• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

smr00

Banned
A week is a lot, but, it depends how close you are to one of their "centers." I'm not trying to play, send back, play, send back, repeat, so the turn around time for me--8 days total--isn't as bothersome.
nor am i but the fact remains a lot of games this generation can be beaten within 4-8 hours and the turn around is far too long for those types of games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I take this isnt a staggered release?
The PC version will be out same day right?

THis might be one of those sleeper games i play just cuz its relatively cheap.
I jumped on The Binary Domain wagon when the PC version had little to no hype and i loved it.
Im hoping to be pleasantly surprised by this game too....im going in with low expectations.
If the textures are reasonable res on PC ill be happy, as a UE3 game im assuming modding in higher res textures will be relatively easy so even if the game doesnt have high res textures ill have some fun trying to make an otherwise ugly game look good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was it that bad? It certainly wasn't amazing but I still thought it was a competent romp with a very interesting setting. I appreciate that they seem to be taking visual elements that have become common in the genre and turning them on their head. I'm still up in the air, I suppose.

If they fail to do anything interesting with the game then I might agree, but the demo played well enough and hints at more interesting stuff to come.

Does this sentence actually make sense to anyone? I've read it three times and still don't fully understand.
I know who is in a movie(Chris Reid) that people actually have seen. Chris Reid was in House Party. People have seen House Party. I would say that Kid N Play being in a video game is more interesting than a guy who's in hundreds of video games. I can't make it any more simple than that.

I tried the demo. I think the single player could be pretty cool, a solid TPS.

I'm more concerned about the multiplayer. I never played it so I can't say anything about it, but based on beta impressions and from IGN, it's worrisome. Hopefully they tweaked it and made it better.

I know who is in a movie(Chris Reid) that people actually have seen. Chris Reid was in House Party. People have seen House Party. I would say that Kid N Play being in a video game is more interesting than a guy who's in hundreds of video games. I can't make it any more simple than that.

0383_lqe1.gif

I could easily see the game as being... 6-7 hours maybe. They have been working on it since 2009 I believe. It could even be longer as well as being polished. Sounds fantastic to me.

Edit: Ah, well. There ya go.

This is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness by John Conrad and Apocalypse Now, set in the modern day in a storm ravaged Dubai.

Joseph Conrad. Sorry, that was bugging me. I'm a big fan of the novella.

If this thing does justice to the story the way Coppola did with Apocalypse Now then color me interested.

aegies

icH6tkqNNM1QS.gif

Can you say anymore by any chance...?

But that's a good length. It's acceptable to me. I hate it when a game's only like three or four hours long *COUGHKANEANDLYNCHCALLOFDUTYCOUGH*

I wouldn't really consider it an "adaptation" of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, though it's been a while since I've read/watched either.

I wouldn't really consider it an "adaptation" of Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now, though it's been a while since I've read/watched either.

Really? Whitman and the 2K people have been going on and on about Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now as serious influences (bordering on adaptation).

When I stumbled across the this OT and saw Heart of Darkness referenced and my interest was piqued.
...and just like that I am no longer interested.

Such a shame. I have really wanted to see Heart of Darkness adapted to video games for a long time, even if it is a loosely related as Rand is to Bioshock.

aegies

When I stumbled across the this OT and saw Heart of Darkness referenced and my interest was piqued.

Such a shame. I have really wanted to see Heart of Darkness adapted to video games for a long time, even if it is a loosely related as Rand is to Bioshock.

Don't misunderstand: there's a heavy thematic influence from Heart of Darkness. It's all over. But "adaptation" suggests a closer adherence to the exact trajectory of the novel than Spec Ops follows. I'm not stating that as a negative, I'm just saying.

I read somewhere that Whitman also worked on Bioshock. Is that true?

If this isn't an adaptation of Heart of Darkness, what's with all the HoD/AN talk? Maybe they just meant thematically, though the basic plot details are the same. Protagonist goes searching for a man who has vanished into an unknown area of the world (The Congo/Up the River/Remains of Dubai) and is exposed to the utter madness of humanity.

Don't misunderstand: there's a heavy thematic influence from Heart of Darkness. It's all over. But "adaptation" suggests a closer adherence to the exact trajectory of the novel than Spec Ops follows. I'm not stating that as a negative, I'm just saying.

Oh, I see. I guess you can't talk about whether the story's good or not yet, right?

Edit: So yeah, I guess it's an adaptation how Apocalypse Now was an adaptation... taking the bare plot details and then sketching your own story about the same themes around it.

The description on the vg247 video says:

As well as a great single-player experience, Spec Ops: The line also comes with a decent multiplayer component too!

I'm guessing they liked the campaign then, so there is some hope. It kind of looks like the game SOCOM should have been.

Jtrizzy

I'm pretty much sick of Nolan North being in so many games to be honest. That said, I played the pc demo for this and thought it was good, the setting and atmosphere is different in a good way. Can't see myself paying more that $20 or $30 though.

Any GAFbros getting the PC version? I might get it from GMG from 37.50

I was, but something i loved about the 360 beta form 2 years ago was missing in the demo from this month... I'll wait for the daily deal.

And to top it off I can't find any footage of the 2010 Beta for this game. I'm trying very hard to remember what it was that I liked about it back then... :(

Listening to the guy on Weekend Confirmed, I'm really not sure waft to make of it. The narrative sounds interesting, but they didn't really mention any particularly interesting gameplay.

DieH@rd

Banned
Game had promise from the moment they fist showed it. Im glad that they managed to make it, and preserve focus on deep storyline.

Juding by demo, gameplay is also good.

The writer (Walt Williams) has been talking pretty big about how the story stands out among other military shooters. I really liked the gameplay with some squad elements in the demo, so I hope it all works out. Don't want it to be another case of a writer hamstrung by an AAA production, so his voice is lost in the process by bad narrative design.

ibhX53lZ4ZE1HS.gif

Green Man Gaming $37.50

OOH good deal, bought PC version, after playing the well-optimised Steam demo.

A little miffed have to wait for June 28th to play it here in Europe :p

So, no early impressions yet? Early sales and whatnot?

I have a feeling it won't get great reviews since it's essentially a new IP (I doubt it has a substantial spec ops fanbase) in a saturated genre.

I'm thinking of not looking at any reviews, and just wake up on 29th to play it myself, not colored by reviews. The worst impressions would be "hey guys, it's a typical cover-based shooter with weak story with generic characters, tacked-on MP, sand doesn't play much of a part, developers lied about a good story." :(

Jb

This could be be a great summer shooter. I wasn't a fan of how on the nose all the Heart of Darkness references were in the demo (the baddie's name is Conrad, really?), so hopefully the main games manages to approach that subject with more subtlety.

The writer (Walt Williams) has been talking pretty big about how the story stands out among other military shooters. I really liked the gameplay with some squad elements in the demo, so I hope it all works out. Don't want it to be another case of a writer hamstrung by an AAA production, so his voice is lost in the process by bad narrative design.

ibhX53lZ4ZE1HS.gif

Green Man Gaming $37.50

OOH good deal, bought PC version, after playing the well-optimised Steam demo.

A little miffed have to wait for June 28th to play it here in Europe :p

Walt Williams! I'm at work and was trying to google his Twitter and kept typing in 'Walt Whitman 2K Games'.

simpsons.jpg

waltwhitman.png

theDeeDubs

Finally got around to trying the demo and was surprised how good it was. I like their take on TPS controls (priority targeting, etc). It felt like Gears, but with a little twist. Really dig it. Love his expression when his health is low too. And here I thought I was off the hook with game purchases until August.

AlexBasch

I remember playing that closed beta many moons ago and thinking it was a mediocre third person shooter game, but after the demo (very fun!) I think they kinda improved the game mechanics. Maybe I'll rent it for the Xbox and see if the multiplayer is fun to get it on PC.

Finally got around to trying the demo and was surprised how good it was. I like their take on TPS controls (priority targeting, etc). It felt like Gears, but with a little twist. Really dig it. Love his expression when his health is low too. And here I thought I was off the hook with game purchases until August.

Yeah, I also like they give you 2 options for sprinting. Either tap it once and tap it again to get into cover (Gears style), or hold it which allows for automatically sliding into nearby cover.

Top Bottom