• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

I went and got this today, I hope it's as good as some people have been saying.

Me too. Ordered off Amazon and waiting for it to arrive. Will be the first retail game I've played in ages, so as someone who thinks most video game stories are crap I'm hoping it lives up to expectations.

S1kkZ

Me too. Ordered off Amazon and waiting for it to arrive. Will be the first retail game I've played in ages, so as someone who thinks most video game stories are crap I'm hoping it lives up to expectations.

give the game a bit of time, since its starts as every other "bro" shooter. but after the first level, it begins to change.

I'd highly recommend to start on Suicide Run difficulty, especially on PC.

While the story's getting really good with all the twists, Spec Ops is great fun on the combat. Don't get stuck on cover, guns sound great, no bullet sponges, but sand stuff is not as much although the effects are excellent. Walker is getting angrier on the reloads and executions.

Advice on enemies writhing around near death, just let them then they'll give up the ammo. Sometimes I'm tempted to execute, when low on ammo during combat, but afterwards just let them suffer so don't feel bad on my conscience (because the executions aren't mercy-kills anymore in Chapter 5).

Nice detail is you put out the candles when you step over them in Chapter 4 "Refuge".

Level progression in Chapter 5 where you're going down with the toppled buildings like Cloverfield is amazing. Gotta give credit to the level designers for that for making it feel like a real big place instead of a short level, then cutscene, then next level (Max Payne 3).
ir4s2SRdhu3oG.jpg

While it's not the most detailed game, got some great lighting.
iR8VzcKK6xSty.jpg

Long neck for the lulz
i8ilSOL6A04dS.jpg

Since Half Life 2, I've loved menu screens adapting to level progression.
ibsxZQFnumjJzV.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh man, played an hour or two and got past a few set pieces. Like the shooting but man the game stutters in sections like mad on the PS3. Hope the game starts to run better later on.
Not surprising. The demo was far from smooth.

Based on the Giant Bomb Quicklook the 360 isn't much better (loads of screen tearing and drops there).

It's smooth on my PC, but the PC version has its own set of problems. When it ups and running smoothly at 60 fps it DOES look pretty nice. I feel like the art really requires a high resolution and some decent AA to look nice, though.

S1kkZ

Uhh, I don't think so. There is plenty of tearing on 360.

There was tearing in the demo and it's very clearly present in the Giant Bomb Quicklook.

like i said: nope. just finished it and never noticed any tearing. only framedrops/bit of slowdown in heavy shootouts. and i am really sensitive when it comes to tearing.

AEREC

Man...so tempted to get this game..if I get it off greenmangaming (UK based) will I have any problems putting in the code on my US steam account?

schnarf

Finished this on the PC last night. Was very impressed with the game. The story was what hooked me, but I think I was most impressed by the level design and color palette.

The graphics on the PC were rather impressive, some really stunning vistas and highly detailed environments, not to mention the visual wear and tear that happens to your squad.

After playing the demo I had all but written the game off, as the start of the game is easily the least interesting part. Really glad I took a chance with it. Took me about 9 hours to finish on the hard difficulty, and I will probably replay it (something I rarely do with games).

Definitely worth checking out.

dark10x

EagleEyes

dark10x

Digital Foundry also disagrees with you. Why are you calling somebody out that has actually played that version and you haven't? Doesn't make alot of sense.
I've played the demo, though, and you can see it in that video. I can clearly see that tearing is present.

That said, I mistakenly implied that it occurs frequently when that is not the case. There absolutely IS screen tearing in the game, however, that much cannot be denied.

S1kkZ

Not sensitive enough, then, as it IS there.

Watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8jJJzWQVdM&feature=player_detailpage#t=431s

You can definitely see tearing there. Perhaps "loads" was a bit harsh, but it's definitely present. The game runs worse than your average UE3 title on 360.

i just replayed that level, its their encoding. the game runs much smoother than in the video.
only when you shoot the upper glas (with the snipers) and the sand comes down, there is some tearing.

EagleEyes

I've played the demo, though, and you can see it in that video. I can clearly see that tearing is present.
Its barely there in the demo. Df says that the 360 version has a better framerate, less tearing and is also the only console version that has SSAO.

dark10x

Its barely there in the demo. Df says that the 360 version has a better framerate, less tearing and is also the only console version that has SSAO.
I never suggested anything else. The PS3 version runs like shit.

I'm playing on PC, though, where it's smooth provided you delete your config file every.single.time you boot the game.

i just replayed that level, its their encoding. the game runs much smoother than in the video.
only when you shoot the upper glas (with the snipers) and the sand comes down, there is some tearing.
The sand from the glass was what I was referring to.

EagleEyes

I never suggested anything else. The PS3 version runs like shit.

I'm playing on PC, though, where it's smooth provided you delete your config file every.single.time you boot the game.

The sand from the glass was what I was referring to.
No you suggested there is plenty of tearing on the 360 version and there clearly is not. Like I said, doesn't make a whole lot of sense calling somebody out that actually has that version and you don't.

dark10x

No you suggested there is plenty of tearing on the 360 version and there clearly is not. Like I said, doesn't make a whole lot of sense calling somebody out that actually has that version and you don't.
He claimed there was NO tearing, which is not true.

Whether I own that version or not is irrelevant, really.

zlatko

Banned
How's the online MP now compared to when the beta was happening?

Lag?
Easy to find games?
Weapon balance?
# of maps?

llehuty

Here is a spanish interview with the Level Designer of the game. (It starts around the 10 min. mark)

I translated (with my awful skills) some of the interesting parts.

