• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtkO

so is this gonna be a timed exclusive or is this part of the sony-disney deal from last year?

This is a Sony exclusive, but nothing tells us that the sequel might not be multiplat. But it's highly unlikely, as this seems to be tied to the deal with the MCU about spidey.

Full exclusive. Sony is publishing it. So basically a Bloodborne scenario but with an established character and IP.
just because sony is publishing it doesn't mean it is a full exclusive. if it were a bloodborne scenario, that would mean that sony also owns this specific IP, do they?
This is a Sony exclusive, but nothing tells us that the sequel might not be multiplat. But it's highly unlikely, as this seems to be tied to the deal with the MCU about spidey.
yeah, that is what i'm wondering and that would also makes sense about the Ps4 exclusivity if it is the case

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
just because sony is publishing it doesn't mean it is a full exclusive. if it were a bloodborne scenario, that would mean that sony also owns this specific IP, do they?

They don't own the IP but they are publishing it. I mean just think about how many Sony published games are on Steam and that should give you the answer you want.

They don't own the IP but they are publishing it. I mean just think about how many Sony published games are on Steam and that should give you the answer you want.
dunno what the answer to that is man :\ I was just saying this can't be a bloodborne case unless they own the IP. sounds more similar to a sunset overdrive scenario although it's not even the equal to that either.

Loudninja

yeah, that is what i'm wondering and that would also makes sense about the Ps4 exclusivity if it is the case
This pretty much says it all does it not?
When I first learned Insomniac was approached by our long-time friends and collaborators at Sony Interactive Entertainment with the opportunity to create a blockbuster Spider-Man console game experience, I practically ran into Ted’s office professing my passion for Spider-Man – along with a desire to serve as creative director.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...usive-spider-man-game-revealed-first-trailer/

Game exist because its their project.

Elandyll

Banned
Have Insomiac given any indication of when we will see this release? It had to be pretty far into development, Sunset Overdrive was a year ago now and a large chunk must be working on this game since. It really does look lovely though, Insomniac are a better fit for this game than Sucker Punch me thinks, also allows SP to work on a new IP which is very exciting.
Knowing that the game was said to not be tied to the movie, I still think it would make a heck of a lot of sense to aim for 1 of the 2 big release windows of 2017:

The first one would be around 7/7/17 for the movie release, but to me a November 2017 window alongside the video release makes even more sense to maximize marketing $ -and- Holiday sales.

link1201

I thought Horizon would be the game that got me to buy a PS but I now think this'll be the one. Looks fantastic, can't wait to see more.

ore300

Neo Member
Marvel now doing with their games what they do with their movies? Not doing it internally and allowing the properties to thrive with a good director (game studio) that matches the style of the property is smart. Approved!

TimFL

nice blog post, read the whole thing so exclusivity does seem like a lock & it's a granted passion project...but it doesn't clarify if it is a part of the deal from last year; it's not like they would confirm that publicly anyway. it's not really relevant to the mass public.

No one knows whether it is part of the Sony Pictures deal. I don't see why Sony Pictures would bargain a Spidey game though (Sony Pictures != SIE) but who knows.
It's like you said: not really relevant to the mass public. I couldn't care less whether it only happened due to the MCU deal, all that matters is that we finally get a proper Spidey game after all.
I take a PS4 exclusive Spidey game that rocks over 20 Activision multiplat cash-ins any day.

One thing worth considering is the rumor that this has been in development for around 2 years (apparently a few LinkedIn hints here and there) which puts it at roughly june 2014, that is technically before the MCU deal came to be (we don't know how long that took though so there's that).

Can't believe this topic turned into a "fuck Sony is killing gaming with exclusive spidey ps4"... I'm the exact opposite: thank you, SIE, for approaching Marvel and initiating this project. If it weren't for them Marvel/Disney would probably still be looking for a viable fit + multiplat with most likely less budget and less dev time.
Could be biased too due to owning a PS4 since day 1.

DrBo42

Considering that interview mentioned everything about his costume is there for a reason I'm now extremely curious why that white spider is there.

Maybe the symbiote saga happened in this universe too and he ended up killing someone. Now he keeps the white spider as a reminder.

Theories?

Considering that interview mentioned everything about his costume is there for a reason I'm now extremely curious why that white spider is there.

Maybe the symbiote saga happened in this universe too and he ended up killing someone. Now he keeps the white spider as a reminder.

Theories?

I remember in Spider-Man Unlimited (it was a cartoon) Spider-Man had a watch and his suit was made by nanomites which were inside the watch. Maybe the spider logo on his suit hides another suit or suits. Also, Marvel's director who works with Insomniac for the game said in an interview that they are inspired from everything Spider-Man related, so that might be the case, but I don't think so.

Kuzu

Neo Member
Yo I have not been so hype for a Spider Man game since the first tie in movie game for the Playstation 2. It looks so fucking amazing, I might actually pick it up day 1.

No one knows whether it is part of the Sony Pictures deal. I don't see why Sony Pictures would bargain a Spidey game though (Sony Pictures != SIE) but who knows.
It's like you said: not really relevant to the mass public. I couldn't care less whether it only happened due to the MCU deal, all that matters is that we finally get a proper Spidey game after all.
I take a PS4 exclusive Spidey game that rocks over 20 Activision multiplat cash-ins any day.

One thing worth considering is the rumor that this has been in development for around 2 years (apparently a few LinkedIn hints here and there) which puts it at roughly june 2014, that is technically before the MCU deal came to be (we don't know how long that took though so there's that).

Can't believe this topic turned into a "fuck Sony is killing gaming with exclusive spidey ps4"... I'm the exact opposite: thank you, SIE, for approaching Marvel and initiating this project. If it weren't for them Marvel/Disney would probably still be looking for a viable fit + multiplat with most likely less budget and less dev time.
Could be biased too due to owning a PS4 since day 1.
I only saw like 1 post in this thread complaining about the exclusivity, but as for the rest of your post: even if it is not relevant, it would be fun fact to know if this was part of a supplement on the deal. what sony wants more than ever for sony pictures is for spiderman to succeed. an exclusive spiderman game for ps4 would help hype that for them too - given the success of Ps4.

Arun1910

The marvel guy saying there's a reason for the spider being white makes me think it glows in the dark lol.

It reminds me of Venom. Maybe hes already been through the symbiotic stage in this universe and he keeps it as a reminder of his keeping his rage in check?

Only other thing I can think of is some negative zone scenario.

I'm more excited about this game than most other games. Trailer looked great. First, Insomniac has upped their game'so visually. Ratchet and clank was stunning. Yes, different types of games, but it had a beautiful comic bookey art style.

It sounds like Insomniac got good feedback from marvel and sony. I have hope that this game will be fun. I, like many others, have been itching for a great marvel game. I hope this one scratches that itch.

With regards to release, I think it'll be a 2017 release. Insomniac has been working on it for a while, and even though not related to the movie, I'm sure Sony and marvel/Disney want to capitalize on the movie. Similar to battlefront and star wars the force awakens. You would want one to feed or capture the momentum of the other.

Any chance the skyscraper on the left is the Oscorp tower? In Amazing Spider-Man 2 it was presented as the tallest bulding in the area.

xCKWjLi.jpg

HStallion

Any chance the skyscraper on the left is the Oscorp tower? In Amazing Spider-Man 2 it was presented as the tallest bulding in the area.

xCKWjLi.jpg

I was wondering this too but I suspect it could be a couple powerful people or groups who have had a giant tower in NYC. I'd say its potentially the FF building but we know how Marvel cares about that IP. I'd say Oscorp or perhaps something relating to Stark? Hell maybe even the Kingpin or one of the villains.

Skilletor

I think it's already known, but Spider-man uses mechanical web shooters.

Check his hand.

vMqx2ZP.jpg

This being overseen by Marvel pretty much guaranteed that.

Personally don't understand why so many people think organic web shooters will ever come back when the movie that popularized it was over a decade ago and it really hasn't been seen since.

Sami+

Yay, another franchise game. If it's not Batman, it's Spiderman. I grew up loving both of these characters but gosh, I'm pretty sick of seeing them.

I know neither of these two is going away anytime soon but considering how large the Marvel stable is, it sure would be nice if they focused on something else. At least pick a different Spider-man! Isn't there an alternate universe version where he's black? How about Spiderman 2099? Heck, how about Spider-Girl?

:(

Man the last good Spider-Man game came out like ten years ago, I'm just happy to finally get one that looks legit again.

The Neversoft games, Spider-Man 2, and Ultimate Spider-Man hnnnng <33 it's been way too long

Neoxon

Personally don't understand why so many people think organic web shooters will ever come back when the movie that popularized it was over a decade ago and it really hasn't been seen since.
I'm Team Mechanical, but I was worried that the popularity of the Sam Raimi films would push Insomniac towards organic webbing so they won't have to worry about mentioning the web shooters. Said web shooters are a testament to Peter's intellect, & they can open the door to other types of web fluid (Ex: cold web fluid where Peter can freeze certain enemies).

HStallion

Pretty dick move for a supervillain to take over Freedom Tower

Just to make Dr. Doom cry again.

Organic web shooters on his wrists didn't make sense either and the Venture Bros. actually has a Spiderman character in NYC called the Brown Widow that makes fun of just this fact. He shoots webs from just above his ass which makes more sense considering a spiders biology and is also fairly funny to see. He's also a big musical theatre guy.

17crf29mt56h7png.png

est1992

xCKWjLi.jpg

I get the feeling that the city isn't complete yet. For some reason the buildings don't seem tall enough, or like something in the city is missing.

_Legacy_

Must say, as a XB1 owner. This and the Kojima game have certainly got my interest. I like Spiderman and wonder if we'll see any Marvel cameos from the MCU. Looking forward to see how this develops.

Spinluck

I think the vocabulary is becoming pretty defined in third-person this games these days. Especially where you have a overpowered character like Spiderman. I think Insomniac can refer to Arkham and TLOU/UC4.
Also, I'm sure there will be plenty of inventive shooter mechanics using web in all it's potential shapes and forms. That's where Insomniacs legendary weapon-mechanics will come in.

Spider-Man is truly overpowered when it comes to taking in mechanics and the capability of the character. But like you said, there are ridiculous weapons and such things in Insomniac games and they find a way to make it fun and functional above all else.

With Spidey you have the insane traversal, precognitive abilities, strength, speed, and his webbing. I think they have all the tools to handle this, while creating some engaging combat and traversal.

I wonder if they go tps style like Infamous where we have a reticle and all, or if it will follow previous Spidey games. I think the most difficult challenge is nailing the transition between combat and seamless traversal. Other Spidey games have yet to get this right, but even SM2 imo. I feel if the environment is context sensitive then it can really work. I just don't want the sloppy feel when transitioning between the two. I'm also wondering how traversal will work within combat.

Speaking of UC4, I love the animation/rope swinging in that. I hope Spidey feels (and animates especially) with as much weight.

But I trust Insomniac to nail it.

Spinluck

Just watched the interview with the game director and that marvel guy.

I liked the part where they were sharing how and when they became Spider-Man fans. I'm just like them. We all connected with the character when we were kids. I hope they remember that.

I was so displeased when me and my 7 yr old nephew were watching Civil War, and Spidey said holy**** during one scene! That wasn't the Spider-Man I loved as a kid, and with my nephew sitting next to me, it felt like Spidey had left me and this is the new character for the new kidz. I accepted it and was ready to move on, but now with this game, I want to hope and dream again. I've wanted a great Spider-Man game for such a long time.

Guess this game will cement how I feel about Spider-Man in this modern age after it comes out. It appears I still love the web-head and want to go on more Spidey adventures. Looking forward to the game, Insomniac!

I can only see it from this angle: you had a kid there and you didn't like the cussing or whatever. But I mean, the film is PG-13 for such reasons.

Spidey was a kid nerding out that whole fight. I thought it was a classic Spider-Man response.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I get the feeling that the city isn't complete yet. For some reason the buildings don't seem tall enough, or like something in the city is missing.

yeah i kinda got that feeling too

like i'm not expecting a 1:1 scale or anything but the buildings didn't seem all that big

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Adding that it is a Sony Interactive Entertainment title (developed with SIE San Mateo Studio) would have avoided so much of this platform redundancy.

MMaRsu

Banned
This game is a huge surprise for me. Yeah I grew up watching the 90's cartoon and never read any of the comics, but I've always really liked Peter Parker/Spiderman, a lot more than Batman for instance.

If those clips in the trailer are gameplay which I think it is ( seeing as Infamous is already a gorgeous looking game ), then this game should be really really good.

The fact that this is exclusive makes a lot of sense. I think there is basically 0% chance this isnt tied to the Spidey Marvel deal in the MCU. And I'm very glad this deal came to be.

Marc

Just came in to say, screw organic web-shooters. Mechanical is king.

Why not both? Organics would help explain his strength, speed, reactions, toughness, agility and weight ratios.

Mechanics to control it, focus it and provide other webbing types. Or even add a chemical to ensure it degrades quicker.

To think we might be able to do something better than this in-game :')

o6c6wJI.gif

tumblr_n1irhzPfjW1r3s2suo1_400.gif

When compared in gif form, the game actually looks better... well apart from the suit. ASM2 has a good suit bar the lack of Ditko eyes.

That's pretty insane really. Kudos Insomniac Games, kudos.

4.2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom