• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculating on Nintendo's WiiU software release strategy in 2014

Are you sure Bayo 2 is so close? I really expect it in the end of 2014. I'm sure they're going for as much polish as possible. It's a very important prestige title. It's not going to sell Mario numbers but it draws attention of people previously not interested in Nintendo.

well its looking pretty damn polished already and its been in development on and off for like 3 years now, it will be an early title

Phanservice

Neo Member
2014 has great games im looking forward to.

Most exited to play X. mario kart multiplayer will be fun, super smash bros and bayonetta 2 will be awesome. I doubt we will get the new zelda in 2014 but we'll see. I think Nintendo is going to make zelda a 2015 title while focusing on SMT x Fire Emblem, Yarn Yoshi, and the next wave of casual titles for 2014.

AniHawk

q1 2014:
dkc tf

q2 2014:
mario kart 8
wii sports club retail release

q3 2014:
yarn yoshi
bayonetta 2

q4 2014:
smash bros.
x
sega racing 3 (likely the third sonic game)

zelda and smt x fe are probably 2015 games. we haven't seen footage of smt x fe yet. not even a screenshot. same with zelda.

animal crossing probably got greenlit hard after the success of new leaf. i think we'll see it sooner than later.

missing franchises: kirby, metroid, star fox. star fox hasn't seen a console release in about a decade. metroid is on a cooldown while sakamoto works on more profitable things like rhythm tengoku. kirby is probably coming sooner than later too.

hard to say what other games could be coming though. pikmin 3/nsmbu team is pretty spent for a while. retro's busy, ead tokyo's spent for a while, zelda's a ways away. only other way the exclusive lineup fills out more is through collaborations. don't know when pokken will hit, but it seems like something that would slot into a q2 or early q3 release.

q1 2014:
dkc tf

q2 2014:
mario kart 8

q3 2014:
yarn yoshi
bayonetta 2

q4 2014:
smash bros.
x

zelda and smt x fe are probably 2015 games. we haven't seen footage of smt x fe yet. not even a screenshot. same with zelda.

animal crossing probably got greenlit hard after the success of new leaf. i think we'll see it sooner than later.

missing franchises: kirby, metroid, star fox. star fox hasn't seen a console release in about a decade. metroid is on a cooldown while sakamoto works on more profitable things like rhythm tengoku. kirby is probably coming sooner than later too.

hard to say what other games could be coming though. pikmin 3/nsmbu team is pretty spent for a while. retro's busy, ead tokyo's spent for a while, zelda's a ways away. only other way the exclusive lineup fills out more is through collaborations. don't know when pokken will hit, but it seems like something that would slot into a q2 or early q3 release.

I doubt sega racing 3 will be the third sonic game in the deal, with Mario kart releasing next year I don't think Nintendo will want a competitor next year

JoeFenix

To those saying Bayonetta 2 looks near finished because of the E3 demo need to understand how most Japanese devs work.

They make polished looking demos that feel 90% complete but it's just that one demo section, the rest of the game is not in the same shape. I don't know when Bayonetta 2 will come out but I wouldn't expect it before May at the earliest.

I can wait, just make sure it's polished and ready, 101 was surprisingly glitchy although it's nothing too terrible.

Anihawk's list looks kinda depressing all spread out and lower-case/abbreviated like that

surely the first half the year will have more than 3 games

surely

edit: concerning Kirby, didn't they just announce a Kirby game coming out next year on 3DS? I don't think they'd do another on Wii U in the same year, unless it's a sequel to the greatest Kirby of them all, Canvas Curve.

Darryl

Banned
All jokes aside Wii U, if its not going to get any third-party support, needs to put out 1st and 2nd party support of at least 15-20 titles a year, so something else from IntiSys would make me happy.

the secret formula has been about 10-11 releases per year. flooding the market isn't going to make retailers happy. they're going to keep nintendo shelved because they're efficient with the allocated shelf space. they'll lose sales from flooding the market too fast.

