• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

Jintor

I didn't really feel that the game ever really promised to be choice-based at all, despite what the narrative occasionally said.

Just finished it.

I liked the narrative and the adaptive dialogue, thought the rest was a generic shooter that did nothing particularly great or interesting, and the floaty mouse cursor in the PC port was annoying as shit.

Jackpot

Banned
T'was a great game, as both Yager games have been. Just felt a little cheated on Chapter 8 because
I clearly saw the civilians in the trench underneath the last humvee in the FLIR. I tried to find a way to exit the camera and take it out normally. I couldn't and it was clear to me exactly what the game wanted me to do so I did it. Removed most of the moral punch to it as it was just jumping through hoops for the game's sake. Still, it recognised my 3rd choice for the hung men, firing into the air to scare off the civis, and shooting the US soldiers at the end

I loved their AA-12 and loading screen messages. Whilst the number of enemies you face detract from the story, you feel like a badass when you take them all out with things falling apart around you.

legacyzero

Banned
I love during a firefight when you can hear all the enemy soldiers freaking out and yelling at each other.

That's an awesome touch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I didn't really feel that the game ever really promised to be choice-based at all, despite what the narrative occasionally said.

It's not choice based, but it makes a point of choices, including them both in the gameplay and the narrative. And I feel that any moment where a player is interacting with an experience there is an element of 'choice'. This is the careful line to tread when telling story through interactivity, as you're constructing a narrative when a player is most involved and engaged in an experience, and in turn most sensitive to and critical (I think so anyway) of contrivances and transparency.

Grisby

Just felt a little cheated on Chapter 8 because
I clearly saw the civilians in the trench underneath the last humvee in the FLIR. I tried to find a way to exit the camera and take it out normally. I couldn't and it was clear to me exactly what the game wanted me to do so I did it. Removed most of the moral punch to it as it was just jumping through hoops for the game's sake. Still, it recognised my 3rd choice for the hung men, firing into the air to scare off the civis, and shooting the US soldiers at the end
Yeah, I saw it too. I didn't
want to do it but there didn't seem a way to bypass. Took a lot of the umph from that moment.

JackEtc

Bought the game off of Amazon on a whim last night and played through it, just finished it this afternoon. Went in after not really enjoying the demo, and after hearing mixed impressions of it.

I was very surprised by it. Really was impressed by how the entire story panned out, it's all pretty crazy. Interested to read the previous pages and see what everyone else thought of it.

El-Suave

I bought the game last week and finished it yesterday. Overall I enjoyed playing it and I appreciate what they tried to do with the story. I also liked the setting a lot - my biggest disappointment comes with the use of sand and sandphysics though. Initially that was pitched as a big part of the game - in the end, it really wasn't very remarkable at all. Still a pretty good game though.

So, I just finished the game after buying it for $25 during the Amazon sale. I've read the last few pages of discussion about the story and I had some questions.

I think I understand the "art" parts of the story, the
ohnoes YUO R TEH REAL KILLAR
portion I could see coming from a mile away.

However, I don't really "get" the part where
they replay the main scenes of the game back. You see Walker interacting with a radio with no battery in it and talking to Konrad, who is in his head? Does that mean that none of the bodies hanging were even alive? Also, were all the soldiers in Walker's imagination? How come they were shooting at him? If they had orders from "Konrad" who is really just a figment of Walker's imagination, where are they getting orders to hold the CIA guys hostage and torture them? Are the CIA guys even real? Why the hell is everyone shooting at me on sight even at the start before I killed anyone? Who are the rebels? Why don't they have a leader if Konrad is imaginary?

A lot of those story scenes didn't make sense to me in light of the ending cinematic that I just watched. I guess I might need to play it a second time to understand it. Or I'm just dumb and don't really understand subtlety/nuance in storytelling, which could also be true. It just felt like a mnightshyamalantwist.jpg without any explanation =/

Edit:
Oh, and the gameplay itself was quite weak, except for shotguns. I didn't really feel like it was engaging, and I felt like I was fighting the controls to be able to do stuff. It also fell into the trope of cover-based shooters where exposing limbs in a "cover" state is basically invincible and if you're out of cover, enemies have super accurate mutant aim and you die out in the open immediately. Also, conveniently placed waist high debris in the distance basically clued me into to every "ambush" situation each time. Sniping was terrible, although it was nice that they put in the one shot, one kill element instead of "1 shot only if it's a head snipe".

I'd say it is probably worth like $5/$10 in the next Steam sale. Thank god I didn't drop $60 on this though, $25 is OK.

So, I just finished the game after buying it for $25 during the Amazon sale. I've read the last few pages of discussion about the story and I had some questions.

they replay the main scenes of the game back. You see Walker interacting with a radio with no battery in it and talking to Konrad, who is in his head? Does that mean that none of the bodies hanging were even alive? Also, were all the soldiers in Walker's imagination? How come they were shooting at him? If they had orders from "Konrad" who is really just a figment of Walker's imagination, where are they getting orders to hold the CIA guys hostage and torture them? Are the CIA guys even real? Why the hell is everyone shooting at me on sight even at the start before I killed anyone? Who are the rebels? Why don't they have a leader if Konrad is imaginary?

A lot of those story scenes didn't make sense to me in light of the ending cinematic that I just watched. I guess I might need to play it a second time to understand it. Or I'm just dumb and don't really understand subtlety/nuance in storytelling, which could also be true. It just felt like a mnightshyamalantwist.jpg without any explanation =/

I felt exactly the same way. The battle preceding the end made no sense to me in that context.

Plissken

All the soldiers you were fighting were real (well, except the sections where Walker is obviously losing his shit and hallucinating). At the beginning, you are fighting insurgents, who have teamed with the CIA to try and get rid of the 33rd. They see you as just another military team, probably part of the 33rd, and attack.

Later, when you come across the military guy on his knees about to get executed, he thinks you're part of the CIA operation, and orders the 33rd to attack you. I'm pretty sure the rest of the time the 33rd are taking orders from the Radioman (why, I dunno), and that's who is ordering them against you the majority of the game. After you take him out, I can only assume they are still trying to kill you because you've wiped most of them out.

Konrad was never alive while you were in Dubai, he was just in Walker's head. You never hear Konrad at all until Walker picks up that radio, all you hear is recorded messages. It's pretty clear that after the Gate incident, Walker snapped and started slowly losing his mind. When you get to the two hanging guys at the freeway; in the end game cutscene they've been dead a long time, and Lugo and Adams just see you standing there, unresponsive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought this from the Amazon sale for $25 and spent about 3 hours playing today. I'm getting into some pretty crazy stuff in the story now, which is cool, but goddamn the shooting is just so dull.

I wish I could skip through these numerous and never-ending shooting snooze-fests to get to the next story bit.

Finally finished it up and wrote my review.

Fairly strong story, but everything else was pretty terrible.

http://duelanalogs.com/reviews/2012/7/6/spec-ops-the-line.html

You listen to the Giant Bombcast, don't you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The insane amount of enemies you murder seems really incongruous with the otherwise serious tone the game seems to be shooting for.

noquarter

I bought the game last week and finished it yesterday. Overall I enjoyed playing it and I appreciate what they tried to do with the story. I also liked the setting a lot - my biggest disappointment comes with the use of sand and sandphysics though. Initially that was pitched as a big part of the game - in the end, it really wasn't very remarkable at all. Still a pretty good game though.
I haven't finished the game yet, but I do like the sand element. It isn't what is was expecting, but the fact the if you throw a grenade it creates a dust cloud that disorients nearby enemies is pretty good.

I'm at Chapter 11 now and so far I have really enjoyed most of the game. I like that a lot of the weapons feel different, even if they are the same class and for the most part enjoy the firefights. The story is really what is keeping me going though. And after The Gate, I really just want to see how it plays out, even though I have a pretty good idea.

It's really a shame if people skip out on this and we don't get more shooters that have decent stories.

Pretty great story. I don't mind that my hand was forced in most cases, as Yager wanted to tell a story, not let you live your myth in Dubai. The details that stack up to the epilogue (
in the scene where the soldiers come to evac Walker, he either wears his own uniform or Konrad's uniform, depending on the subtle decisions the player made during the game
) are also quite cool. Story-wise it was very refreshing, thanks to its cruelty.

Gameplay-wise, it's more or less an Uncharted clone (and as I said previously, it also reminded me of Space Marine a lot), linear, with abundant ammo, pre-set enemies who on harder difficulties deal more damage to you rather than changing their tactics, and some cliches, but I can forgive anything, the game was well worth the money and is worth a second playthrough sometime.

Jharp

So I just finished it, and yeah, it had a cool story. Though the game play was just another cover based metal gears of dude raider boring monotonous stop and pop crap. It was well done, to be sure, but man, how bland.

The narrative was enough to keep me firing through, though, and I really liked it for what it was. Only issue I have is how some of the men acted, and why they were doing what they were doing if
Konrad was dead. Who the hell were they taking their orders from? My initial instinct is that they were simply working together for the sake of the civilians, but if that's the case, then what was with that big interrogator during the Gould seen murdering innocents to get him to talk? That doesn't seem to make any goddamn sense.

Oh, and a few questions regarding choices:
does the game change significantly based on whether or not you rescue Gould or the Civilians? It seemed to me that the white phosphorous bombing as well as the destruction of the water rations were direct results of Gould's interrogation and death.
Also, can you get out of the "test" without killing either man? I had no problem choosing the man on the left for murdering the innocent family of five. Seriously, what kind of test was that? Fuck that guy. I figured I'd get shot if I didn't choose anyways, so I killed him and moved on relatively quickly.

golem

Pretty great story. I don't mind that my hand was forced in most cases, as Yager wanted to tell a story, not let you live your myth in Dubai. The details that stack up to the epilogue (
in the scene where the soldiers come to evac Walker, he either wears his own uniform or Konrad's uniform, depending on the subtle decisions the player made during the game
) are also quite cool. Story-wise it was very refreshing, thanks to its cruelty.

I let Konrad shoot me.. died on the rooftop, didn't get a epilogue, guess I have to replay the last level

So, this is going to sound pretty dumb, but can anybody help me out on Chapter 6?

I'm at the point where the helicopter comes and starts shooting everything from the window (Freebird, move in!) and my only objective is to Run! So I sprint and start following my guys and it looks like we're about to head up a stairway, but I die EVERY TIME I reach the stairway.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried running straight, zigzagging...everything. I'm on my 20th try and I still can't get passed it, lol.

Besides that, everything is fun, so far.

So, this is going to sound pretty dumb, but can anybody help me out on Chapter 6?

Am I doing something wrong? I tried running straight, zigzagging...everything. I'm on my 20th try and I still can't get passed it, lol.

I had that same issue, try lowering your Difficulty to the lowest and try it then. I dont know any other way to be honest.

gdt

I'm at the point where the helicopter comes and starts shooting everything from the window (Freebird, move in!) and my only objective is to Run! So I sprint and start following my guys and it looks like we're about to head up a stairway, but I die EVERY TIME I reach the stairway.

I died twice there. All I did was run a little closer to the stuff on the left that could shield you. Thats about it.

Also, can you get out of the "test"
without killing either man? I had no problem choosing the man on the left for murdering the innocent family of five. Seriously, what kind of test was that? Fuck that guy. I figured I'd get shot if I didn't choose anyways, so I killed him and moved on relatively quickly.

Yes,
you start shooting at the snipers instead. Get behind cover.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Took me 5 hours according to Steam, so probably closer to 6.

The shooting part of the game (80% or more of the time spent playing) couldn't have been more uninspired and just plain boring.

Luckily, the narrative and actual events were interesting enough to keep me playing. I played it over three sessions because I just couldn't take those relentless and boring-ass shooting sections for too long, and needed a break. The pacing was atrocious, in my opinion. At least a lot of the environments were really pretty to look at, I guess. Apocalyptic Dubai sure is an interesting setting.

I liked the story a lot, but even at $25 I feel like it wasn't quite worth it. It would have been a great surprise at $10 in a Steam sale a year or so from now, but I probably would have spoiled myself about the story by then.

Anyway, off to YouTube to see the other variations on the ending, because I can't imagine forcing myself to play through the game, or any of those shooting segments, ever again.

ASFM

Neo Member
Might be a little hard to force myself through FUBAR setting since its pretty fucked, but this game was definitely a small time - big game experience. The story was really well fleshed out and the twist at the end, weather expected or not, was pretty cool. I liked how they DIDN'T give you all the answers, trying to provoke these discussions. Was Konrad on tape or in Walker's head? Were the 33rd REALLY just banding together for civs in the end or bloodthirsty because you killed a million in their ranks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Might be a little hard to force myself through FUBAR setting since its pretty fucked, but this game was definitely a small time - big game experience. The story was really well fleshed out and the twist at the end, weather expected or not, was pretty cool. I liked how they DIDN'T give you all the answers, trying to provoke these discussions. Was Konrad on tape or in Walker's head? Were the 33rd REALLY just banding together for civs in the end or bloodthirsty because you killed a million in their ranks.

Hey dude, spoiler your shit.

Also,
Konrads voice was all in your head. The walkie-talkie you pick up after the white phosphorus event is shown to not have a battery in the end cut scenes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It might help if you told him how to spoiler stuff...

Also, when you think his post is full of spoilers, it helps not to quote the entire damn thing.

Oh wow, didn't know you could
survive the last "battle"

Finished it on FUBAR, now have 27 hrs on this game, just the campaign lol.

So many deaths, such bad checkpointing, but still love it.

A lot of it makes sense on 2nd playthrough, instead of finding holes in the twist I just picked up better on the tiny details.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished it. I'm surprised at how well they managed to pull off the dramatic moments during the second half of the game. Well worth the $25 I spent.

Enco

I was thinking about picking this up but the cover mechanic is really fucking bad.

Half the time I press space the guy just stands next to the cover like a moron. Going from cover to cover also sucks.

smik

The Campaign is one of the best i have played since Uncharted 2 and actually found myself enjoying the narrative alot more than anticapted, Spec Ops deserves so much more as it the campaigned moved along so well and had me and my wife at the edge of our seat, definelty the best ending i have encountered this gen by far, fully satisfied.

The choices you encounter along the campaign are really interesting its not one of those good/bad decisions either, the character progression was rather interesting as Walker & Crew grew more & more aggressive after each segment, the interactions between Lugo & Adam were very memorable and had some down right crazy confrontations -The Gate-.

idk, something in Spec Ops just really clicked with me that very few games do, and i applaud Yager as they did and exceptional job, they deserve the chance for a sequel. sometimes the cover transition when not running werent smooth enough but the gameplay mechanics work really well once you get a grasp, the guns are all different and have different types of kick back to them, the sticky bomb still gets a good laugh out of me every time.

How can i forget...
the music & soundtrack in Spec ops is simply awesome, great choice of music to go along with the theme and smart use of rock tracks during battles, Sand>Dubai>Rock <3. The Campaign clocked in around 7-8 hours on Suicide, and the multiplayer is something im enjoying the hell out of and putting alot of time into ~ only 6 maps though... :( ~. if your on the fence about this, get it, its well worth the purchase as its also very cheap to pickup.

Sleeper hit of 2012.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really don't see how this game is a hit on any level. It plays like something extremely low budget, and the cover mechanics just don't even work a lot of the time.

