• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

bargeparty

Been playing with motion controls for a while now and doesn't really feel like it's clicking. Really wish I could adjust the controls midgame.

The team I'm on is guaranteed to lose by ludicrous margins regardless so it's not like it makes a difference either way.

Is there any way to check individual stage stats because I would bet money that my winning percentage on that demonic stage is less than 5%.

They only track stats for ranked unfortunately when it comes to individual stage stats

champloo

The team I'm on is guaranteed to lose by ludicrous margins regardless so it's not like it makes a difference either way.

Is there any way to check individual stage stats because I would bet money that my winning percentage on that demonic stage is less than 5%.

You can check stage stats on the mobile app, it only tracks win rates of ranked modes though.

Also, ragequitting will get you banned I believe. You probably need to learn the map better or change a better suited weapon if you are doing so poorly.

Kangi

I love Tower Control.

DFodOrpUMAEnTjD.jpg

The tube almost broke but I managed to win a final match by literally killing all four of the enemy team at a crucial moment.

I think I'm satisfied with B- in Tower Control. Forever. Screw this.

Today I tried to do some story missions but actually legitimately got f*cked up just traversing the hub world (the second one, IDK the name). Like, it took me 20 minutes to even find a pot thing to get to a level, and there are all these balloons in the hub world they want you to shoot in sequence and I can't do it in time.

random25

Cs and B- are really the same shit. It's really not hard to get out of C.

Depends on the mode, but right now escaping C ranks on Tower Control and Splat Zones are hard because there's just a lot of veterans on there that know how to play. I find Rainmaker to be the easiest mode right now to get to higher ranks.

OryoN

Portable splatoon on tethered is great but man playing in handheld mode is not great compared to my pro controller

Tabletop w/pro controller is my go-to for portable. I occasionally settle for handheld mode if I have no choice.

Just got my Pink & Green joycon imports! They look amazing!!!
Awesome. Let me know if the colors are correctly displayed when you sync then at the "change grip/order" screen. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my dual neon yellow Joy-con were accurately displayed. Each Joy-con seem to have an ID that tells the system its color. That's a neat little touch!

How do you even get to level 22 when you suck this fucking much
A) They could have been distracted/idle for a portion of the match.
B) They might have let someone else - less skilled - play a round or two.
C) They might have been trying to practice with a new weapon.
D) They could very well suck, even if only for that particular match.

noquarter

Cs and B- are really the same shit. It's really not hard to get out of C.
It is when you keep getting shitty teammates. Until the past hour, more than half my matches today included a teammate that either DC or did nothing of use. If the other team is even semi competent, you really can't win the match.

I'm finally almost out of C ranks, but there have been so many people that I've been on the same team with that really don't have an idea what the objective is and just paint random corners.

If that the reasoning they're using then it shouldn't be put in as an unlockable in singleplayer that requires that amount of effort. Especially when the other Hero weapons are unlockable.

Its a carrot-on-a-stick that turns out to be a carrot-shaped I.O.U for 1 (One) Carrot to be delivered on Free Carrots for Everyone Day.

So...they should just take out the Brella from story mode until it releases in multiplayer? I don't know what would be a better alternative than what they already have.

Kangi

It's easy to get out of C in Rainmaker and Splat Zone because Joe Schmoe can understand the strategy (death ball into enemy territory, turf war but in an itty bitty space instead).

Tower Control was a living nightmare, though. The screenshots I posted along the way are examples of the rule, not extraordinary exceptions. Something about it people either don't get or their go-to strategies are just suicidal silliness, like constant attempts at "flanks" and super jumping to the other side of the map when the tower is on our side.

Well...I just had a glitch where I leveled up to lv 24 after losing....and it kept going. As in I got about 50,000 experience points. O_O

It stopped right before getting to level 25 and when it went back to the lobby I'm back at Level23 at 49494/49500 so I guess thats what it was supposed to be after the match.

I hope nothing bad happens with my save/switch. Stuff like this scares me.

sikkinixx

Anyone else routinely sit for 2-5 minutes between rounds waiting for a full lobby? With no way to back out I'm getting increasingly frustrated. And why can't I change equipment between matches? I thought this game would be more user friendly given its their second kick at the can

RedFyn

Garbage like this continuously just makes me want to rip out my cartridge and smash it to fucking pieces. Does this game even have matchmaking or is it deliberately putting me in fucking stomps because it hates me.
How do you even get to level 22 when you suck this fucking much

How are you playing turf war. Going for points? Kills? At the start do you paint your base, push to the middle, what? You only got 2 kills which makes me question what you're doing.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate Starfish Mainstage I can never get anything but fucking blown out on that stupid fucking stage.

That fucking does it. From now on I'm just instantly ragequitting any time the game puts me in Starfish Mainstage. There's literally no point in playing when it's just going to be a one-sided stomp no matter what.

You need to try and do something different. If you're having this much trouble on a map you're doing something wrong. I can't tell you what that is without seeing you play but i have a feeling you're trying to paint the ground and avoiding​ fights. This map is small and easy to contain teams. It generally requires a lot more fighting than other maps where you have some more room to move around.

How are you playing turf war. Going for points? Kills? At the start do you paint your base, push to the middle, what? You only got 2 kills which makes me question what you're doing.

lol, I bet I get this a lot, I can get 2400 points in a win with only one kill. (I use the Aerospray which loses 1 on 1 to nearly every weapon so I just flee and repaint)

Why aren't different weapons matched more effectively? I was using inkbrush and was matched with 3 rollers. The other team? 4 aerosprays. Wat

Funny thing is, we won lol

Why aren't different weapons matched more effectively? I was using inkbrush and was matched with 3 rollers. The other team? 4 aerosprays. Wat

Funny thing is, we won lol

Yeah MM can be weird. Especially when they stack the same weapons on a team. It just doesn't make sense. You can easily split the duplicates to the other team but nope, 3 rollers on the same team.

Branduil

You need to try and do something different. If you're having this much trouble on a map you're doing something wrong. I can't tell you what that is without seeing you play but i have a feeling you're trying to paint the ground and avoiding​ fights. This map is small and easy to contain teams. It generally requires a lot more fighting than other maps where you have some more room to move around.

What happens virtually every time is:

1) I move towards a good vantage point while inking along the way.
2) When I try to attack the center stage my teammates are MIA and I get killed from the side by multiple enemies.
3) While I'm dead the rest of my team dies
4) The match is over at that point since once a competent team takes the center of Starfish Mainstage the rest of the game is always just a one-sided stomp.

trixx

From my experience that map is usually a blow out somehow kinda like the first map in the original splatoon game, that they needed to rebalance. It's like if they make it to your base area its very hard to get out because there some idiotic places. Some people stay in the pit where the opposing team keeps throwing bombs so best bet is to go left or right. Both ways the other team can easily intercept

It's all about ground coverage, the less area you have to traverse you're already at a huge disadvantage

TheFatMan

They need to lower the rewards for Salmon Run and make that shit available through matchmaking all the time.

How this mode got through testing with only 1 map and limited access baffles me. It's more fun than the regular multiplayer!

ChrisD

I don't want to be that dude everyone looks at with disdain, but if you're *stuck* in C- (heck, even C), that's not solely on bad teammates. Luck can be totally out of your favor, but you have a pretty decent amount of "free losses" before deranking.

Some quick tips:

-Use your minimap. You want to slowly close in the enemies.

-Don't paint your base on spawn, get to objective ASAP, but,

-Play safe, use your range; if you're a short-ranged weapon try to flank one person through a back path. Don't face multiple people.

-Use Specials to push enemies away/kill them. Ask yourself, "Will this achieve a goal?" before popping your Super. Goal can be a number of things, but it's typically to keep people at bay when you're winning, or to open a path when losing. If you're the last one alive and not in a do or lose moment, wait until others are alive to capitalize on your mayhem.

-Unless you're sure of yourself and the game is about to close out, do NOT spawn camp the enemy, this is the leading cause of wipes.

-To quote Marie from Story Mode (paraphrased): "Always make sure you have an escape before you engage."

-DO. NOT. PLAY. ON. TILT. Walk away, come back later. I've lost entire ranks before because of my inability to just put down the controller.

Getting to B- for League Battle is certainly a dumb requirement nonetheless. It should just be available for everyone. :

Hugstable

Banned
They need to lower the rewards for Salmon Run and make that shit available through matchmaking all the time.

How this mode got through testing with only 1 map and limited access baffles me. It's more fun than the regular multiplayer!

Seriously! I like the Multiplayer, but I freaking LOVE Salmon run!!! I want to be able to play it at all times!

Bought Splatoon 2, still fun but I find myself disappointed at the missed potential here.

The core gameplay is still great, but it still has those annoyances from Splatoon 1 that I thought would be improved/fixed in the sequel.

It's two maps though, but the one is terrible

The good one is the ship with the elevator things on the sides

Oreoleo

What happens virtually every time is:

4) The match is over at that point since once a competent team takes the center of Starfish Mainstage the rest of the game is always just a one-sided stomp.

I have not found this to be true at all. In my experience I've found Starfish Mainstage to have more back and forth than most maps. Once a team pushes past mid they are funneled into a smaller area compared to other maps and you can get the drop on a player from above or flank from the sides and cover a lot of ground before respawns start pouring in. You just have to use your positioning to get those key kills to be able to make up ground unlike other maps where playing around the other team is more viable.

trixx

Bought Splatoon 2, still fun but I find myself disappointed at the missed potential here.

The core gameplay is still great, but it still has those annoyances from Splatoon 1 that I thought would be improved/fixed in the sequel.

yeah to me it feels the same add some new maps, rebalances and Salmon run. They could've done a lot oh well.

They needa bring back the skate park map

ChrisD

Seriously! I like the Multiplayer, but I freaking LOVE Salmon run!!! I want to be able to play it at all times!

Salmon Run is amazing. But I still haven't been able to play with some friends, because of scheduling conflicts. I want it to at least be an every other day thing. 22 (or 24) hours. None of this 12 hours, wait for multiple days business.

I never played Splatoon 1 so it's all fresh for me lol. I think Splatoon 3 will see a lot more changes.

So is there like... a good competitive strategy guide to turf war?

Like, important things...

when I'm shooting at someone and they quickly get behind me and my controller isn't fast enough to turn me around, is there like a strat to repeatedly clicking Y to reset my screen to kind of skip the turning animation? Is that a thing? Stuff like that I'm wondering about.

trixx

Fixed.

I'm thinking people will start finding SR repetitive and goes back to rank. At least that's what I expect to happen in the next few weeks.

That map as well! I didn't play much on the new maps so many gimmicks but i did like the one with the islands or whatever. That was fun

egruntz

shelaughz

when I'm shooting at someone and they quickly get behind me and my controller isn't fast enough to turn me around, is there like a strat to repeatedly clicking Y to reset my screen to kind of skip the turning animation? Is that a thing? Stuff like that I'm wondering about.

...Increase your sensitivity in the menu.

...Increase your sensitivity in the menu.

I don't like it. For whatever reason having it on super high twitch sensitivity the pro controller just doesn't jive for me like an Xbox controller does with COD or something.

Edit: Mostly because I've been experiencing this feeling of "drift" where I'll stop moving but my gun will continue to move for a split second afterwards. This is not a thing in COD.

Jintor

Here's another hint - living teammates are an asset, so don't cowboy into the centre of your entire team is dead. Even if your mates are idiots, they're still useful as distractions

ChrisD

I never use Y for quick turn-around. Just a strong flick of the stick and a quick hand movement in my wanted direction. I don't want to speak for others, but I'm fairly certain it's how most players do things, since Y can throw your aim off balance.

And yeah, raise your sensitivity(s). Or lower them. Fiddle with things until you find what works best for you.

ThatSRB2Dude is a good person to watch for high-level gameplay. Watch his "Tearing it Up" series from Splat1 for (some) Turf War played by a pro.

Here's another hint - living teammates are an asset, so don't cowboy into the centre of your entire team is dead. Even if your mates are idiots, they're still useful as distractions

So very true. This may or may not be how I leveled up in Splat Zones. Get behind the enemy, hide for a bit, then when my team all moves in to die I killed. There were casualties, but... :p

XaosWolf

So...they should just take out the Brella from story mode until it releases in multiplayer? I don't know what would be a better alternative than what they already have.

Not asking them to remove it, no. They ideallyneeded to make sure that those Hero weapons were ready for release day.
Its just weird that the unlock doesn't work the same as the other weapons.

I went through the unlock process of with the Brella specifically because it wasn't a weapon type already available in Turf War. Having it unlock when it unlocks for everyone else gives you zero incentive for playing through single player for it.

Is there a Salmon Run leaderboard for eggs collected in one game yet?

Takashi Mochizuki tweeted that a Japanese team got 87 in a game. I (my team) got 79 in one two days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom