had to apply for a Green Card to start down the path toward citizenship. When he did, his criminal convictions bumped up against a second law.

Starr explained that in 1996, "Congress vastly expanded the list of offenses that could result in deportation from the United States." Then, after the attacks on Sept 11, 2001, the government "started enforcing immigration law more zealously."

Federal authorities who received Crapser's Green Card application realized he was deportable because of his criminal convictions, the AP reports.

I mean...come on. The guy has lived here for 40 years. He's a citizen.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You'd figure is a child gets adopted then abandoned to foster care they could just get citizenship easily somehow.

"In an email, Walls said Adam was eligible for a deportation reprieve called 'cancellation of removal,' but the 'judge decided he did not deserve this relief.'

" 'He will be deported as soon as Immigration and Customs Enforcement makes the necessary arrangements,' Walls said. 'Adam, his family, and advocates are heartbroken at the outcome.'

That criminal record, I guess.

Stories like this always annoy me, like the OP said, after 40 years hes a fucking citizen. Now you want to send him back to a country where he (maybe) does not know the language, culture, and more just because of some bullshit rule that clearly should be an exception to people like him.

Sadly hear about these things every now and then, and rarely the followup.

nataku

And remember folks, even people in GAF think getting a citizenship is easy peasy.

My family does. I have an aunt who works for immigration and she's constantly complaining about how she's just letting people in like crazy"because of Obama".

Absolutely terrible. We'be had a similar situation with two Korean people here in Aus recently. Here for over 10 years with their parents and don't know anything about South Korea.

this happens too often
I fear this shit myself not sure how I would survive

You're not a citizen of your country?

ChuChu

very sad how the criminal justice system in the us continues to punish people long after they serve their sentence

I thought if you had kids in the US then you get to stay as well? Im Australian, so im not 100% sure.. but if he has had 4 kids in the US.. that are US citizens by birth.. surely that's enough to get him a citizenship.

IISANDERII

This is a failure of the American people. Failure for not rising up against an oppressive government a long time ago for a million things like this.

n0razi

I think any illegal immigrant who's been here for 40 years should automatically get a pass. Just cut your losses since sending them back is only wasting more time and resources.

Absolutely terrible. We'be had a similar situation with two Korean people here in Aus recently. Here for over 10 years with their parents and don't know anything about South Korea.

You're not a citizen of your country?
I was not born in the US so things like these give me pause to think of what could go wrong

this dude is being deported to South Korea

in my case I would be facing going back to Haiti

a huge difference

darkwing

I thought if you had kids in the US then you get to stay as well? Im Australian, so im not 100% sure.. but if he has had 4 kids in the US.. that are US citizens by birth.. surely that's enough to get him a citizenship.

I think his children has to be old enough to petition him?

RS4-

Fucked up system and the fucking scum that destroyed his childhood and those of many others.

Holy christ.

Geist-

This guy may have the saddest life imaginable. The fact that this isn't even something rare is a crime against humanity. Splitting up families because of technicalities, seriously, fuck our immigration system.

What the hell kind of person goes through all the trouble to adopt a baby from overseas only to neglect him?
America is #1 country when it comes to going overseas to adop babies for whatever the fuck reason. I guess Russia banning Americans from adopting babies in Russia was a great decision for them in a hindsight.

Broank

What the hell @ the parents. Don't punish him after his adopters throw him into foster care not even bothering to do the papers. Track them down if they can for fucking up so bad.

t26

South Korea has mandatory 2 years of military service for all men if I remember correctly, so if he gets sent back as a Korean citizen he probably would have to catch up on that.

Only for male 18-35 so he would not have to serve.

Chojin

I have an in law who ran into this. When his folks immigrated to the States from the Philippines he was a year old. They failed to obtain citizenship for him. 27 years later in 2010 he got deported to the Philippines. His wife is an American but apparently didn't count for him to get a visa. He ended up in a country where he doesn't know the language. Vaguely knows the culture. Thankfully a year later Canada took him in on a work visa and they've been happy since.

South Korea has mandatory 2 years of military service for all men if I remember correctly, so if he gets sent back as a Korean citizen he probably would have to catch up on that.

He's past the age, hes ok on that front. He can still volunteer for training though... but who would/does?

I was not born in the US so things like these give me pause to think of what could go wrong

this dude is being deported to South Korea

in my case I would be facing going back to Haiti

a huge difference

Oh okay, yeah that's quite the difference. Hope nothing ever happens man, can't imagine anything scarier.

numble

They would still evaluate the criminal record of the person being petitioned.

RoKKeR

Wow, this is ridiculous. My family just went through two international adoptions and both of the kids became citizens when they stepped off the plane in the US, had no idea that law was only passed in 2000. Should have applied retroactively, this dude is a citizen...

Oh, and those parents who adopted him are despicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom