• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky |OT| With Fate Guiding My Every Move

Jex

As someone who's played the original Spelunky for over 80 hours and actually beaten it, I do find the menu-driven stuff annoying. The original game had a very smooth, elegant opening that naturally transitioned into gameplay with no artificial barriers. Of course, Microsoft dictates that every game has to have menus and leaderboards so they can't quite get away with that (even though Braid managed to pull off the cold opening).

The game itself is still great though. It's dangerously addictive.

Glix

I am stoked to play this game all night. I am at my last day of work until SUNDAY THE 22nd!!!! Vacation and Spelunky and Theatrhythm! Woot!

Jex

As a veteran Spelunky player (or possibly addict) I will offer some words of wisdom -

- 90% of the time you will die because when you went too fast and weren't paying attention to the world. You'll fall off something of blow up a damsel or piss off a shop keeper. If you play slow and boring you'll probably make it through okay (until something really bad happens).

- It's rarely, if ever, worth it to go that extremely dangerous location just to pick up a bigger gem/open a chest. You will die and it will suck.

- Luck plays a big part. If a shop keep is selling a shotgun (and you can afford it) you are on easy street.

- Always carry something you can throw to set off traps. You can throw stuff down (hold stick down) across (dont hold stick) and up (hold stick up). Watch out for stuff bouncing back and hitting you on the head.

- Bombing is a great way to short-cut really dangerous portions of the map (or even go straight to the exit!) but be careful.

- I hate spiders.

As someone who's played the original Spelunky for over 80 hours and actually beaten it, I do find the menu-driven stuff annoying. The original game had a very smooth, elegant opening that naturally transitioned into gameplay with no artificial barriers. Of course, Microsoft dictates that every game has to have menus and leaderboards so they can't quite get away with that (even though Braid managed to pull off the cold opening).

On the plus side, the quick restart makes it really smooth to keep playing after a loss, so you really only have to deal with the menus once per session.

sophora

Got it this morning and took a break just now. Made it to 4-1 but damn...was steamrolled by the mobs there. Great game, will definitely play more after lunch. A whole lot of my deaths (just below 50 so far) feels like it's my fault, not the game. It definitely rewards for those who will take the time to pay attention and punishes you for being to hasty and reckless. I do love how emergent the maps can be at times, random explosions off in a different part or unintentionally pissing Kali off haha.

Zia

Got it this morning and took a break just now. Made it to 4-1 but damn...was steamrolled by the mobs there. Great game, will definitely play more after lunch. A whole lot of my deaths (just below 50 so far) feels like it's my fault, not the game. It definitely rewards for those who will take the time to pay attention and punishes you for being to hasty and reckless. I do love how emergent the maps can be at times, random explosions off in a different part or unintentionally pissing Kali off haha.

4-1 in under fifty deaths is pretty awesome!

Oh God, this game is so good. Played for an hour (farthest I got was 1-4 :( ).

Had to stop playing because I have to go out, but as soon as I get back it's on to more Spelunking!

B00TE

Just made it to 4-1, as well as making it through the ice caves my first time. That was a stupid good run. I had 10 HP going into the ice caves, left with 8. And then instantly died right at the start of 4-1 haha.

EDIT: Made it there on my 26th try. Holy shit.

AHA-Lambda

Tried the demo, intrigued but yeah it's definitely quite a hard and challenging game.

Sorry if this has been asked but:

1) Are there any checkpoints of any kind in this game?
2) How long is it?

I don't wanna maybe buy this and then just find myself at a brick wall unable to continue, after I'm assuming the demo was the easy stuff =/

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
You could always download the PC version for free and try that.

http://spelunkyworld.com/original.html

Not sure how different it is, I just learned of the free version myself and have literally just downloaded it upon reading this thread.

Aside from the obvious HD-ification, the old version has fewer monsters and items, no multiplayer modes, and lacks the ability to pick which damsel (lady, man, pug) you want to save or which character sprite you want to use. Other than that, they play more or less the same - if you really want to gauge whether this is worth your money, the original is definitely a good barometer.

Really, it's a fantastic game for people who like losing - and I mean that sincerely. It's sort of a 2D platformer roguelike; what Binding of Isaac was to top-down shooters this is to Castlevania. It's the sort of game where you're carrying a damsel and toss her down into a pit only to trigger a turret you didn't see that shoots her across the map into an idol that triggers a boulder to run you over, and the result is hilarious even though you have to start over. If that's the sort of thing that excites you, the game is absolutely great. If that sounds frustrating and dumb, stay away.

Tried the demo, intrigued but yeah it's definitely quite a hard and challenging game.

Sorry if this has been asked but:

1) Are there any checkpoints of any kind in this game?
2) How long is it?

I don't wanna maybe buy this and then just find myself at a brick wall unable to continue, after I'm assuming the demo was the easy stuff =/

1) You can unlock new shortcuts to each "world" after getting to it a few times. Each world is 4 levels long, and there's I think 4 worlds total? But yes, you can slowly buy shortcuts to the subsequent levels by giving the shortcut tunneler guy bombs and such. Once you've paid him enough visits and given him enough of what he needs you can skip straight there.

2) There's an achievement for the game to be beaten in 8 minutes, so if you're looking for raw length of the game this isn't for you. However, no one - no one - will get 8 minutes of gameplay out of this. It's too hard, and there's too many interesting things to find and characters to unlock. Really, the length of the game depends upon how interested you are in playing through pseudo-randomized action platformer levels while collecting gold and avoiding monsters in wacky situations. For some people it's hours and hours and hours, for some people it's not.

naib

Love the PC version. Been really looking forward to this. Going to buy it as soon as I get home.

I'm hoping my girlfriend will get a kick out of it too. Maybe.

AHA-Lambda

1) You can unlock new shortcuts to each "world" after getting to it a few times. Each world is 4 levels long, and there's I think 4 worlds total? But yes, you can slowly buy shortcuts to the subsequent levels by giving the shortcut tunneler guy bombs and such. Once you've paid him enough visits and given him enough of what he needs you can skip straight there.

2) There's an achievement for the game to be beaten in 8 minutes, so if you're looking for raw length of the game this isn't for you. However, no one - no one - will get 8 minutes of gameplay out of this. It's too hard, and there's too many interesting things to find and characters to unlock. Really, the length of the game depends upon how interested you are in playing through pseudo-randomized action platformer levels while collecting gold and avoiding monsters in wacky situations. For some people it's hours and hours and hours, for some people it's not.

Thanks, yeah I knew this was the sort of game that would take a long time to complete, just curious though.

Definitely intrigued after the demo though, as difficult as even that was.

Voidguts

okay.. the game is pretty much as incredible as I'd hoped it would be. one problem, though! I need more people on my leaderboards! if you think you are gonna be spending a lot of time on Spelunky, send me a friend request at Iragiry.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Huh, I gave the guy a bomb for the shortcut, died, went back to the entrance screen and the shortcut is still under construction?

How does that work?

Huh, I gave the guy a bomb for the shortcut, died, went back to the entrance screen and the shortcut is still under construction?

How does that work?

He needs more stuff.

I just accidentally sacrificed myself. I'm so bad at Spelunky that I accidentally offered myself up as a sacrifice. Good grief.

daycru

How does that work?
To unlock a tunnel you must meet him three times where he'll ask for 3 different items/amounts of gold.

sophora

Went through a crazy run to the Ice caves. I feel like the shopkeepers in this are a lot more dangerous than the PC version.

Shurs

I released a companion from a casket and she followed me into the shop.

While I was pondering a purchase, she grabbed a pair of sunglasses and made off with them, which led to the shopkeeper killing me with his shotgun.

Shurs

Just got near the exit of 1-3 and the shopkeeper was waiting there with a shotgun. He killed me before I could make it through.

I didn't do anything to provoke him, though I was being chased by the ghost, which is what I think triggered him.

The crazy thing is that his shop was nowhere near the exit.

Just got near the exit of 1-3 and the shopkeeper was waiting there with a shotgun. He killed me before I could make it through.

I didn't do anything to provoke him, though I was being chased by the ghost, which is what I think triggered him.

The crazy thing is that his shop was nowhere near the exit.

Did you do anything to the 1-2 shopkeep?

Zia

I think one of my favorite moments was late Mine, 1-3 or 1-4. It was an amazingly generous level, and I grabbed everything I could, threw the pug into the exit and went back up top to grab an idol. I came up under it and blew the floor out. The boulder dropped straight down through the hole I had made and into a shop, and a room with the crazy, hermetic pseudo-shopkeeper. They were both off-screen and I heard the music start up and thought, "Uh-oh." I did not make it to the exit.

clockpunk

Having a phenomenally fun time with it thus far. There is one tiny niggling detail I would have liked to see, and that is the damsels (/pugs/beefcakes) feature a little... variety, in their appearance. Just a minor thing, I know...

I assume that a kiss at the end of a level restores one point of life? I have always forgotten to check to see if that is the case upon spawning in a new level...!

I made it to the final boss (starting from the caves) ...and died stupidly. :(

I forgot how nasty that third area is without a cape or jetpack. Especially with some of the new traps/enemies. I stranded myself more than a couple of times by burning through too many ropes.

I assume that a kiss at the end of a level restores one point of life?

Yep.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Every time I piss off a shopkeeper there's one at every exit, unless I've just been getting really unlucky.

I beat the Jungle for the first time with 8 hearts. Right at the start of the caves I
walked on something glowing, heard a beep and blew up on a mine.
Son of a bitch.

B00TE

Got the shortcut built for the ice caves now. Ice caves feel so much easier than the jungle. Just have to take a little more time in plotting your jumps.

Top Bottom