• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spidey, Frank West, Haggar, Nemesis announced for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite at SDCC

This sounds like a rumour fabricated for the explicit purpose of damaging a game, I don't know how else this sort of thing would even come out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=217850396&postcount=1

- Capcom has added 500 new development staff since 2012, and intends to add 500 more by 2020. These are largely college grads added annually, so there's a bit of a warm up time as they learn the ropes, but we should see a major spike in their output soon.

shaowebb

This sounds like a rumour fabricated for the explicit purpose of damaging a game, I don't know how else this sort of thing would even come out.

Like I said...it happens all the time. Why should this even warrant attention? Its common. It is what it is. Cheap but promising help with untapped talent. They'll have to likely do more revisions as they feel out things along the way than someone with veteran experience with the assets and tools used on that game at that studio, but thats how it always is with new talent fresh out of college with little to no field work.

No need to really worry or react here. Just means what we all know...things we see are works in progress. I just wish they'd catch the stuff that should be cut from editing instead of highlighting half finished model stuff under a damned magnifying lense when theres so much attention on this product. Show only the tight shit man...best foot forward. Its showing all the completely offputting stages in trailers thats baffling me right now. Dont show clips that emphasize the things you haven't finished polishing yet. Just show the best you got.

Perineum

Umbrella Corps was composed of primarily newbies.

I will never understand the hate for this game. $30 bucks, worked right out the gate, fun gameplay, looked good visually, fantastic soundtrack, etc. The SP was just there so I get the complaints for that, but the MP was solid fun.

1/10 reviews just mind boggled me.

I feel like if it hadn't had shit to do with RE, and was just its own game, then it would've had more success and acceptance.

Dahbomb

so looking at max's haggar footage it looks like lariat no longer does a hard knockdown which is really lame. looks like it doesn't even do soft knockdowns which is really stupid. his garbage can projectile seems like it has 0 durability as well. how the fuck is he going to approach zoning heavy characters? i bet lariat is longer invincible and rapid fire fist no longer has start up invincibility. doubt stomach press got anything added to it either. haggar is one of the only things saving this game for me and the more i see the more i dislike.
This is such a knee jerk, tunnel vision approach to analyzing a returning character. The bias is too obvious.

First of all Haggar was fine with a soft knockdown on Lariat. In this version he has insane float//hit stun after Lariat, so much so that they get hit up with Lariat, float back down to Lariat for another hit. You have more than enough time to tag and get a combo from Lariat in this game.

The Garbage can projectile is still a projectile. It's not meant to win projectile wars, it's meant to throw a hit box so that the person who is zoning has to block it or react to it. That's enough time for Haggar to get in with. You can use it in the air and it has multiple angles/spaces. Plus the screen is smaller than Marvel 3 so Haggar naturally should have an easier time getting in (that and the vertical screen is also smaller so people can't air dash above his super jump pipe range). In addition, the garbage can projectile absorbs physical hits as well meaning it can help against rushdown as well because it acts like a parry.

Stomach Press is now air ok by the way, that's a major buff to it.

How is Haggar going to get in on zoning characters? I don't know if you have been following this game but zoning in this game isn't actually very good so far. Chip is very low (further reduced by advance guarding), meter gain is low and perfect advancing guard reflects projectiles back at the opponent. Not only that but you also have the Stone system. You can pull enemies in with Space stone (or put them in the Cube), you can use Reality stone homing projectile to try to get in with or you can use the Time stone to have a teleport dash with Haggar. That's far and beyond the options available to Haggar. Not to mention that you can still throw Arrows with Hawkeye then tag into Haggar for the usual projectile assist tactic that Haggar used to get in with in Marvel 3. You also have the new short hump super jump that allows players to have better approaches which should help Haggar a lot.

We don't know if the Rapid Punch super is invincible but Lariat definitely seems to have invincibility on it. More importantly the LVL3 is instant meaning if they were on the ground when you activate it then they get hit.

Haggar has other new options in the game. I suggest doing some additional research before coming to conclusions like that.

After watching some new gameplay featuring Haggar, my interest in this game increased by a lot.

Haggar seems like a totally new character. L Violent axe as a juggle starter, the oil drum he was supposed to get in UMVC3(which acts as both a parry and a projectile?!), new normals and body press super is air OK? Damn, Haggar seems beastly now.

All I need from here is for Haggar to be able to combo off of Piledriver via OTG, which nobody tried to do. If not, maybe he can tag in and his partner has enough time to OTG.

I think I'm down with this now~

The pre-fight dialogue between your teammates as an alternative to p1/p2 interactions makes me really happy

And I just watched Haggar pile drive Thanos. That is why I love this series

Shin

Banned
Strider and Spiderman aww yeahh, pre-ordered.
Anyone know how many season passes there will be in the end, total amount of characters?

There's still P1/P2 interactions, IIRC Haggar makes a joke about another character having to register as an alien with Metro City.

It's so refreshing. I hate generic battle intros.

Strider and Spiderman aww yeahh, pre-ordered.
Anyone know how many season passes there will be in the end, total amount of characters?

At minimum I would imagine 2. This game would have to be an atom bomb for them to not go through with plans for 2018. 12 characters by the end of next year puts us anywhere from 42 to 46 which would be pretty damn deep

I hope they support this game for years

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

This isn't a rumor, this actually happened.

Mind, I should note that this is how most Japanese companies recruit new staff, because there are so few people that move jobs in Japan.

It's just that the short term impact of this level of expansion is that you're going to have a zillion junior staff that need projects to work on, and the most likely projects for them to work on are the things you used to outsource most of your development on (like how Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was heavily worked on by Eighting).

It is worth noting that they actually did decide to start fully outsourcing games again, but only in the mobile sector, which means they might put even more of the new staff in the console game sector if they're not longer intending to make mobile a 1000+ person division.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Apparently it's not a rumor anyway.

It happens all the time. Not certain why it'd even warrant attention. Sadly there are some studios that just bring in wave after wave of unpaid interns each year. Its a rotating door of faces that are just calculated in as low production but free help. The market is super hard to break into without shipped title experience considering how many folks there are to compete with these days. It became a race to the bottom in what new guys would accept for wages and long has since devolved into an "I'll do it for free for the experience and resume padding".

If you're new you're not gonna have a ton of experience to draw upon to make things fresh out the gate from your work compete with high end polished techniques that veterans are pumping out in groups. I dont have a shitload of experience. I've studied and can use tools and did the whole college stuff but if I were to put together a CV of stuff it wouldn't have a ton of things in it as I focused on my career outside of the industry within 6 months after graduating. Knowing that I know there are things I do now that would get better if I did more art. Grabbing guys at that stage means this is what you'll get and it'll take them awhile to go back and polish their initial attempts because they're not used to how to avoid certain mistakes yet because they've never had the time to make them yet.

CG is a learning experience that never stops. If Capcom is using a bunch of new hires fresh from college expect a LOT of things to have to go back and be polished on the models and lighting later on. New animators dont perfect run things. They'll make mistakes and have to go back and polish and repolish and repolish again and again. We all do. We improve, but polished pieces take us a lot more time because we're all sorta unfamiliar with our tools and how to plan ahead for different designs on how to build them in 3d and we're all still feeling out how to produce work in the most speedy and polished manner without hitting long jarring roadblocks that require a lot of revisions to correct.

If this is the sorta team Capcom is using I'll just ignore anything prior to launch from here on out. Anything they make will be a permanent work in progress snapshot of stuff that will be polished later on...it'll just be far more obvious than normal due to the lack of experience.

Good post.

Jawmuncher

I will never understand the hate for this game. $30 bucks, worked right out the gate, fun gameplay, looked good visually, fantastic soundtrack, etc. The SP was just there so I get the complaints for that, but the MP was solid fun.

1/10 reviews just mind boggled me.

I feel like if it hadn't had shit to do with RE, and was just its own game, then it would've had more success and acceptance.

I didn't dislike it all that much either. It was a bit rough but as you said definitely not 1/10 unplayable tier or anything like that.

Character select screen is kind of amazing right now. A grand total of 1 new Capcom character from MVC3, and 4 for the Marvel side (3 if you count Thanos as returning). Capcom should get an eco-friendly company award, the amount of recycling would make MvC2 blush.

Top Bottom