• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2.00's "unstable connection" problem -- still not fixed in 2.1.0

Datschge

Question to those having issues: Do you use wireless or have you also tried the USB LAN adapter?

I can imagine random packet drops exacerbating the relative lack of upload bandwidth, and wireless drops packets more or less regularly (depending on how overcrowded the used channel is) requiring them to be sent again. So using a USB LAN adapter may help in some close cases.

Still doesn't explain why almost everywhere in this thread only has issues with Splatoon and not with any other online games
What other online games? What if they haven't played other online games and Splatoon is their first online shooter?

For example, I have played ND games and I know first hand that ND tried to combat lag by punishing laggers (white plug icon/character freeze) and increasing the tickrate (15 -> 30Hz).

The second one made the online gameplay very smooth, as long as you had the necessary upload requirements. Trust me, people with low upload speeds complained there as well and they had the exact same arguments ("CoD/BF work fine, so why I can't play Uncharted/TLOU MP?"). How many people here have played ND games?

The logic is pretty simple: if a developer raises the barrier of entry (upload speed) from 300 Kbps to let's say 600 Kbps to make the online gameplay smoother, then of course people with less than 600 Kbps are going to be left out. It's harsh, but it is what it is.

Personally, I'm a huge proponent of printing the online requirements (download/upload/ping) in the game box, but apparently most companies think that console gamers are too dumb to understand basic tech stuff. I had even made a GAF thread about why most console games don't show ping milliseconds (Splatoon included) and most people didn't care about it.

or why Nintendo have been vague about if it's an actual error or a result of them kicking people with slow connections
Nintendo has always been vague when it comes to networking issues (i.e. their "advice" to forward 1-65535 ports).

Ignorant SOB

I live in central London (King's Cross) and have 8Mb UP and 0.5Mb DOWN, "statistically average" (as the broadband company put it)

That's not enough.
Do you live in central London and there's no option to upgrade your speed (VDSL/Cable etc)? I find it hard to believe that.

Ignorant SOB

I live in central London (King's Cross) and have 8Mb UP and 0.5Mb DOWN, "statistically average" (as the broadband company put it)

That's not enough.

8mbps Upload?

Pretty good.

0.5mbps download?

I don't know about London, but my friend in Coventry and my experience in Edinburgh tell me that is some Sloth speed you have.

I think it's the other way around: 8 Mbps down & 0.5 Mbps up. A typical ADSL connection.
That make a lot more sense.

I just got this from Nintendo

Dear Matt,

Thank you for emailing Nintendo.

We're sorry to hear you have experienced an issue with connecting to Splatoon online.

We're aware of the issue and this is currently under investigation with our Head Office.

To help with our investigation please confirm the following:

Nintendo Network ID (NNID) username (not Mii name)
Serial number of your console
Any error code(s)/messages you may be receiving aside from the connection error

We anticipate your response, if you have any further questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Jasmine Malone

About time, my experience with splatoon was great to start with but the game is now unplayable for me.
I've tried wireless and connected, it's the only game i've ever owned that has this problem.
Zelda delay, starfox delay, no splatoon and no attempt to fix this by nintendo for months.

Ugh NNID names and serial numbers. I told them weeks ago it was the connection speed. So much for "pass on your feedback regarding this to the relevant department" (passing on is one thing, getting that department to read it, carry out Chinese whispers of sending it up the chain of command and sending further instructions to customers services to gather more evidence is another).

The concept "better game for those left"? Not necessarily. We still have to endure unfair 4v3 3v3 2v4 etc matches for players who try. This is especially prevalent during splatfests.

Why the simple concept of a connection test can't be introduced so that people know what they are getting into is another objection along with lack of technical info end of. The ideal thing would be lower upload speeds are put into a low stress mode (so they only have to upload their data to the fastest peer rather than choke what little bandwidth they have trying to end data to all 7) but that could be hard to program (probably considered negligible) and still not be a total solution (what if all players in a room have a poor connection).

I think it's the other way around: 8 Mbps down & 0.5 Mbps up. A typical ADSL connection.
Yes, sorry.

Do you live in central London and there's no option to upgrade your speed (VDSL/Cable etc)? I find it hard to believe that.
Well believe it, because that's the position I'm in.

Fibre and Cable comes as close as the other end of my road, but they have no plans to make it to my end or my building. Perhaps because I live next to a canal, or perhaps because I live in a housing association building. I'm hoping to move soon.

gossi

For info there's large parts of the UK who can only get ADSL2+. For example, where I live (very heart of city center) there's no cable, and ADSL2+ is all that's available - and I'm in the same building as the BT Exchange.

About time, my experience with splatoon was great to start with but the game is now unplayable for me.
I've tried wireless and connected, it's the only game i've ever owned that has this problem.
Zelda delay, starfox delay, no splatoon and no attempt to fix this by nintendo for months.

The annoying thing is, the response from NUK support staff that Gingerbeardman received is pretty much a match for what people were getting back seven-eight weeks ago when update 2.00 changed the rules. I really can't see NUK passing on the message all the way up to the dev team in Japan.

Not holding my breath for it being fixed, like oni-link said I'll be wary to pick up certain online games now until I get faster upload speeds.

I'm happy to have got 100 hours of Splatoon in, though, but the nature of the game being run as a constantly updated service really makes me feel like I'm missing out, especially as the map arrangements and other things in Splatoon v2 aren't going to be around forever.

The concept "better game for those left"? Not necessarily. We still have to endure unfair 4v3 3v3 2v4 etc matches for players who try. This is especially prevalent during splatfests.

I was thinking this too, is it really better if it ends up leaving some teams with less players for entire matches? People don't know it's because of their slow upload speeds and keep trying to play the game.

Nintendo should implement a late join mechanism.

People can and will quit for many reasons.

oni-link

The annoying thing is, the response from NUK support staff that Gingerbeardman received is pretty much a match for what people were getting back seven-eight weeks ago when update 2.00 changed the rules. I really can't see NUK passing on the message all the way up to the dev team in Japan.

Not holding my breath for it being fixed, like oni-link said I'll be wary to pick up certain online games now until I get faster upload speeds.

I'm happy to have got 100 hours of Splatoon in, though, but the nature of the game being run as a constantly updated service really makes me feel like I'm missing out, especially as the map arrangements and other things in Splatoon v2 aren't going to be around forever.

I was thinking this too, is it really better if it ends up leaving some teams with less players for entire matches? People don't know it's because of their slow upload speeds and keep trying to play the game.

In ranked I can probably finish the match 3 out of 5 times without a disconnect, but I've stopped playing because that ruins my rank as I'm always being pegged back 20 points thanks to the disconnects

The last spatfest I tried again and on the new map I actually managed to finish a turf war match for the first time since 2.00, but the next 3 matches failed within 30 seconds so I gave up again

It's a shame because the new stuff they have added, and the new maps, look like fun, but I've moved onto other games now, though if they do fix this soon I'd come back

Is this something that happens often?

So I moved house, to London N4, and I now have better broadband.

ADSL: 17Mb down, 0.9Mb upload, 6ms ping

(still no cable or fibre)

I'll see if that's enough next time I load up Splatoon.

Kind of feeling burnt by this whole issue though

Kito

4723962964.png

(We're in BST btw, speedtest.net)

Make sure no one else is using your wifi. Even with 2.95Mb/s, I'll still get disconnection issues every fifth turf war or so when Netflix is being streamed by someone else.

So Splatoon 2.20 is a thing. Wonder if they'll try and screen people based on upload speed a bit better with it. Fingers crossed!

Otherwise here's the release notes. I'm on my phone so I can't reply to the previous posts, but I'm happy this thread has gotten posts recently.

---

On October 20, 2015, new update data for the Splatoon game will become available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Wii U console is connected to the Internet.

Weapons Adjustments:

Adjustments will be made to Main Weapons, Sub Weapons, and Special Weapons.

Ranked Battle Adjustments

Adjustments will be made to the rules in Rainmaker and Tower Control modes. View details

Ranking Adjustments

Rank S users will be matched up with other rank S users more frequently, and rank S+ users will be matched up with other rank S+ users more frequently
To accommodate this change, the calculation method for ranks S and S+ users will be adjusted.

Stage Adjustments

Walleye Warehouse: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in Rainmaker Mode
Saltspray Rig: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from placing Splash Walls in certain places
Arowana Mall: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes
Kelp Dome: Small adjustments will be made for Rainmaker mode
Flounder Heights: In addition to changing the stage layout in Rainmaker, other adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes and to prevent the attachment of Suction Bombs in certain places
Hammerhead bridge: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes

Effects Adjustments

The visual effects of position-tracking for teammates will be less visible.
The launching sound effect of the Inkzooka will be more audible

Battle Adjustments

Fixed the issue in which the ink refills slightly when beginning to charge an empty Splatling weapon
Fixed the issue in which the Point Sensors and Disruptors do not function when there is significant lag in the connectivity
Fixed the issue in which players are able to move the Tower even when they are not on the Tower by swimming in the area bordering the top and sides of the Tower
Fixed the issue in which the Rainmaker shield does not take damage when the shield is extremely close to a wall
Fixed the issue in which visual effects do not display when some of the ink hit the Rainmaker Barrier and Splash Walls
Fixed the issue in which some ink splats occasionally go through thin walls
Fixed the issue in which rollers occasionally inflict damage through thin walls
Fixed the issue in which Kraken occasionally inflicts damage against opponents hiding on the other side of a thin wall
Fixed the issue in which Shooter type main weapons shoot at a faster rate than usual when specific special weapons are activated

Bug Fixes in Battle Dojo:

Fixed the issue in which Splash Walls do not block opponents’ bombs and blasters

Bug fixes:

Fixed the issue in which the damage stats for Splattershot Jr., Custom Splattershot Jr., N-ZAP 85, and N-ZAP89 are displayed as higher than they actually are. This only changes the information displayed in the stats. The actual stats will remain the same.

Adjustments will also be made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience

Batmonk

This started for me after I bought a new router. I tried everything suggested with the WAN settings(NAT open, DMZ, etc.) then I noticed my Upstream (under QoS settings) was set to 512 Kbps. I bumped that to 5 Mbps (my connection max), started a new round and everything was back to normal.

Persona7

Banned
This started for me after I bought a new router. I tried everything suggested with the WAN settings(NAT open, DMZ, etc.) then I noticed my Upstream (under QoS settings) was set to 512 Kbps. I bumped that to 5 Mbps (my connection max), started a new round and everything was back to normal.

Yeah, QOS settings can mess with your upload. I had a router that enabled QOS at default and limited every device to 128kbps until you adjusted the setting or disabled QOS entirely.

So is this confirmed to not actually be a "problem" so much as the game just having higher upload speed requirements? Makes sense why people with fast internet never encountered it an why games are generally smoother now

So is this confirmed to not actually be a "problem" so much as the game just having higher upload speed requirements? Makes sense why people with fast internet never encountered it an why games are generally smoother now
It's a problem when you buy a game that works and they make a change and the game doesn't work any more yet they still have your money.

gossi

The upload requirements are more than a vast majority of people in the UK have - xDSL has limits - so yeah. It's an issue. It worked at launch. They broke something in the netcode.

alex2004

I've got this problem with the European Splatfest right now. I managed to finish one match out of 8 attempts - all the others were terminated due to an "unstable connection" (this rarely happens during non-Splatfest times). The Splatfest is unplayable.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People need to stop trying to put the problem on the players' side of the table when things worked fine until a specific patch.

Secondly, if you don't have enough upstream at release you just return the game after finding out. What do you do months in when they change the upstream requirements?

This is all on Nintendo any way I look at it.

Anony

yeah, i've reconciled with the unstable connection, although i cannot test it myself since my upload speed is shit, you need at least 100 kilobytes per sec to play
i'm holding off at 50-60kb/s and get a lot d/cs

someone said in the OT that it's that much because of all the paint on surface data, which seems pretty plausible to me

if this is infact why, the only way nintendo can fix it is to write another compression algorithm that stores the paint on surface data, which i do not see them ever doing

oni-link

yeah, i've reconciled with the unstable connection, although i cannot test it myself since my upload speed is shit, you need at least 100 kilobytes per sec to play
i'm holding off at 50-60kb/s and get a lot d/cs

someone said in the OT that it's that much because of all the paint on surface data, which seems pretty plausible to me

if this is infact why, the only way nintendo can fix it is to write another compression algorithm that stores the paint on surface data, which i do not see them ever doing

I've dropped the game now because of this issue, though I got 65 hours out of it before it went to shit so I feel like I got good value for money, but even though that is a plausible reason, it's shitty they haven't just come out and said that is the reason why so many of us can't play the game anymore

It was fine for everyone beforehand, I mean I played for over 60 hours with no issue, it's only from 2.00 onwards that it's been an issue, and as far as I know cutting off a percentage of the player base didn't result in the majority seeing much of an improvement (or if they did they didn't find it such an improvement that they posted about it online)

The only people posting about this are those who were basically kicked from the online. I picked up Blops 2 on Wii U just for the campaign and had a quick look into the MP to see how it worked (surprisingly there are still people playing) and I went through 4 or 5 matches with no issues or lag or anything. It's a shame when a company that doesn't give a shit about Nintendo still puts more effort into ensuring a smooth online experience for all than Nintendo does

oni-link

Does anyone who has this issue with Splatoon also have Mario Maker and Smash? Do you find the online works well with them?

I'm thinking of picking them up soon but if the online doesn't work well I might wait till they're cheaper

Does anyone who has this issue with Splatoon also have Mario Maker and Smash? Do you find the online works well with them?

I'm thinking of picking them up soon but if the online doesn't work well I might wait till they're cheaper
Since those games don't upload 0.6MBs of a data a second they will be better.

Mario Maker will have no problems. Things like submitting levels and browsing levels might take a bit of time.

As for Smash it handles lag by freezing which is very annoying to play through but it rarely drops people from matches (I think if players drop they turn into CPU). For glory isn't likely to give problems as it just one on one but for fun could be a mess.

Neff

I've always had problems with it, and Mario Kart, and Smash. Being disconnected from a Nintendo game (with the exception of Devil's Third, which seems pretty robust) every 30 mins or so is expected. I know that there's nothing up with my router or connection too, since I don't have this problem with the vast majority of my PSN/XBL games.

For those interested this is my grandparents internet i have been over here all week helpign them out i play splatoon with no disconnects on this shitty internet

4860290436.png

im lan also smash, mario kart, mario tennis all give me no lag issues but im also the only person in the house using the internet. This actually works better than my internet in my house and mine is 10x better than this

Haruko

First time playing since 2.1...

4 straight disconnects at 70-90 seconds into a match.

How fucked am I?

I have 24 down, 3 up

Edit: 5 in a row...

Changed router settings (enabled upstream QoS) and managed to finish a match finally

I've just visited to some friends I've not seen in a while, on the other side of the country, and this came up. They've contacted Nintendo and got to a brick wall.

I'm thinking that a petition might help draw attention to the matter? If anybody else is interested in helping me promote it then I'll set one up.

Anybody?

eviltasan

I'm in the UK and I just don't get why I get matched with Japanese players 90% of the time. I play at what you would think would be prime time for other uk/euro players. Nothing against my fellow Japanese players mind you, it's just I assume the game is hosted by one of the players which makes for a wildly variable experience.

Latest from me: I've requested a refund from Nintendo.

I would like to request a refund/return for my copy of your Splatoon game. I am no longer able to play it online due to changes you have made to the game with your introduction of the version 2 update. Prior to version 2, I was able to play it just fine. No things have changed on my end.
I probably should have added that Testfire sessions with the demo are fine for me.

They got back asking for purchase info, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Latest from me: I've requested a refund from Nintendo.

They got back asking for purchase info, so I'll let you know how it goes.
So they say I have to request a refund from the retailer, which is great as I am encouraging the retailer to put pressure on Nintendo for this.

Sadly, most people with issues just gave up and traded in the game.

Onwards!

NoA has finally acknowledged this in a support solution: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.../splatoon:-a-communication-error-has-occurred.

Situation:
•You are disconnected while playing against others online.
•If this issue occurs often, this is likely the result of a slow Internet connection or poor wireless environment.

What to Do:
1.Visit one of the following sites using the web browser of a device connected to your network (other than your Wii U) and test your Internet speeds: ◦http://linksys.speedtest.net/
◦http://www.speedtest.net/
◦Once the site loads, select the appropriate option to start the test. Both your download and upload speeds should display after the test completes.

2.If you find your download is below 1.5Mbps or your upload is below 1Mbps, this indicates the issue is likely related to your Internet service. Please contact your Internet Service Provider, or a network administrator, for further assistance.

3.If the test results appear OK, then it is likely your Wii U may be receiving a poor wireless signal from the wireless router, attempt the following troubleshooting:

Yeah again, it's not this, this is exclusively a problem that occurred after the 2.00 patch after the game previously had none of these issues

All other online games i've played have worked fine

If it was a slow connection or ports not being opened why do other games work fine and why did this issue not exist with Splatoon from launch to patch 2.00?

That's not how troubleshooting works. I see sooooooo much of this and it's possible that the game has changed in a patch......and can still only be fixed by checking your router settings or fixing problems with your upload speed. The two concepts aren't mutually exclusive and sitting around waiting for a patch that might not fix anything instead of trying a few simple things that might fix your issue is just....stubborn and frankly a bit ignorant. I can't blame you though, the logic of 'this didn't happen before the patch' might easily seem sound in your mind....but it isn't always that simple. people telling you to check your settings are not trying to lay the blame at your feet, they're just trying to help.

Top Bottom