• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

Supposedly Caesar vs Gannicus filmed a much longer 1v1 but was cut out during editing, according to Todd Lasance tweets (the actor who portrays him).

I didn't think Caesar came off poorly at all, these are his enemies and he was all about perpetuating the greatness of Rome.

Shadow780

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU it just struck me the Spartacus death scene was so similar in tone with Crisis Core, you know he's somehow going to die at the end but the feel still creep on you.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

sorry to go animu

Sulla1980

I thought that Caesar did fairly well in the fight against Gannicus. He looked badass when he walked into the shot. Yeah, he probably would have lost eventually, but everyone losses to Gannicus!

Anyway, you could make a later Caesar better. While in Gaul, he was famous for fighting in the front.

If he's serious about the whole 50/50 men/women army thing, I really hope DeKnight casts Saxa in his (hopefully) new show. She'd make a badass space soldier/Anya (and have her duel wield two small weapons as a throwback). If he could also squeeze Ludo in with a huge Warhammer 40k-like weapon, I think I'd just die during the first episode.

Anyway, wasn't ready to fully let go of Spartacus this weekend so I've been watching Vikings. It's not god-tier, but still a decent warm down.

I do kinda like Arrow and Crixus is in it.

M3KNT.gif

3HqQa.gif

soul

although I truly believed they would choose a different course rather than following history and let Spartacus win, it was still a great episode. I think I'm mostly sad for Gannicus. I'm definitely down for the boxset too... beer and Spartacus episodes = awesome night.

Any other good shows out there right now? Spartacus was the only show I watched for the past few years.

Moaradin

although I truly believed they would choose a different course rather than following history and let Spartacus win, it was still a great episode. I think I'm mostly sad for Gannicus.

Any other good shows out there right now? Spartacus was the only show I watched for the past few years.

Game of Thrones is the one thing I'm watching on TV now that Spartacus is finished.

Dysun

It's not related to Smallville, it's a new Green Arrow etc. Only similarity is that it airs on the CW and is a DC comic book property

Fezan

Watched it tonight. Absolutely epic and emotionally draining finale, as expected. Can't sum up all my thoughts, but here's a couple.

- Gannicus' end was absolutely brutal. They really enjoyed fucking with us and making us believe he would be possibly the only one to live through it. I honestly believed there was a zero percent chance he would die going into this episode, nevermind being crucified. I prepared myself for Spartacus' death, but not that of Gannicus.

- I find it hard to believe they would have passed up the chance to take out both Crassus AND Caesar on the hill before the battle. They could have easily slaughtered that entire group that their numbers were equal. It would have turned the entire tide of the battle. But they didn't because of.. "honor"? It's not like they didn't try to assassinate Crassus before, so why not now? Would it not have been worth it, considering whats at stake? Both could have been kicked off the cliff, and I can't appreciate the logic of NOT attempting to end it right there.

- Again, the gladiators all go down with cheap shots. Caesar didn't even have the balls to face Gannicus alone, instead hiding behind his men, having Gannicus surrounded and get all sliced up, and then when he is no longer a threat he goes in and knocks him out cold? I thought we were supposed to have some respect for Caesar, as someone who has some balls or some sense of self-respect/dignity? Why would anyone want to watch a rumored spinoff focusing on such a cowardly character who constantly runs and hides until he can administer the finishing blow to a crippled opponent? Would have been nice to see a real 1vs1 with Gannicus.

-Same for Spartacus. Spears through the back...sigh. Would have preferred if Crassus had fatally injured him instead of some more spear in the back bullshit. I hope Crassus realized how fucking pathetic he was, Spartacus managed to best him even after hours of gruelling battle and being severely injured beforehand. Again, I just wished him and Caesar were a bit more severely injured instead of looking all shiny and unscathed at the end. They deserved more pain.

In spite of the above, this show has been the most emotionally engaging bit of TV for me since season 1. What it has accomplished has me in complete awe, and I tip my hat to all involved. So much consistent brilliance, and has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. I will miss the fuck out of it.

Agree completely and i also wanted to say the same thing

Absolutely brilliant, a great finish to a surprisingly good show. Everything that I feel has been said already.. I will miss this show very much. Very nice to see a show come to a end on it's own terms.

However, one thing.

How did they build that trap in the battlefield ? it looked massive, how did the romans not notice ?

Still, I'll miss this show. Great ending. RIP Andy.

Big-E

Absolutely brilliant, a great finish to a surprisingly good show. Everything that I feel has been said already.. I will miss this show very much. Very nice to see a show come to a end on it's own terms.

However, one thing.

How did they build that trap in the battlefield ? it looked massive, how did the romans not notice ?

Still, I'll miss this show. Great ending. RIP Andy.

I think it was their plan all along as that is probably how the Roman scouts found them. Anyway, as already mentioned this finale was one of the better finales in the history of television. Can't remember a time where you knew how it was going to end and still leave satisfied. For a TV battle, this one was pretty fucking good and was way better than the Battle of Black Water Bay in Game of Thrones. That one had maybe better effects but the in battle stuff was really small scale while this one seemed pretty grand. Liked the beginning with the whole I am Spartacus call back to the original movie and the flash to stills while Spartacus was hacking at Crassus. Really want a spin off with the Triumvirate but I think they need to recast Pompei. I didn't recognize him and he didn't seem so grand.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
for me the finale episode showed that the slow motion fight scenes didnt really fit in with spartacus seemed so much better without slow mo

Big-E

for me the finale episode showed that the slow motion fight scenes didnt really fit in with spartacus seemed so much better without slow mo

I disagree. The final slow mo of Crassus grabbing the sword like he did against his slave champion only to be reversed by Spartacus shows that it could be done well. If that is full speed you wouldn't be able to see it.

For all the talk about Pompey, finally seeing him was a bit underwhelming (would've been cool to see a cameo from someone famous or something).

Caesar is like Ashur; a survivor. There was no way he could've beaten Gannicus 1-on-1 so he used the soldiers to box him in/tire him out, but he didn't just cut him down like he did Naevia.

Compare that fight to when Caesar fought Gannicus in Sinuessa. He recklessly engaged him 1-on-1 and ended up wounded.

I think we got to see the evolution of his character throughout the season. At the start he was a womanizer and unruly; like a Roman Gannicus. The appointment of Tiberius as Crassus's word and will humbled him a bit, but when he infiltrated Sinuessa and helped capture the city (while Tiberius was humiliated and relegated to followers' camp) Caesar was feeling pretty confident.

And then he got wounded by Gannicus and Tiberius got his title back. Couple that with a lack of recognition for his role in taking Sinuessa, Caesar decided to strike back using the rape of Kore, only to have her flee to the rebels. When he later tried to convince Tiberius to defend Rome, he bit off more than he could chew.

So Caesar decided to suck it up and wait for his opportunity, which came with Pompey's fake envoy. Using Tiberius's pride, he got rid of his rival. He didn't think Crassus would use him to negotiate the trade, but even without Tiberius he still did it using Kore (I think he would've done it regardless to save his hide).

This is probably why the writers hyped up Caesar v Gannicus. They both start out the same (devil-may-care attitude) but evolve into leaders.

Nilaul

katkombat

Banned
FUUUUUUUUUUUUU it just struck me the Spartacus death scene was so similar in tone with Crisis Core, you know he's somehow going to die at the end but the feel still creep on you.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

sorry to go animu
I literally thought the SAME thing as I saw the
spears through him

985boi

Whoa, I was browsing around twitter and found out UK viewers don't get to watch the finale till Monday night. That sucks, at least they're not several months behind.

nib95

Banned
Great ending to an otherwise pretty average, repetitive, predictable and immature series. It's fun, but it sullies it's qualities somewhat with the excessiveness in so many things, especially the sex scenes which are pretty much all the same. Same moves, angles, shots. Very uninspired and somewhat boring. It has its high points (mainly plot twists and tactical shenanigans), but otherwise it's mediocre stuff. The finale was however quite excellent, as was the second to last Crixus episode. The depiction of those two great battles was very well done. A real sense of scale and immensity. Though bits here and there do break the highs a bit (Spartacus' army uses ladders to cross the trench one by one, and manage to keep at bay an entire army when they get to the other side, etc).

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
although I truly believed they would choose a different course rather than following history and let Spartacus win, it was still a great episode. I think I'm mostly sad for Gannicus. I'm definitely down for the boxset too... beer and Spartacus episodes = awesome night.

Arrow is really good. Has Manu Bennett in it as well. It's also 10x better than Smallville in every way, especially pacing wise. Game of Thrones is also solid.

Zeliard

Great ending to an otherwise pretty average, repetitive, predictable and immature series. It's fun, but it sullies it's qualities somewhat with the excessiveness in so many things, especially the sex scenes which are pretty much all the same. Same moves, angles, shots. Very uninspired and somewhat boring. It has its high points (mainly plot twists and tactical shenanigans), but otherwise it's mediocre stuff. The finale was however quite excellent, as was the second to last Crixus episode. The depiction of those two great battles was very well done. A real sense of scale and immensity. Though bits here and there do break the highs a bit (Spartacus' army uses ladders to cross the trench one by one, and manage to keep at bay an entire army when they get to the other side, etc).

No love for the combat scenes? Though there was some reliance on slow-mo and quick cutting in some scenes, I found the fights to be for the most part wonderfully choreographed and shot throughout the series.

nib95

Banned
No love for the combat scenes? Though there was some reliance on slow-mo and quick cutting in some scenes, I found the fights to be for the most part wonderfully choreographed and shot throughout the series.

To an extent, but I guess after a while it just got too samey. I also found earlier series episodes to have better choreographed and more creative fights, like the shield tap etc. In this season they over did the snap to slow mo slash, character to character.

You know what would have been fucking amazing? If they filmed an alternate ending, where Spartacus and the rebels completely fuck the shit out of Crassus/Caesar/the roman army. And by fuck, I mean slaughter, graphically and violently, and then just ride off into the mountains after the Roman army had dispersed. This could have been released online after the airing of the finale, or as a DVD special. If nothing else, would offer some of us incredible satisfaction and the fantasy ending we've been dreaming of, and history can go fuck itself.

Who actually wants to see a Caesar spin-off? I know I certainly do, all the way to his death. It's be awesome as hell.

I don't see how I could possibly tolerate a series centered on a protagonist who "battles" his opponents while hiding behind a wall of shields, and who gets sch a hard on from watching and administering crucifixions. How can one cheer and feel any empathy from a character so distateful and downright soulless? The writers COULD have made him somewhat likeable in the finale by showing that he had a set of balls, hat he had some mercy, etc- but they did not. I don't see how anyone can watch a spin-off of such an unlikeable character wih no redeeming qualities- I would only be interested in watching his gruesome death.

Look at you having so many wrong opinions. But i guess someone has to play the tv series-snob so props to you for taking that role.

Great ending to an otherwise pretty average, repetitive, predictable and immature series.

Out of curiosity, why would you even continue investing time watching something that you think so little of? It just seems insanely strange, especially since it's been going on for 4 seasons. That's 30+ hrs of watching an "average, repetitive, predictable and immature" series. You clearly enjoyed it since you continued watching it, but for some reason you feel too ashamed to admit that.

Big-E

I don't see how I could possibly tolerate a series centered on a protagonist who "battles" his opponents while hiding behind a wall of shields, and who gets sch a hard on from watching and administering crucifixions. How can one cheer and feel any empathy from a character so distateful and downright soulless? The writers COULD have made him somewhat likeable in the finale by showing that he had a set of balls, hat he had some mercy, etc- but they did not. I don't see how anyone can watch a spin-off of such an unlikeable character wih no redeeming qualities- I would only be interested in watching his gruesome death.

