• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spec Ops: The Line |OT| Apocalypse Whenever - Starring Nolan North

zorbsie

Was worried this game would end up being mediocre. But these reviews have me very intrigued. Might have to drop by the game store today and pick up a copy.

dreamfall

The reviews really suggest that the narrative is completely engaging. I'm happy that the game is getting good reviews; even the demo seemed to express that the campaign was going to feel complex and utterly depressing. Will give it a whirl, perhaps to see how it plays out.

Xander51

I too am encouraged by the reviews. This is an interesting direction for a cover-based shooter. Hopefully it pays off for them.

From the reviews, the thing that interested me the most (the narrative) seems to be good. And since I can get for PC at around 30€, I'm going to pre-order it.

Picked it up last night on PC from Green Man Gaming..

Couldn't say "no" for $37

I'm a sucker for Nolan north and a good narrative.

I hate when embargoes lift on the actual release day. Total horseshit. Seems like a lame attempt to cash in on spontaneous, uninformed consumers. Especially when you have a developer with an unproven track-record.

Alright, I take it back. I didn't realize that the reviews would be up this morning and they look pretty decent. I may have to check this one out!

zorbsie

Bit of a red flag for me in the IGN review. They state that the campaign is 6 hours long and the MP isn't worth playing. $60 for 6 hour campaign? Sorry Yager, I'll wait for the bomba price.

You my friend, are doing it wrong.

Hahahaha, I've read the actual novella and seen the movie. I was just lazily re-acquainting myself.

The scores are really good, good enough that I will pick it up today and not feel guilty for not using the gift card!

I'll update the OP with the reviews.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It'd be great if we had this new wave of post-macho shooters where they're a little more introspective about your character's in-game actions and tackling the narrative dissonance found in such games like Uncharted where in cutscenes you come off as a good guy but really you're a smirking mass murderer psychopath in gameplay. Far Cry 2 was a good start, too.
Well, that sort of thing has already been taking place in last two Uncharted games. It seems to be a major focus here however.

charmed699

Neo Member
Any co-op in this?

The narrative focus has me interested.

Don't think so. Or at least I didn't find any options to play it on co-op. Just the multi-player mode.

Played it for review and really enjoyed it. Felt quite different when compared to the many shooters out there.

Don't think so. Or at least I didn't find any options to play it on co-op. Just the multi-player mode.

Played it for review and really enjoyed it. Felt quite different when compared to the many shooters out there.
Ahh OK, good to know. It means if I pick this up it'll be the PC version, assuming it supports an xbox controller.

codhand

Hahahaha, I've read the actual novella and seen the movie. I was just lazily re-acquainting myself.

Cool, yeah, like many I'm a huge fan of Apocalypse Now as well as Heart of Darkness as well as Hearts of Darkness. The mention of the latter on Weekend Confirmed really sealed the deal for me, the guy, (Davis) was just very humble, and seemed to thoroughly get it.

I think on weekend confirmed they said that there is going to be 2 player co-op dlc coming out soon. Not sure if it is going to be priced or not though.
Well that complicates things :)

PC for comfy couch single player awesomeness and Xbox for co-op is how I usually go about things. May have to wait on this until I can hear more about the co-op and whether it'll be worthwhile.

Yeah, I'm definitely tempted but will more than likely wait for a price drop. With so much good stuff in my backlog to keep me busy, it's even harder to justify this as an immediate purchase.

smr00

Banned
Yeah, I'm definitely tempted but will more than likely wait for a price drop. With so much good stuff in my backlog to keep me busy, it's even harder to justify this as an immediate purchase.
Yeah the super short campaign is making me want to wait for a price drop but i keep hearing mixed things about Spider-Man so i might just pick up Spec Ops and cancel my paid off spider-man pre-order later today.

Dammit, bought PC version for my laptop, doesnt work. starts up but screen is black and I can hear music in the background

tried downloading and installing latest nvidia drivers, restarted computer same thing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing on PC. Performance seems worse than the demo with lots of slowdown occurring when particles are on screen. Very odd.

Also, aside from FXAA, I see no other way to force any proper AA. nVidia Inspector has an entry for this game but none of the compatibility flags work. :\

OK so I used steam to verify local cache says its fine, still same problem - black screen, hear music just no visuals.

man, this is the first game in years that bought for steam and just plain doesn't work. I had some issues with witcher 2 and deus ex until patched but at least I could play them. I must have bought 50 games past year or so based on sales without a single problem.

asus 460M based laptop quad core

Zabuza

Banned
I'm eating crow right now. After hating the demo I think I'll give it another go. I'm a big Apoc Now and Heart of Darkness fan.

Playing on PC. Performance seems worse than the demo with lots of slowdown occurring when particles are on screen. Very odd.

Also, aside from FXAA, I see no other way to force any proper AA. nVidia Inspector has an entry for this game but none of the compatibility flags work. :\

what drivers are you using?

I upgraded to 301.42, game cant be played - screen is black despite music in background (presumably menu)

ok I got game working, strangely I had to install the drivers a second time before it worked properly.

dark - do you have the latest drivers? now game works, particles seem fine using latest driver at 1920x1280 with high settings, vsync on, laptop 460 M

I don't understand why they can't do reviews for games before release. I would of pre-ordered this yesterday If I knew the reviews were going to be good. But because they decided to wait, I can wait too, for a sale. Sucks Redbox doesn't have it right now.

smr00

Banned
Ended up passing on Spider-Man after watching countless videos, it just looked incredibly disorienting and not that fun.

I hesitated twice while in best buy picking it up but the game actually gets pretty damn good after what you played in the demo, the demo was like Dead Risings and it absolutely does this game 0 justice and i ended up beating it around 4 and a half hours without rushing on normal and collected all intel (had to replay 2 stages) so i don't know where these 6 hour number things are coming from unless they were playing on super hard and died 900 times. I could of easily beat it under 4 hours if i didn't take my time looking for intel.

Super fun and interesting game, was it worth $60? if you are into the multiplayer i guess but i had BB gift cards from my b-day so i didn't mind breaking my rule of never paying full retail for a 4-6 hour game, haven't touched the MP and probably won't but i really enjoyed the SP.

Zabuza

Banned
Ended up passing on Spider-Man after watching countless videos, it just looked incredibly disorienting and not that fun.

I hesitated twice while in best buy picking it up but the game actually gets pretty damn good after what you played in the demo, the demo was like Dead Risings and it absolutely does this game 0 justice and i ended up beating it around 4 and a half hours without rushing on normal and collected all intel (had to replay 2 stages) so i don't know where these 6 hour number things are coming from unless they were playing on super hard and died 900 times. I could of easily beat it under 4 hours if i didn't take my time looking for intel.

Super fun and interesting game, was it worth $60? if you are into the multiplayer i guess but i had BB gift cards from my b-day so i didn't mind breaking my rule of never paying full retail for a 4-6 hour game, haven't touched the MP and probably won't but i really enjoyed the SP.

rental

Zabuza

Banned
If you have gamefly or a rental store i would suggest it.

If you don't, have $60 to blow and are looking forward to it and are interested in multiplayer i say buy it, otherwise wait for the inevitable $29-39 sale.

$60 bucks is something I can afford to spend on a game. But I refuse to buy a 4 hour game at full price. Unless the multiplayer is godlike.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I'm digging it so far. The story is interesting, and it's different than these usual rah-rah bro shooters.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing.
How's the image quality on consoles? Yeah, I should probably play the demo, but I'd rather buy the game at this point.

Top Bottom