• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

Just want to make sure everyone in this thread knows this is going to be 50% off the PC download version tomorrow (activates on Steam). If anyone was thinking about picking it up today.

Cheers,
Tony

Full disclosure I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon Game Downloads

iNvid02

Something i've learned about the PC release

You need to delete the config folder located in C:\Users\Documents\My Games\SpecOpsTheLine\SRGame each time you boot up the game or suffer poor performance.

People are saying upon first launch it's OK, but after that the performance drops drastically - deleting the config folder before starting is the only way to currently fix this.

2K forums and support don't seem to be too concerned so a patch might be a while yet.

Overdoziz

Banned
Just finished playing the demo. I think the settings is really interesting but gameplay-wise it seems like a generic 3rd-person shooter. Didn't really help that the demo began with an on-rails chopper section either.
Also, my teammates had the annoying tendency to advance forward all the time getting themselves killed. :|

Just want to make sure everyone in this thread knows this is going to be 50% off the PC download version tomorrow (activates on Steam). If anyone was thinking about picking it up today.

Cheers,
Tony

This is honestly the best and only way to get my attention when it comes to advertising: do it on GAF and be honest about it. Wow.

ArjanN

Haha, very interesting playing this and the Walking Dead episode 2 at the same time, both filled with impossible choices that effectively try to make you feel bad.

Amazing...just fucking brilliant. OK, gameplay is standard and all but everything else, and I mean everything (even loading screens), are fucking awesome. Funny, I heard this game was super short so I was thinking it wasn't worth the money. I beat it in 5 hours on hard and I think it was worth every penny.

This game hits like truck if you let it grab you. Twist be damned, the whole ride (once things go to shit) had me hooked. The big mid game changer is so well done. How many of those aerial "you control a camera and rain death from above" moments are in games now days? How many treat the scenario likes it's some fucking arcade high score game? This game's sequence shows how utterly silly those other games have let themselves become. I mean, the set up and overall payoff is amazing.
Going through battle and killing tons of people with no repercussions has been something I've thought there was no solution to. I mean, how do you make a game fun with no one to use your toys on? Spec Ops completely solves this by making the enemy something we know. It's amazing how well the enemy mid battle yelling blends in so perfectly with your own squad. It's truly just a cluster fuck of a scenario. I feel for BOTH sides.

No game has hit me this hard in a long while. I mean, things go to absolute shit in this and it FEELS like it. I think the length of the game helps this. This subject matter needs to hit hard and not drag you on for prolonged "game" moments just to pad the length.

Long story short, I never thought I'd consider something so close to a dude bro shooter would be art. Spec Ops truly is up there with masterpiece games like Portal and Ico. Fucking amazing. Also, I'm so glad that the "war game that used the Bjork song" turned out good lol. Good shit, team at Yager.

IMO that rain death from above scene was very effective in the first Modern Warfare, and in that it was clearly meant to be chilling in how detached it was. You're right that in most of the games after it, they failed to get that point and just made it a minigame where you make stuff go boom.

You need to delete the config folder located in C:\Users\Documents\My Games\SpecOpsTheLine\SRGame each time you boot up the game or suffer poor performance.

People are saying upon first launch it's OK, but after that the performance drops drastically - deleting the config folder before starting is the only way to currently fix this.

2K forums and support don't seem to be too concerned so a patch might be a while yet.

I'm not having any problems on PC.

This is honestly the best and only way to get my attention when it comes to advertising: do it on GAF and be honest about it. Wow.

only way? no. did you miss the Amazon (July) Sale Thread?

Also, Spec Ops is turning out to be one of those games people will look back on and call a classic from our generation, so many layers that are waiting to be analyzed and unraveled in this decent story. You heard it here first, folks.

Sojgat

Wow, fucking amazing. That campaign had more imaginative ideas and encounters than just about any shooter I've played, well........... this gen. The combat is a bit clunky but you eventually get used to it, and the game just keeps showing you new things all the way to the end. Everything that COD has tried to do or pretended to do with it's SP campaigns over the years The Line actually does. I honestly didn't think this would be one of my favourite games this generation when I started playing tonight, I don't know if it “Set My Brain On Fire” but it might have come close. Go buy this game, the team who made it deserve support for making this thing, and I want to see what else they can come up with.

