• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceEngine |OT| of exploring the universe!

1314484053132akcoo.png

http://en.spaceengine.org

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68YK2FHkFjw

Wait, how can it be developed by one guy and have infinity-billion stars? Is there some sort of astronomy archive database that it procedurally generates from, is it just a shit ton of copy-paste? Explain this to me.

Looks cool though. Exploration is the foremost joy of video games.

Darklord

Banned
Randomly generated? Man, don't fucking do that. Put if what we've discovered and leave it at that. What's the point of exploring a fictional universe like this? I'll probably still try it out but I'd be WAY more interested if it was factually correct.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Darklord said:
Randomly generated? Man, don't fucking do that. Put if what we've discovered and leave it at that. What's the point of exploring a fictional universe like this? I'll probably still try it out but I'd be WAY more interested if it was factually correct.
There is a portion of the universe that is exactly as the one that will be randomly generated by the software on your PC.

cVVm1.jpg

strata8

Some of my own images:

dualterra.jpg

gasgiant_sunset.jpg

planetsunset.jpg

The terrain generator isn't entirely accurate (no tectonics, climates, poles etc) but it works very well for what it does.

SteveWinwood said:
This looks like the greatest thing in the world.

Would be if it was like some crazy RTS where you could take over the galaxy, I can't be satisfied just flying around and looking at stuff :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I don't like the procedurally generated stuff at all.
And the Carl Sagan thing is pretty tasteless.
Also, wouldn't having planets THAT close to each other as shown in some of the screen shots see them getting ripped apart due to extreme tidal forces?

Consul

My prayers have been answered. That video near enough braught a tear to my eye.. then i found out it was already released and free? Fuck yeah!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Brazil said:
There is a portion of the universe that is exactly as the one that will be randomly generated by the software on your PC.

Believe.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do you actually fly a spaceship and have other light gameplay elements that make it somewhat fun to do so (even if the focus is on exploration and discovery, I don't mean space combat, just things like ways to warp between points instead of reach way too distant shit manually all the time, but without nulifying the core flying aspect as irrelevant because warping is too easy/infinite etc) or just control it like some kind of future Google Earth (or Universe)?

strata8

Alextended said:
Do you actually fly a spaceship and have other light gameplay elements that make it somewhat fun to do so (even if the focus is on exploration and discovery, I don't mean space combat, just nice fun ways to warp between points instead of reach way too distant shit manually all the time, but without nulifying the flying aspect) or just control it like some kind of future Google Earth (or Universe)?
You can choose between the two. I haven't actually tried the ship controls so I'm not sure how well it works.

davepoobond said:
that is pretty awesome looking, but is there a goal or objective to the game?

It's not a game, more like a toy. There's nothing to do but fly around and look at celestial objects. More of an OT topic, really.

Ponti

Mejilan said:
Yeah, I don't like the procedurally generated stuff at all.
And the Carl Sagan thing is pretty tasteless.
Also, wouldn't having planets THAT close to each other as shown in some of the screen shots see them getting ripped apart due to extreme tidal forces?
180px-NoFunAllowed.jpg

This thing is absolutely awesome, gives you some idea of how Infinity might work if it ever sees the light of day.

NBtoaster

I keep getting out of memory errors when I get too close to a planet.

edit: may have fixed it by editing vram usage to 50% in the main.cfg

Koren

Darklord said:
Randomly generated? Man, don't fucking do that. Put if what we've discovered and leave it at that. What's the point of exploring a fictional universe like this?
There's still people trying (really hard) to find interesting locations in Elite games, which are a quater of century old, and use a similar approach. Yes, Elite has gameplay beside exploration (I would love to see Elite 4, btw, which bested Duke Nukem Forever now ^_^), but for some people, finding an interesting spot is a game per se. I remember playing with many random landscape generators in the nineties...

And in a sense, that's not so different from walking in the nature to see a different kind of nearly-randomly-generated landscape... Less health, that's for sure, but when you want to see something else than earth forest and mountains...

Dmax3901

To clarify: Are people saying it's scary due to the scale? The eeriness of space? The complexity of the tool itself?

Teknoman

Dragnet said:
Sweet, now I just need good space music...any recommendations?

The galaxy menu theme from Mass Effect, any ambient themes from Metroid Prime, some of the map music from Mario Galaxy 2. Music from the first Unreal and the menu music from Star Fox SNES or 64 seem like they would fit.

Has anyone posted this in the Space OT on the off topic side?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
NBtoaster said:
Hit escape, go to settings and then graphics.

Can't seem to get this to work. Can someone explain how to see surfaces and such?

I love this thing. I haven't played with it since 0.93, but apparently a lot of crashes are fixed now, time to take 0.94 for a spin =D

Darklord said:

I'm pretty sure there's an option to turn off all the procedurally generated content and just display objects from actual databases
, but then it's not so.... infinite and whimsical anymore! =(

Ledsen

Dragnet said:
Sweet, now I just need good space music...any recommendations?
EVE Online soundtrack. amazing, amazing music. Every time I listen to it it invokes images of flying through infinite space in a small, lonely vessel. And I don't even play the game!

Top Bottom