• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

I somehow missed that Polygon article about the eggplant run until today. I am just crossing the threshold from novice to intermediate player so while some of the secrets were new to me, it's also going to be quite a damn while before I get to the point of experimenting with all that stuff. Not really a major spoiler, as I'm well aware there are myriad secrets in the game even I don't know what all of them are. I'm so tempted to look at wikis but I've held off for now and want to get to the point where I can experiment for myself. Gotta beat the game first, though.

What a great article and a good sketch of why the game is so awesome. I want to share it with a friend I'm trying to convince to buy the game but it gives too much away.
If said friend likes Dark Souls, tell him Spelunky shares the same design sensibilities overall. Patience and assessing dangers correctly are rewarded since information is king, it encourages deliberate manoeuvring, plenty of secrets, (almost) always fair in its hardships, a lack of handholding or being made aware of certain elements (unless you read the Journal and pay attention to visual hints) et cetera. No-brainer if he happens to be fond of platformers too.

fuck yeah, just got to Hell for the first time. ive barely played any of the PC version since hooking my laptop up to my TV is a pain, but i started playing this morning and unlocked a crapload of achievements and Journal entries that i hand gotten yet. got to number 3 on my friends leaderboard that run too.

hell is scary! so much stuff i havent seen before and i have no idea how it works. i had zero bombs and a shotgun. i was damn close to the exit, but i tried to head stomp a blue guy and went flying onto some spikes.

been playing all this time and i never spoiled City of Gold or hell for myself, so its been nerve wracking getting to them for the first time. come to think of it, i have had Yama spoiled for me, but i dot really know how you actually get to him, or how you kill him exactly. had forgotten about him when i got to Hell... the shock just wore now.

so damn close!
The music in Hell contributes a lot into making it a nerve-wracking experience the first few times.

Got the Speedlunky achievement today clocking in at just under 7 minutes. Feels good.

3Kj3Sh3.jpg

If said friend likes Dark Souls, tell him Spelunky shares the same design sensibilities overall. Patience and assessing dangers correctly are rewarded since information is king, it encourages deliberate manoeuvring, plenty of secrets, (almost) always fair in its hardships, a lack of handholding or being made aware of certain elements (unless you read the Journal and pay attention to visual hints) et cetera. No-brainer if he happens to be fond of platformers too.
Nah, he's a lapsed gamer that just got his first console since the Dreamcast. Don't think he's even heard of Dark Souls. He asked me for a recommendation and said he wanted a platformer. I'm hoping he'll pick it up.

Your post reminds me that DS is a game I NEED to play, though. Been putting it off too long.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Question:

Do I only have one life in Spelunky? I get to like 1-4, die and it's back to 1-1. Is this correct?

I love the game, but feel I may be playing it wrong.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I feel this game wants me to fail, if it already isn't hard enough, they have to send a giant, unavoidable ghost to get you to?

Number45

Question:

Do I only have one life in Spelunky? I get to like 1-4, die and it's back to 1-1. Is this correct?

No you're playing it right. Technically the hearts are lives, but once they're gone you're done. Back to 1-1 every time.

I feel this game wants me to fail, if it already isn't hard enough, they have to send a giant, unavoidable ghost to get you to?
It tries its hardest to make you fail yes, but you should learn from each death more or less. Today you learned not to dawdle. :p

Had a terrible Daily Challenge run this morning, so I started over in Adventure mode. And I killed Olmec for the first time! I guess I should try going for City of gold now...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The ghost is such an awesome video game trope.

Look up Bubble Bobble.

It was created in the arcade days to keep people from monopolizing all time on the machine by imposing a soft time limit. Other games also use a ghost in this way. In this game though it can be used to benefit your cause. I won't say more without going into spoilers.

mannerbot

The ghost is such an awesome video game trope.

Look up Bubble Bobble.

It was created in the arcade days to keep people from monopolizing all time on the machine by imposing a soft time limit. Other games also use a ghost in this way. In this game though it can be used to benefit your cause. I won't say more without going into spoilers.

Oh man, I never thought of the Spelunky ghost as a Bubble Bobble reference. It was so obvious!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh man, I never thought of the Spelunky ghost as a Bubble Bobble reference. It was so obvious!
The Spelunky Wiki says:
The Ghost may be a reference to the ghost from Spelunker, but it functions more like Baron von Blubba of the Bubble Bobble series, who operates as an invincible (but avoidable) enforcer of the stage time limit. Baron von Blubba is accompanied by an ominous theme tune, much as the Ghost in Spelunky warps the background music when it appears.

bender

What time is it?
Cleared the game for the first time today. Can't wait to see all the hidden craziness this game has to offer.

Question:

In all likelihood you are in fact playing it "wrong", but that's moreso due to not having acquired valuable information (through in-game experience) to march on from one world to the next. It's the position every Spelunky beginner is in, so you shouldn't be concerned about it too much.

One tip: a simple rock is a spelunker's best friend for setting off certain traps and hitting enemies from afar. It's a versatile tool!

Ghost can be avoided. It's very slow and thus prone to kiting. It also always spawns at the exact same time and you can manipulate from which direction it appears.

Had a terrible Daily Challenge run this morning, so I started over in Adventure mode. And I killed Olmec for the first time! I guess I should try going for City of gold now...
Cleared the game for the first time today. Can't wait to see all the hidden craziness this game has to offer.
Progress!

Question:

In a sense, you might be. If this is your first roguelike, you might be trying to play it as a normal platformer. Instead, consider it as a survival mode in any other game. "Beating" the game is an unrealistic goal for you for now; rather, focus on how long you can make it before dying, and learning from your deaths.

As you progress farther, you'll be able to unlock shortcuts to 2-1, 3-1 and 4-1. However, the entire game can be beaten in a sitting; coincidentally, I did just that this week, after playing it since summer and 600+ deaths.

Well, yep. :D

I made I through. I had bombs and ropes, but to don't think I had to use them. Maybe. Can't quite recall.

Yeah, I got through with bombs, I've just never ever seen a level need that. There's always ALWAYS supposed to be a no-item route through a level and I've never seen a level like the one today in near-1000 games so it really stood out!

Yeah, I got through with bombs, I've just never ever seen a level need that. There's always ALWAYS supposed to be a no-item route through a level and I've never seen a level like the one today in near-1000 games so it really stood out!
Always something new with this game....

BTW, if anyone wants to add me on PSN, my username is the same as my GAF handle.

I've had plenty of instances where near the start of the level there is a 3 block high obstruction that you'd need an item to take care of.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've had plenty of instances where near the start of the level there is a 3 block high obstruction that you'd need an item to take care of.
Go the other way. The game shouldn't force you to use any items at all if you take the normal path. It's how the engine is designed.

Of course enemies will force your hand most if the time.

Go the other way. The game shouldn't force you to use any items at all if you take the normal path. It's how the engine is designed.

Of course enemies will force your hand most if the time.

No other way. Wall on one side, 3 or 4 block tall obstruction other way. Forced to use rope or have some other item that increases your mobility.

It's rare but it happens.

And yeah playing the 1/20 PSN daily challenge, 1-4 is completely boxed in. No holes leading down from left wall to right wall.

sikkinixx

36 bombs, shotgun, jet pack, spike shoes, spring shoes, sticky bombs, gloves, 8 health.

Come at me bro.

Dies on first spike trap after being hit by a bat mid flight.

... Sigh.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No other way. Wall on one side, 3 or 4 block tall obstruction other way. Forced to use rope or have some other item that increases your mobility.

And yeah playing the 1/20 PSN daily challenge, 1-4 is completely boxed in. No holes leading down from left wall to right wall.
I don't know if the DC for all versions is the same, but I totally fucked that one up and didn't even make it out of 1-2. As usual I misjudged a fall and landed on spikes.

Though tomorrows I have already done and got to 1-4. I stole a shotgun from a shop and on the next level was unable to land on the shopkeeper at the exit before he shot me. Sadly it was the only way down to the exit. Almost made it to the jungle.

Of course it seems every time I'm doing well and get to the jungle, the game gives me a dark jungle level to fuck me over.

Been watching a lot of BaerTaffy Daily's on YouTube. Really wish I could do the arrow whip. Man that requires perfect timing.

Dies on first spike trap after being hit by a bat mid flight.

... Sigh.
I had a jetpack and Kapala (My first one ever.) and was all powered up and a bat knocked me down next to a spike trap.

Fuck bats.

mannerbot

Having the path completely blocked off is VERY rare. However, there can be situations that require a high level of knowledge to pass without using items: sometimes you'll need to set off a dynamite block perfectly, or open a vase with an enemy inside so you can jump on its head, or do some other difficult jump. Haven't seen that daily challenge though, so it may very well be one of these rare cases of an item absolutely being required.

Been watching a lot of BaerTaffy Daily's on YouTube. Really wish I could do the arrow whip. Man that requires perfect timing.

It looks a lot harder than it is. Just start practicing it, you'll see; the only hard part is the windup, the active frames last quite a while. Great tool to add to your arsenal.

Now that you mention it, I have seen that before. Still, I can see how that could occur based on this site which explains how a level in Spelunky is generated. I can't see how you could possibly get blocked in, though! It generated a level with no solution path. I'm pretty convinced it's yet another bug in the PSN version, I keep getting shops which are blocked up as well and I've never seen that on XBLA or Steam in far more games than I've played on PSN. It seems to be randomly placing a few blocks now and then where it shouldn't, causing shops to be blocked up and solution paths to be closed.

Sealed off shops do happen sporadically, yeah. Stumbled upon a few of those myself. There being no way to drop down to the next floor in a level is also extremely rare, but I had it happen to me once.

Also, daily challenge seeds are different per platform if I recall correctly.

In well over 600 games I've never seen a blocked shop, nor do I think I've ever ever encountered a blocked level either (not sure about other levels). I often think that a path is blocked when there is this sort of small, snakey tunnel with wood blocks and wood background that you can get through (hard to explain). Generally I only realize it when I go the other way and it's blocked.

In any case, isn't the dungeon generation algorithm the same for all versions? I'm not sure if even the seeds are the same for a given day for all version, but in any case, you should be able to watch a stream of someone doing yesterday's challenge for confirmation on whether the level was actually blocked.

MrDaravon

So finally beat the 360 version of this yesterday (the Temple is complete horseshit). Bought the PC version just so I could do Daily Challenges.

On my first daily challenge ever (today) I made it to Olmec and died. While it sucks that I died, that is AMAZING for me; I didn't have much trouble getting to the Temple (about 80 total deaths) it took me another ~160 on top of that after I had the Temple shortcut just to beat Olmec. I need a drink.

mannerbot

Huh. I figured it would be the same on each. Thought the engine would be the same and the seed came from the day's date or something.

The PS3 one might be different, because the Steam version's is hilariously simple: it's just month * day * year, so the daily for September 22, 2013 was the same as the one for November 18, 2013. It's going to be patched in a future update.

So finally beat the 360 version of this yesterday (the Temple is complete horseshit). Bought the PC version just so I could do Daily Challenges.

On my first daily challenge ever (today) I made it to Olmec and died. While it sucks that I died, that is AMAZING for me; I didn't have much trouble getting to the Temple (about 80 total deaths) it took me another ~160 on top of that after I had the Temple shortcut just to beat Olmec. I need a drink.

Grats, now go to hell!

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
This mod came out recently for the pc release - Seedlunky which allows you to play specific seeds. I don't think there's a mechanism in place to prevent you playing the same seed over and over, but its still worth for having challenge runs between friends if the daily challenge isn't cutting it enough for you.

Sealed off shops do happen sporadically, yeah. Stumbled upon a few of those myself. There being no way to drop down to the next floor in a level is also extremely rare, but I had it happen to me once.

Also, daily challenge seeds are different per platform if I recall correctly.

Well, let me check for today's challenge, I own it on Vita/PS3/PC.
Fake edit: Indeed they're different, or at least Vita is to PC. BTW, today's seeds are pretty cool; the Vita has a shotgun in a box on the bottom of 1-3 alongside with a buried compass, and PC has a restless dead level with Ash' tomb (+shotgun) right in front of the entrance. :)

Also, I accidentally angered the shopkeepers right in the Black Market during my Vita run, and for the first time, I was able to survive that and even kill all shopkeepers (although I consumed my just-stolen ankh in the process). I repeat, this was the very first time in over 700 games that I survived that. Well, what are the odds that the exact same thing happened in my PC run? (angered the shopkeepers accidentally and managed to kill them all)? The second time I had the shield with me, which made things easier and allowed me to keep the ankh and even get the hedjet later on.

Weird day...

MrDaravon

I actually couldn't really find this information anywhere, but when exactly does the Daily Challenge reset, at least on PC? I did a run last night at like 7pm, and right now it's still telling me I've already done today's challenge. I would have assumed it reset at midnight or something like that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I actually couldn't really find this information anywhere, but when exactly does the Daily Challenge reset, at least on PC? I did a run last night at like 7pm, and right now it's still telling me I've already done today's challenge. I would have assumed it reset at midnight or something like that.
Midnight GMT. Like literally right on the dot. It's 7pm eastern, 6 central, 5 mountain, 4 pacific.

I've actually finished the current days right at 6:59 and watched it change from red to yellow and played the next days right then and there.

MrDaravon

Midnight GMT. Like literally right on the dot. It's 7pm eastern, 6 central, 5 mountain, 4 pacific.

I've actually finished the current days right at 6:59 and watched it change from red to yellow and played the next days right then and there.

Thanks! I must have done it RIGHT after 7pm yesterday apparently.

This mod came out recently for the pc release - Seedlunky which allows you to play specific seeds. I don't think there's a mechanism in place to prevent you playing the same seed over and over, but its still worth for having challenge runs between friends if the daily challenge isn't cutting it enough for you.
It allows for abuse cases though, and apparently you won't die during the cutscene anymore when trying to ghost Olmec's Lair. Before you ask how:
destroy three altars for an instant ghost with each stage thereafter

Can't say I like whoever's responsible for this tool, even if the intended purpose behind it would make for a nice built-in feature (with leaderboard tracking disabled).

Daigoro

wtf just happened?

i was on 1-2 or 3, sacrificed a damsel and then bought a slave and sacrificed him too. the kapala shows up on the screen and a few levels later i wonder why im not gaining any health, the kapala was nowhere to be seen... any ideas? i know i saw it appear on Kali's alter.

just sacrificed a second damsel and about 5 cavemen in the Jungle and nothing... mustve glitched out.

and a third Damsel and a few yetis in ice caves. yeah its glitched... :/

lol same run in the black market a freed slave just telefragged himself with the teleporter! haha.

I had the shotgun, eight health, and something like 40 bombs on PSN this morning. Fucked up a jump and landed on a mantrap

i did the same shit on the daily on PSN yesterday. hate myself.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was doing so well on today's Daily Challenge. (January 23rd) I got to the Black Market without angering any shopkeepers (Mostly since none of them had any shotguns or jetpacks until then) and was looking around at the spoils. The first one had a jetpack, but I didn't want to grab it until I scouted out the rest. None of them had a shotgun. A couple of them had freeze rays and web guns, but no shotgun. So I headed up to the first floor again to check it out and maybe steal the freeze ray or something when a vampire bat (It was a Restless Dead Black Market) on the second floor flew into the kissing booth. I don't know what happened, but as soon as I made a slightest move to attack it, I was dead from the shotgun. The vampire survived of course and mocked me the whole time I was getting tossed around in my death.

Fucking hell.

Note to self: NEVER ATTACK AN ENEMY IN A SHOP! I should have turned and ran the other direction. I did not expect it to be a vampire bat.

I need to be more observant. Yesterday's DC had better shops though.

Edit: On the bright side, I made it to the Ice Caves for the second time...
ibblBTJJbvSQYC.gif

Oh, don't worry. He'll tire himself out eventually.

mannerbot

I was doing so well on today's Daily Challenge. (January 23rd) I got to the Black Market without angering any shopkeepers (Mostly since none of them had any shotguns or jetpacks until then) and was looking around at the spoils. The first one had a jetpack, but I didn't want to grab it until I scouted out the rest. None of them had a shotgun. A couple of them had freeze rays and web guns, but no shotgun. So I headed up to the first floor again to check it out and maybe steal the freeze ray or something when a vampire bat (It was a Restless Dead Black Market) on the second floor flew into the kissing booth. I don't know what happened, but as soon as I made a slightest move to attack it, I was dead from the shotgun. The vampire survived of course and mocked me the whole time I was getting tossed around in my death.

Fucking hell.

Note to self: NEVER ATTACK AN ENEMY IN A SHOP! I should have turned and ran the other direction. I did not expect it to be a vampire bat.

That's a really risky way of robbing the black market.
If you don't have any weapons, just drop a bomb on the left ledge outside of the shop and hide either behind the left ledge where the entrance is or up top on a rope. The top floor shopkeepers should all drop down, and then you have all of the items on the first tier to work with plus the higher ground advantage. To get the ankh, just maintain high ground (use a rope if you have to) and throw bombs at the platform of the ladder, they'll fall down into the ankh pit. If there isn't anything you want on the bottom tier just bomb your way to the exit from there. I don't see how freeze ray is even remotely useful here btw, hah.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's a really risky way of robbing the black market.
If you don't have any weapons, just drop a bomb on the left ledge outside of the shop and hide either behind the left ledge where the entrance is or up top on a rope. The top floor shopkeepers should all drop down, and then you have all of the items on the first tier to work with plus the higher ground advantage. To get the ankh, just maintain high ground (use a rope if you have to) and throw bombs at the platform of the ladder, they'll fall down into the ankh pit. If there isn't anything you want on the bottom tier just bomb your way to the exit from there. I don't see how freeze ray is even remotely useful here btw, hah.
They never even gave me a chance too. Stupid vampire bat decided he was hungry.

Edit: Whoo. Just got the furthest I ever got so far. 3-3. In the end I was killed when I fell when the falling platform I was hanging from fell and I landed on a mine. I blew up into the air and floated gracefully dead to the ground because I had a parachute.

I got to the Ice Caves for the third time ever and was so excited to see Tunnel Man.... until I remembered I was playing the Daily Challenge and he doesn't show up there! Nooooo!

Well, I did it once, I can do it again. This time I didn't anger any shopkeepers either. It was really sweet and fun. Really want to unlock the Ice Cave shortcut so I can practice getting around it. I only died because my path down was limited. One side had two mammoths. The other the unknown. I took the unknown. Unfortunately I didn't have any gloves else I'd have not died. (As I'd have just lowered myself normally down the wall.)

I practiced beforehand by doing a bunch of speed runs. Never got past like 2-2 during them but it was good practice. I don't know how anyone can get through in 7 minutes. It took me 7 minutes to get out of the mines while speeding!

Daigoro

congrats. keep going!

yeah those falling platforms are real dangerous. i always tread very lightly anywhere near those things. you can die a lot of ways because of those suckers.

Railer

Been trying to get into Spelunky after owning it for quite some time without really spending time with it.

I've made it to the frost caves once only, but I'm slowly getting better. Got this weapon from a crate in the mines today, sadly I had never seen it before so I kinda ended up killing myself with it :)

http://i.imgur.com/wKio2bK.jpg

Essay

How do people deal with the long drops on some jungle stages? I don't always have ropes, and last time I couldn't even see an enemy to land on. Am I just boned if I get myself into that situation?

I don't see how freeze ray is even remotely useful here btw, hah.[/spoiler]

If any shop has a freeze ray, you can grab it, shoot the shopkeeper, and jump on him for an instant kill. With regular shops it's 100% guaranteed, 100% risk free. In the market, the biggest danger would be the next-door shopkeeper, but if you're fast enough you should be able to grab the shotgun of the just-shattered shopkeeper and blast the live one, especially if you killed the first as far away from the second as you can (the first one will follow you as soon as you grab the freeze ray, so positioning him is easy).

How do people deal with the long drops on some jungle stages? I don't always have ropes, and last time I couldn't even see an enemy to land on. Am I just boned if I get myself into that situation?

There should never be a damaging drop in the main path of a level, but you might have to hang from the edge before jumping down, and/or land on elevated blocks. In theory it should be possible to complete the game without using a single rope or taking fall damage. By the way, even though you can catch an edge while falling to completely negate fall damage, again, the game will never force to do this to avoid damage.

Also, to hang from an edge, do not crouch-walk towards it; doing so makes you drop your held item. Instead, walk off, then immediately hold the opposite direction as you fall. With some practice you can do this 100% of the time, even running.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If any shop has a freeze ray, you can grab it, shoot the shopkeeper, and jump on him for an instant kill. With regular shops it's 100% guaranteed, 100% risk free. In the market, the biggest danger would be the next-door shopkeeper, but if you're fast enough you should be able to grab the shotgun of the just-shattered shopkeeper and blast the live one, especially if you killed the first as far away from the second as you can (the first one will follow you as soon as you grab the freeze ray, so positioning him is easy).
Wait, if you freeze a shopkeeper, the fame won't set the aggro flag and other shopkeepers won't be mad? Am I reading that right?

Top Bottom