Smokey

Seems like a solid game from the reviews in OP. Will pick this up for PC soon.

only way? no. did you miss the Amazon (July) Sale Thread?

Also, Spec Ops is turning out to be one of those games people will look back on and call a classic from our generation, so many layers that are waiting to be analyzed and unraveled in this decent story. You heard it here first, folks.

bold words

I'm not having any problems on PC.
Same here. I was also impressed with the auto-detection choosing the right video/graphics settings. All I ended up tweaking was the gamepad sensitivities.

Zero problems to report short of braindead AI on occasion. Running Windows 7 64bit/dual Radeon 6950s if that matters.

AEREC

Thanks...first time I played the demo and it ran great...tried the demo again earlier today and it ran like shit so I decided I was going to pass on it.

Then I saw this post and deleted that folder and it's back to running great again. Now Im going to pick it up in the Amazon sale tomorrow. Still annoying but for half off the game I can live with it until they get a patch out (if it ever comes out).

I was going to give this game a writeup since I finished it last night, but I can't say I disagree with anything in the Kotaku review here.

And for the love of all things good avoid the GameTrailers review. Its phoned in and has all their usual sensitivity (read: none) for spoilers.

I'm glad I played it, and will play it again but I think I had decent expectations going in. I was assuming it was going to be similar to Medal of Honor: ie. a short campaign that's probably not worth full price to most, that sticks to genre conventions for gameplay (MOH=COD, SpecOps=Gears) while offering up something different in terms of narrative and objectives, and has a multiplayer mode nobody will be playing in a month.

hlhbk

Couple questions for the PC users:

1. Any way to get rid of all of the logs in the beginning that take 20 seconds to go through?

2. Any way to enable SGSSAA? How big of a performance hit if you do?

3. I am guessing KB/mouse is the best way to go?

Drewfonse

Cheers,
Tony

Any 360 deals incoming?

Sojgat

Just finished my 2nd playthrough, this time on Suicide Run difficulty. I don't know if it's just because I've become more proficient with the controls, but I'm really enjoying the combat a lot more this time. The cover system is still fiddly but the aiming on default is perfect. I think this game actually has better combat than it's being given credit for. Now that I'm using all the grenade types (this game has a designated cancel throw command, awesome), holding the squad order button down to make targets behind cover visible, and going for headshots (which gives you a tiny bit of slow motion) I'm finding the combat challenging in just the right way. Having more fun with this than I did with the Gears 3 campaign. Still haven't touched the MP.

DagsJT

Oh dear. Got to a point in chapter 2, the game crashes saying about a fatal error and files missing. Tried to load the game again and get the same error. Nice.

specops.jpg

Oh, and everytime it crashes, it leaves a 1GB crash dump log. Great.

gabbo

I'm glad I played it, and will play it again but I think I had decent expectations going in. I was assuming it was going to be similar to Medal of Honor: ie. a short campaign that's probably not worth full price to most, that sticks to genre conventions for gameplay (MOH=COD, SpecOps=Gears) while offering up something different in terms of narrative and objectives, and has a multiplayer mode nobody will be playing in a month.
And did it surpass your assumptions?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished. Gameplay was exceptionally average and uninspired. Story had a lot of potential and good ideas, but failed to deliver on my expectations.

The idea of post traumatic stress and hallucinations is a great theme to play with in an interactive medium, with a lot of potential. Spec Ops doesn't take advantage of this. The illusion of moral choices and the 'twist' were too disconnected from the act of playing for me to feel they had any weight.

It's hard for me to give a shit about one soldier's bad decision to keep pushing forward when I, the player, am given no option but to do so. I feel, in hindsight, the twist regresses the latter half of the game into "crazy American soldier's murder adventure", and though I understand this was the point, I don't feel it delivered the impact intended.

Pretty disappointed given the reviews and responses I've read from a lot of people.

Anybody playing the multiplayer? Any impressions?
Seriously no one will answer this question and I am convinced that of everyone here who has it on PC no one can either get the game to work or get the multiplayer to work otherwise they would have posted about it already.

Any of you using SMAA injector with this? Performance how is it?
GTX 470, 1080p, SMAA, getting 60FPS most of the time whilst using that delete folders trick before starting the game that invidious mentioned.

PC Users: Do that folder delete trick before you start the game to massively improve performance, I went from a fluctuating framerate to a pretty much locked 60FPS that way.

segarr

Finished it last night. Probably is one of my favorite games of the year so far. It just kept getting better the more I played. I think this will become something of a cult classic.

Horse Armour said:
PC Users: Do that folder delete trick before you start the game to massively improve performance, I went from a fluctuating framerate to a pretty much locked 60FPS that way.
I've played through the game to completion restarting multiple times and have never had to do this. I've had a locked 60fps the whole way through. Curious what causes the issue....

Heart Attack said:
This game is extremely average. I'm wondering why the hell did people were praising it.
Gameplay wise? There's no question. It's about as vanilla a third person shooter as there is.

That having been said, it's refreshing as hell to play a shooter that has a story the developer actually took the time to give a shit about. If an Apocalypse Now type yarn is your thing, you're really in for a treat with Spec Ops The Line. The game doesn't make a great first impression as you'll feel like you're playing any standard military shooter with typical dudebro military commentary but if you're willing to give the game the time, the second half and especially the last third are really where it rewards your patience. You'll have to make some key decisions about how to progress, who lives or dies and how to get out of some sticky situations that will have you thinking about the consequences of war. The story actually wraps some real context around all of the murder that we usually take for granted in these games. It's not deep or as thought provoking as something like Apocalypse Now but the fact that it's able to get you really thinking about what you're doing and why - is an achievement in a medium and genre where these things are at a premium. The ending(s) in particular is fantastic. It really pays off all of the effort and again allows you to choose how things play out (for better or worse).

It's not perfect but the praise is coming from the fact that the game tries to do something more. It doesn't always succeed but it's commendable.

gdt

What folder do I have to delete again? And do I delete the whole thing or just the files inside?

What folder do I have to delete again? And do I delete the whole thing or just the files inside?
Can delete the folder or the files but it's more convenient to delete the folder. Look for invidious' post on this page for the folder location.

And did it surpass your assumptions?
Yeah it did.

As a shooter it doesn't handle movement and firing as well as Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, enemy and ally AI can be braindead at times, enemy types are traditional and gamey, and many encounters throw so damn many bodies at you that shooter fatigue can begin to creep up pretty early on, but...

The combination of quality voicework, the breakdown of your unit's original happy-go-lucky but disciplined attitude as they are forced into darker and murkier situations, the contrast between Dubai's vibrant luxury and its savage post-apocalyptic ruin, and the mystery that starts to come together as you collect intel does have a real effect on the tone and drives you forward. Its that maddening inertia that keeps moving you from one area to the next, forced by necessity or drive to keep gunning down seemingly endless amounts of personnel until you finally reach your goal.

I wish the game had more nuance and subtlety, and gave more time and space for certain story notes to sink in, but its the nature of this war machine that you're always forced to keep moving forward, keep attacking and keep searching for what the hell is going on without reprieve, because if you stopped...

At the end of the day I don't think it accomplished exactly what the developers and writers were going for, but it was a solid attempt and a great experiment to learn from. I applaud 2K games for taking the risk here.

To quote another bit from that Kotaku review:

It is a rare military video game that actually has something to say about war. Most games of this ilk are content to simply throw players into a simulation of battle, crank up a sniper mission, make a few blasé statements about trusting the men by your side more than any government, and call it a day. But Spec Ops: The Line is unafraid to well and truly step outside of the bounds of that traditional shooter framework. While it doesn't always nail the execution (and at times really flubs it), it is a work worthy of discussion, and worth your time. I would be glad to see more big-budget developers and publishers take risks like Yager and 2K did with this game. Hopefully at some point, "risky" games will feel actually risky, instead of merely interesting. But for now, I'll take interesting.

and

And yet when the closing credits rolled, I found myself thinking, wondering, analyzing. I wanted to talk to people about it, I was engaged and invested. For that alone, Spec Ops: The Line is worthy of your time.

If Bioshock had never come out, this game could've taken it place. But in a post-Bioshock world this is just another deconstructive riff on a genre and not necessarily one that takes us to a whole new level. But for what its worth I'm glad I took the ride, even at full price.

