• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Maridia

Is it totally unreasonable of me to think that there ought to be some kind of safeguard against your meeting breaking (losing a rank) if you're #1 in kills or turf covered or whatever? Is this just me justifying my own shittiness?

Estoc

Flingza Roller is so fucking awful it can't even work in Salmon Run

Also why the hell are people so bad with chargers?

What's wrong with it? I really like it because of its look.

For your second question: Because some of us are very bad at shooter, but that's why I'll skip Salmon Run if it has charger in its selection.

DjRalford

Ranked matchmaking is truest garbage tier

Me with 3 teen Lvls vs 4 30 somethings

Also what determines end position in the team?

I have almost double the kills of my team multiple times but wasn't always top

Salmon run was messed up for me tonight, I swear it was running waaaay higher % than it showed and everytime I won it would refuse to budge from 140% even though we had like 5 bosses coming at once during the whole match. I stuck it out and got my super bonus and gtfo lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh. Just seen I've unlocked some wallpapers due to the amount of ink I've turfed. Pretty neat.

Maridia

I think position is always based on turf covered (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), meaning that it's largely meaningless in ranked modes. The amount of "rank" that you earn, though, is based on some secret sauce that factors in a number of things. However, doesn't help if your team loses!

(I'm a little angry about this right now)

D.Lo

Great post, thanks.

So much merch, but where is a zapfish plush?? That's what I really want.
That was a good read.
That's really cool, thanks for sharing.
This was an awesome read.

I knew Tower Records was doing cross-promotion because of the Wet Floor CD, but I didn't even think of them tying in the Splatfest demo too. That's really cool.
Thanks ya'll, I'll post part 2 when it's done. The Switch lottery lines were truly next-level stuff.

DjRalford

I think position is always based on turf covered (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), meaning that it's largely meaningless in ranked modes. The amount of "rank" that you earn, though, is based on some secret sauce that factors in a number of things. However, doesn't help if your team loses!

They need to do some general weapon balancing too, no way a blaster should be able to snipe from the bridge whilst I'm about splaytershot distance away, and I still cant work out how you can be splatter by bombs through a wall or behind a pillar

GokouD

Level doesn't really mean anything, not sure how it works in this game but in the first one matchmaking was done based on general playstyle i.e how much you kill or ink. I'm pretty sure your position on the board in ranked is based on your win/loss ratio in the last 10 games.

DjRalford

Level doesn't really mean anything, not sure how it works in this game but in the first one matchmaking was done based on general playstyle i.e how much you kill or ink. I'm pretty sure your position on the board in ranked is based on your win/loss ratio in the last 10 games.

It's annoying as I've had plenty of games with the highest kills, only died once or twice, and performed 90% of the objective and still not come in top

D.Lo

Yeah any time I see myself matched with lower level players I lower my head in shame, it's essentially the game saying "yeah you're not in-form right now are you?"

Same with the opposite, my Japanese account was Level 3, and I started playing it again, but after dominating a couple of games with the crappy default gear I found my Level 3/4 matched with a bunch of high 30s.

DjRalford

Yeah any time I see myself matched with lower level players I lower my head in shame, it's essentially the game saying "yeah you're not in-form right now are you?"

Same with the opposite, my Japanese account was Level 3, and I started playing it again, but after dominating a couple of games with the crappy default gear I found my Level 3/4 matched with a bunch of high 30s.

That makes no sense

If your playing like shit why would it match you with shit players against good ones, you will just continue to lose, surely it would match you with reasonable ones to balance you up.

q2Lb1t6.jpg
Dapple Dualies aren't good, huh?

D.Lo

That makes no sense

If your playing like shit why would it match you with shit players against good ones, you will just continue to lose, surely it would match you with reasonable ones to balance you up.
No, when you're playing badly, it puts you with players of a skill level that matches how you are doing at the moment. If you keep losing or doing poorly in ink/kills, eventually you'll be paired with complete noobs so you get some wins in.

The team lists at the end of each ranked match is just based on win ratio for the past 10 matches. The more matches you've won (including the one you just played), the higher you will place on your team's list. Turf score does not influence your placing.

DjRalford

No, when you're playing badly, it puts you with players of a skill level that matches how you are doing at the moment. If you keep losing or doing poorly in ink/kills, eventually you'll be paired with complete noobs so you get some wins in.

But I keep getting shit players on my team, matched against much better ones, which means I have a very slim chance of winning

Edit

I'm done this is pissing me off too much now

Me at 18, and I'm put with a 5, 7, & 14, against 2 x 18, a 24 and a 37.

No wonder I only have a 50% win ratio on my last 50 games.

8bit

Knows the Score
Did you know the rainmaker gets reset if you take back to your base? I wish my teams hadn't demonstrated that to me more than once.

DjRalford

Did you know the rainmaker gets reset if you take back to your base? I wish my teams hadn't demonstrated that to me more than once.

I thought it reset on suicide too but the other day when trying it just left it next to where I jumped off, im sure I saw people doing it at e3.

I thought it reset on suicide too but the other day when trying it just left it next to where I jumped off, im sure I saw people doing it at e3.
I think the fish (a common nickname for the rainmaker) will reset itself back to the center of the map if it is left alone for a long duration. I'm very certain that a popped fish will reset if left alone for like 10ish seconds. I don't recall if a shielded fish will eventually reset, though I'm leaning more towards no.

Also, if you jump off the side on the enemy's half of the map, the fish will remain in the position when you were last touching the ground. Suiciding to reset the fish only works if you suicide in a place where your team doesn't make progress (such as your team's half of the map) or in anti-rainmaker areas. Do note that the enemy still has an opportunity to kill the fish carrier before the fish carrier successfully resets, which will keep the fish in the same place.

pringles

Nah, this weapon set is actually pretty good, the problem is people don't know how to use them.

Charger- self-explanatory

N-Zap- killing lots of shit

Octobrush- creating quick paths to eggs and bosses

Roller- Keeping the area near the egg basket painted in your ink, rolling over smaller mobs

But people try to play hero squid no matter their weapon and fuck everything up.
Yeah the problem I think is not enough people realize they need to be cleaning up mobs in order to allow the charger player to take out bosses. N-Zap user should be 90% focused on that. Roller really needs to actually roll in order to take care of the smallest mobs and create paths to and from the basket. Brush is very mobile and should collect eggs and using that mobility to quickly take out stingers and steel eels. It's a decent weapon set if people know their roles.

audio_delay

Neo Member
Yeah the problem I think is not enough people realize they need to be cleaning up mobs in order to allow the charger player to take out bosses. N-Zap user should be 90% focused on that. Roller really needs to actually roll in order to take care of the smallest mobs and create paths to and from the basket. Brush is very mobile and should collect eggs and using that mobility to quickly take out stingers and steel eels. It's a decent weapon set if people know their roles.

You should be really pairing up. Nothing is more annoying if you get handed a charger and smallfries starts bugging you, when you try to take care of a steelhead, and the roller or brush guy are nowhere to be seen.

ChrisD

I couldn't sleep and gave in to the temptation to play some squib in bed. Not sure if it's just a one-night thing, but H3 is a new love. A weapon that Point Sensors makes so much sense on. Also, Tenta Missiles are awesome and I don't like enough weapons with them in the kit.

Side note, playing this game on mute makes some things easier, as the music and sounds can overwhelm at points. But.. mostly it just makes it all way harder. Not being able to hear bombs, Specials, flanks, and a lot of little cues.. Oof.

Mediking

I couldn't sleep and gave in to the temptation to play some squib in bed. Not sure if it's just a one-night thing, but H3 is a new love. A weapon that Point Sensors makes so much sense on. Also, Tenta Missiles are awesome and I don't like enough weapons with them in the kit.

Side note, playing this game on mute makes some things easier, as the music and sounds can overwhelm at points. But.. mostly it just makes it all way harder. Not being able to hear bombs, Specials, flanks, and a lot of little cues.. Oof.

Splatoon 2 is a great podcast game. I always mute while I play and listen to a podcast.

ChrisD

Splatoon 2 is a great podcast game. I always mute while I play and listen to a podcast.

It certainly gives the game a different feel. I had music on through my earphones (Persona Live 'Best of' that showed up in my Recommended), because while I didn't want to hear Splat directly in my ears (too much goes on for me to wear direct sound), I did want to hear something.

The next time I play undocked, I'll give a podcast a shot. The newest EZA cast would work well~

Haha, just checked and I actually went negative with my H3 games. 4/5. Thought I did a bit better than that. I did drag it right into Ranked, though, so I'm actually a bit proud of even that many wins. :p

Mediking

It certainly gives the game a different feel. I had music on through my earphones (Persona Live 'Best of' that showed up in my Recommended), because while I didn't want to hear Splat directly in my ears (too much goes on for me to wear direct sound), I did want to hear something.

The next time I play undocked, I'll give a podcast a shot. The newest EZA cast would work well~

Haha, just checked and I actually went negative with my H3 games. 4/5. Thought I did a bit better than that. I did drag it right into Ranked, though, so I'm actually a bit proud of even that many wins. :p

You like Persona music and EZA? You have my respect!

timshundo

Back in the orignal’s Days, playing at 2:30am like I am now would have meant I was playing exclusively with Japanese players. Now the server can’t find anyone to play with. I have a feeling nintendo is hyper localizing matchmaking so I can only be paired with people on my side of the states because there’s no way there’s only 40-50 players in all of NA right now. Just keep on playin mg the same people.

I wonder if they did this so that I would experience less lag playing with people within 1000mi of me which would allow them to drop the tick rate since I’m not dealing with transpacific connections to Asia... which is dumb. Lol

It’s just me and another player named “hermina” alone right now in a room, again, trying to get matched... the last one timed out. :/

8bit

Knows the Score
I think the fish (a common nickname for the rainmaker) will reset itself back to the center of the map if it is left alone for a long duration. I'm very certain that a popped fish will reset if left alone for like 10ish seconds. I don't recall if a shielded fish will eventually reset, though I'm leaning more towards no.

Also, if you jump off the side on the enemy's half of the map, the fish will remain in the position when you were last touching the ground. Suiciding to reset the fish only works if you suicide in a place where your team doesn't make progress (such as your team's half of the map) or in anti-rainmaker areas. Do note that the enemy still has an opportunity to kill the fish carrier before the fish carrier successfully resets, which will keep the fish in the same place.

Hmm, admittedly my anecdotal evidence is that in both cases I saw this one of my team ran back towards the tent but I lost track of them after that. Possibly they managed to do something even dumber next.

I'm never going to understand the mentality of someone that (for instance) waits for a team game to start then insists on jumping up and down on the spot for 90 seconds.

MGrant

Dapple Dualies aren't good, huh?

dapple dualies are op in turf war. They kill faster than an aerospray, are great for painting, and you get one of the best control specials in the suction bomb launcher. It's the only weapon behind the tri-slosh that I think needs a balancing look.

Edit: oh and of course Dodge rolling.

Pikma

Banned
What's wrong with it? I really like it because of its look.

For your second question: Because some of us are very bad at shooter, but that's why I'll skip Salmon Run if it has charger in its selection.
Flingza is slow, ineffective and it's strengths are null compared to the other rollers, which are already weaker than they used to be in Splatoon 1.

And about chargers, it's alright, I'm sure you'll get better but what bothers me is that people who are at the Profreshional rank, who supposedly have at least enough experience, can't hit a steelhead even with zero pressure, which are arguably one of the biggest strengths for chargers in Salmon Run, that and Grillers.

random25

dapple dualies are op in turf war. They kill faster than an aerospray, are great for painting, and you get one of the best control specials in the suction bomb launcher. It's the only weapon behind the tri-slosh that I think needs a balancing look.

Edit: oh and of course Dodge rolling.

Dapple dualies are meant for splatting. It has better damage but less range compared to splat dualies. They are like sploosh.

DjRalford

I am sick to death of getting splattered by fucking sniper Luna blasters, the range on them is rediculous for a blaster weapon

I really enjoy using rollers. But i hope they get a bit of a buff. I only played the first game for about a week. So i dont have anything really to compare too. People said they were OP? So, Im not asking for a major buff. Just something to make them more viable.

I 'roll' with the carbon roller cause i find its the most useful of the bunch. Having a decent loadout and speed where i can react fast enough. I find the other rollers have a really slow wind up time for vertical and horizontal swings. And for a game with smallish maps and lots of high speed attack weapons, you might as well have a big target on you while your in the middle of a swing.

DaBoss

You should stream or record footage if you don't already. I'd love to see and (hopefully) learn from the play. DUDE and fuzzy 2dos are always an option, but more people would show different playstyles.
Also, that's nuts. For some reason I didn't realize that you have two nearly at 50. How many times have you jumped multiple tiers? :eek:

What does cF stand for? I've seen the tag a few times in solos. Of course, most of them are probably fakes (like the three "sendou" I've seen already), but they clearly know it means something. :p

E: forgot 2dos' name and just defaulted to Fuzzy for some reason
I actually do stream, but scheduling is a bit hard due to work, so I do it whenever I can.

For SZ, I skipped +10 each time except the last time where it was +7 and then +3. Can't remember TC and RM skips that well.

cF stands for Crème Fresh.

JCH!

Does this game have any kind of skill based matchmaking or is it completely fucking random?

I just played a Turf War in which my team averaged level 20 (I'm only level 8) vs a team that averaged level 44. Was not fun.

Does this game have any kind of skill based matchmaking or is it completely fucking random?

I just played a Turf War in which my team averaged level 20 (I'm only level 8) vs a team that averaged level 44. Was not fun.

Im not sure exactly how they figure it out. But it is wonky for sure. Some people said that its based on loadouts. But to me that doesnt seem right cause ive often enough been on teams with 3 other rollers. Or went against 4 people charger teams or 4 people aero teams.

Also, when i was in my level 20s still. Id also get matched up with 3 other people sub level 10. Then go up against a team that are 25+. To be fair, level isnt always indicative of skill in this game. But for some cases you have to figure some of them are new which can put you at a disadvantage for sure.

Id really like to hear an some official Nintendo talk just discussing how they set up matchmaking for sure.

When you lose Rainmaker LITERALLY in the last five seconds. FeelsBadMan

Rainmaker is the most emotional mode for me. I've picked up the ball at the last moment and run it in just far enough to eke out a win, and I've had heartbreaking last-second losses. I've been on both sides of 30-second stomps.

It's still my least favorite ranked mode though.

Top Bottom