• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman: Homecoming - Adrian Toomes (The Vulture) isn't working class

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm saying realistically, he's the owner of a construction company. He should be finding future contracts and making sure he has other things to do after this ends. Also it wasn't a 5 man operation. Instead he's overseeing workers and showing them how to do construction. That's silly. " you gotta use the alien tech to cut it. " cmon.

Exposition, breh.
Half the people I know who watched this never even saw The Avengers.

Wvrs

I think the author of that article is (wrongly) conflating economic class with social class. Being working class is about so much more than how much money you have in the bank: it's about your family history, your social networks, your speech styles, the school you went to, your societal prestige. I have a University degree and work as a teacher. I was born into poverty and worked my way up from nothing; it was hard, and still is it times. That history doesn't just go away because I'm relatively comfortable now. Most of my family still live paycheque to paycheque. I still consider myself working class, and will always do so even if I get to a point where I own multiple businesses and pull in a large salary.

Unless the author is contending that you're only working class if you live and die in poverty. That seems a bit of a depressing message to put across, and rather condescending.

Fury451

Banned
i thnk they didnt show the transition from

Successful clean up to losing his business to a lucrative life of crime

Its possible he did bottom out before he stared making bank on salvage but... they definitely didnt show it

I think this was it. He was running a scrap business, probably doing ok but nothing special.

Got screwed out of a lucrative contract, lost out on a lot and suffered financially for it. Became a successful criminal, therefore, profit.

I figured the working class part was true, and he got rich in between. He tries to maintain that ideal after but he's long past it being true by that point.

Valhelm

contribute something
Petty-bourg reactionaries masquerading as the working class have been carried conservatives to electoral victory at least since the days of Reagan, so it's kinda cool that the new Spiderman incorporated this phenomenon. One of the most destructive attitudes in America is that hard work in traditional blue collar positions is more legitimate than hard work in white collar positions, even though the most poorly-treated and disrespected American workers tend to be those locked into shitty part-time jobs at malls or fast food restaurants.

Something I see a lot are right-leaning folks like Mike Rowe who claim to celebrate working class people while really just valorizing the act of work itself, usually suggesting that particularly unpleasant work deserves more than the shitty jobs that involve air conditioning and computers. While I don't think Mike Rowe has bad intentions, shitty work is an aspect of our society that needs to be minimized rather than celebrated. Treating farmers as heroes and fry cooks as moochers is very reactionary, because this hard labor evangelism comes at the expensive of other working class people, like retail clerks or nurses, who work all day doing shit jobs but don't get a TV show because they're not wearing overalls. Mike Rowe also usually celebrated workers who, despite having shitty jobs, either owned their own business or had a viable path for advancement. While I don't to trade my current film gig for a career raising hogs, that kind of job offers a stability and financial independence that working class people don't enjoy, because even the farmer who works in pig shit doesn't have a boss to answer to. Considering this, it's really suspicious that conservatives who go on about hard work and bootstraps never mention the millions of day laborers and farm workers in America, who work just as hard and dirty as Mike Rowe would like yet have no means of being their own boss or even making a living wage.

This omission has some particularly nasty implications when you consider that dirtier blue collar jobs (steelworkers, farmers) have long been associated with traditional norms of masculinity and of whiteness. Reactionary movements have celebrated workers without helping them since before the USA existed, because hard-working laborers are a nice mascot for traditional values, a noble savage upon whom you can project your own attitudes of white supremacy and self-reliance, in contrast to the soft-handed city folk who would rather vote for a more progressive set of elites. When Trump devoted a whole graph of his speech to ordinary, hardworking Americans, he wan't talking about the millions of black and brown women scraping by at a retail job for less than $10 an hour, and he certainly wasn't speaking about the millions of Spanish-speaking immigrants who work so hard with so little regulation that a farm worker dies on the job every 22 hours.