Caesar was against using the weaponry on the Roman soldiers and he did do more direct fighting than any other Roman of any authority. Crassus only went against Spartacus on horseback and then ran like a coward when his helmet was knocked off. Caesar actually came of as one of the more sensible Romans on the show in terms of big power figures.

Replicant

I hope some of the actors get more roles in the future. Someone on tumblr posted this and I thought Liam looks spot on as Booker DeWitt. I'd probably replace Lily Collins with Elizabeth Olsen though:

buKmhZ3.png

Manu

rHOAU40.gif

Radec

If ever they make a Caesar spin off, I hope they find another Caesar. The current one has a smug face with irritating smile.

Whatchu talkin' bout?!

He bravely went behind enemy lines (even cutting off a chunk of flesh to do so!) in order to drive the lawless savages from the city they pillaged and raped. And he ended the suffering of a woman who had been brutalized by these monsters.

He's a motherfucking ROMAN. They give out crucifixions like candy where he's from! It's not like he murdered any dudes and fucked their widow a few weeks later. (shame on you, Spartacus)
"Hiding behind a wall of shields"?! More like he's not a moron!
And lets not forget it was his PURE badassitude that allowed for Marcus's D-Bag Rapist of a son to come to his deserved fate.

Sure he can be a little impatient, and quick to anger. And SURE he's cool with slaves and corporal punishment, but any good character needs a flaw or two to make them human!

AMAZING finale to an outstanding series. Many tears were shed. Anyone that has a tendency to write off a show after one or two episodes needs to look at this as a shining example that a show can turn it self around, and in a completely spectacular fashion.

I have so many thoughts and feelings, I don't know if I could type them all up. Suffice to say, I love this show quite a lot. One of the most exciting, intriguing and satisfying series I've ever watched.

Caesar spin-off now, please. LIKE RIGHT NOW.

If they wanted to do a Caesar spin off while hitting the ground running, they should have given him a little more balls in the final episode. I wouldn't have minded if he beat Gannacus in a 1 on 1. The man was a beast IRL.

Dysun

Seems like the Caesar hate comes from him not being a badass gladiator slayer, you really think he could handle a god of the arena? Come on

MrHicks

Banned
If they wanted to do a Caesar spin off while hitting the ground running, they should have given him a little more balls in the final episode. I wouldn't have minded if he beat Gannacus in a 1 on 1. The man was a beast IRL.

IRL caesar would never have beaten the greatest gladiators of his day
such crazy talk

would have looked stupid if he did i'm glad they went the way they did

Caesar is great, i didn't like that cowardly move he did but it was necessary for him to survive. he could not take on gannicus. dude was just too good.

When Spartacus caught that sword......when he caught that sword

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fucking badass shot right there. he looked straight out of hell.

really great fun. and some really nice fight choreography in this series. i will pick up the complete show on bluray.

edit: if Vikings continues it's quality as is i think it has the potential to be better than spartacus.

i remember shitting on spartacus when the pilot came out but i definitely warmed up to the show after that. i prefer both to game of thrones tbh.

Big-E

Caesar is great, i didn't like that cowardly move he did but it was necessary for him to survive. he could not take on gannicus. dude was just too good.

When Spartacus caught that sword......when he caught that sword

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

fucking badass shot right there. he looked straight out of hell.

really great fun. and some really nice fight choreography in this series. i will pick up the complete show on bluray.

edit: if Vikings continues it's quality as is i think it has the potential to be better than spartacus.

i remember shitting on spartacus when the pilot came out but i definitely warmed up to the show after that. i prefer both to game of thrones tbh.

I agree with a lot here, especially with Game of Thrones being inferior to this. Need to start watching Vikings I guess.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Loved it and sad it is over. Props to Liam, he was fantastic this season (I had no problems with him in the other season though). Plan on doing a rewatch sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom