• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Speedrunning Thread - RESETRESETRESET

Velcro Fly

I hope there is zero controversy with Getting Folk There this year and no people hesitant to donate money because of what happened the last time. I also totally forgot that was today so thanks for posting to remind me. Also did not realize RPG Limit Break was ending when it was. I had it on almost all week as background. Twas a great time.

edit: still another day of RPG Limit Break! I misunderstood some of the tweets I was seeing saying it was done! I knew there was still DQ3 coming! I am dumb!

LordAlu

I hope there is zero controversy with Getting Folk There this year and no people hesitant to donate money because of what happened the last time. I also totally forgot that was today so thanks for posting to remind me. Also did not realize RPG Limit Break was ending when it was. I had it on almost all week as background. Twas a great time.

edit: still another day of RPG Limit Break! I misunderstood some of the tweets I was seeing saying it was done! I knew there was still DQ3 coming! I am dumb!
Yeah, this year he's had a contract created by his lawyer that needs to be signed in order to receive any money, so he can get it back if anyone tries anything like that again.
<3 Big Jon but these GBA games are sooooo bad.
They're so bad. I hope they don't go for Colin McRae Rally, the GBA version of that is horrendous.

Velcro Fly

People already saying that marathon is a mess

Rumor has it Naegleria might move his run so he can go to six flags.

Yep first and last marathon ran by him lol

Platy

May 27 Brazil will have it's small version of Awesome Games Done Quick !

Here is the schedule :
https://horaro.org/braziliansagainsttime2016/agenda

Includes some interesting games that you rarely see on those marathons like Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Bomberman Fantasy Race, Odama (or other microphone gamecube game as a bonus game) and Celestial Mechanica among the classics

It is small, I mean It is just 3 days so I don't think it is worth it's own thread, but I was thinking you guys would like to know

Here is the twitch channel to follow and be reminded
https://www.twitch.tv/braziliansagainsttime

Zubz

Banned
May 27 Brazil will have it's small version of Awesome Games Done Quick !

Here is the schedule :
https://horaro.org/braziliansagainsttime2016/agenda

Includes some interesting games that you rarely see on those marathons like Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Bomberman Fantasy Race, Odama (or other microphone gamecube game as a bonus game) and Celestial Mechanica among the classics

It is small, I mean It is just 3 days so I don't think it is worth it's own thread, but I was thinking you guys would like to know

Here is the twitch channel to follow and be reminded
https://www.twitch.tv/braziliansagainsttime

I've always wanted to catch AGDQ, so I may look into this, even if I don't know if there'll be an English stream. Plus, Odama and Barkley: SUaJG are pretty dope.

LordAlu

PixelManiacs recently held a "Speed Run" challenge for their game Chromagun. Norferzlo worked on it and found a glitch, using it to come out top with a time of 12:52, but PixelManiacs disqualified him, saying it wasn't a speedrun as he'd glitched - despite that being how speedrunning works (get to the end as fast as possible). It's certainly been an... interesting conversation with the developers just outright dismissing it.

In better news, the third round of cuts/accepts for ESA 2016 are now available:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wT_P368eAGgG9aDJwSGQC7vXY4/htmlview?sle=true#

This should be pretty much it, now the schedule will be created from this list.

PixelManiacs recently held a "Speed Run" challenge for their game Chromagun. Norferzlo worked on it and found a glitch, using it to come out top with a time of 12:52, but PixelManiacs disqualified him, saying it wasn't a speedrun as he'd glitched - despite that being how speedrunning works (get to the end as fast as possible). It's certainly been an... interesting conversation with the developers just outright dismissing it.
Is there an SDA thread or something on this? I gotta read more

Not yet, but you can read the twitter conversation that's been going on here.

Oh boy it's Lo1ts! LMAO

Looks like the devs just wanted some quick publicity and didn't know what they were doing. Can't see this going well for them, though they're lucky it wasn't someone with a bigger name using that bug.

wow, I love how the developer just turns his nose up at the entire thing and just keeps saying "we said beat the game, not glitch it"

lol.

Gintoki

Reminds me of all the comments on twitch and even on gaf that say pretty much the same. Some don't consider it a speedrun if you use glitches for some reason.

The weird thing is that no one that seems to really care about speedrunning on the whole is ever the person complaining about 'glitch runs'. You'd think it was something the community is divided on, but really it's just that people well and truly don't seem to understand the point of the whole thing.

Velcro Fly

Most popular games have glitchless categories anyway

I think people just want to see their favorite games played really fast and when you clip through a wall to skip half the game, it is a disappointment for people not familiar with things.

Most popular games have glitchless categories anyway

I think people just want to see their favorite games played really fast and when you clip through a wall to skip half the game, it is a disappointment for people not familiar with things.
That's definitely a factor, but I feel like the animosity with which some people react to something like OoT any% goes beyond that. It really feels like people just straight up think those people are cheating or something.

Well, like you said, in those cases it seems to be unfamiliarity. For somebody watching a speedrun marathon who's not really up on the scene, seeinga crazy glitch that skips most of the game probably makes them go "wait what."

Oh yeah, for sure. The part where it gets especially odd though, is when someone explains to them "oh, no, this is just the nature of speedrunning" and the deny it or insist that the person cheated or whatever anyway.

I mean, if I didn't know the rules of a sport and saw something I thought was against the rules, I might say something negative. But then when someone explains it to me I would, of course, admit that I jumped to conclusions and was wrong. I've never seen someone do that with this.

Velcro Fly

Was watching Mega Man 3 speed champion fastatcc last night

After Wily 1 he is like 15 or 16 seconds behind and is like "yeah i can't PB from here"

Gets a combo of great execution and godlike RNG and PBs by a full second

Mega Man 3 down to 34:04 now.

He will be running at SGDQ too

Velcro Fly

602 race tomorrow

https://www.twitch.tv/602race

For the uninitiated, this is a multi Mario game speedrun. It is 120 star in SM64, 120 shine in Sunshine, 120 star in Galaxy 1, and 242 star in Galaxy 2.

Not sure how many people are participating but I do know that Galaxy/2 record holder Vallu is participating this time around.

In case you were wondering, according to speedrun.com leaderboards, only two people have ever finished this in under 24 hours in a race setting.

edit: nearly 22 hour speedrace and Vallu beats Chrism by 6 whole seconds. They were both on The Perfect Run at the exact same time after Vallu died at the end the first time. What a race.

TUSR

Banned
You can make it if you want, I just haven't seen you around! :D

Its all yours man, just wanted to make sure we weren't making two threads.

The previous Twitch channel is still going, you can find the invite instructions from last years thread.

LordAlu

Apologies for the double post.

Seems TUSR can't do the ESA thread, so if someone here would like to take up the mantle and produce one for Saturday that would be grand! :)

Anth0ny

i just did my first speedrun

I say "speedrun" very loosely because it was slow as fuck and full of mistakes, which is to be expected, I guess.

but 10 hours went by and I barely felt it. maybe this speedrun thing is right up my alley :)

LordAlu

I say "speedrun" very loosely because it was slow as fuck and full of mistakes, which is to be expected, I guess.

but 10 hours went by and I barely felt it. maybe this speedrun thing is right up my alley :)
Good job! You'll be amazed at how much faster you'll get just from practice and playing. You'll also wonder how you were ever that slow too :p

emb

Sick. What game?

LeleSocho

Banned
What's the background info on this?

SCV4 is a high intensity and very well optimized game that requires very precise movements, it has various 1 or 2 frame strategies that if failed could mean the end of a run like the spike jump in 9-2, where instead of waiting all the platforms falling from the sky you just jump from the first set on the very edge hoping you don't fall to your death (missed on this run because Paul couldn't get out of the stairs in time), or the moving chandelier jump in 6-1 where like before you jump on the very edge to skip a swinging cycle of the chandelier.
Other noticeable parts of the run are the "vegas bridge" at the end of 8-2 called like that because rng determines what pieces of said bridge disappear under your feet, and a wall clip in 1-2 where swinging with your whip lets you skip a bone pillar and a set of stairs by clipping through a wall.
Even doing all of the above correctly doesn't guarantee a great run as some bosses play a big part of the final time, again to beat them fast it's a mix of good rng and skills, examples of these are the Mummy which is ideally killed in 1 cycle, Slogra (the bird with spear in B-3) and at the end Dracula which is ideally beaten in 6 cycles.

The last noticeable time improvement was last year where FuriousPaul broke the sub 32 minutes wall, other runners of this game active at this moment in time are JoeDamillio and an impressive Twocat which in less than 2 months managed to get a very low 32 minutes time.

Asbel

SCV4 is a high intensity and very well optimized game that requires very precise movements, it has various 1 or 2 frame strategies that if failed could mean the end of a run like the spike jump in 9-2, where instead of waiting all the platforms falling from the sky you just jump from the first set on the very edge hoping you don't fall to your death (missed on this run because Paul couldn't get out of the stairs in time), or the moving chandelier jump in 6-1 where like before you jump on the very edge to skip a swinging cycle of the chandelier.
Other noticeable parts of the run are the "vegas bridge" at the end of 8-2 called like that because rng determines what pieces of said bridge disappear under your feet, and a wall clip in 1-2 where swinging with your whip lets you skip a bone pillar and a set of stairs by clipping through a wall.
Even doing all of the above correctly doesn't guarantee a great run as some bosses play a big part of the final time, again to beat them fast it's a mix of good rng and skills, examples of these are the Mummy which is ideally killed in 1 cycle, Slogra (the bird with spear in B-3) and at the end Dracula which is ideally beaten in 6 cycles.

The last noticeable time improvement was last year where FuriousPaul broke the sub 32 minutes wall, other runners of this game active at this moment in time are JoeDamillio and an impressive Twocat which in less than 2 months managed to get a very low 32 minutes time.

Thanks for the write up. It really helps highlight how hard that run was to pull off. It's kinda crazy how well he did the timing for all his jumps and attacks.

Recently saw an article on the "Holy Grail" for Mario 64 and the write up on Kotaku was a good read too.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/09/speedrunners-finally-pull-off-the-holy-grail-of-mario-64-glitches/

Top Bottom