The petty-bourg perspective of Michael Keaton's character is very common on the right, and directly enables an anti-worker agenda in the insinuation that small business owners who get their hands dirty the real workers, and not those lazy minorities who suck up our tax dollars even though they've never driven a tractor or fixed a tire. Mike Rowe and Mike the Vulture are not working class people, and their role as small-time employers usually positions them in direct opposition to the interests of workers. Ceding ground to their agenda harms working-class causes like the unionization of retail workers, because small-time capitalists like The Vulture can't squeeze as much profit out of organized workers. It's cool for a comic movie to showcase real-life villainy for a change.

Petty-bourg reactionaries masquerading as the working class have been carried conservatives to electoral victory at least since the days of Reagan, so it's kinda cool that the new Spiderman incorporated this phenomenon. One of the most destructive attitudes in America is that hard work in traditional blue collar positions is more legitimate than hard work in white collar positions, even though the most poorly-treated and disrespected American workers tend to be those locked into shitty part-time jobs at malls or fast food restaurants.

Something I see a lot are right-leaning folks like Mike Rowe who claim to celebrate working class people while really just valorizing the act of work itself, usually suggesting that particularly unpleasant work deserves more than the shitty jobs that involve air conditioning and computers. While I don't think Mike Rowe has bad intentions, shitty work is an aspect of our society that needs to be minimized rather than celebrated. Treating farmers as heroes and fry cooks as moochers is very reactionary, because this hard labor evangelism comes at the expensive of other working class people, like retail clerks or nurses, who work all day doing shit jobs but don't get a TV show because they're not wearing overalls. Mike Rowe also usually celebrated workers who, despite having shitty jobs, either owned their own business or had a viable path for advancement. While I don't to trade my current film gig for a career raising hogs, that kind of job offers a stability and financial independence that working class people don't enjoy, because even the farmer who works in pig shit doesn't have a boss to answer to. Considering this, it's really suspicious that conservatives who go on about hard work and bootstraps never mention the millions of day laborers and farm workers in America, who work just as hard and dirty as Mike Rowe would like yet have no means of being their own boss or even making a living wage.

This omission has some particularly nasty implications when you consider that dirtier blue collar jobs (steelworkers, farmers) have long been associated with traditional norms of masculinity and of whiteness. Reactionary movements have celebrated workers without helping them since before the USA existed, because hard-working laborers are a nice mascot for traditional values, a noble savage upon whom you can project your own attitudes of white supremacy and self-reliance, in contrast to the soft-handed city folk who would rather vote for a more progressive set of elites. When Trump devoted a whole graph of his speech to ordinary, hardworking Americans, he wan't talking about the millions of black and brown women scraping by at a retail job for less than $10 an hour, and he certainly wasn't speaking about the millions of Spanish-speaking immigrants who work so hard with so little regulation that a farm worker dies on the job every 22 hours.

The petty-bourg perspective of Michael Keaton's character is very common on the right, and directly enables an anti-worker agenda in the insinuation that small business owners who get their hands dirty the real workers, and not those lazy minorities who suck up our tax dollars even though they've never driven a tractor or fixed a tire. Mike Rowe and Mike the Vulture are not working class people, and their role as small-time employers usually positions them in direct opposition to the interests of workers. Ceding ground to their agenda harms working-class causes like the unionization of retail workers, because small-time capitalists like The Vulture can't squeeze as much profit out of organized workers. It's cool for a comic movie to showcase real-life villainy for a change.

Is there really any need for this level of analysis? It was a fun movie not social commentary.

Lol.

Valhelm

contribute something
Is there really any need for this level of analysis? It was a fun movie not social commentary.

dude I don't even like superhero movies, it's just cool that these poor suffering smalltime capitalists are getting their mask torn off on the international stage

Kieli

Is the bodega owner working class?

Absolutely, despite what a certain business owner in this thread asserts.

The bodega owner may even hire a few seasonal/non-seasonal workers to staff his bodega, but I'd argue he's still working class. Like he told Parker, ya gotta study so you don't end up like him.

The overall premise of the article is that business owners that employ actual working class workers are not working class themselves. Toomes probably started out as working class and it's often hard to shed those associations once you move up a tax bracket or two. The dumb thing is that he had a contract with the city and then a government agency came in and pushed him out. Rather than sue the city for breach of contract he immediately moves into arms smuggling.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Brehbreh got a contract to clean up a fukin alien invasion

I would say he already had a very successful business if New York City contracted him

For all we know he only got a contract to clean up that building.

The overall premise of the article is that business owners that employ actual working class workers are not working class themselves. Toomes probably started out as working class and it's often hard to shed those associations once you move up a tax bracket or two. The dumb thing is that he had a contract with the city and then a government agency came in and pushed him out. Rather than sue the city for breach of contract he immediately moves into arms smuggling.

What money was he going to use to sue the city? And how was he going to win when it wasn't even the city's call to push him out?

Bronx-Man

Banned
The whole point of Vulture is that he's a huge fucking hypocrite. He profits off of the messes other people make just like he accuses Stark of.

LosDaddie

Banned

The bodega owner may even hire a few seasonal/non-seasonal workers to staff his bodega, but I'd argue he's still working class. Like he told Parker, ya gotta study so you don't end up like him.

Well said.

Brehbreh got a contract to clean up a fukin alien invasion

I would say he already had a very successful business if New York City contracted him

How much experience do you have in the construction industry?

Getting a city contract doesn't mean much, especially considering the size of the NYC. We don't even know if Toomes was the General Contractor for the project.

The whole point of Vulture is that he's a huge fucking hypocrite. He profits off of the messes other people make just like he accuses Stark of.

The movie doesn't play him as a hypocrite. The movie plays him as Tony Soprano-lite.

Getting a city contract doesn't mean much, especially considering the size of the NYC. We don't even know if Toomes was the General Contractor for the project.
Clean-up or construction after a huge disaster is lucrative and highly competitive. You have to bid for these. We know he was the owner because he put in his own money for crew and equipment.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Even at the start he's a successful small businessman who has a city contract to handle the cleanup from a major disaster. That's not really a working class guy.

The article's point is that he never was working class. He was always a business owner; he just transitioned into his business being illegal after Stark screwed him over.
Maybe I'm misremembering but it wasn't said explicitly that it was citywide. Could have been just an area.

TAJ

I guess they needed to have him say, "Boys, if it's good enough for Tony Stark then it's good enough for us.". I mean he 99.9% did but I guess he needed to really, really say it.

Biggest misstep in Homecoming (for me) is that we never see what family life is like for Toomes before he turns to evil. I needed to see the garbage life he had (economically) so that I could emotionally connect with and logically understand a man who would
threaten a high school kid with a handgun in his car to protect his family
...presumably protecting them from going back to the way things were. Only thing is that we have no idea how the heck things were, and what he saved his family from by smuggling and selling weapons. So in the end, he just comes off like a crazy nut that I can't emotionally connect to at all.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I hear bodega owners are swimming in fucking cash.

Biggest misstep in Homecoming (for me) is that we never see what family life is like for Toomes before he turns to evil. I needed to see the garbage life he had (economically) so that I could emotionally connect with a man who would
...presumably protecting them from going back to the way things were. Only thing is that we have no idea how the heck things were, and what he saved his family from by smuggling and selling weapons. So in the end, he just comes off like a crazy nut that I can't emotionally connect to at all.

What are you talking about? We know why he did what he did, it was to keep his family from being homeless or at the very least struggling to keep afloat. They don't need to show outright him coming home with a lunch pail, taking off his hat and sitting down to a dinner of ketchup and water.

TAJ

How much experience do you have in the construction industry?

The project for that building would have included repairs and he specifically says "salvage" so we know he wasn't.

cdyhybrid

Biggest misstep in Homecoming (for me) is that we never see what family life is like for Toomes before he turns to evil. I needed to see the garbage life he had (economically) so that I could emotionally connect with and logically understand a man who would
To be fair, that's not your average high school kid.

Also, I never took him protecting Peter's identity as a gesture of good will. I saw that as Toomes wanting to take Spidey out himself.

what is petty-bourg?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

How is he not?

If you own a business you're not working class. Even if a bodega owner struggles to turn a profit, he or she is more financially independent than a clerk who depends on a paycheck. When a business falters, employees are far more likely to lose their livelihood than employers. A failing business can always be sold, allowing the owner to start a new enterprise or retire early. Employers often endure very difficult economic hardship, but still have a material advantage over working class people thanks to their ownership of property.

This makes sense

Mr. X

I think it was suppose to be irony because he ended up screwing people worse than Stark ever could've with his weapon making and arms deals to villains instead governments.

Valhelm

contribute something

If you own a business you're not working class. Even if a bodega owner struggles to turn a profit, he or she is more financially independent than a clerk who depends on a paycheck. When a business falters, employees are far more likely to lose their livelihood than employers. A failing business can always be sold, allowing the owner to start a new enterprise or retire early. Employers often endure very difficult economic hardship, but still have a material advantage over working class people thanks to their ownership of property.

what is petty-bourg?

The petty-bourgeoisie are a segment of our population comprised of people who own a little bit of capital. It's a pretty loose category, but usually includes professional salaried employees, independent producers, and small-time business owners. Despite not being wealthy, petty bourg employers have a similar exploitative potential to the greater bourgeoisie because they dominate the lives of their workers.

v1lla21

How is he not?
He is. Just the same way Toomes was at a certain point despite being business owners. I don't think that by being a business owner it excludes you from being part of the working class. My uncle owns a landscaping company and employs around 10 people yet still goes out everyday and works. Despite being able to buy equipment for work he isn't swimming in cash.

cdyhybrid

I do think that's a legitimate argument, I just don't know if that distinction really changes anything about the portrayal of the character in the end. His whole thing is that the little guy (whether he's "true working class" or just a small business owner) gets screwed by The Man (Stark/Feds).

Valhelm

contribute something
I do think that's a legitimate argument, I just don't know if that distinction really changes anything about the portrayal of the character in the end. His whole thing is that the little guy (whether he's "true working class" or just a small business owner) gets screwed by The Man (Stark/Feds).

He's a medium guy who thinks he's a little guy and in his quest to one-up the big guy, he hurts a lot of real little guys.

This is a pretty cool metaphor for how society actually functions, because middle-class dreams have been the wind in the sails of a lot of dangerous movements.

Fuchsdh

Yep, when he started his spiel in the warehouse I was like motherfucker you live in a glass house with a swimming pool, fuck off with that working class shit.

That thread about Raimi's Spidey the other day kinda hit this home for me, as if the people involved in Homecoming's production have this hilariously misguided notion of what the impoverished have to go through.

Wait, you're saying Homecoming has a misguided notion of what it means to be poor compared to Raimi's Spider-Man? Where Peter Parker has a shitty yet huge Manhattan apartment with no roommates despite delivering pizzas? What are you smoking?

He's a medium guy who thinks he's a little guy and in his quest to one-up the big guy, he hurts a lot of real little guys.

This is a pretty cool metaphor for how society actually functions, because middle-class dreams have been the wind in the sails of a lot of dangerous movements.

I'm not so sure about this. The only damage that hurts "the little guys" is all collateral damage from Spider-Man getting involved. Seriously—all the damage is because of Spider-Man's involvement, from the bodega to the ferry to Coney Island. We don't see any "little person" actually hurt from Toomes' actions. We can make an educated guess that some of his weapons were used for stuff more nefarious than just heists and robberies, but we have nothing to go on in the film itself.

Top Bottom