• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Review Thread

All the reviews that i read seems to point out that the combat system and the gameplay in general is way better than stick of truth,i love Obsidian but they certainly weren't the main reason why the first game was so good.

I disagree,while lord of the rings episode is a masterpiece i think the superheroes trilogy is way better than the GOT one, Captain Hindsight,Mintberry Crunch,Cartman being best friend with cthulu,we learn why kenny can't die etc.. ,so many great momentes in those episodes.

I don't agree tbh. The mintberry crunch stuff was really cringy and it dragged a lot.

Stiler

All the reviews that i read seems to point out that the combat system and the gameplay in general is way better than stick of truth,i love Obsidian but they certainly weren't the main reason why the first game was so good.

I disagree,while lord of the rings episode is a masterpiece i think the superheroes trilogy is way better than the GOT one, Captain Hindsight,Mintberry Crunch,Cartman being best friend with cthulu,we learn why kenny can't die etc.. ,so many great momentes in those episodes.

I have to disagree about Obsidian. There have been numerous south park games before and they all sucked. Trey/Matt both knew they needed a game that was both fun to play and had their hand in the storytelling/characters.

Without obsidian it wouldn't have been as fun to play,and without Trey/Matt it wouldn't have been as funny/engaging, take either half away and we wouldn't have had a good game.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm Black so saw no problem with how the the fish was portrayed, how else would you do it?

You might want to play that sequence again, because Kanye's mom in the game being a absurdly racist caricature in no way helps any of the jokes on that sequence, it's not part of any punchlines, there is no point that caricature is trying to make.
It's literally just racist ass imagery with no point.

You thought SoT gameplay was fun? It was serviceable as a poor man's paper Mario but took a back seat to story/humor. This game (based on vids, I haven't played) looks to have better gameplay than SoT but I guess I will find out tomorrow!

Poor man's Paper Mario yet it was the best Paper Mario game in over 10 years LOL

RPGam3r

Nice reviews, just picked up my copy but can't start till the XBOX gets here.

I'm kinda always amazed at South Park still gets to people after all these years. When people say stuff like they found something in particular offensive, I can't help but wonder if Matt and Trey are reading it and nodding like they got their job done.

Because it isn't a critics obligation to be a fanboy of something before passing judgement? I haven't been a huge fan of Polygon's reviews in the past but I find it particularly silly that people are trying to shield SOUTH PARK, something that gets it's laughs from criticism of pop culture from criticism itself.

Almost every South Park POV:
iL6vHx5.jpg
Oh man, this needs to be in the OT. The picture at the very least

LOL

joecanada

Why can't Kenny die? Im up to date on the show and barely remember any of this stuff

N° 2048

I was practically raised on Richard Pryor, Redd Foxx, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy and Lennie Bruce so maybe my taste in comedy is a little different then yours.

You're trying but people won't understand.

Just do what a lot of us did and go to the OT. People who actually enjoy the game/series are there :)

Game is amazing so far.

border

Is it still possible to pick s female, trans, or non-binary character? Didn’t notice that option during character creation

Ooccoo

Is it still possible to pick s female, trans, or non-binary character? Didn’t notice that option during character creation

There's a mission where Mr Mackey asks for your gender and sexuality

I ended up with pansexual something

Disappointing, it sounds like a step back on most fronts.

I guess you haven't been reading the reviews? Because that's not at all the case.

Most are saying the game has more depth, richer mechanics, and is longer. Some are saying that the plot is worse than the first game, and the game doesn't differentiate itself much from The Stick of Truth.

border

How do I get back to Mr Mackey the second time? His office is blocked by electrified water. The game says I can use Time Stop to get past it, but I can’t open the door. When time stop ends it just warps me back to the other side of the water.

thegh0sts

Neo Member
For some reason I can't add an artifact during the tutorial. Kinda bummed cos it was starting to get interesting and funny.

How do I get back to Mr Mackey the second time? His office is blocked by electrified water. The game says I can use Time Stop to get past it, but I can’t open the door. When time stop ends it just warps me back to the other side of the water.

Time stop and then turn off the power.

Bersi

There’s a switch that appears to be unreachable....- 6th grader is standing in front of it. I don’t get any button prompts when walking on the opposite side of the water.
If i remember it right you need to knock down the 6th grader with the snap n pops.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Finally got around to this one, loved it.. I don't know if I'd call it a "great" game but it's damn near perfect. It's like the kind of movie that wins 'Best Editing' and 'Best Sound Effects', the game design, the attention to detail, the art work, the writing, combat system.. and I haven't played something in years where the rhythm and pacing are so good - not the narrative or the big set piece battles, but everything from the duration of animations to the menu system to the arcade toilets, the puzzles, the placement of secrets/collectibles - I thought it was all perfectly tuned and timed

If they do another sequel (the second game came out of nowhere with no chatter or hype), the one thing I wish they'd add, at about the same level of system depth, is a base/fort building system

Arkam

Finally got around to this one, loved it.. I don't know if I'd call it a "great" game but it's damn near perfect. It's like the kind of movie that wins 'Best Editing' and 'Best Sound Effects', the game design, the attention to detail, the art work, the writing, combat system.. and I haven't played something in years where the rhythm and pacing are so good - not the narrative or the big set piece battles, but everything from the duration of animations to the menu system to the arcade toilets, the puzzles, the placement of secrets/collectibles - I thought it was all perfectly tuned and timed

If they do another sequel (the second game came out of nowhere with no chatter or hype), the one thing I wish they'd add, at about the same level of system depth, is a base/fort building system

It was pretty sweet. Much improved over Stick of truth. I really didnt want to like Factured Buttwhole more (cuz its based on the cringy MCU vs GOT/LOTR) but damn if it isnt better in every way. The combat is worlds better and actually fun and strategic once you get the hang of it. ANd gone are those annoying Analog stick fart moves that worked correctly maybe half the time but were integral to story progression. And come on, who cant laugh at Jared trying to fuck you to death with a $5 footlong?

Last edited:
This game is buried so deep in my backlog it's struggling to see daylight. I did enjoy Stick of Truth, somehow I was convinced that the sequel messed its formula. This was a good necrobump, it also resurrected my interest in the game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I played through this in December and January, had a lot of fun. Combat system is better than the one in the first game and it's really funny.

abcdrstuv

Banned
It was pretty sweet. Much improved over Stick of truth. I really didnt want to like Factured Buttwhole more (cuz its based on the cringy MCU vs GOT/LOTR) but damn if it isnt better in every way. The combat is worlds better and actually fun and strategic once you get the hang of it. ANd gone are those annoying Analog stick fart moves that worked correctly maybe half the time but were integral to story progression. And come on, who cant laugh at Jared trying to fuck you to death with a $5 footlong?

Yeah, I figured the mood here would be negative about the Marvel jokes.. I thought it was more about how absurd, amateurish and inventive children's imaginations can be than it was any kind of parody of Marvel, it worked on that level..

It was a great game and combat system, and the jokes and art are as good or better than most episodes, or a feature movie.. it's a weird mix, because I'm in no way proclaiming it like, the greatest video game of all time, or even top ten, but I do think it's a master class in game design and attention to detail

What would you all want if they made a third? Science fiction seems like the next logical step.. Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, whatever

Arkam

Yeah, I figured the mood here would be negative about the Marvel jokes.. I thought it was more about how absurd, amateurish and inventive children's imaginations can be than it was any kind of parody of Marvel, it worked on that level..

It was a great game and combat system, and the jokes and art are as good or better than most episodes, or a feature movie.. it's a weird mix, because I'm in no way proclaiming it like, the greatest video game of all time, or even top ten, but I do think it's a master class in game design and attention to detail

What would you all want if they made a third? Science fiction seems like the next logical step.. Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who, whatever

Good question! Maybe make it Zombie Apocalypse with Walking Dead, NIght/Dawn of the Dead but based on the COID-19 pandemic (from a kids perspective). The kids dont understand why they must stay at home and why all the adults are freaking out and hoarding (Toilet paper as a collectable). So the kids meet and decide they are living in a real Zombie Apocalypse.

Plus with everyone wearing masks there can be some Ninja/ISIS schtick too.

Top Bottom