I liked the narrative a lot, so if they really clicks with a person, I could see how that might shape their opinion, but I'm really not getting the praise this game is finding.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It plays like something extremely low budget, and the cover mechanics just don't even work a lot of the time.

you're going to be a bit more specific if I'm to have any chance of being able to defend the game here

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
you're going to be a bit more specific if I'm to have any chance of being able to defend the game here

The action. Everything about it just felt cheap. From animation, to poor cover controls, to really underwhelming "special effects," to predictable turret sequences, to wave based encounters, etc. It felt like someone with a small budget who wanted to make a TPS, and instead of coming up with anything original they just copied a bunch of games, but couldn't execute on the same level.

The only thing this game deserves to be praised for is its setting and interesting narrative. Neither were particularly memorable in my opinion, though.

If they had halved the body count and added some stealth/avoidance to break things up the game would have been a ton better. As it is, it's just wave after wave of enemies with little respite and it gets a bit repetitive after a while. I guess that fits with the theme of the game but, yeah, it's definitely a drawback.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, that's reasonable. This is the first shooter of it's kind I've played since... well, there was Binary Domain, but I don't really count it. Before that it was Gears 3, so maybe I had a long enough cool-down period to not immediately be disgusted by "oh, another wave of enemies".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, that's reasonable. This is the first shooter of it's kind I've played since... well, there was Binary Domain, but I don't really count it. Before that it was Gears 3, so maybe I had a long enough cool-down period to not immediately be disgusted by "oh, another wave of enemies".

Wait, why don't you count Binary Domain?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
About to pull on ps3 version. Should I get the steam version instead since its half off?

Assuming you have a PC capable of playing games reasonably well, then yeah man go for it. The PC version works perfectly fine. I played it with a controller laid back on the couch and it was great.

Assuming you have a PC capable of playing games reasonably well, then yeah man go for it. The PC version works perfectly fine. I played it with a controller laid back on the couch and it was great.

PS3 version is not the best looking, so yeah I'd go with PC too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, I finally decided to actually play the game after just reading about it and such... and I think knowing the final "twist" lets you see some of the weird inconsistencies in the story.

The problem with
it's all a hallucination stories is that there are times when you - as the audience and through Walker - are given information that would be impossible for you to know. How would you know that after destroying the water tankers that everyone will die in four days? How would you know that at the start of the game, 5 thousand people were alive in Dubai? How do you even know that 47 people were killed during the WP mortar attack? I suppose one explanation is that, because Walker is crazy, he just filled in the gaps... and that these accusations with specific details are meant to shake him free of his delusions, but I have no idea if I should give the writers that much credit. I dunno, maybe I should. (This is definitely a game that could do with a developer commentary anyway).
One other thing is a question of how much of the ending is "real". When you start the game,
you are dumped into the helicopter chase sequence. When you catch up to that moment in the game, Walker hesitates and asks out loud "We've done this before, haven't we?" (or something to that effect). So there's a part of me that wonders if the game ended at the helicopter crash and the rest of the game, from the crash on, is just Walker's dying hallucination. It would be very much in line with the game because the only part of the game where you are actually given a real meaningful choice - shooting Konrad - would actually have never happened. If that's what they intended, I think that's actually pretty clever.

If that's not what they intended however, then
I don't think the ending makes any sense whatsoever. The moment you leave... umm... LMG guy (Anders?) and head to the building to find Konrad('s body), there's no reason why you should be alive at that moment. Why don't the rest of the soldiers come and kill you? How do you get out of there alive (assuming you don't kill yourself)?

Then there are just other bigger questions of the game that don't make sense. We know that
Konrad and all his high ranking officers are dead. So what is the chain of command? Who is giving the orders and why are they trying to kill you? I mean, you could say it's all a series of misunderstandings, but at some point why would the CIA want to use you while the option never occurs to the 33rd? Given that you somehow kill more soldiers than presumably the entire CIA-led insurgency combined, you'd think that they would want to talk to you to convince you that they're not the bad guys. That one guy you pistol whip does say something to that effect, but it's not really convincing in any real manner. The game blames you for everything that goes wrong in Dubai, but you have no choice but to help the CIA... so whose fault is it really?

Then there's the whole "Bioshock" thing about choice or more specifically
the lack of choice. At the very beginning, you are made out to be a spectator. Walker lectures "you" about how you are just an observer who sends cheques to the Red Cross while the soldiers do the real work. And for all the variations in specific situations in the game, the game does the Bioshock thing of forcing you to do what it tells you - from the Mortar attack onward. It's interesting, but it's also strange, because I'm not sure what effect the game is trying to achieve there. Is that a case of us falling into Walker's insanity or are we supposed to be passive observers judging him as we guide him through his actions? Are we supposed to identify with Walker, or are we just helpless observers as he mentioned in the opening narration? If we are helpless, then is the message of the game nihilistic, that as human beings, we are bound to commit acts of atrocities as a matter of human nature? Is the game supposed to shock us? And what happens if it doesn't? Is that our fault?

It feels like it's asking interesting questions, but I don't know if that's intentional or by accident.

One thing I didn't like was the
sudden transformation of Walker and his squad. It really felt like they just turned on a dime from professionals to murderers because of the mortar attack. I'm not sure how else they could have handled it, but it just didn't work for me at all. The fact that you end up murdering civilians at the end (assuming that everything that happens after the crash is real) is just... I dunno, it just seemed extreme for a character that I didn't feel earned his psychosis at that moment. There's no reason why he couldn't have fired warning shots - although to be fair, I didn't try, so maybe that was an option. Either way, there's definitely no reason why he'd go crazy and murder US soldiers like it was nothing.

Finally, a lot of video gamey shit just ruins the experience. And part of it I'm sure comes down to the fact that as a 4-6 hour game, they felt some pressure to make it replayable or artificially lengthen the game or whatever. But, just having swarms of enemies come at you gets tiring at times... and having the stupid enemies come at you (knife guys, shot gun guys) while your buddies yell at you ("Edged weapons expert coming at you!") is just... well, it's like playing the most tiring aspects of an Uncharted all over again. They say there are thousands of 33rd soldiers in Dubai, and it feels like you murdered every single one of them.

Edit: oh yeah, being forced to find collectible garbage in order to get the back story? Kind of dumb and definitely very video gamey. I wish there was a way to just unlock them so that I could listen to them, because I'm not going to hunt for them.
At least the ones where it's Walker commenting on a situation somewhat make sense. But why would the reporter leave his recordings around in the middle of nowhere?(why would he ditch his work at random locations that are also contextually correct?).
That's not to mention the fact that there are tiered enemies (heavies, really?) and that executing an enemy somehow gives you more ammo than just killing him normally (how does that work??). And of course, there's the
turret sequences and the grenade launcher sequence on the trucks where you have infinite ammo
. They bring up cognitive dissonance, but this is where the ludonarrative dissonance rears its ugly head.

There's a balance between making a game and telling a story and the game asks a lot of you in order not to break your suspension of disbelief. You have to play the game but forgive the game for making you feel like playing a game... and well, I don't know if there will ever be a solution to that. Ideally, you'd go through the game and only face a handful of enemies. But you can't sell that game for 60 dollars (or 25 dollars on PC :p) so you're kind of stuck. Maybe someone with name recognition and a large pair of balls will have to be the one that breaks the paradigm of the shooter and make the enemy encounters actually matter instead of forgettable and disposable, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

All of that said, and having played Ghost Recon Future Soldier just a couple of weeks previously, I'm glad that this game had any sort of ambition at all... because it could have been infinitely forgettable otherwise. I do wish that we could get a glimpse of the original vision for the game, because the focus testing made it the game that we got (I'm sure a lot of the video gamey stuff was added because of the focus tests) and maybe in 5 years when everyone has left the developer and no one is worried about burning bridges or losing their jobs, we'll get some information of what this game was really supposed to be like.

I'm glad I did play the game though, even if I had to fight through my tiredness with third person cover based shooters in order to finish it. I hope Yager is given the chance to try this again.

Top Bottom