• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Korean Adopted At Age 3 Is To Be Deported Nearly 40 Years Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

Wow, this is ridiculous. My family just went through two international adoptions and both of the kids became citizens when they stepped off the plane in the US, had no idea that law was only passed in 2000. Should have applied retroactively, this dude is a citizen...

The guy should have applied for citizenship a long time ago. This really is a bizarre situation because at the very least he would have needed a social security card to work and in all likelihood obtaining an ID post 9/11.

numble

The guy should have applied for citizenship a long time ago. This really is a bizarre situation because at the very least he would have needed a social security card to work and in all likelihood obtaining an ID post 9/11.

You don't need to be a citizen to get a SSN or an ID.

Kill3r7

I did not say you do. My point was that in order to obtain a SSN and employment authorization one needs to start their naturalization/citizenship process. The guy is 43, hard to believe he has been waiting for a GC this entire time.

FyreWulff

You can get an EIN to work, the IRS does not care if you are legal or not, they want their money.

numble

I did not say you do. My point was that in order to obtain a SSN and employment authorization one needs to start their naturalization/citizenship process. The guy is 43, hard to believe he has been waiting for a GC this entire time.
Not true. Prior to the 2000 law, adoptees are just guaranteed permanent resident status, which can be revoked. Permanent residents can stay PRs as long as they want, and have SSNs and work authorization. He probably was applying for a replacement card.

Kill3r7

Not true. Prior to the 2000 law, adoptees are just guaranteed permanent resident status, which can be revoked. Permanent residents can stay PRs as long as they want, and have SSNs and work authorization. He probably was applying for a replacement card.

Thanks, I was not aware of that fact and assumed that his adoptive parents never did any of the paper work, but if he was granted Permanent Resident status then he would have been eligible to apply for naturalization at the age of 8. Let's assume his foster parents opted not to do that, he still should have been able to do so when he reached the age of 18. Why would he opt not to do that? Especially if he has been renewing his green card every 10 years. Something just doesn't add up.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Nobody has anything at all to gain from this. Its simply ruining a life for no reason.

It seems to be a documented fact that the system is full of people who are bitter, cynical, and burned out to the point they mindlessly rubber stamp victims of the system along on their way towards doom. There are judges who speed through young children without lawyers to be deported rather than stop and demand someone investigate what is going on because it's clearly absurd a 5 year old is standing in a court alone.

Problem is the "system" is a mindless machine that allows people within it to abdicate their personal responsibility to ethics and reason, and simply be cogs. So when the system is awful, and full of bad laws, human beings are ground up and spit out with nothing to stop it.

entremet

Kinda nuts the judge didn't take his kids into consideration.

Separating a father from his four kids sounds emotionally brutal.

Mr-Joker

Banned
"But his adoptive parents didn't complete his citizenship papers. Then they abandoned him to the foster care system."

Holy fuck those people are down right awful and not fit to be a parents, they screwed his life over.

Hope the guy can appeal as he's turned his life around has kids and has been living in the US since he was 3 years old.

Why the hell is it the child's responsibility if his adoptive parents don't complete the paperwork for citizenship?

If there are any records of him being adopted, that should be enough to exonerate him.

JayB1920

This is terrible. Why aren't internationally adopted children automatically granted citizenship or automatically put on a path toward it?

Saganator

How does one foster household end up with 10 foster children? This man has been failed by people and by the law. So sad. I hope he can find a way to stay :/

LakeEarth

I have a friend who lived in the US from 6 to 20 years old, and got deported to Pakistan because his parents didn't know to complete some form. The only reason he got on their radar was because him and his friends decided to run through some professional baseball field and got caught, thus giving him a trespassing charge on his criminal record. He was in the middle of medical school and everything.

In the end, he got permission to complete his studies in Canada, but it delayed his entire life by a full year.

Thanks, I was not aware of that fact and assumed that his adoptive parents never did any of the paper work, but if he was granted Permanent Resident status then he would have been eligible to apply for naturalization at the age of 8. Let's assume his foster parents opted not to do that, he still should have been able to do so when he reached the age of 18. Why would he opt not to do that? Especially if he has been renewing his green card every 10 years. Something just doesn't add up.

