• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpaceEngine |OT| of exploring the universe!

Just wanted to add: You can turn off the procedurally generated stuff in the F4 "Show Objects" menu, if you're a purist. Or you want the framerate to go a little faster.

noah111

Still Alive
As an avid Celestia user, I can't wait to try this out. No Mac version yet. :( This reminds me of that game in development 'Infinity', anyone remember that amazing tech demo vid a while back?

Veritas_

I can't play with this and listen to music through my headphones at the same time. The constant runtime errors startle the hell out of me.

That said, I still haven't seen a planet surface yet.

Edit: Ah, setting the VRam from 90 to 50 seems to have fixed the planet load crashing. Still takes a year and a half to load one, but it works.

Lime

Sorry about the large gif, but I'm having so much fun with this "game":

starskcos.gif

AshMcCool

Hey: Is it possible to accurately computer simulate faster than light travel, even though its physically impossible?

And where is my Astronaut Simulation Game?

Argh. As is always the case with these games/sims, the moment I hit space I start to feel a weird combination of vertigo and claustrophobia. As always, I will eventually suck it up, tool around for awhile, and then find a black hole, at which point I will experience a dizzying dread.

It does not help that this game started me off on a planet very near another planet that was partly covered by a huge shadow, causing me to alt-tab away instantly (the only known way to escape a black hole at the proximity with our current technology).

Edit: Graphics issue, low FPS, and a crash. Both a space and an X3 sim it seems.

SpaceEngine 0.96 is out - looking better than ever!!

(Main Menu and Universe Map - last 2 random)

Some highlights from changelog:

What's new

• A new coordinate system and camera
  • The Map of the Universe
  • The console, various console commands allow you to change settings, there are also commands that duplicate the functions of the autopilot
  • Updated catalog of dwarf planets, exoplanets, nearest stars, etc.
  • Some new galaxies models, new textures for some Solar system bodies
  • Significantly improved performance in dense regions of galaxies (the nucleus and spiral arms)
  • Collision detection of camera with all planets
  • Spacecrafts: motion control, gravity forces, collisions with planets
  • Procedural galaxies with large-scale structure of the universe and the redshift effect
  • New forms of landscape on planets
  • A new interface design
  • The "game" style of the Main Menu

Lime

game of the forver right here.

Seriously, I sometimes get scared and overwhelmed by the size and scale of the universe when playing this.

doomquake

i think the time has come to play with this.
glad theres a thread for it! gonna use some of your tips.

i guess theres a way to import space ship models into this?

luca_29_bg

Version .972 (the newest version) works great for me in Win 10. No issues at all here.

there's a patch that i have installed, 0.9.7.3, anyway don't works very well, don't load properly the planets, with whatever level of detail choosed. I must try without the patch!

Zojirushi

Been playing around with this a little bit and it's pretty fascinating.

One question though: I'm not sure what determines how detailed the surface of a planet/moon will be.

I've been "landing" on random moons in the Andromeda Galaxy and I see mountains and everything, I tried going to Mars or Earth and it's pretty much one giant low-res texture.
Other planets are a a total mess of stuff where I'm not sure what the game is even trying to do or generate.

Am I doing something wrong?

Top Bottom