• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speculation based on trademark minutia: Nintendo NX to use cartridges

I like this rumor a lot. In a few months, we'll find out that the NX is just going to be a HD remaster of the original Nintendo system.

Is Ever Oasis the only game on 3DS mentioning game disc? What if the game is in fact also on NX? That could explain why the trademark includes both game disc and game cartridge.

DocSeuss

There was an interview a while back when the Nintendo folks said that part of the 3DS/WiiU problem was taking way too much development time to make both games work on both systems, so presumably this is just because of how they want to distribute games across a handheld and console. It is unlikely the console will use cartridges.

If true and NX goes doe the cartridge route then I'm in. All for it, yeah more expensive to produce compared to discs but less chance for young kids to scratch them

Alienous

There was an interview a while back when the Nintendo folks said that part of the 3DS/WiiU problem was taking way too much development time to make both games work on both systems, so presumably this is just because of how they want to distribute games across a handheld and console. It is unlikely the console will use cartridges.

I'm not following your logic here.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sheer curiosiy, but I want to see how are Mario & Sonic games listed, as well as both Super Smash Bros. games. Can't find them right now :p

Reposting the question, and adding in the request Mario Party Star Rush's trademark. Can anyone do it? TESS's search engine doesn't seem to be helpful to me so far.

munchie64

Handhelds need to be cost and energy efficient. So not exactly a thing you would connect to a TV to play high end games on. A console is the opposite.
Tell me how you would fit the power of a scorpio in a device as big as an iPhone, combining these two totally contrary engineering philosophies, with a battery life of 10 hours and then sell it for $199.
It doesnt work pretty well.

It doesnt make any sense.
The NX will not be as powerful as a scorpio anyway lol. I was thinking slightly better than Wii U power would work well when the hybrid rumours were around, but PS4/XBO levelish seems to be the thing now.

Either way, I thought Nintendo could've made it work quite well personally and thought it made sense as a continuation of their handheld dominance combined with their home stagnation. But of course, it's not happening so not much point talking about it anyway. But again, it could've worked.

bman94

I don't like the idea. Can't tell you how many GBA & DS games I lost cause the cartridge are so small. It's the main reason I went all digital for 3DS.

R00bot

One thing that many people forget when talking about Solid state prices is that read-only solid state storage is MUCH cheaper, although it wouldn't necessarily be used. Who knows though, do we really need to store our saves on the card itself when our consoles have hundreds of gigs of storage not being wasted by installs of games? I think not.

I actually like this idea. If it means it doesn't need a 1tb hard drive inside. Each game is a relatively lower cost high capacity card, hopefully one with higher end transfer speeds.

They could even sell blank cards for digital purchases to go on. They would only be write/readable by the NX. Buy a 3-5 pack of 50gb cards that your console can overwrite with digital purchases from home?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I want to play FFVIIR on a NX handheld. Omg that would be a dream come true.
That would be so ironic considering FF VII couldn't fit on a cartridge and was one of the major reasons PlayStation beat N64.

20 years of Moore's law later and cartridges finally beat optical discs.

Mato

Is it viable to use a re-writable form of cartridge? Perhaps to store game updates and dlc in the cartridge itself and eliminate the need for a large hd to be shipped with every console. Just an idea.

Neoxon

I actually like this idea. If it means it doesn't need a 1tb hard drive inside. Each game is a relatively lower cost high capacity card, hopefully one with higher end transfer speeds.

They could even sell blank cards for digital purchases to go on. They would only be write/readable by the NX. Buy a 3-5 pack of 50gb cards that your console can overwrite with digital purchases from home?
That could work in theory & would be an interesting way in materializing your physical purchases, but you may run into the issue of someone printing multiple copies of the same game & reselling them.

Alienous

New Nintendo hardware that shares games between its handheld and console would be the solution to a lack of third-party support. That would be a wealth of games.

Is it viable to use a re-writable form of cartridge? Perhaps to store game updates and dlc in the cartridge itself and eliminate the need for a large hd to be shipped with every console. Just an idea.

Yeah, this is what I'm wondering too.

killatopak

this is stupid if they don't have optical based readers.

Hoping they have two slots. One for the handheld and the other for console use.

Roo

I could be entirely wrong but I remember someone here mentioned that they could create cartridges with two memory pools.
One is read-only (the main game) and the other for data storage (saves, patches, dlc, etc)

I'm not sure if that's even possible but there's that.

In for cards. Personally just like that storage medium more than optical, less noise without a disc drive, probably faster load times, more durable. Definitely in for cards!

Possible, but it'd be odd to not announce that at E3.
Not saying it's true or not, but this is Nintendo, kings and queens of miscommunication regarding everything E3.

That "Zelda only" stuff, not showing Wonderful 101 at the event back then but in a interview segment afterwards, announcing Xenoblade Wii only via (really) bad screenshots in the press-kit.
Honestly, not mentioning this would neither be the first nor the biggest thing that went wrong. ^^

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't mind this actually. i imagine they will be similar to what the 3DS uses but just with capacity and faster speeds. stick the card/cartridge (whatever you want to call it) into the console and you can play it there or stick it in the handheld and keep playing while you're out the house.

i think the NX will be the successor to the 3DS + Wii U in one. if you just want to buy the handheld to play games you can but if you buy the console too then you can play it on that with better visuals/performance. since the cartridge works on both systems you don't need to buy the game twice. data will sync between both devices when they are on the same network so things like your game saves and achievements. if that does happen then i think there will be two packages for sale. one with both the console + handheld or a cheap version with just the console with a standard controller. the handheld could also be used as a controller to play games on console.

Neoxon

this is stupid if they don't have optical based readers.

Hoping they have two slots. One for the handheld and the other for console use.
ROM storage has caught up to that of optical discs as of late. And part of the point of ditching the optical drive is to cut down on moving parts (which means less of a chance of the NX Console breaking down) & decreasing the cost of said NX Console.

bman94

Don't you put your games back in their cases?

The disc based ones of course, but the whole purpose of an handheld would to have the games portable. So often the distance from point A, B, C & D and back games would go missing. DS made it little easier with actual cases but I'm not taking a mountain of cases with me on a family trip or something and GBA didn't have cases at all, only boxes which made them a pain to store without getting lost.

The fact that Nintendo have said time and time again it's not a hybrid means nothing to you?

Nintendo told us Zelda was coming Holiday 2015, then Holiday 2016, then March 2017 and now 2017...but Im with you, it wont be a hybrid, it will be atleast two devices...but making game cards like the 3DS has plus you can pop them into the NX, would be glorious...

Neoxon

i wouldn't mind this actually. i imagine they will be similar to what the 3DS uses but just with capacity and faster speeds. stick the card/cartridge (whatever you want to call it) into the console and you can play it there or stick it in the handheld and keep playing while you're out the house.

i think the NX will be the successor to the 3DS + Wii U in one. if you just want to buy the handheld to play games you can but if you buy the console too then you can play it on that with better visuals/performance. since the cartridge works on both systems you don't need to buy the game twice. data will sync between both devices when they are on the same network so things like your game saves and achievements. if that does happen then i think there will be two packages for sale. one with both the console + handheld or a cheap version with just the console with a standard controller. the handheld could also be used as a controller to play games on console.
This is what a good chunk of Nintendo-GAF, myself included, are speculating the NX Platform as being (it's part of the reason why I typically refer to it as the NX Platform rather than just the NX).

w3bba

I like the idea of solid state media instead of optical, even at somewhat increased costs, for the reasons already mentioned here

My guess: They are basically using 2.5" SSD drives (or smaller) with just enough capacity to store a specific game. The cartridge probably contains a chip for authentication which defines the game that is stored on it.
If data is lost, game files can be reaquired via download and stored on the cartridge. Save games are also stored on the cartridge.

Basically this for me. and thinking it a bit further, you could make a part of it writable, to save game updates and/or DLC, so that if you have tzo change console or give the game to a friend, you have always your data with you, no need to take the console with you or download all of it again.

If savegames are on it as well, as you suggest, you have for example your 100% save of smash bros. always with you to play local MP, no matter the console.

It's doable, but Nintendo probably won't do it because it would probably let pirates or hackers into the console or cartridge. I'm expecting the console to have flash or HDD storage.

Yep, this is what a lot of Nintendo-GAF believes. I'd personally love it.

Neoxon

Nintendo told us Zelda was coming Holiday 2015, then Holiday 2016, then March 2017 and now 2017...but Im with you, it wont be a hybrid, it will be atleast two devices...but making game cards like the 3DS has plus you can pop them into the NX, would be glorious...
Those are simple delays. What you're implying is that Nintendo would completely alter Iwata's original vision for the NX Platform this late in the game. That said, you did note that you don't think that it'll happen, in which I agree with you.

New Nintendo hardware that shares games between its handheld and console would be the solution to a lack of third-party support. That would be a wealth of games.

Yep. Nintendo actually releases a ton of games every year. Problem is they are fractured. NX will solve that. Plus 3rd parties would have an easy way to produce for a bigger audience.

Another big part are generational transitions. Iwata mentioned multiple times that one of the ideas behind the NX is to get rid of a the reset every gen. In one moment you have a 100 million userbase and next year you have to start from scratch.
NX exists to eliminate those two problems.

It would also allow them to update their hardware on a more regular basis. The OS stays the same and is forever backwards compatible.
Like with Breath of the Wild you can release a game for wider audience but with enhanced features for the latest models.

They would go all digital but they still need the retailers. Cards fit perfectly.

Nightfall

I would love to see the return of cartridges. But if they do it, they should be big.
Not NeoGeo AES big, but bigger than those tiny DS cards.

Why? Just because it looks and feels better. I don't care if it's just a huge piece of plastic with a tiny SD card in the middle. Just make it look cool.

Nightbird

OMG, this means I could my own hard copy versions of dowload-only games! this would be amazing!

I'm fine with this. In fact, I hope it's true. All my cart-based games have lasted much longer than my disc-based ones. Most of my PS1 library, for example, is scratched to hell and doesn't work anymore but my SNES library is still alive and kicking.

Neoxon

I would love to see the return of cartridges. But if they do it, they should be big.
Not NeoGeo AES big, but bigger than those tiny DS cards.

Why? Just because it looks and feels better. I don't care if it's just a huge piece of plastic with a tiny SD card in the middle. Just make it look cool.
image.php

Avatar quote aside, if they go as big as you're suggesting, then they can't fit the cartridge into a handheld. If what we're speculating comes true, then Nintendo would likely want the same physical copy of a game to fit both in the console & the handheld.

Neoxon

I'm fine with this. In fact, I hope it's true. All my cart-based games have lasted much longer than my disc-based ones. Most of my PS1 library, for example, is scratched to hell and doesn't work anymore but my SNES library is still alive and kicking.
This. I've lost a lot of good soldiers to the horrors of discs getting scratched.

*sheds tear for Melee*

394Qm3p.gif

Top Bottom