Something is very fishy about this. Also, the man served time for assault, a serious offence. Screwed up childhood or not, he did some bad things and the consequences have come back to bite him in the ass. Sucks for his family but I'm not going to fault the system for deporting a guy with violent criminal record.

Leunam

Something is very fishy about this. Also, the man served time for assault, a serious offence. Screwed up childhood or not, he did some bad things and the consequences have come back to bite him in the ass. Sucks for his family but I'm not going to fault the system for deporting a guy with violent criminal record.

The consequences of his criminal past were the time that he has already served. And now that he's past it you punish him further by putting him in a country completely foreign to him which he has no connection to? This is absurd.

Wait seriously? Because even getting a SS card replacement requires a birth certificate, at least it did for me here in FL which was a complete PITA to get since I wasn't born in the US.

On related note...how easy is it to get the Canadian equivalents?

The consequences of his criminal past were the time that he has already served. And now that he's past it you punish him further by putting him in a country completely foreign to him which he has no connection to? This is absurd.

America's justice system has always been about life long punishment even after you've served your time unfortunately, ESPECIALLY if you're a person of color and lower class.

StayDead

Not only has he served his time, but he also had a terrible upbringing which probably helped lead to him committing the crime in the first place.

This is an awful story.

Culex

Banned
Wait seriously? Because even getting a SS card replacement requires a birth certificate, at least it did for me here in FL which was a complete PITA to get since I wasn't born in the US.

On related note...how easy is it to get the Canadian equivalents?

America's justice system has always been about life long punishment even after you've served your time unfortunately, ESPECIALLY if you're a person of color and lower class.

You can have a SSN or ITIN without being a citizen.

CDX

I'm assuming he had, or used to have a valid green card. So he at least used to be a legal permanent resident.

Why didn't he apply for citizenship himself sometime after he turned 18? Yeah, it's messed up his parents didn't do it for him when he was a minor. But why didn't he do it himself after he became an adult?

When he was a teenager trying to get his stuff back, did that burglary charge forever eliminate him from being granted citizenship? So he was doomed with a criminal record before he was an adult and could apply for citizenship himself?

Because otherwise I really don't understand why he wouldn't have gotten citizenship as soon as he could when he was an adult, if he was eligible.

Kill3r7

You can have a SSN or ITIN without being a citizen.

Ah that's dope.

Obtaining an ITIN is pretty straight forward. No so much so for SSN.

ITIN

SSN

his wife unfortunately isn't a citizen either.

Even if she was a US citizen, he could still be deported. Obviously the kids are US citizens. https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/af...bilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

As a permanent resident, you are:
  • Required to obey all laws of the United States the states, and localities
  • Required to file your income tax returns and report your income to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities
  • Expected to support the democratic form of government and not to change the government through illegal means
  • Required, if you are a male age 18 through 25, to register with the Selective Service

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I didn't mean to make the extra post, just was so enraged by what I saw. Missed this one in the election buildup.

I hope Obama will step in here. There is no reason why this guy should be deported just because his abusive shitstains of adoptive parents couldn't be assed to file the correct paperwork.

mhayes86

The same thing is going on with the relative of my wife's co-worker. Apparently her co-worker's cousin immigrated into the US when he was 3, and has a wife and kids here.

He never renewed his green card, and then I forget what got him involved with the law. He's being deported to Guatemala, which is completely alien to him since he hasn't been there since he was 3, and has no family or friends there. It's incredibly depressing.

So here's "a violent criminal" for a 20 year old assault and that's ignoring his adopted parents were convicted of mistreatment and assault. Like there's literally nothing to gain, you're just literally being an asshole to him because you technically can.

So here's "a violent criminal" for a 20 year old assault and that's ignoring his adopted parents were convicted of mistreatment and assault. Like there's literally nothing to gain, you're just literally being an asshole to him because you technically can.

That's how the system works, it has no empathy for treating each case individually.

Dmented

Banned
Funny thing is, in reality, he's being treated exactly like any other normal American citizen. There are no second chances for criminals here. If you have a record, you'll be treated like absolute dog shit. And that's exactly what's going on here. The true American (tm) way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom