• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Speculation] Is Nintendo NX a Gaming Tablet?

Shogun413

Just to be clear this is purely speculation and based on my own assumptions and predictions for the NX.

I think there is a possibility that the Nintendo NX is an advanced gaming tablet. There are several advantages to this approach:

1. Portability- We all know that by 2017 Nintendo may want to bring a new platform to replace both the 3DS and Wii U. A gaming tablet may be the ideal hybrid platform to both bring both portability and graphical prowess that is required. We all know that Nintendo has extensive patents and technology from the Wii U tablet and this recent patent suggests even more advanced haptic technology. http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ould_hint_at_full_touchscreen_interface_on_nx

A HDMI-out port will allow streaming to a HDTV via this gaming tablet for home console use. Gaming accessories and a more traditional controller can be attached via USB to this tablet.

2. Novel Market- There are very few tablets on the market that are focused on gaming. The Microsoft Surface and iPads are powerful tablets but can not be considered to be gaming focused. Nintendo can design a NX tablet be have better control technology and thumbsticks? for more traditional gaming. Tablets are still a very exciting market and I think that Nintendo could really create a new market for powerful gaming tablets that could appeal to hardcore gamers and casuals alike. With the PS4k and Xbone 1.5 coming by 2017, it just doesn't make sense for Nintendo to fight for the hardcore home console market.

3. Generational Compability- Making the NX a gaming tablet will allow true generation to generation software and app compatibility. This fits well with Nintendo's new focus on making NX a new software and app platform across devices, pc, and smartphones. Mobile games and apps made by Nintendo can easily be made for a NX tablet.

A gaming tablet may also offer Nintendo the opportunity for faster hardware refreshes, possibly yearly aka iPads models. This will prevent the NX tablet from falling too far behind tech wise compared to the general tablet market.

In summary, the NX tablet would make a lot of sense in terms of differentiating from Sony and Microsoft and targeting a new audience. I have not bought Nintendo hardware for years now but I would seriously consider a NX gaming tablet for $200-$400. I am interested in what everyone thinks about this idea!

georly

Can't wait to play zelda on a tablet! (no I don't think so)

Have you not bought Nintendo hardware in years because of the form factor or because the games didn't appeal to you? And would games going into a tablet form factor somehow make them appeal to you?

All rumors and signs point to it being a console, though we know very little.

Edit:

From 2013 https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/130131/05.html
ChJmHK5W4AEf4Vk.jpg:large

weekev

Banned
Would make sense, at least to make the OS run on Android as would open them up to so many mobile games but then keep a disk based console to take advantage of home console.

Servbot24

Banned
That would be literal business suicide. The tablet market is shrinking fast, tablets are no longer an interesting idea to the mainstream, the tablet market that does exist is not going to spend another few hundred bucks on an extra device that plays games they're likely not interested in, the Nintendo core fanbase is not going to be happy about casual-ized interface, and the device would draw instant comparisons to Wii U and Vita, two of the biggest flops in gaming history when it comes to big name companies.

They could make a gaming tablet if they wanted to, but it's likely not the first one.
Iwata mentioned being able to release more form factors (handheld/console/tablet as an example) without suffering from software droughts

Neoxon

Iwata ruled out the idea of a single-device hybrid, which is what you're implying that the NX will be.

Proelite

A gaming tablet, even using 14nm fab, would be a fraction of the power of Xbox one while costing more than $399.

If you want a $299 tablet then were talking maybe 1.5x Wii u perf max.

"Hey guys, the Wii U's Gamepad was a huge failure".

"Well, I've got a brilliant idea on how to turn things around! Let's double down".

georly

They could make a gaming tablet if they wanted to, but it's likely not the first one.
Iwata mentioned being able to release more form factors (handheld/console/tablet as an example) without suffering from software droughts

Yup. NX would be the unified 'architecture' that ties all of their platforms together. They would likely start with console, then portable, and if they see a demand for something else, they could make more 'devices' that support the NX architecture, like a tablet.

They also said if the market only had room for ONE device (whether it's console, portable, or tablet) they could use the NX architecture to just support that one device, but as long as there's room for consoles/portables, they'll continue to work in that space.

iMax

I think NX will be a converged platform spanning various form factors and device categories, like iOS.

Miitomo is the first example of NX in action.

LewieP

Nope. There are a host of technical and business reasons why this would be a bad idea.

Edit: and this contradicts the kind of things Nintendo have said about NX.

My gut says no. Who knows though we could all be fools and it could be some shield style tablet with the console being the base.

krang

It's controversial, but at this point I just simply do not know what a new Nintendo console can bring to to the table. I'm interested to find out whether NX truly is innovative, but I kinda doubt it.

I just cannot help think that Nintendo would make buckets and buckets of cash if they went third party, and not lose any of what makes their games awesome.

Shogun413

Can't wait to play zelda on a tablet! (no I don't think so)

Have you not bought Nintendo hardware in years because of the form factor or because the games didn't appeal to you? And would games going into a tablet form factor somehow make them appeal to you?

All rumors and signs point to it being a console, though we know very little.

I have been interested in playing Nintendo games but not in the hardware. A gaming tablet would be much more appealing to me.

I have been interested in playing Nintendo games but not in the hardware. A gaming tablet would be much more appealing to me.

If the gaming tablet is more appealing to you than a dedicated game console/handheld, then I don't know what to say. Maybe you underestimate Nintendo games.

Shogun413

So Nintendo should just try to capture the same diminishing audience as the Wii U? I don't see any point for them to make another home console in a crowded market without third-party support.

inner-G

Banned
This is basically what I think it will be.

Android box/tablet with BT controllers and HDMI out. If it's truly portable, it has to be.

Akiraptor

I wouldn't mind a tablet at all provided it was actually portable (not one of those ugly things with the controllers poking out of the sides) and came with a stand and controller.

It's a hybrid of Nvidia Shield and PS Now. Smaller sized titles can be downloaded to the tablet. Larger AAA games will have to be streamed from Nintendo's network.

Having finally hooked up my Shield tablet to my TV and played games on it with the Shield controller I can definitely say the experience falls far short of anything even the worst consoles from the past 20 years have managed in terms of being usable for games.

And that's being polite.

Shogun413

holy shit no

this is the true reason we need the announcement

no more asinine speculation barf

What makes my suggestion asinine? Do you really think that Nintendo can compete with Sony and Microsoft on power in a home console? Even if the NX matches ps4 in power the ps4k is right around the corner. Nintendo needs something different.

A tablet that is 2x Wii U power could play Zelda and if you want a big screen experience then just do HDMI out and attach a traditional controller.

Tadpole

It's a console that can act as what we think of as a home console and also portable. And it will have one library to play both ways.

Watch.

Shogun413

I wouldn't use nvidia shield as the benchmark. I think Nintendo could design something much more appealing in terms of hardware and overall design.

LewieP

It's a hybrid of Nvidia Shield and PS Now. Smaller sized titles can be downloaded to the tablet. Larger AAA games will have to be streamed from Nintendo's network.
Madness.

Do you not think Nintendo would offer an optional streaming service on their existing platforms before drastically altering their (proven and profitable) business model? Why would they jettison the huge market of people without the internet connection quality or inclination to exclusive stream larger games? Sony bought Gaikai for hundreds of millions of dollars, and MS have been developing cloud tech for years. What makes you think Nintendo (a company that has typically stuck to tried and tested technology it can deliver to the widest audience possible) would be the first console manufacturer to exclusively move to cloud streaming for certain games?

I can see why the usage scenario you described might appeal to some people, but it is not a rational strategy for Nintendo.

Anarky

Banned
What makes my suggestion asinine? Do you really think that Nintendo can compete with Sony and Microsoft on power in a home console? Even if the NX matches ps4 in power the ps4k is right around the corner. Nintendo needs something different.

A tablet that is 2x Wii U power could play Zelda and if you want a big screen experience then just do HDMI out and attach a traditional controller.

Why does this matter?

krang

These echo my exact feelings. Something Vita-like, but with more power, that can be docked with a wireless controller and HDMI-out. Simple, elegant and versatile.

But something something kill hybrid rumours something.

L Thammy

I don't think tablets in general are a novel market though; Nintendo would be jumping into a red ocean where it lacks the advantage.

Top Bottom