Cheers,
Tony

Well, I like this post and the nature of how it is written. Thanks for the honesty!

clear31

I bought this game due to all the recommendations in this thread. I just want a solid story and that seems to be what everyone is saying this has.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Having seen the endings, the only thing I'm disappointed about is the fact that your choices in the rest of the game don't seem to matter up until that point. I'm not sure what they could have done to make it all connect together though.

KlotePino

Finished. Gameplay was exceptionally average and uninspired. Story had a lot of potential and good ideas, but failed to deliver on my expectations.

The idea of post traumatic stress and hallucinations is a great theme to play with in an interactive medium, with a lot of potential. Spec Ops doesn't take advantage of this. The illusion of moral choices and the 'twist' were too disconnected from the act of playing for me to feel they had any weight.

It's hard for me to give a shit about one soldier's bad decision to keep pushing forward when I, the player, am given no option but to do so. I feel, in hindsight, the twist regresses the latter half of the game into "crazy American soldier's murder adventure", and though I understand this was the point, I don't feel it delivered the impact intended.

Pretty disappointed given the reviews and responses I've read from a lot of people.

I really liked the game's story but would have to agree that despite the illusion of choice they attempt to give you I never felt like it actually impacted the story. I think they should have just given the player two choices that were both fucked but at least you'd have had a choice in the matter and might have progressed more in line with Walker.

I actually didn't mind the gameplay that much, it wasn't anything special but the scarcity of ammo made it interesting and the guns felt pretty decent. I definitely think that if their design had been a little more inspired the game would have been a bigger hit.

Unlike some other people in this thread I had no problems with the PC port at all and loved how smooth it ran. I think they really did some special stuff with the artstyle giving every area some distinct look and color toning.

hlhbk

FYI there is a way to increase the FOV and make it so the game is full screen at 4x3 and 16x10 resolutions. Also at the link below it tells you how to get rid of the intro movies that take 30 seconds every time.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Spec_Ops:_The_Line

You can also enable FXAA if you have an nvidia card from the control panel and it makes a world of difference.

I have verified all of the above work prior to posting.

legacyzero

Banned
GTX 470, 1080p, SMAA, getting 60FPS most of the time whilst using that delete folders trick before starting the game that invidious mentioned.

wait wait.

Folder delete trick? What does that mean? Can somebody quote the post that explains this? My FPS is all over the place.

I'm running an ATI 4890

Duxxy3

Not justperformance for me but the mouse is very wonky after closing out the game and opening it up again. Deleting the folder helped so much that i actually made a .bat file to make it easy for me.

legacyzero

Banned

Damn, I was wondering why my first time playing was so awesomely performing, then utter shit the next couple times. I will try this.

hlhbk

wait wait.

Folder delete trick? What does that mean? Can somebody quote the post that explains this? My FPS is all over the place.

I'm running an ATI 4890

Delete the config folder for the game under your my documents/my games folder. Until it is fixed you have to do this each and every time you start the game. To give you an idea my game ran at 60 FPS with everything up and FXAA turned on at 1920x1200 the first time I went through the opening scene, and the next time I was in the mid 30's fps.

legacyzero

Banned
Confirmed. It works.

Deleted the folder. Ran the game. Back to 60fps on the dot.

Perhaps that should go in the OP if it's not already there.

legacyzero

Banned
The deal on Amazon, and Gaf's impression propelled me to buy this game. My poor wallet. :'-(
Anybody on the fence about this game? I just posted my impressions so far in the Amazon thread:

I was very reluctant to buy Spec Ops at first.

But then I jumped in. The game is getting better and better by the minute. Its really sucking me in.

The game (just minutes ago) Just put me into a situation where I had no choice but to act, and the outcome left me mortified.

The last time I felt that mortified because of a game was "No Russian" from Modern Warfare 2.

Well worth the $25 so far.

Duxxy3

Anybody on the fence about this game? I just posted my impressions so far in the Amazon thread:

I was very reluctant to buy Spec Ops at first.

But then I jumped in. The game is getting better and better by the minute. Its really sucking me in.

The game (just minutes ago) Just put me into a situation where I had no choice but to act, and the outcome left me mortified.

The last time I felt that mortified because of a game was "No Russian" from Modern Warfare 2.

Well worth the $25 so far.

Definitely well worth it. I think what is putting people off is that absolutely terrible, generic, name.

Top Bottom