• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speakers Vs Headphones

kevm3

If you can get away with it, speakers are much better. I love the expansive sound and I love not being tethered to my setup via a cord. I also love not having something clamped to my head. The issue is, they can be a bit more expensive and you have to run the risk of making people mad when they are hearing your music blaring through the walls. If you live in an apt, its very hard to join the speaker kingdom.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Obviously speakers if you don't care for other people in your house.
But you will still hear more with headphones

My K/D on Call of Duty would be even worse if I didn't play with headphones. If you're playing games with sound coming from a setup that doesn't give you situational awareness, you're at a disadvantage for sure.

Justin9mm

I have a proper 5.1.2 Atmos home theatre system. There is nothing that compares to a proper home theatre sub, speakers and receiver. I laugh at people that consider a soundbar with sub and extra speakers a proper full surround sound or home theatre setup. They think it sounds good because they don't know any better. My subwoofer alone is worth $2000. It changes the gaming experience exponentially which headphones or 5.1 Soundbar setups could never replicate.

Even an older receiver with some older second-hand speakers would sound a lot better than headphones or Soundbar surround setup. If you don't have the room or budget for that, then I guess I would probably be buying the best headphones I can get with the money I have. But most of them are all crap.

In saying all that I have a PS5 and Series X connected to my home theatre, the Dolby Atmos on the X shits all over PS5's 3D tempest audio bullshit. It's literally night and day difference. The PS5 still sounds decent but nowhere near as good as the Atmos. Sony cheaped out because they didn't want to pay for Atmos licensing, that is the truth.

Last edited:

CLW

I personally have an avr 5.1 setup with klipsch reference premiere speakers. LOVE them especially for movies haven’t used my gaming headset since even though I feel gaming devs do a POOR job on sound mixing

Rubicaant

Audioengine A5+ with some random subwoofer

I have some DT880 Pro, but my wife doesn't like me using them because she thinks i'm talking to girls.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Speaker GIF by Wet Sounds

Speakers are better

Codes 208

Speakers for solos (lets me use another source like my phone or tablet for background noise)

Headphones when chatting with friends

Headphones, so much more immersion and can hear stuff I never did on speakers. Lets say games like The Last Guardian, you barely hear the howling of the wind throught the speakers, but headphones on, you hear clear bird chirping, wind etc. Unless you have your own house and you can blast as much as you want, speakers are a no go.

Last edited:
The right headphones will likely outmatch most HTSs. Of course I have no knowledge of the very expensive, high end products, so what do I know?

My set up is a Sony receiver and Yamaha speakers in a 7.2.0 formation. The shape of my theater room is better suited for 7.1 than Atmos. I also have the Xbox wireless headset that is way too bass heavy, but adjusted sounds really nice imo.

I can hear more details from the headset than my HTS.

Last edited:
Stereo loudspeakers+amp+dac > Headphones

It will always be like that.

It has to do with imaging, phase and whatnot.

You can hear left speaker in your right ear, and right speaker in your left ear.

You can't on headphones, it's that simple.

Pros and cons are different thou.

On headphones you will always get pretty good sound with minimal effort- besides choosing the source, amp/dac and headphones.

On loudspeakers room acoustics make a difference. If its bad you won't push a 100% of any system, be it a budget, mid or hi-end.

Last edited:
Headphones, so much more immersion and can hear stuff I never did on speakers. Lets say games like The Last Guardian, you barely hear the howling of the wind throught the speakers, but headphones on, you hear clear bird chirping, wind etc. Unless you have your own house and you can blast as much as you want, speakers are a no go.
Depends on speakers you have. I could debate but as I wrote in the post above it has to do more with room acoustics. Also there are speakers which by far can beat headphones but those are expensive.

As I wrote its easier to just go into headphones route.

But it's still doable on loudspeakers. But there are factors you have to consider also time and money.

I also don't know what speakers you had, and what you used to drive them. If this was some PC speakers or active stuff... Well, there are other options.

The best sound which has beaten any headphones I had or have heard was on vintage amp, source as a DAC and on vintage 1971 stereo loudspeakers with two 16 ohms cone tweeters which had resultant of 8 ohms. Similar stuff vintage JBL speakers had- cone tweeters. I liked that more than any other tweeter, be it a soft dome or a horn.

Those were jawdropping. Never ever have I heard better guitars and cymbals to this day and they had a presence you wouldn't honestly believe.

They pushed to 16kHz tops but had weird up beat in frequency, you remember those phonographs back in the day with tube?

This had this effect but it wasn't LQ, everything was crystal clear like with todays headphones. Stuff was insane, it was like you had a musician in the room playing guitars just for you. I have that burned in my memory and its hard to beat with headphones so far. Even Ultrasones with their S-Logic system isn't building similar soundstage and presence, warmth and I would even argue about details. It was just so much shock for me.

Also bass is more open on loudspeakers, the pressure I can get at low level volumes sometimes surprises me- and it's like fuller than on headphones. I tend to listen more on loudspeakers than on headphones lately. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Indyblue

I really like headphones but I have yet to find a wireless pair that don’t get uncomfortable after even just a little bit. Not that I’ve tried a whole lot of pairs, cause they cost a lot. I like in ear headphones more than over ear. I have a pretty good 5.1 setup too and don’t have to worry much about volume.

Fortunately, I can listen on loudspeakers. Its probably like 0.1 to 0.3W per channel tops though. So not really blasting it up:

Phenomenal pressing.

1970s amp, 80s speakers, 70s table, 70s stylus- Shure made in USA. Top empty cabinets are 1977 Yammies loudspeakers which turned out to be a project unfortunately. Its moving up slowly.

Sheer warmth is something which I can't really describe.

Dynamics are off the charts too and I don't have a proper accoustics nailed down so there's that. Things could be much better.

Funny thing with vinyl, it sounds so good on loudspeakers but off and weird on headphones. I tried it a few times and always end up listening to it on speakers...

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Then you don't have the right setup. Headphones are good for wanting higher volume as to not disturb others but saying they are better than a good surround system is absurd. I'm assuming you're talking about stereo speakers or some cheap small surround sound setup. You spend $6K-$10K on a system, you will hear that wind on lower volume.

Lasha

I use headphones for competitive games where directional audio is important. Games like counterstrike where a round can hinge on being able to pinpoint the direction of an errant footstep are miserable to play without headphones. I use speakers for everything else. A room filled with audio is always a better experience than having something on your ears.

Soodanim

Too many posts ITT are filled with hyperbole, they should come with warning labels.

If someone doesn't say what they're comparing and goes straight into "X better" or "X shit", they're talking about their specific circumstance and shouldn't be taken as an honest answer.

Good speakers are the PC master race of audio: higher entry cost (sometimes much higher for the really good stuff), but objectively better results when you put the money in. That doesn't mean it's worth it, because there are diminishing returns the higher up you get and it's a niche for good reason. A pair of good headphones with DAC/AMP will achieve very good results for a fraction of the cost.

Money and individual needs are the factors that matter most here, more so the latter when you need to consider others around you. If you have a soundproofed room or live alone in a detached property, then obviously you can go nuts with it.

Ulysses 31

For me generally headphones for music or where you want to hear the fine details.

Surround speakers for better surround effect.

Too many posts ITT are filled with hyperbole, they should come with warning labels.

If someone doesn't say what they're comparing and goes straight into "X better" or "X shit", they're talking about their specific circumstance and shouldn't be taken as an honest answer.

Good speakers are the PC master race of audio: higher entry cost (sometimes much higher for the really good stuff), but objectively better results when you put the money in. That doesn't mean it's worth it, because there are diminishing returns the higher up you get and it's a niche for good reason. A pair of good headphones with DAC/AMP will achieve very good results for a fraction of the cost.

Money and individual needs are the factors that matter most here, more so the latter when you need to consider others around you. If you have a soundproofed room or live alone in a detached property, then obviously you can go nuts with it.
Thats basically what I wrote few posts eariler.

I 100% agree.

Then you don't have the right setup. Headphones are good for wanting higher volume as to not disturb others but saying they are better than a good surround system is absurd. I'm assuming you're talking about stereo speakers or some cheap small surround sound setup. You spend $6K-$10K on a system, you will hear that wind on lower volume.
When did I say its better than surround sound? I specifically said as long as you dont have a house headphones are by far the best bet. The loudness i have to crank to hear such minor details through a speaker, all three apartments around mine would hear it. Better than that $6k sound system is to have a personal cinema in your house but guess what most people dont nor do they have houses.

Still, music I always prefer to listeon on my headphones rather than to just blare throughout the whole apartment. Theres a reason studio headphones exist.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Speakers in my living room (PS5) with a Jamo S626 5.1 setup (eventually to upgrade to 5.1.2).
Headphones in my office (PC), Audeze Maxwell.

I only use headphones in the living room when I'm playing coop games with friends on my PS5.

Speakers are better for comfort, immersion and notion of scale. Headphones are better for privacy, not bothering other people and sound positioning.

Last edited:
When did I say its better than surround sound? I specifically said as long as you dont have a house headphones are by far the best bet. The loudness i have to crank to hear such minor details through a speaker, all three apartments around mine would hear it. Better than that $6k sound system is to have a personal cinema in your house but guess what most people dont nor do they have houses.

Still, music I always prefer to listeon on my headphones rather than to just blare throughout the whole apartment. Theres a reason studio headphones exist.
Yeah, not everyone has the conditions to listen on loudspeakers. Plus they are pricey.

As I have mentioned I understand this. And it's fairly easy and easier on the wallet to listen only on headphones. Plus you got pretty good sound out of the box.

My hobby is a sink hole for example 🙈. But I absolutely love vintage speakers.

Current project while it was still working. And sweet Kenny KA-3500. This thing is a beast. If someone is preparing to buy vintage Yammies PM me before. Since they have issues, didn't know what I'm getting myself into. It was supposed to be a future proof buy since those have threaded cloth surrounds. Its indestructible. Didn't worked out as I have planned...

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I have a proper 5.1.2 Atmos home theatre system. There is nothing that compares to a proper home theatre sub, speakers and receiver. I laugh at people that consider a soundbar with sub and extra speakers a proper full surround sound or home theatre setup. They think it sounds good because they don't know any better. My subwoofer alone is worth $2000. It changes the gaming experience exponentially which headphones or 5.1 Soundbar setups could never replicate.

Even an older receiver with some older second-hand speakers would sound a lot better than headphones or Soundbar surround setup. If you don't have the room or budget for that, then I guess I would probably be buying the best headphones I can get with the money I have. But most of them are all crap.

In saying all that I have a PS5 and Series X connected to my home theatre, the Dolby Atmos on the X shits all over PS5's 3D tempest audio bullshit. It's literally night and day difference. The PS5 still sounds decent but nowhere near as good as the Atmos. Sony cheaped out because they didn't want to pay for Atmos licensing, that is the truth.
Appreciate your post bro, but all the gear and no idea springs to mind.

PS5 tempest isn’t supported on surround speakers that’s why Atmos sounds better and I agree it does but PS5 is simple 5.1 or 7.1 via surround speakers.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Headphones FTW! I use Pulse 3D, sounds perfect on PC, sound very good on PS5 but I prefer the sound of it on PC, way more locality and clarity.

Justin9mm

Appreciate your post bro, but all the gear and no idea springs to mind.

PS5 tempest isn’t supported on surround speakers that’s why Atmos sounds better and I agree it does but PS5 is simple 5.1 or 7.1 via surround speakers.
You seriously think I have no idea?

The PS5 still outputs uncompressed 5.1 PCM signal through the AVR. Tempest 3D audio is processing software for 2 channel speakers. I'm well aware. Maybe I wasn't clear, my setup outputting 5.1 PCM still shits all over it because it's not virtual surround sound but actual surround sound. I'm saying that because Sony went with tempest 3D audio bullshit, they left out Dolby Atmos support which is far superior. I know what the Tempest 3D audio sounds like, I have some very good Sennheiser headphones and the pulse 3D headset.

TrebleShot

You seriously think I have no idea?

The PS5 still outputs uncompressed 5.1 PCM signal through the AVR. Tempest 3D audio is processing software for 2 channel speakers. I'm well aware. Maybe I wasn't clear, my setup outputting 5.1 PCM still shits all over it because it's not virtual surround sound but actual surround sound. I'm saying that because Sony went with tempest 3D audio bullshit, they left out Dolby Atmos support which is far superior. I know what the Tempest 3D audio sounds like, I have some very good Sennheiser headphones and the pulse 3D headset.
Doesn’t Atmos have 32 surround sources and tempest has something like 300 or something?

Wont catch me arguing that physical surround isn’t better than headphones.

Atmos has a licensing fee thats why Sony skipped it for games, it has Atmos support for blu ray and streaming apps I believe *dont use them on PS5.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Speakers. I only use headphones when I'm on the move or in VR for better immersion, but otherwise I like to feel the subwoofer in my cooch when I'm at home. A good powerful bass should make you feel like your entire body is being blasted with vibrations.

Justin9mm

Speakers. I only use headphones when I'm on the move or in VR for better immersion, but otherwise I like to feel the subwoofer in my cooch when I'm at home. A good powerful bass should make you feel like your entire body is being blasted with vibrations.
A lot of people have a skewed idea or knowledge of sound systems. People think a 5.1 soundbar system is somewhat comparable to an actual surround sound system with dedicated speakers, sub and avr. They think headphones are good because they can't get that in ear surround with their stereo speakers or even 5.1 soundbar.

I'm the same as you, I have an SVS PB-2000 Pro sub, i don't just want to hear it, I want to feel it. I'm looking to get a second sub for the back of my room. The immersive experience is second to none. No headphones can compete with a proper Home Theatre.

Last edited:
As others have already intimated, using speakers poses its own challenges.

Placing speakers in the correct place for the best acoustics, I assume, takes knowledge the average person doesn't have.

Fellas, razr v2 pro. Or nova pro steel series?

Which do you guys prefer?

- OT
I was searchi g for thread, but this only one i can find

My budget is 400

nemiroff

Gold Member
Headphones, always. HOWEVER, it needs to be a certain level of comfort and quality of course. I can f.ex. wear my Philips Fidelio X3 a full day without any discomfort, it's one of the few of many I can say that about.

And btw, for those new into headphones, read up on the difference between open and closed back headphones. For me it's important to hear what's going on around me, so I went with open back headphones (and also I prefer the "non-pressure" sound feel of open backs).

Last edited:

Neilg

Both.

I'm not convinced by 5.1. If you spend a thousand dollars on a stereo system and the same amount on a 5.1, the audio quality of the stereo system will blow the 5.1 system away. this tracks every single time you raise the budget - the pair of floor standing speakers and a sub will always sound significantly better. so thats what I have.

Placing speakers in the correct place for the best acoustics, I assume, takes knowledge the average person doesn't have.
lol this is not anywhere near as complicated as you think it is? If the bass port is at the rear, they cant go back up against a wall. if the port is at the front, they can. position them around your room, facing where you sit. left and right should be symmetrical.
Speaker reviews will mention if they have a wide sweet spot, or a tight sweet spot. wide is good if it's a living room / shared sofa. that's it. I've also never bought a set of speakers that didnt come with tons of diagrams in the manual showing the ideal angles to place them relative to where you sit, they all come with everything you'd need to gain this knowledge in the box.

Last edited:
Both.

I'm not convinced by 5.1. If you spend a thousand dollars on a stereo system and the same amount on a 5.1, the audio quality of the stereo system will blow the 5.1 system away. this tracks every single time you raise the budget - the pair of floor standing speakers and a sub will always sound significantly better. so thats what I have.

lol this is not anywhere near as complicated as you think it is? If the bass port is at the rear, they cant go back up against a wall. if the port is at the front, they can. position them around your room, facing where you sit. left and right should be symmetrical.
Speaker reviews will mention if they have a wide sweet spot, or a tight sweet spot. wide is good if it's a living room / shared sofa. that's it. I've also never bought a set of speakers that didnt come with tons of diagrams in the manual showing the ideal angles to place them relative to where you sit, they all come with everything you'd need to gain this knowledge in the box.
Yes, it's so simple you spent two long paragraphs explaining how to do it.

Hahahaha... seriously, though, I know what you mean, it's not that complicated.

I just meant to get it sounding perfect is all.

Top Bottom