Anth0ny

It's not stopping people from buying the Wii U either and neither is the price. If the Wii U had compelling software people would buy it, people bought Wiis because Wii Sports was compelling at the time. The software was working in tandem with the Wii remote but people don't just buy a system because of the control, the software has to be there and it just wasn't there for the Wii U's launch.

Correct. Wii Sports doesn't sell gangbusters without the Wii Remote and the Wii Remote doesn't sell without the universally understood concept that was Wii Sports.

I believe the Gamepad is simply not capable of blowing peoples minds like the Wii Remote. I feel like the reason why the Wii Remote caught on with such a large audience was because of its simplicity. Unlike the PS3 and 360 controllers, which had more buttons than any controller before it, the Wii Remote simplified everything, and you knew what to do without anyone even telling you, really. Swing it like a tennis racket. Swing it like a golf club. Hold it like a bowling ball and throw. Simple.

Of course, I'm sure you and everyone already knows this. The gamepad, on the other hand, is the fucking antithesis of the Wii remote. It has as many buttons as the 360/ps3 controllers... and a screen. Simple to understand it is not. You can't sell people on that concept like you did with the Wii Remote. They tried with Nintendo Land, and it didn't work. Nintendo Land was supposed to be Wii Sports, and it failed, because the gamepad and asymmetric gameplay simply isn't as appealing as motion controls and the Wii Remote.

So while some people believe this messiah of a game is still coming for the Wii U, this game that will simply CLICK with the masses like Wii Sports did... I do not. For that reason, I think the gamepad should be an optional controller on the side, and not something that should be included with every console, and developers forced to create compatibility with it.

So they drop the gamepad, drop the price and the system is still selling like shit because there's nothing about it that sets it apart from it's competitors (other than all the games it won't be getting) and Nintendo is making even less money from it. Then what?

Maybe that $199 number I was throwing around was a bit low. But I have to believe even a $250 Wii U with a pro controller instead of gamepad is making them way more money per console sold than a $299 SKU with a gamepad. Remember, this is a console that was losing them money at launch with a price of $350. This thing is more or less on par with PS3/360, and those things are selling at a profit for $199 at the moment. Where is all of this cost coming from for every unit? I don't know this for a fact, but I have to imagine that gamepad is costing them a pretty penny.

Again, this whole "setting it apart from it's competitors" talk continues to blow me away. The thing that sets it apart from it's competitors is the first party Nintendo games. Mario? Kart? Smash? The gamepad is something the competition doesn't have but it is not a selling point. There is no one on Earth looking at a Playstation, an Xbox and a Nintendo and saying "I'm going to buy the Nintendo system because of that controller." They're buying Nintendo for Mario or Pokemon.

By the way, I'm not saying even dropping the Gamepad will save the console. Even then, Gamecube sales are best case scenario. But at least you reach Gamecube sales...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Realistically, I think The Wii U first-party schedule will be the following:

Late February release: Donkey Kong Country Returns
Late March or Early April release: Mario Kart 8
May: Bayonetta 2
July: FE X SMT
September: Yarn Yoshi
October: X
November: Super Smash Bros
December: Zelda U or Unannounced Mario title

What is known for sure is that Nintendo will be focusing more and more on downloadable software titles going forward in order to improve profitability. I wouldn't be shocked if their mid-tier franchises such as Metroid, Star Fox and F-Zero will be released via Eshop-only.

keviny

my prediction (from the announced titles):

febr: DKC TF
march-april: Mariokart 8
may-june: WiiSports Club retail
july-aug: silence
sept: Yoshi Yarn
okt: Bayo 2
nov: Smash

Jackano

To me 2014 will look like "all the way to SmaBro".

Yarn Yoshi and DKC Tropical Freeze for the Q1;
Mario Kart 8 in april/may, just like Mario Kart Wii was released in april 2008 so the exact same timeframe launch aligned;

Bayonetta 2 could be a "summer" game just like TW101, I don't see it releasing before E3 (too early) and we will not wish it to be released during the holidays...

And finally Smash Bros will be one of the two heavy hitters for Nintendo during the holidays, but I wonder what other title will be there (obviously one we don't know about yet).

IMO SMTxFE and X will not be 2014 tiles for the West at least.
Zelda, nope to me, it requires more time so definitely 2015.

You just have to fill the gaps to hit 10~12 titles this year (a Pokemon game will probably be released sooner or later to connect with X/Y). I believe just like this year, an early January Nintendo Direct will start to reveal new names.

Anth0ny

q1 2014:
dkc tf

q2 2014:
mario kart 8

q3 2014:
yarn yoshi
bayonetta 2

q4 2014:
smash bros.
x

oh yeah, Kirby. I think that's a game they can announce at E3 and have out by the end of the year. Maybe Animal Crossing U too. I could see that Pokken thing happening next year too, that would be exciting.

Metroid and Star Fox are so dead. I don't think we'll see a title from either of them on Wii U.

Assuming Koizumi and EAD Tokyo start on that new game as soon as they're done with 3D World, I don't see that coming until early 2015 at the very soonest, probably late 2015. Same deal with Retro. And the Zelda team.

Neff

Are you sure Bayo 2 is so close? I really expect it in the end of 2014. I'm sure they're going for as much polish as possible. It's a very important prestige title. It's not going to sell Mario numbers but it draws attention of people previously not interested in Nintendo.

It's been fast-tracking for more than a year now. Nintendo don't usually exhibit playable versions of their games unless they're within 6-8 months of release. I think a release by June is very likely.

DKC - Probably could have released this holiday, but was pushed to fill the drought early next year. No reason to think it won't make February.

Mario Kart 8 - Looked very far along at E3 and also could have originally been planned for this year. I'd be surprised if it doesn't launch in March or April

Bayo 2 - Again, looked pretty far along and was playable so middle of the year looks likely imo.

X - Looked even further along than it did in January. Outside of localization issues (which Nintendo is actively trying to improve), I'm not really sure why people are concerned about this one making next year. It'll probably be a Fall title.

SSB4 - Development looks like it's going very well, but I'm guessing this will be their big holiday title next year.

Yarn Yoshi - Obviously shown too early, but it doesn't seem like it will be too dev intensive, so I'd say a Q4 release is still likely.

FEXSMT - Um.

In addition to this, there's obviously going to be a few more bigger title announced by the end of next year. Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Paper Mario, who knows?

I also don't think there's any way Zelda launches next year. I know it's been three years, but dev problems seem inevitable with how ambitious Aonuma's making the game sound + first ground-up HD Zelda.

EDIT: Animal Crossing U could come at the end of the year. That's based on the Plaza app ending at that time.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Assuming Koizumi and EAD Tokyo start on that new game as soon as they're done with 3D World, I don't see that coming until early 2015 at the very soonest, probably late 2015. Same deal with Retro. And the Zelda team.

EAD Tokyo isn't a team, but an entire department full of teams. Koizumi is the producer and manager of Tokyo Group No. 2 and has supposedly 3 project teams right now (Super Mario 3D World, Flipnote Studio 3D, Secret Game).

There is also Tokyo Group No. 1 headed by Takao Shimizu. But so far they've been rather low key developing downloadable apps and only co-developing the Grezzo Ocarina of Time 3D port. I'm sure eventually they should have a bigger project.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
im gonna say something wich I expect neogaf to remember..

Wii U is gonna be canceled next year. Iwata will be erased in april and wont be april fools, maybe may 2014.

There wont be a new game console really soon. The death of the system will be slow. They will release the rest of the games and the next zelda will be ps4 game. Call me crazy, but I really expect that.

Please dont bann me, but I really see that happening.

Ok. Seems legit

Will he be erased with the delete button or by a rubber?

Tripon

To those saying Bayonetta 2 looks near finished because of the E3 demo need to understand how most Japanese devs work.

They make polished looking demos that feel 90% complete but it's just that one demo section, the rest of the game is not in the same shape. I don't know when Bayonetta 2 will come out but I wouldn't expect it before May at the earliest.

I can wait, just make sure it's polished and ready, 101 was surprisingly glitchy although it's nothing too terrible.
Yeah, just like 3d world, link between worlds and Zelda wind waker HD! All playable and all near release.

radcliff

There is also Tokyo Group No. 1 headed by Takao Shimizu. But so far they've been rather low key developing downloadable apps and only co-developing the Grezzo Ocarina of Time 3D port. I'm sure eventually they should have a bigger project.

I would like to see Shimizu get another shot at Donkey Kong or Starfox. DK '94, DK: Jungle Beat, and Starfox 64 were all amazing games that he directed/produced.

As for Koizumi's game, with his apparent desire to return to Zelda, and with him seemingly having the original Mana team (Grezzo & Brownie Brown [now 1up]) at his disposal, I wonder if he would do an original action/adventure title.

Heyt

Banned
My bet:

Jan: nothing
Feb: DKC Tropical F.
March: DLC for previously released games.
Apr: Mario Kart 7
May: nothing
Jun: nothing
Jul:nothing
Aug: F2P Steel diver based game
Sep: Bayonetta 2
Oct: Smash Bros.
Nov: Yarn Yoshi
Dic: EAD game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I would like to see Shimizu get another shot at Donkey Kong or Starfox. DK '94, DK: Jungle Beat, and Starfox 64 were all amazing games that he directed/produced.

Maybe Shimizu was producing a project that just never took off. It might have been stuck in development hell. I mean, all 7 EAD Groups handle a minimum of two projects per cycle. So right now his production unit has been behind.

As for Koizumi's game, with his apparent desire to return to Zelda, and with him seemingly having the original Mana team (Grezzo & Brownie Brown [now 1up]) at his disposal, I wonder if he would do an original action/adventure title.

I am really hopeful about it. I'm not sure if it is another legacy IP being brought back or if this is a new IP. Let's hope it materializes early next year on a Nintendo Direct.

daripad

Year of Yoshi will be next year. There are two yoshi titles, one for each console. Plus Mario Kart 8 and Mario Golf.

That means a Mario Sports is VERY POSSIBLE to promote year of yoshi. What do you think GAF?

Also Pokken is another title for next year, if it ends being a WiiU thing.

Expect a surprise by E3, it is possible. And it is possible to get one, two or three niche titles like Rhythm Heaven, Kirby (not that niche I know lol), new downloadable or simple IP, Star Fox, Wario Ware, etc.

And finally Wii Sports can get a physical release with all the sports from Resort and two or three new ones.

I forgot the third Sonic.title, maybe it is a WiiU game ( I bet Sonic spin-off)

Feb: DKC
April: Mario Kart
June-July: Please Understand
August: Paper Mario U/Intelligent Systems game
Sept: Yarn Yoshi/X
Oct: Secret Miyamoto casual game
Nov: Smash Bros
Dec: Exclusive Sonic game

hatchx

Banned
I don't think we'll see Yoshi before September seeing how silent they've been on it. I'd actually wager it's in development hell or will become vaporware. It just made no sense announcing it, then announcing Yoshi 3DS, and Yoshi 3DS has been playable with a release timeline given.

Someone mentioned MH4 which is actually great speculation. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to 3DS/WiiU like Tri did, perhaps sometime in the summer (the earliest).

This thread kind of goes to show we really don't have a clue. We have no clue how far along X or Bayonetta 2 or Smash is. Nintendo is very quiet about how far along their games are. I think it's miraculous they told us Mario Kart was a Spring 2014 title, but that could only be because it is such a big title.

Goddamnit, I want another Nintendo Direct already.

tobibreit

Neo Member
Why do people assume Smash Bros will be out late next year? Nintendo doesn't announce games that long ahead of their release anymore. Look at 3D World and A Link between Worlds. Both announced at E3, released 5 1/2 months later. Anything they announced at E3 this year will be out before next year's E3.

Mario Kart in March and Smash Bros in May are the big games in Q1 and Q2.

I assume there'll be an Animal Crossing title on Wii U next year motivated by the big success of New Leaf. Maybe in September. Holiday 2014 will see something truely big like a new Zelda or a new Metroid (in the style of the Prime trilogy) and i expect Big N to strike some kind of big exclusive deal with a Japanese third party, Monster Hunter 5 for example.

wildfire

Banned
It doesn't matter if it isn't exclusive, at least it will exist.

I'm baffled how I don't know of any 3rd party games coming out for Nintendo besides those 2 games Sega has been contracted to do.

Even all the indie games I know about will release this year.

It's not stopping people from buying the Wii U either and neither is the price. If the Wii U had compelling software people would buy it, people bought Wiis because Wii Sports was compelling at the time. The software was working in tandem with the Wii remote but people don't just buy a system because of the control, the software has to be there and it just wasn't there for the Wii U's launch.

It's not so black and white. Yes, the Wii caught on like a fever, but it wasn't only because of wii sports. It was also really cheap and practically impulse buy level. Do you really think the Wii would sell as much if it launched at $599?

You can't just say people aren't buying the Wii U because arbitrary piece of software "X" isn't available for it. Someone might be interested but not think the $299 price is worth it.

Darryl

Banned
Why do people assume Smash Bros will be out late next year? Nintendo doesn't announce games that long ahead of their release anymore. Look at 3D World and A Link between Worlds. Both announced at E3, released 5 1/2 months later. Anything they announced at E3 this year will be out before next year's E3.

Mario Kart in March and Smash Bros in May are the big games in Q1 and Q2.

I assume there'll be an Animal Crossing title on Wii U next year motivated by the big success of New Leaf. Maybe in September. Holiday 2014 will see something truely big like a new Zelda or a new Metroid (in the style of the Prime trilogy) and i expect Big N to strike some kind of big exclusive deal with a Japanese third party, Monster Hunter 5 for example.

since the game has a user base so loaded with teens and young adults, it feels right for the game to be released when young adults have the most free time available to do social gaming and stuff. it would make the most sense to schedule it for a summer or holiday release when school is out. smash being announced early could've been done for many reasons. early 2014 looks near impossible at this point and i was one of the people who originally said it was probably going to make it holiday 2013. they've still clearly got lots of stuff to announce with that game at this point.

Nintendo probably has a couple third party collaborations lined up for next year. We didn't know about Sonic: Lost World until May of this year and that's coming at the end of the month.

2014 should be a good year for Wii U. Nintendo realizes they have no third party support outside of indies, so they're likely reaching out to other companies for exclusive content.

They will fill out the roster with HD remakes, it worked for Sony, and as revealed Wind Waker was only six months of effort. F-Zero HDGX, Super Mario Sunshine HD, Metroid Prime TriloHD, Double Dash DLC.

Feb: DKC
April: Mario Kart
June-July: Please Understand
August: Paper Mario U/Intelligent Systems game
Sept: Yarn Yoshi/X
Oct: Secret Miyamoto casual game
Nov: Smash Bros
Dec: Exclusive Sonic game

Seems like a good guess. I'll think I'll wait for the inevitable Please Understand: GOTY Edition.

MDX

I don't think Smash is going to be done until Holiday and Zelda won't be until 2015. There's going to be an intense mid year drought for the Wii U next year with no third party support to fill the gap.

What's this no third party support nonsense that people are trying to label the wiiu with?
Project Cars is significant to include for spring
Deus X might be for January
Might hear something about Project Nova

Um...

What's this no third party support nonsense that people are trying to label the wiiu with?
Project Cars is significant to include for spring
Deus X might be for January
Might hear something about Project Nova

Um...

Deus Ex is out on the 22nd of this month.

Westlo

Holiday 2014 will see something truely big like a new Zelda or a new Metroid (in the style of the Prime trilogy) and i expect Big N to strike some kind of big exclusive deal with a Japanese third party, Monster Hunter 5 for example.

Zelda aint shit in Japan, Metroid aint shit anywhere. You know compared to Kart and Smash. Kart, Smash and NSMB are their 3 biggest titles, one launched with the console already, releasing the other 2 in the first half of 14 is just dumb.

Even though it's going to jack shit for the position the Wii U is in, releasing Kart in Spring and Smash for Holidays is the best move Nintendo can make. Smash is also for 3DS giving the 3DS a big name title for the holidays as well, and of course it will probably sell more on the 3ds as well since the userbase is far bigger than the Wii U.

And Monster Hunter 5 for Wii U is just a waste of sales potential compared to the 3DS, and if it's a smash bros type release on both consoles the majority will go to the 3ds anyway.

Anything they announced at E3 this year will be out before next year's E3.

Meanwhile shit the announced in the Jan direct 6 months before this years e3 still won't be out by next E3... lol.

Optimistic timeline?

Feb- DKC
March- MK8
May-June- X,Bayonetta 2
August- Yoshi Wii U
September- Fire Emblem x SMT
October- Smash Wii U
November- Zelda Wii U, Wii Sports U

More realistic

Feb- DKC
April-May-MK8
August- Bayonetta 2
October- Yoshi Wii U
November- Smash

Throw in some Wii ___ game and X being set to 2015 in the US.

The real kicker is the complete lack of 3rd party games. There is also the 3rd Sonic game but who knows when that releases.

When Nintendo says Spring 2014 for Mario Kart it's safe to say they mean after Quarter 1 begins. If Mario Kart was coming in March they wouldn't of said something as vague as Spring. Frankly even your listings under the Realistic category are extremely optimistic given that so few of their titles have actually hit their originally planned release dats.

I wonder what Koizumi's game is, I want a 3D DK64 sequel with kremlings and all.

How about Donkey Kong Galaxy, King K Rool builds a space empire
(Joking)

But really I'd love a good DK64 sequel.

Or a remake next year is the twentieth anniversary of DKC.

Schedule

Feb- DKC
March- MK8
April- X
July- Bayonetta 2
August- Yoshi Wii U
September- Donkey Kong 64 HD
October- Smash Wii U, Third Sonic Game
November- Zelda Wii U, Wii Sports U Complete, Mario 64 HD Remake

Darryl

Banned
I wonder what Koizumi's game is, I want a 3D DK64 sequel with kremlings and all.

How about Donkey Kong Galaxy, King K Rool builds a space empire
(Joking)

But really I'd love a good DK64 sequel.

Or a remake next year is the twentieth anniversary of DKC.

If I were to guess, I think they'd try to some kind of major sandbox-style adventure game.

kswiston

Unless things are drastically changing this generation, I don't expect X in the west next year, even if it gets a summer/fall release in Japan. Nintendo takes forever to localize Jrpgs.

Adam J.

I'm only interested in Bayo 2, DKTF and Yoshi Yarn :'(

Here's hoping some surprises for holiday 2014 get announced at E3. I'd totally be down for NintendoLand 2 or a new Punch Out.

q1 2014:
dkc tf

q2 2014:
mario kart 8

q3 2014:
yarn yoshi
bayonetta 2

q4 2014:
smash bros.
x

Sounds about right, unless Smash gets delayed last minute and some quick Animal Crossing taking it's place lol. Some surprise announcements next year will probably either be for 3DS, insignificant minigame/downloadable shlock or 2015 content.
Considering the delusional higher ups just now realized that HD development needs more resources, the situation for the console will not improve anytime soon. (If at all, before the next one comes out) More droughts, delays and (now redundant) content overload on the 3DS incoming.

Top Bottom