• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: The Fractured but Whole - Review Thread

Terrorblot

You mean the point where people with no interest in a game decide to enter it's review thread to shit on it and its fans?

Me too!

It's a review thread, not an OT. If the topic isn't about game critique than what even is the point? An excuse to make another topic before the OT?

Because it isn't a critics obligation to be a fanboy of something before passing judgement? I haven't been a huge fan of Polygon's reviews in the past but I find it particularly silly that people are trying to shield SOUTH PARK, something that gets it's laughs from criticism of pop culture from criticism itself.

Almost every South Park POV:
iL6vHx5.jpg
I'm not trying to 'shield' anything, nor do I want or need someone to be a 'fanboy' of something to review it. I just don't get the purpose of a review from someone who already has a dislike of the IP the game is based on, especially when the game ends up emulating the content of the show pretty specifically. It's predictable and of little value.

Unless Polygon's staff is completely devoid of varied tastes and interests, picking someone who admittedly doesn't enjoy the product they are reviewing is an odd choice. I wouldn't make that post if the reviewer was a lone voice of an outlet like Jim Sterling or ACG as it would be unavoidable.

Cute picture, no clue what it has to do with me or my post though.

Lylo

Judging by the reviews, the game seems to be close enough to the first one, which i really liked , so i can't wait to play it myself.

Also i don't have problems with criticism toward the show or even the game, but let's be fair, if the game is any close to the first game, basically 90% of its humour is based on references of the TV show, so if you don't like the show, you'll won't enjoy the game.

If anybody watches South Park religiously or even from time to time, but don't enjoy any character, joke, reference, commentary or satire, i don't know why the hell are you torturing yourself by watching the show.

Bog

Junior Ace
Hmmm, “loaded with toilet humor”.

I dunno, I’ve become a little less squeamish about really gross poop humor over the years, but the Mr. Slave’s ass stuff in the first game had me feeling really nauseous. That was a bit much for me.

Wonder how this compares?

Is this a joke? Video game toilet humor made you sick?

Kevinroc

Watchmojo review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67T83GrTqt4

There are essentially two parts to the experience. And your enjoyment will hinge upon you appreciating both. On the one hand is an entire season's worth of genuinely hilarious South Park content. And on the other is an RPG that's just deep and fun enough to keep you invested and pushing forward. You're gonna have to be a fan of both to get the most out of it, but thankfully I know there's a lot of us out there.

My biggest problem with it so far is that I am just not finding it funny in any way. And I really enjoyed the craziness of the humor in Stick of Truth. I am hoping it picks up as it goes but thus far it's just excessive fart jokes.

It's really unfunny so far. I loved Stick of Truth, but the first 3 hours of this one are kinda dull and bland. It does capture the "kids playing superheroes" vibe well, but the humour sucks so far. I did chuckle at the kids yelling "car!" during combat and moving out of the street.

A 7/10 is absolutely respectable for this game. Why wouldn't it be? It is a bit eye-rolling though when a review goes out its way to make part of it an almost "I'm your parent and this is how you should grow up/mature/think about what you're laughing at". People know what to expect from South Park, it's stayed consistent since it first started with lampooning everything, and sometimes spending more time going after something if it ends up having the most outcries attached to it. PC Principal is a popular character because even today people still lose their shit any time he appears (a little bit of irony considering he turned out a good guy and you can tell who actually watches SP).

There's a funny Giantbomb video streaming the trailer live and because PC Principal appears it's like a bunch of middle aged men all doing their best job of frowning face and tut tutting. I genuinely think some people try too hard to put on their most sterile and sternest face around SP, instead of just relaxing and chilling out. Take it less seriously. Don't go looking for diamonds in amongst a pile of shit. South Park has always been trashy late night comedy, where you're supposed to turn your brain off and escape the depressing reality of real life. Everyone needs to take life less seriously every now and then and there is a reason adults, yes, not teenagers, adults, can still enjoy SP. Sometimes holding onto a bit of your youth inside of you helps you be a well rounded adult. Instead of just being a sour faced old dude constantly saying "kids these days laughing at things I find offensive".

I'd argue kids these days are watching more stuff like Steven Universe and Bob's Burgers than South Park. South Park is a product of our time that will keep going but not hold the cultural phenomena weight that it used to have.

Polygon said:
The Fractured But Whole’s breezy combat and puzzles provided a few days of entertainment, and the best moments of the game had me either laughing or, against all expectations, emotionally touched. I don’t particularly regret my time with the game, but it mostly made me think about how much better the creators of both South Park and The Fractured But Whole could do if they were given the opportunity and space to grow up a little.

lol

never change, Polygon

Terrorblot

I'm not trying to 'shield' anything, nor do I want or need someone to be a 'fanboy' of something to review it. I just don't get the purpose of a review from someone who already has a dislike of the IP the game is based on, especially when the game ends up emulating the content of the show pretty specifically. It's predictable and of little value.

Unless Polygon's staff is completely devoid of varied tastes and interests, picking someone who admittedly doesn't enjoy the product they are reviewing is an odd choice. I wouldn't make that post if the reviewer was a lone voice of an outlet like Jim Sterling or ACG as it would be unavoidable.

You could just as easily argue that someone who is an invested fan of the television series has the opposite bias, the game is based upon the show, and that opens up the entire thing to critique. An outlet should pick whoever they feel has the strongest or most compelling voice to them on a game, it isn't their job to pay tribute it's to critique.

Is this somehow a valid critique of the game? I didn't even know 5 year olds could have neogaf accounts.

The only childish thing I see in this thread is resorting to personal attacks and name calling. Grow up.

Audioboxer

I'd argue kids these days are watching more stuff like Steven Universe and Bob's Burgers than South Park. South Park is a product of our time that will keep going but not hold the cultural phenomena weight that it used to have.

Good point. It maybe is just all the old timers, aka us man boys, who still tune in :p

SP viewing numbers aren't exactly massive these days. The show probably costs hardly anything to make mind you.

You could just as easily argue that someone who is an invested fan of the television series has the opposite bias, the game is based upon the show, and that opens up the entire thing to critique. An outlet should pick whoever they feel has the strongest or most compelling voice to them on a game, it isn't their job to pay tribute it's to critique.

The only childish thing I see in this thread is resorting to personal attacks and name calling. Grow up.

Clearly I haven't grown up since I watch South Park and find it humorous...

If you are the one who actually created that drawing and not some 5 year old as it appears, then I guess you should be offended.

you should pick some one who is fair and balanced. The least bias either way.

Like if I was a reviewer you wouldn't have me review NHL series and Madden, as I'd score madden terribly by default and NHL I would be more willing to be lenient towards.

Stop putting words in my mouth or assuming things about me to make your point for you. I don't need 'fanboys' to review this game. Of everything posted in this thread the review/take I'm most interested in is Patrick Klepek's and going by his tweet, he isn't even enjoying it. He liked the first game and isn't enjoying this one. That experience is far more compelling to ingest than 'I don't like these characters or type of humor to begin with here's my take after 10 hours with those characters and humor'.

If you think the 'strongest or most compelling voice' on a review of a game based on existing IP is someone who dislikes the thing it is based on, more power to you, but don't try to use me feeling the opposite way to paint me as some fanboy (when it comes to South Park I'm a several years lapsed fan at best) who only wants positive reviews or people who preemptively love the thing they are reviewing because you couldn't be more wrong.

jryeje29

Super excited my copy should be here tomorrow from best buy. South park is one of the best fictional worlds in entertainment.

Stuart444

Watched the Easy Allies one.

The first few hours are slow which I can believe based on the footage that was available in the last few weeks or so showing tutorial stuff spread out over a few hours or something. As long as the game picks up, I'm okay with that. I like SP humour and I like that we get to play the Superhero stuff (I liked the GoT style stuff from Stick of Truth as well but I'm happy this is different) and the gameplay looks awesome.

Looking forward to playing this :D.

I do wish we could one day get a South Park game done without gimmicks (Superhero, GoT costumes, etc) or maybe one that switches between normal stuff where the characters are out of their costumes and when they put on their costumes (maybe even switch between using both the Coon & Co costumes and the GoT costumes at times) throughout the game.

Don't know if it would work well but it's just a thought and the latter would give it variety as well.

regardless, looking forward to this, just gotta decide what type I want my character to be, strength, magic, fast guy, hmm.

Terrorblot

Stop putting words in my mouth or assuming things about me to make your point for you. I don't need 'fanboys' to review this game. Of everything posted in this thread the review/take I'm most interested in is Patrick Klepek's and going by his tweet, he isn't even enjoying it. He liked the first game and isn't enjoying this one. That experience is far more compelling to ingest than 'I don't like these characters or type of humor to begin with here's my take after 10 hours with those characters and humor'.

If you think the 'strongest or most compelling voice' on a review of a game based on existing IP is someone who dislikes the thing it is based on, more power to you, but don't try to use me feeling the opposite way to paint me as some fanboy (when it comes to South Park I'm a several years lapsed fan at best) who only wants positive reviews or people who preemptively love the thing they are reviewing because you couldn't be more wrong.

I don't believe an outlet's sole obligation is to critique solely based on it's emulation or adaptation of it's source material. If the reviewer wasn't won over I don't expect them to put their feelings on the subject matter away or pass the review to someone who enjoyed the previous game, I expect them to do make an adequate argument for why the game falls flat for them. I think Polygon journalists are pretty far from editorial geniuses but this kind of critique is valid and deserves to be a part of the broader discussion of the game.

sjay1994

A fucking 80 is mixed now!? You realize the difference between 80 and 85 doesn't mean that much? This fucking site sometimes...

We've hit a point where 85 is the threshold of "good".

I fucking hate numbered reviews and metacritic, because games get dumped on by people unless it hits a certain number.

Floody

Probably better to ask in the OT, but is this censored like Stick of Truth was in the EU? Will have to see about importing it if so.
Game kinda sneaked up on me, so haven't been following it.

Edit: Thanks!

2017 kind of struggles for me in the end run now, with sequels like Metroid Returns and Evil Within being disappointing. So I hope this doesn't feel as much weaker as the first game as the reviews suggest. Having the same world map hopefully doesn't drag my experience down, but I guess they couldn't really solve that issue in a way that makes sense (other than going away from South Park, I guess).

Lady Gaia

Really ruffled by the Polygon review. Phil almost seemed pissed off he had to review the game. He may not be a fan of the source material, but it's safe to say anyone who is dropping 60 bucks on a game titled South Park will more than likely be a fan of South Park.

Is it?

It seems far more likely that anyone who is an unreserved fan of the source material won’t need a review to help them decide to buy the game. The review is perfectly aimed at informing a consumer who might be on the fence. I’ve probably only watched two or three episodes and completely get where the reviewer is coming from, but I thought the first game was brilliant despite the sophomoric content and have been eager to hear about the sequel before deciding whether to buy it.

No review from a huge fan of the show was going to sway me, but the Polygon review confirmed what I could realistically expect: some eye rolling and cringe-inducing content to go with the heart I expected and some deeper game mechanics that come as a pleasant surprise. I’m about to buy the game as a result of the review.

Plum

Glad to see that it's good but I think I'll go the same route I did with the first and wait until this drops in price a bit. Can't justify spending £40 on it right now when I've got plenty of games on the go and the Wolfenstein/Mario combo coming in a fortnight.

jviggy43

btw... a point can win a battle here. If the game drops to 79... its going to be the end.
MtZ9N.gif

Lmao, youre literally the poster who said that cuphead not getting at least a 90 meant it couldn't be game of the year and then went on to talk about how important review scores were for you with regards to your enjoyment of games.

Dont get me wrong guys, but i was expecting a GOTY contender or at least one of the highest rated game of the year. At least is going to end in the mid 80s, and thats ok.

Stupid... because i wanted a high 90s score game in my Xbox games library that is not Forza.... WTF... And don't tell me that reviews doesnt matter please because we are in a review thread... I am going to buy the game no matter the score because i love the artstyle. But a 90s score game is really important for an exclusive catalog on a platform, dont be hypocrite please... I didn't said that the game is sh*t or something else. A 85 is a good score.

So like are you poking fun at yourself or are you being serious by saying a point is a big difference?

It's a review written to the Polygon audience, who enjoy being offended by absolutely anything and everything. Like Klepek too, who makes a living off being offended.
This is a pathetic response.

It's sad that some people's minds are so closed that they refuse to accept a single opinion from someone with a different perspective to their own.

Orca

It's not valuable to have a review for people who don't particularly like South Park, but want to know if the game would still be worth checking out?

Reviews don't have to all be done by people who love the genre/IP/developer/whatever...it's actually a disservice if they are.

DoctorDake

Neo Member

As a megafan of South Park, I wholly disagree. What use is a reviewer who is a superfan of South Park, when the game is clearly just "more South Park"? Stick of Truth is one of my favorite games, but it's literally just a playable South Park episode. This game is no different, so how would being a fan of South Park make the review any more useful to anyone? It's exactly as this review says: If you have strong feelings about the show in either direction, you already know if this game is going to be good for you or not. Coming at it from the only remaining perspective (of someone who doesn't care either way) is really the only useful review to write.

styl3s

As a megafan of South Park, I wholly disagree. What use is a reviewer who is a superfan of South Park, when the game is clearly just "more South Park"? Stick of Truth is one of my favorite games, but it's literally just a playable South Park episode. This game is no different, so how would being a fan of South Park make the review any more useful to anyone? It's exactly as this review says: If you have strong feelings about the show in either direction, you already know if this game is going to be good for you or not. Coming at it from the only remaining perspective (of someone who doesn't care either way) is really the only useful review to write.
I would rather someone who doesn't get offended at farts review it. I'm not asking for a superfan but when i read a review about something based on a franchise or a sport i want someone who knows the franchise and sport.

Why would i want someone who knows about baseball to review The Show? or someone who knows nothing about Soccer/Football to review fifa? A game like South Park you kind of need to enjoy that kind of humor and style or you really aren't going to enjoy it. It would be like having me review a anime game for anime i don't like and have never seen.

Mezoly

Now Im more confused than I was before I asked the question

Is it a yes or no?

From everything I've read, it's a yes.

Some people are mad about South Park more recently because they are emotionally charged after the elections.
Don't kill me that's just an observation I noticed on twitter and Gaf OT for this season

Top Bottom