The game has been 3 years and a half in production.
The intention was to create a war game with a moral tone, showing the horrors of the war. Recently, war games glorify the war, glorify the violence. Violence in games is entertaining, but that doesn't mean that it is enetertaining in real life. This is the kind of message we want to transmit with Spec Ops: The Line.

At the begining we trick the players into thinking they are playing another classical war shooter. We want them to feel comfortable with that and then throw in their faces the consecuences of their acts. They probably have been playing war games for years, but they have never faced the consecuences of their acts. They finished one mision and then jumped into the next one without consecuences.

Some of the decisions you make through the game, that provoke changes in the short term, with immediate consecuences, other in the long term, some of them will be mentioned by your squadron members. We want the player to feel part of the story, that he has defined the story, although the story is predefined since the begining.

I personally believe that the player is going to feel bad at the end of the game. Usually in this type of games you feel like a hero at the end, but here is different.

Another important thing is character progression. When the squadron goes through certain tough experiences, it will change their personality, becoming someone that they didn't know they were. The player will become the fourth member of the squadron and will have to make his own conclusions about all the things that have happened to the sqaudron members.

They didn't like the game in the Arab Emirates. The moment it was anounced, the official web was banned there. We never wanted to create controversy, we chose Dubai because it is fascinating. A city that exists in the middle of the desert!

smik

this is a nice hidden gem and terribly underated game weird it lauch so silently.
Enjoying the gameplay Spec ops has to offer, once you get the hang of the controls everything feels better.

Im loving the hell out of the multiplayer

atm there is a very small but solid friendly community brewing online, really just wish Yager launched it with more than 6 maps, a solid 10 maps would have kept SO:TL MP going so much more longer, heres hoping for they throw in some MP maps to go along with the Co-op DLC.

Does the pc version support the xbox controller?
Yes but unfortunately it doesn't turn off the 360 button prompts when using M&K so you'll have to unplug/disconnect your 360 controller if you don't want the 360 button prompts onscreen. It's 2012, if a game uses the 360 controller it should automatically change the onscreen buttons to the M&K if you're using that instead.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Thanks for the info re the contoller, guys. I have no interest in the mp and its nice to be able to switch to a contoller after using a m/k all day at work. I'll definitely be picking this game up during the Amazon sale.

Beat it, fun game. I don't want to say the gameplay is average, but it's definitely standard. Absolutely nothing special about it and no glaring flaws, so there's nothing much to say about it. But I really love my stop and pop so it was a nice, short, well-made romp. Even though the whole sand dynamic amounts to almost nothing gameplay-wise, the setting is going to stick with me, and the game really sells how big of an ordeal this was for the characters. I was pretty into it.

Sojgat

I'm about 4 hrs into the campaign and just wanted to share my thoughts. The atmosphere in this game is fucking great. The pulsing electric guitar score and constantly changing neon color palate evoke an awesome John Carpenter vibe more succesfully than I have ever experienced in a video game (and many have tried). The writing and voice acting are great, and the ways in which your squad's dialogue reacts to the different things you're doing is probably some of the best I've seen. The typical linearity for this kind of TPS is almost rendered a non-issue here by how thoroughly engaging the narrative is, and the clip at which it moves.

The thing letting the whole experience down is the gameplay. The encounter design is actually pretty good and enemies can be quite aggressive, which is great, weapons feel good to fire and the reload animations are nice. The cover system however, is clumsy (sometimes very much so, due to how the camera works when you aren't aiming your weapon or moving) and would have benefited immensely from assigning a cornering command while you're in cover. It's not a deal breaker, but if you've played Gears or even Binary Domain then you've played much better.

Overall I think (so far) the game is excellent. If every military shooter was as ambitious with it's narrative as this one, then I wouldn't have such a problem with there being so many of them.

Bob White

Amazing...just fucking brilliant. OK, gameplay is standard and all but everything else, and I mean everything (even loading screens), are fucking awesome. Funny, I heard this game was super short so I was thinking it wasn't worth the money. I beat it in 5 hours on hard and I think it was worth every penny.

This game hits like truck if you let it grab you. Twist be damned, the whole ride (once things go to shit) had me hooked. The big mid game changer is so well done. How many of those aerial "you control a camera and rain death from above" moments are in games now days? How many treat the scenario likes it's some fucking arcade high score game? This game's sequence shows how utterly silly those other games have let themselves become. I mean, the set up and overall payoff is amazing.

Going through battle and killing tons of people with no repercussions has been something I've thought there was no solution to. I mean, how do you make a game fun with no one to use your toys on? Spec Ops completely solves this by making the enemy something we know. It's amazing how well the enemy mid battle yelling blends in so perfectly with your own squad. It's truly just a cluster fuck of a scenario. I feel for BOTH sides.

No game has hit me this hard in a long while. I mean, things go to absolute shit in this and it FEELS like it. I think the length of the game helps this. This subject matter needs to hit hard and not drag you on for prolonged "game" moments just to pad the length.

Long story short, I never thought I'd consider something so close to a dude bro shooter would be art. Spec Ops truly is up there with masterpiece games like Portal and Ico. Fucking amazing. Also, I'm so glad that the "war game that used the Bjork song" turned out good lol. Good shit, team at Yager.

I just finished it myself.. took me 11 hours on "Suicide mission" difficulty.

Parts of this game were really heavy..

I'm still thinking about some of the imagery..

Top Bottom