• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spartacus: War of the Damned - the conclusion of a legendary journey - Fri on Starz

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing i couldnt help but laugh about during all the seasons was the complete lack of any kind of tactics from the Romans. They went in like the Gauls did in the opening scene of Rome most f the time. Its only in this final episode you started seeing them use the tactics of hiding behind shieldwalls while switching out dudes every minute, and they immediately crushed Spartacus' army.

I agree with a lot here, especially with Game of Thrones being inferior to this. Need to start watching Vikings I guess.

Vikings is pretty entertaining. Its not at all at the level of Spartacus and lacks the graphic violence and nudity, but its still decent enough to keep watching.

fanboi

Banned
I wouldn't compare Spartacus and Vikings really.

Both are great in their own way.

But both have hotchicks and sexual adventures... but Vikings lack the nudity.

Bazza

Awesome ending that even had me tearing up a little.

Got the 4 season bluray box set ordered on Amazon, apparently its releasing on 29/04/13

Beepos

Farewell good friend. You have been amazing for me from start to finish. RIP Andy. Incredible performance by Liam; that charge up the hill good god. I was heavily invested and the final did not disappoint.

Looking forward to the Spartacus:Legends game. It's going to be average, but I'm such a fan, I'm going to love building gladiators up and amassing their fame.

Bazza

Oh, interesting. I assume we will see a full series set at some point, but I'd guess that they'll want to pack that one with special features which make take a little while to put together. I figured they'd do something like release War of the Damned this Summer and then put together a full set for the holidays.

- Onion A|V Club: Spartacus creator Steven DeKnight on the show’s tumultuous history and overall legacy
After four seasons on Starz, Spartacus has just completed the final leg of its tumultuous journey. Not all of that tumult was confined to the action depicted onscreen: When the show’s original lead, Andy Whitfield, fell ill after the initial season, Blood And Sand, executive producers Steven DeKnight and Rob Tapert constructed a six-episode prequel season, Gods Of The Arena, in order to allow Whitfield time to recover. Unfortunately, after an initially positive prognosis, Whitfield died from non-Hodgkin lymphoma, at which point the show faced the almost impossible task of deciding how best to proceed. After recasting its lead (with Whitfield’s blessing), Spartacus moved into its second season with as many unknowns before it as the titular hero had before him.

And yet, after achieving the seemingly impossible and crafting the stellar second season, Vengeance, DeKnight made the surprising announcement that the following installment, War Of The Damned, would be the show’s last. At a time when the show was more popular than ever, the decision raised a lot of questions. Why was the show ending? Would there be enough time to tell the rest of the saga in only 10 episodes? And why was a shaggy-haired, bearded Julius Caesar part of the endgame? Before the series finale aired on April 12, DeKnight sat down with The A.V. Club to answer some questions and put the show’s overall legacy into context.

nib95

Banned
Out of curiosity, why would you even continue investing time watching something that you think so little of? It just seems insanely strange, especially since it's been going on for 4 seasons. That's 30+ hrs of watching an "average, repetitive, predictable and immature" series. You clearly enjoyed it since you continued watching it, but for some reason you feel too ashamed to admit that.

Well, earlier on in the initial series, there was a part of the whole Gladitorial world and politics of Rome I'd seen little of in cinema/tv. The whole ludus thing, with Battiatus, and the detailed training regimes, the politics and all that went with it. Despite the silliness of the show, all of that other stuff, plus the politics kept me hooked.

Later down the line I thought it'd be a similar thing with the rebellion, but it never quite transpired, and instead got quite samey. Don't feel the latter seasons hold to the same narrative quality and creative diversity as some of the early stuff, maybe the source material was less exciting (stay on the run, fight Romans, kill for food/supplies etc rinse repeat). But once you invest even somewhat in the characters and the world, I personally felt the need to see it though even if it didn't blow me away. The finale was quite excellent though, as were several moments here and there scattered throughout War of the Damned.

Munin

Man, I feel so empty after the finale now. Spartacus was far from the best or most compelling series I've seen in the past few years and I thought S2 was really bad but they really went for it this time around and these guys were with us all these years and now they're gone :(

FootballFan

The only thing I've seen is a placeholder listing for Spartacus: War of the Damned, but there's no release date on that yet. They might announce a full series set down the line at some point.

Weird, looks like the complete bluray box set on UK amazon is a set date for release. The date does seem a little close, normally a 6 month wait after the original airing of the show before box sets are normally released.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BBUNUOG/

Great, thanks for the replies.

Agron and Nasir fought together and lived. The rest of them fought separately and died separately.

Spartacus died in the mountains, closer to the gods.

Vikings has been very good so far and is worth a look. Rome is great and well worth your time.

Yes but it's not as bloody or full of gratuitous sex.
Yeah, Vikings is in a very similar vein, but the basic cableness of it means not as much sex & violence. The show doesn't really suffer because of it, and I've been enjoying it so far.

i still think Rome is better, in the writing and acting department. but i'm not knocking this since i loved this one.
there are some action scenes but it's more political and drama oriented than action. don't go in expecting spartacus every episode.
I'd agree with this. Rome did get very gory at times, but that wasn't the focus.

- Deadline: Starz’s Hits Viewership High With ‘Da Vinci’s Demons’ Debut & ‘Spartacus’ Finale
The same night Da Vinci debuted, the third and final season of Starz’s flagship series came to an end on Friday with 1.43 million viewers watching Spartacus: War Of The Damned at 9 PM. The January 27 season debut of the series garnered a 5.5 rating for the network and had 930,000 viewers watching its first airing at 9 PM. Friday’s finale was up 53% over the season premiere. In total, the nearly 2.7 million viewers that Spartacus received over all its plays this past weekend beat the season average viewership of 2.4 million by 11% and bested the season premiere weekend’s average of 2.5 million by 5%. Spartacus was a breakout hit for Starz when its first cycle, Blood And Sand, premiered in January 2010. The show survived the loss of star Andy Whitfield, who died of cancer last year. In its second season, Spartacus: Vengeance, which featured Liam McIntyre in the lead role, averaged more than 6 million weekly viewers.
Also:
EW said:
Spartacus: War of the Damned finished its run with 1.4 viewers for its Friday premiere telecast at 9 p.m. and totaled 2.7 million viewers for the full weekend (that’s just shy of the show’s Gods of the Arena premiere peak)

Taruranto

Well, earlier on in the initial series, there was a part of the whole Gladitorial world and politics of Rome I'd seen little of in cinema/tv. The whole ludus thing, with Battiatus, and the detailed training regimes, the politics and all that went with it. Despite the silliness of the show, all of that other stuff, plus the politics kept me hooked.

Later down the line I thought it'd be a similar thing with the rebellion, but it never quite transpired, and instead got quite samey. Don't feel the latter seasons hold to the same narrative quality and creative diversity as some of the early stuff, maybe the source material was less exciting (stay on the run, fight Romans, kill for food/supplies etc rinse repeat). But once you invest even somewhat in the characters and the world, I personally felt the need to see it though even if it didn't blow me away. The finale was quite excellent though, as were several moments here and there scattered throughout War of the Damned.

Pretty much my thoughts. I didn't hate the series obviously because i stuck around for so long, but i never loved it like i did with the first season and the prequel (and part of the second season). I think part of the reason was because i felt the Roman's side shenanigans just weren't on par with Lucretia/Bathiatus/Ilithyia political adventures..

Man, how i miss them.

pIUhysh.jpg

Ricker

Just finished watching the series finale...fucking Epic,I loved those screenshot also at the end during the credits of everyone...awesome show,sad to see it end...all I have to say to everyone involved in this:

GRATITUDE.

Great show - I really wish more people would look past the sex and violence and actually watch it.

The deception/ politics and characters are so good - is there any other show in the same sort of vein?

Burger

Jupiter's cock it was great. Thank you based GAF for introducing me to this show, with your gentle prodding to get past the first few bad episodes and push through to greatness.

Glad to see great work coming out of NZ and many fine performances from NZ actors.

Manu Bennett was the real star of War of the Damned. Andy Whitfield the star of Blood and Sand* (with John Hannah as a close second) and Nick Tarabay blowing me away in Vengeance.

*corrected

FootballFan

Jupiter's cock it was great. Thank you based GAF for introducing me to this show, with your gentle prodding to get past the first few bad episodes and push through to greatness.

Glad to see great work coming out of NZ and many fine performances from NZ actors.

Manu Bennett was the real star of War of the Damned. Andy Whitfield the star of Gods of the Arena (with John Hannah as a close second) and Nick Tarabay blowing me away in Vengeance.

Andy Whitfield wasn't in Gods of the Arena, you probably meant Blood and Sand.

John Hannah was amazing, Batiatus was a great character. This show really made me like most of the antagonists. Ashur, Crassus, Batiatus, Lucretia and Caesar were all very likable imo.

"Words fall from your mouth as shit from ass" from Gods of the Arena is still one of the best lines in the show. Haha

X-Frame

Did anyone else notice that the War Of The Damned Blu-Ray went from around $53 to now $41.99?

Does anyone think it'll drop even more when it actually is released or is this probably the final price?

dave_m123

You speak with false tongue and absent cause. Quickly give reason to thoughts or forever depart this earth.

Haha love the dialogue.

Loved the finale. Watched the last 4 episodes last night back to back.

Amazing last half of the finale :O.

Liam was fantastic this season specially later on. I think it took him a while in the last season to get going but this last few episode he has killed it he was fantastic at the end.

Gratitude show creators it was great. They need to make a spin off now. Think I'll keep a check on whatever the creator makes in the future.

That trap against the romans..

That storm upon the hill by Spartacus..

Gannicus on horseback..

Neavia dying (good riddance)

Spartacus getting speared..

Gannicus getting crucified :( ..

Spartacus dying in the mountains as the god he was..

That final episode was so filled with epic moments that I feel it will remain on the #1 position as the best final in a series in my book. Clearly this show was intended to be somewhat of a true portrayal to the legend Spartacus, even though I am also in the same boat with the people who would have loved Spartacus to keep on living but it just does not flow with history.

Shame there really can not be a true Season 4 considering the remaining slaves who fled eventually got killed by Pompei's army in southern Italy.

But Spartacus did what he wanted. He changed the course of history. Decades later the Romans were still at fear of gladiatorial slaves breaking out and killing everyone. People always had the name Spartacus sit on their tongue.

Monocle

Am i the only one who was disappointed with this season? I thought it was the worst one by far..
The last half was disappointing except for episode 9, but Vengeance was definitely the worst season. I probably would have quit it after the first few episodes if I hadn't been so interested in the Roman characters. The gladiator/slave side was mostly abysmal.

I overstated things by comparing the series finale to a weak episode of season 2, but it was still quite a letdown for me because none of it matched or improved on what I'd hoped to see.

lmpaler

I finally caught up and finished the show last night. I'm sad it is over, but it was a fantastic season and they really ended it perfectly.

My only gripe was the death of Gannicus, but upon reflecting, he died a glorious death.

RIP Andy and thank you to everyone involved in creating such a fantastic show with so many memorable characters.

That trap against the romans..

That storm upon the hill by Spartacus..

Gannicus on horseback..

Neavia dying (good riddance)

Spartacus getting speared..

Gannicus getting crucified :( ..

Spartacus dying in the mountains as the god he was..

That final episode was so filled with epic moments that I feel it will remain on the #1 position as the best final in a series in my book. Clearly this show was intended to be somewhat of a true portrayal to the legend Spartacus, even though I am also in the same boat with the people who would have loved Spartacus to keep on living but it just does not flow with history.

Shame there really can not be a true Season 4 considering the remaining slaves who fled eventually got killed by Pompei's army in southern Italy.

But Spartacus did what he wanted. He changed the course of history. Decades later the Romans were still at fear of gladiatorial slaves breaking out and killing everyone. People always had the name Spartacus sit on their tongue.

What. :(

Thats gutting man, I would love to study the real history but the websites like wikipedia are so dry.

I really wanted Spartacus and Crassus to come to some agreement at some point near the end of the episode, he and a bunch of slaves could have slipped away and Crassus would have had his 'victory'. I think in hind site though the series is far better for the fact that Spartacus did in fact die at the end.

lmpaler

What. :(

Thats gutting man, I would love to study the real history but the websites like wikipedia are so dry.

I really wanted Spartacus and Crassus to come to some agreement at some point near the end of the episode, he and a bunch of slaves could have slipped away and Crassus would have had his 'victory'. I think in hind site though the series is far better for the fact that Spartacus did in fact die at the end.

Well it is dry because not much has either survived or known of it. For example Spartacus is said to have died in battle, but his body was never found(supposedly). Gannicus died in battle with Castus after they broke off from Spartacus(similar to the Crixus events in the show). Oenomaus was actually a Gaul and died very early in the Third Serville War(the war the whole show is based around). And mighty Crixus died later on and he is said to have broken off from Spartacus before then, but there are different accounts of his death and no one knows for certain why they split or any of that. Although I enjoy Appaln's account because Spartacus made the leftover Romans fight to the death in honor of Crixus like the show.

My guess is because Spartacus and his army were more focused on fighting to live and trying to break away from Rome and didn't spend all day writing down everything they did lol.

Also Spartacus did attempt an agreement of sorts, but Crassus would not have it.

In history it comes full circle because Caeser gets murdered, Crassus died well before that, and I prefer the story of him being killed by gold put poured down his throat, but it isn't proven or denied, I just like it.

Basically, don't fuck with Spartacus as his wrath carried beyond the grave, mwahahaha.

Sorry for rant, but I fucking love history and this show initally sparked my interest even more on these people and their sotires so I have done a lot of research to learn as much as I can.

EDIT: Castus was a Roman Gladiator in history, he deserted the Roman military and was put into slavery at the House of Batiatus(yes it is real), but in the show they had him as a pirate(he is the one who is in love with Nasir). It is what it is and I love the show regardless as I know they were not trying to accurately portray every character.

Enosh

Also Spartacus did attempt an agreement of sorts, but Crassus would not have it.
of course not, he had spartacus cornered at that point and there was no way for him to loose basically, would have to be an idiot to agree to any terms of surrender and that's not even counting the whole "encourages other slaves to rebel" if spartacus gets away with it
In history it comes full circle because Caeser gets murdered, Crassus died well before that, and I prefer the story of him being killed by gold put poured down his throat, but it isn't proven or denied, I just like it.

Basically, don't fuck with Spartacus as his wrath carried beyond the grave, mwahahaha.
I really don't think "died decades latter in completely unrelated circumstances" is a big victory, by that logic no one ever in the history of mankind has won any war ever since every victor eventually dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom