• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer: We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

They spent $2 billion on Minecraft alone. That's 40 IOs.
Hell, $50 million could be worth it just for the Hitman IP, which was successful enough to spawn 2 big budget movies. Only a handful of videogame IPs can say that.
The point is, it's a better investment than another Ryse or GTAIV DLC. Titanfall probably cost even more, and they didn't get to keep the studio OR the IP.

Investment needs to be going into talent and studios, not just brands and IP.

Minecraft is the biggest game on the planet and makes more money than every other game they've released this generation combined. Hitman 2016, as great as it was, underperformed and led to IO's parent company cutting them loose. There's a reason nobody picked them, clearly nobody in the industry saw them and Hitman as worth it.

Anyhow, investing in talent and studios is obviously ideal but it's significantly easier said than done.

"Signed" makes it sound like just some more outsourced IPs like Ryse and Sunset Overdrive. Which is okay, but what happens when those become a success? Let the actual talent move on to a different platform using the experience they gained on your game (a la Insomniac, Playground), and then build copy-cat factory studios that will never reach the heights of the creators (a la 343, Coalition)?

Granted building new studios is hard, but there are other ways. Sony didn't create Naughty Dog after all.

Here's some things you could do:

Expand Rare, have them become your Japan Studios (multiple projects, hardware support)

Acquire A4, have them become your Guerilla Games
Acquire IO Interactive, have them become your Santa Monica
Acquire Remedy, have them become your Naughty Dog
Acquire Playground Games, have them become your Liverpool Studios
Acquire People Can Fly, have them become your Quantic Dreams

Add another team to Coalition
Add another team to 343

Whatever you do PLEASE don't rely on outsourcing for new IP.

Their current outlook is "All of those studios are going to bring their games to the platform anyway so why buy them?"

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I guess that pretty much settles that for the next 3 years it's Halo, Gears and Forza.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
All of these interviews I've read this all with him concerning this makes it sound like he was more concerned with getting the hardware straightened out before games. Which is fair. Now that the hardware is sorted, on with the games.
Is it, though? What other companies do that, handling hardware first and then moving on to software? Should these matters not be settled at the same time?

By the time he starts sorting out software it will already be time for new hardware. And then what?

shmoglish

. Which is fair. Now that the hardware is sorted, on with the games.

Lol.

They have an existing userbase already. Buying launchexclusivity for indiegames is nice, but a midgenhardwareupgrade is not a good reason for the lack of Aaa/first party games.

Nothing close to this is happening. Dream smaller.

And considering MS just recently turned down a new AAA game from one of those devs, perhaps much smaller.

I wonder if it's Remedy, might be understandable with how their last couple of games ended up performing.

spanks

You do realize they have limited budget right?

Just 2% of their Minecraft budget could get them a AAA studio.
Or imagine if, instead of buying timed exclusivity for the GTA4 DLC ($50 million, same as IOI), they had bought their next Naughty Dog.

Minecraft is the biggest game on the planet and makes more money than every other game they've released this generation combined. Hitman 2016, as great as it was, underperformed and led to IO's parent company cutting them loose. There's a reason nobody picked them, clearly nobody in the industry saw them and Hitman as worth it.

Anyhow, investing in talent and studios is obviously ideal but it's significantly easier said than done.

Hitman underperformed because of it's ill-informed delivery method and terrible management by its publisher. That's no reason to throw a clearly talented studio under the bus.
The fact that IOI is so undervalued right now is exactly why Microsoft should buy them. They clearly can make great games with great tech. They could easily make something as great looking as Uncharted if they wanted to. Just look at Hitman; a AAA game hampered by episodic sales, ambitiously hardcore gameplay, and lack of marketing. A linear, mass-market game with fantastic visuals would be a walk in the park for them.

Their current outlook is "All of those studios are going to bring their games to the platform anyway so why buy them?"

Which is a mindset they can't have when they aren't the market leader anymore. People will just play all those games on the most popular console, which is PS4.

atpbx

Looks like Phil's brain can't keep up with what his arse is saying.

If he took his feet out of his mouth and used that to speak instead he might not come over like such a weasel.

spanks

Regardless of their first party situation, it's hilarious watching people still pretend like the Minecraft acquisition wasn't 1000% worth it for them.

Sure, it was worth it. But the future of the Xbox brand is worth even more. And that relies on a homegrown stable of exclusives, which comes from homegrown talent.

Which is why it's so frustrating/hilarious that they will pour hundreds of millions into something like Titanfall and Nike and NFL parnterships, which did nothing to help Xbox. That money alone would have funded multiple new studios. Which is what they need, and what ultimately will be the downfall of the Xbox brand if they can't nurture any new successful IP (which they haven't since Gears on 360).

DMYxG_s-200x150.gif

Looks like Phil's brain can't keep up with what his arse is saying.

If he took his feet out of his mouth and used that to speak instead he might not come over like such a weasel.

This is a disgusting way to talk about someone you know nothing about.

Which is a mindset they can't have when they aren't the market leader anymore. People will just play all those games on the most popular console, which is PS4.

As long as Nintendo's AAA third party support continues to be in the shadow realm they'll be fine. They'll invest in AAA first party stuff but if you're expecting them to become a 15 internal studio team on the level of Sony its not happening.

Sure, it was worth it. But the future of the Xbox brand is worth even more. And that relies on a homegrown stable of exclusives, which comes from homegrown talent.

Which is why it's so frustrating/hilarious that they will pour hundreds of millions into something like Titanfall and Nike and NFL parnterships, which did nothing to help Xbox. That money alone would have funded multiple new studios. Which is what they need, and what ultimately will be the downfall of the Xbox brand if they can't nurture any new successful IP (which they haven't since Gears on 360).
The money they spent on Minecraft most likely had zero impact on their resources for Xbox. While it seems like Phil is the one that made that deal happen, it was obviously an acquisition that was for Microsoft as a whole, not just their gaming division. It wasn't an either/or scenario. That money wasn't going to be spent on some AAA Japanese game that no one would've played anyway instead if they hadn't bought Mojang. And there's no reality where buying one of the most successful and important IPs in the world wasn't the right decision to make.

You have no facts to back up your claim. Titanfall sold well. There's no telling how much worse the launch of the X1 would've been without them having that game to point to as an exciting exclusive.

Forza Horizon and Ori = 2 successful new franchises/IP that they're continuing to build, that launched after Gears.

But yeah, hopefully Phil backs up his claims soon and we see more first party investment.

GHG

Gold Member
The money they spent on Minecraft most likely had zero impact on their resources for Xbox. While it seems like Phil is the one that made that deal happen, it was obviously an acquisition that was for Microsoft as a whole, not just their gaming division. It wasn't an either/or scenario. That money wasn't going to be spent on some AAA Japanese game that no one would've played anyway instead if they hadn't bought Mojang. And there's no reality where buying one of the most successful and important IPs in the world wasn't the right decision to make.

You have no facts to back up your claim. Titanfall sold well. There's no telling how much worse the launch of the X1 would've been without them having that game to point to as an exciting exclusive.

Forza Horizon and Ori = 2 successful new franchises/IP that they're continuing to build, that launched after Gears.

But yeah, hopefully Phil backs up his claims soon and we see more first party investment.

Forza Horizon isn't a new franchise this gen.

GHG

Gold Member
He said after Gears. Horizon started after Gears. FH3 is also the best game in the series and from what we can tell the series is on an upward trajectory sales wise.

Ah fair enough, misread it then. And I'm not disputing the quality of the Horizon franchise in any way, believe me.

David___

Banned
All of these interviews I've read this all with him concerning this makes it sound like he was more concerned with getting the hardware straightened out before games. Which is fair. Now that the hardware is sorted, on with the games.

How? The people who make the hardware aren't the same ones who make the games

Regardless of their first party situation, it's hilarious watching people still pretend like the Minecraft acquisition wasn't 1000% worth it for them.

It depends on who is "them" in this situation.

It's been a great acquisition for Microsoft which allowed them to reach a most likely new audience which they can try to build brand loyalty or to promote some of their other services.

Now regarding Xbox, the Minecraft brand isn't associated with the Xbox brand and won't be for a very long time. They haven't gained much from it aside from the revenue made through game sales and I don't think that it helped their ecosystem in a meaningful manner.

Now since Xbox is supposedly becoming "gaming" from Microsoft that might change but as of now they feel like two separate entities.

They didn't buy Minecraft because of Xbox. They didn't even buy Minecraft for their gaming division in general. It has potential benefits for both, but that isn't what that purchase was about.

I'd bet internally they look at Minecraft in the same way they view something like Office or Azure.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
He says he's against exclusive content where things are exclusive to one version of a game and not available to the other versions of the game.

He didn't say he's against exclusive games period. Why do I need to explain this to people?

Because it does not make sense to anyone who does not have an interest in Xbox alone and wants Xbox to dominate.

Chris1

He isnt right, he is full of shit. This blind faith defies logic. Phil is a nice fella but he is lost here, wake up dude.
When all you can say is "he isn't right he's full of shit" without posting evidence to back you up maybe it's you whos full of shit?

Not a single game from last E3 that they showed is due out for after next E3 except for anthem I believe which is an ea game and multiplat

Now of course delays etc happen but as it stands they'll all be out before E3 2018 except anthem. But even that still fits with what the other guy was saying as it's still due out next year

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
But I thought he didn't like exclusive deals?

I thought that exclusives were holding back the industry or something. Can't keep up with Spencer.

wonder if the rumored leak about exclusive capcom projects and exclusive obsidian (different one) project are what he is referencing.

It's fantastic that he's saying that but with the current number of first-party studios (and their ongoing respective IP), I don't really see how that's feasible aside from second-party investment?

The first-party studio lineup needs to be scaled up first and I'm not sure that's something that's necessarily happening yet.

Wait, signed? So exclusives from third-party's?

What about the first party stuff?

Apologies if I misread, I'm ill right now.

I don't believe this is third party exclusives.

This would be first party IP, being developed by third parties is my guess.

Think Killer Instinct, Halo Wars 2

But in 2-3 years we'll probably be close to a new Box again...what then? Will Phil concentrate on the new hardware again? Is he working all alone at Xbox or something?

He says he's against exclusive content where things are exclusive to one version of a game and not available to the other versions of the game.

He didn't say he's against exclusive games period. Why do I need to explain this to people?

Because majority of them lack the brain power to tell the difference. It's best to just move on and ignore them. My 4 year old seem to have better comprehension skills than a lot of the posters on here.

Dueck

Banned
I like Phil Spencer. He seems like a straight-shooter and it's simply a case of the fluid nature of the industry causing some hiccups. He's doing a good job based on what he inherited. And let's face it, Mattrick's mess is not a forgotten memory for a lot of people. It is disappointing that there weren't more announcements, but I understand not wanting another Scalebound incident. MS can't afford to repeat that debacle so soon. Remember the Xbox One announcement? That kind of thing doesn't blow over for years, and relies a bit on others making some missteps to help sweep it under the rug... This best summarizes how that announcement went for me:

4mTNIVo.gif

black070

During the run up to E3, I was reading posts saying game development takes time to explain why we hadn't seen the many exclusives Phil supposedly signed since taking charge, and telling people if E3 doesn't change that then there's reason to be concerned.. now we have to wait another 2-3 years huh.

SOR5

There are some projects that will take 2-3 years to finish, so im showing games that will release in the very near future

Replies:
'Full of shit'
'Booo fuck you they're gonna get cancelled'
'Yeah whatever you fucking liar'

...GAF I understand cutting edge scepticism but some of you are acting like absolute three year olds, are you genuinely expecting no new games from MS ever again? It's astounding

Like seriously? 'full of shit'?'

MilkyJoe

Salty agendas. Gaf has been shocking since Sunday. I'm genuinely surprised by some of the crap I've read on here, this week.

Iksenpets

Banned
Signing games is cool and all, but they really need to be building the first party apparatus to make games on a sustainable basis. Like, they did a great job signing games during the start of the 360, but eventually that dried up and they didn't have the first party to carry them, leading to the situation with the Xbox One. Nothing is going to solve that long term except for building actual studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom