• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spielberg's least favourite Indy movie is...

Joking or not, shit like this is why I usually check out out these types of threads.

So you 100% recognize it's a joke but you still get pissed off by it?

C'mon Ryu.

(besides which, everyone knows the real philistines crawling this thread like oversized CGI ants are the ones who dare to believe Crusade actually tops Raiders in any way, shape, or form)

Eh, I just feel like a lot of times, these types of discussions devolve into people trying to push their opinion across as, heh, gospel, leaving no room for actual back and forth.

this coming from the guy who said he saw Avatar in theaters 7 times? gross.

I hope to hell you aren't talking about me cause if you are, show me those receipts, mofo.

Show your gotdamn work.

Bobby stop trying to force your cult of personality onto our nice Ind—

—MOLA RAM!
SUDA RAM!
MOLA RAM SUDA RAM!
(CLANG CLANG)

MOLA RAM!
SUDA RAM!
MOLA RAM SUDA RAM

tod-mola2.jpg

I grew up watching Serial films with my grand father and think, in that mold and with the original intent behind the Indy films, Crystal Skull and Raiders of the Lost Ark work the best as serial films. People take these movies way too seriously and I can't help but notice that many who do gravitate toward the darker and more serious Temple of Doom than the lighter and goofier movies in the series.

I'll never get the hate for Crystal Skull nor the love for Temple of Doom. Luckily there's a film for everybody.

I grew up watching Serial films with my grand father and think, in that mold and with the original intent behind the Indy films, Crystal Skull and Raiders of the Lost Ark work the best as serial films. People take these movies way too seriously and I can't help but notice that many who do gravitate toward the darker and more serious Temple of Doom than the lighter and goofier movies in the series.

I'll never get the hate for Crystal Skull nor the love for Temple of Doom. Luckily there's a film for everybody.

I consider Temple of Doom many things but I would never call it serious. It's a mean-spirited and goofy cartoon.

I consider Temple of Doom many things but I would never call it serious. It's a mean-spirited and goofy cartoon.

I'm glad you used the word "cartoon" because, generally speaking about these films, these are absolutely what they are. People get hung up on the nuke fridge thing, for example, but complete ignore rafts surviving waterfalls.

I hope to hell you aren't talking about me cause if you are, show me those receipts, mofo.

Show your gotdamn work.

LMAO no, Sculli was the one that said he went to see Avatar in theaters 7 times or something, which is gross.

So if you went to see Avatar in theaters 7 times, you're gross as well.

Did you?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
He's right you know...

...in the context that Crystal Skull doesn't exist

1 and 2 were more poignant, despite 3 having cool, memorable scenes

I like the movie but I get why Spielberg doesn't. If i remember correctly he was miserable during filming. Also going through a divorce at the time. Then met future wife Kate capshaw on set who he later divorced. So miserable memories while filming and a constant reminder of 2 failed marriages. I'd hate the movie too.

shaneskim

I like the movie but I get why Spielberg doesn't. If i remember correctly he was miserable during filming. Also going through a divorce at the time. Then met future wife Kate capshaw on set who he later divorced. So miserable memories while filming and a constant reminder of 2 failed marriages. I'd hate the movie too.

Aren't they still married?

Crystal Skull is easily the worst one. EASILY.

He's right you know...

...in the context that Crystal Skull doesn't exist

1 and 2 were more poignant, despite 3 having cool, memorable scenes

Hes right in the context that what you said isnt reality? Hes wrong plain and simple. And if thats his tastes now, then do me a favor and stay away from the next one.

Glix

Alright some of gaf and the rest of the internet...

Do you see why everyone know this thread is about Spielbergs favorite Indiana Jones movie and not his favorite independent movie?

Indy

Indie

Please please please stop fucking this up, it drives me nuts.

PS the Indy list is super easy

1->2->3->4

Elandyll

Banned
Between 2 and 3 is debatable I guess, though I think TOD is the better movie by a country mile (in spite of Capshaw).

But seeing people say LC = Raiders make my head hurt... Like big time.

Ah well, opinions.

Bulzeeb

well if he was ignoring Crystal Skull I would have agreed with him, but since the article mentions that sorry excuse of a movie I am going to say he is wrong

Whatever Spielberg, Temple of Doom is still my favorite simply because it's the only one we had taped on VHS back in the day so I watched it approximately 38 times plus.

How he could be delusional enough to think Crystal Skull is better is pretty impressive. Hopefully Coppola is next and reveals he prefers Godfather 3 over 2.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Found it!

“Oh, I’m not renouncing it,” Lucas said. Which is fair enough. Lucas mostly sounds sad when he talks about Temple of Doom. It’s Spielberg who recoils from its heart extraction, its human sacrifice, its monkey-brain buffet. He once told a journalist that Temple of Doom was “too dark, too subterranean, and much too horrific.”

“People say, ‘Why’s it so dark?'” Lucas said. Then he began to explain.

“I was going through a divorce,” Lucas said, “and I was in a really bad mood. So I really wanted to do dark. And Steve then broke up with his girlfriend, and so he was sort of into it, too. That’s where we were at that point in time.”

That’s the reason Temple of Doom, which comes out as a part of the Blu-ray boxed set September 18, is difficult for its creators — and lots of Indy fans — to love. It’s a breakup movie. It’s a record of gloomy images that were scrolling through its creators’ heads. “Sometimes,” Lucas told me, “you go to the dark side.” For two bummed-out guys, Temple of Doom was a catalog of what it’s like to get your heart ripped out.

edit: interesting piece of trivia I gleaned re-reading that article:

Spielberg was horrified. “The reviews were awful,” he lamented on a DVD documentary. Part of the problem was that the MPAA still funneled most movies into either a PG or R rating. Temple of Doom had earned a PG. Paramount put a warning for parents in newspapers, but it didn’t help much.

On July 1, 1984, just five weeks after Temple of Doom was released, the MPAA christened a new rating: PG-13. On August 10, Red Dawn became the first movie released with a PG-13 rating. “It was Indy that was the catalyst,” says Lucasfilm’s Sid Ganis, “the film that pushed the MPAA to create the PG-13 category.”

Regiruler

The clickbait style title made me know it wasn't Skull.

Glad it's not Last Crusade though.

C'mon Ryu.

(besides which, everyone knows the real philistines crawling this thread like oversized CGI ants are the ones who dare to believe Crusade actually tops Raiders in any way, shape, or form)

Raiders is just too damn long.

Film is trash and incredibly racist. Spielberg knows his stuff.

The Shanghai and mine cart set pieces are good though. Which is understandable since they were originally meant to be for Raiders.

Always found it weird that after all the talk beforehand about how they would use practical effects like in the good old days and shoot on film (even after Lucas insisting on video) – Indy 4 relied so heavily on CGI and had such a glossy fake look.

But I think the concept for it in theory was spot on – putting it in the 50s and trading Nazis for Communists. Introducing aliens into the universe I'm not as sure about. I get the idea – the 50s having the alien obessiion and Roswell etc. But maybe they should have taken more cues from the "The 50 feet Spiders from Outer Space" B-movies instead of just changing the McGuffin from a christian artefact to an alien head.

But Harrison Ford was great in it. Shia worked well in his role.

But as soon as the adventure starts and they leave the university for the junge it turns into a disappointing CGI fest.

(And, I've haven't seen it since the theatre. But I remember feeling like it stopped when I expected a final act to kick in. It felt like it lacked a proper climax.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Crystal Skull is easily the worst one. EASILY.

Hes right in the context that what you said isnt reality? Hes wrong plain and simple. And if thats his tastes now, then do me a favor and stay away from the next one.

there's a reason my sentence is structured like that, I already know that he is counting skull and joked that his thoughts made sense if you consider skull non-existent

g11

lol, how does his wife feel about that?

Also anyone that says Raiders is the worst, are wrong. You're the worst. You voted for Hubert Humphrey and you killed Jesus!

Randam

From the guy who wanted the guns edited out of E.T.... makes sense.

He's wrong.

Crystal Skull was a cool concept to go with for an Indy film. Execution sucks.
Aliens weren't a "cool concept" at all.
I assume that in answering this question, he's chosen to ignore the existence of Crystal Skull (just like the rest of us).
That's what I was thinking too.
Has to be.

Indy going back to Berlin for Hitler's autograph was awesome.

For some reason, whenever I see that scene I think about the beginning street level in Bloodbourne.

Some weird connection between the two.

i'm just here to say The Last Crusade is a limp-dick retread with half the ingenuity of what came before. it's like a horror movie sequel, watching all the life drain out of a film's eyes in pursuit of Making Another One. Temple of Doom is probably bad but there's some kind of excitement there still instead of the bland adequacy of "this time, he's with his dad!" Last Crusade is a toothless over-correction and the idea that it's better than Raiders is just...no, guys, come on.

also y'all should read that thing Bobby linked and then the rest of the website.

Lombax

Banned
cool. Spielberg is an idiot then. Throw crystal alien skulls and chase me down with a walkie talkie toting FBI agents if wrong.

Kolibri

Mola Ram is the most memorable bad guy in the entire saga. He's great.

In fact, I couldn't even name the antagonists form the other three films :/

Top Bottom